Europe Box Lunches, Food/Snacks Off the Ship?

TLCOhio

here are the E.U. Regulations.

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/animalproducts/personal_imports/index_en.htm

That ham and cheese sandwich -- where did the ham come from? how about the cheese? That yogurt -- what is its origin? And the butter on that bread?

Looks like a peanut butter sandwich might (emphasis on might) be ok, in the E.U.

But to be safe, stick with the pre-packaged snack foods.

if you tried to take off any of these in an Australian or NZ port it's a $220 fine..the sniffer dogs would soon find it

The last time we went to Sydney we were visiting our daughter who was studying at U of Sydney. She wanted to have a big Halloween party for her mates, like the big one at Chapel Hill that takes over the town, and asked me to bring lots of Halloween candy and cookies such as Oreos, that could be found there but were prohibitively expensive. Being a good mum, I filled a large suitcase with enough candy and brownie cake mixes and Halloween party plates, etc to treat the entire uni. I did not declare it and the dogs didn't get, it the big x ray machine did. My heart sunk when they pulled it off and drew my husband aside who immediately pointed at me, (he had no knowledge of the contents but still... he remains in the dog house ) A custom officer who looked like he had been surfing that morning with his blond dreads, questioned me and gave me quite the tongue lashing but let me off. He did tell me that next time there would be consequences. He was so good looking that I almost gave him my daughter's number in case he wanted to come to the Halloween party :D.

here are the E.U. Regulations.

That ham and cheese sandwich -- where did the ham come from? how about the cheese? That yogurt -- what is its origin? And the butter on that bread?

Looks like a peanut butter sandwich might (emphasis on might) be ok, in the E.U.

But to be safe, stick with the pre-packaged snack foods.

Thank you for posting this link. I have searched for a long time for factual, correct information on this question. This gets me a little closer but there are still questions that don't seem to be answered because cruising is such a different case from entering, say, an EU country from a non-EU country by airplane.

For example:

1) Why is it that some cruiselines do offer boxed meals to passengers on tours (and even in some cases not on tours)? Are they breaking the law?

2) Do cruise ships that are in the Mediterranean for the entire season (or sometimes year-round) actually get their food from US sources? Totally? Partially?

I suspect that in some cases the ships are provisioned with a mix of food from the US and EU sources. I'm also aware that, while there are some overall EU regulations, the member states occasionally have their own supplemental regulations. I'm guessing the cruise ships don't want to try to figure out what ports it might be okay to carry off food (and what types of food) -- it would just be confusing to passengers. So they -- for the most part -- probably just have a blanket policy not to explicitly allow it.

Some people have a knee-jerk reaction to this question, but it's not that simple. Just because the regulations in Mexico or the Caribbean say you cannot bring food off doesn't necessarily mean the same rules are in effect everywhere. Another thing I do know for sure (and has already been stated on this thread) is that until recent years, most of the individual EU countries were pretty lax with regards to their own agricultural bans on what travelers could bring into the country. It has generally been the US that has been strict on imports of meat and produce, rather than the European countries. However, since the 2000s, the situation is murkier.

Anyway, I know this doesn't answer Terry's question. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the definitive info for cruise ships in Europe?

It seems logical to me that the cruise ships can account for exactly where every item served on board comes from. Those lines that choose to prepare box lunches would be able to say that every item they have put into their meal qualifies, but a passenger who goes to the buffet, grabs some bread, meat, cheese, sandwich spread, yogurts, etc. has no idea if they have chosen the foods that would be allowed or not. Say that the cruise ship has some cold cuts from Denmark and some from Virginia. They can pick the hams that would be allowable in the E.U. but the passenger could not make the same decisions. They might know that the oranges were purchased in the E.U. but the apples were not, or that the butter comes from Denmark but the yogurt doesn't.

For those lines which choose not to make up box lunches at all, it seems probable that they wish to avoid the entire issue of what is allowed and what isn't.

Hi Terry,

You asked a reasonable question, but there does not seem to be a definitive answer. (But plenty of snarky ones) I do remember certain ports (& they were EU ports) having signs forbidding any fruits/vegetable to be brought ashore. I'm sure prepackaged foods such as granola bars are acceptable. I think the boxed lunch mystery will have to be solved once you are on board (like a lot of celebrity questions, you'd get 10 different answers if you called them 10 times;) )

When you return, will you please let us know what actually was allowed/not allowed, & whether there were any boxed lunches to be had?

Thanks

Hi Terry, You asked a reasonable question, but there does not seem to be a definitive answer. (But plenty of snarky ones) I do remember certain ports (& they were EU ports) having signs forbidding any fruits/vegetable to be brought ashore. I'm sure prepackaged foods such as granola bars are acceptable. I think the boxed lunch mystery will have to be solved once you are on board (like a lot of celebrity questions, you'd get 10 different answers if you called them 10 times. When you return, will you please let us know what actually was allowed/not allowed, & whether there were any boxed lunches to be had? Thanks

cruisemom42: Anyway' date=' I know this doesn't answer Terry's question. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the definitive info for cruise ships in Europe? [/quote']

THANKS to Kitty, Cynthia and others for the various and many varied items of information. Clearly as I originally raised this question, it was not about what might happen in Australia, SE Asia, South America or the Carib.

My focus is on Europe and our June 7-19 cruise on the Solstice out of Spain that reaches France, Italy and the Croatian Coast. It is also clear that with two other cruises we did in the Baltics and Norway, that our two different ship staffs very nicely prepared box lunches for us on four different times. This was with Crystal and Silversea, so hopefully they were knowledgeable and experienced in doing these things. Both had boxes and carrying devices for such carry-off use.

From the very helpful and listed EU post from cruisestitch:

and other web sources, it seems to be clear that food items from one EU country can be taken into other EU countries. The major worry or threat seems to be about non-EU items being taken into the EU, concerned about potential health risk to EU livestock, certain animal diseases, etc.

From this website, there is also . . . "an exemption for . . . products do not require refrigeration before opening, packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer, and (where) the packaging is unbroken."

On our Celebrity ship from Barcelona (a part of the EU) will be lots and lots of food and items either from the EU and/or approved to enter and be in Spain. Then the Solstice would be docking in other EU countries such as France and Italy. On that site they say: "These rules do not apply to animal products transported between the 27 Member States of the EU, or for animal products coming from Andorra, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino, and Switzerland." Many of these rules are following the 2001 Foot and Mouth Disease epidemic in Europe.

Will definitely do more checking on our ship to get better details for what works and what does not. If anyone has added WITHIN EUROPE experiences, please share.

Appreciate the help and insights. Even a few of the "snarks" have been fun. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,760 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Celebrity does not offer box lunches; that is a fact.

I keep hearing a couple of people saying they will "check on the ship" about what foods they may bring off the ship with them. That is unwise. Do not expect the people on the ship to be experts on the agricultural laws of the countries you are visiting. While you might receive accurate information, you very well may not (and you will not know at the time if the information you have received is correct). If somebody on the ship says it is fine to bring anything you'd like off the ship, and you subsequently are caught by local authorities with an item they deem illegal, it will do you no good to say that the cruise ship said it was fine.

If you plan to bring food items off the ship with you, it is prudent to either bring only sealed, prepackaged items (i.e. granola bars, protein bars etc.) OR to find out prior to your cruise information about the agricultural laws in the countries you are visiting. Do not assume that just because a cruise ship is only calling at different EU countries that there are no restrictions on bringing food off the ship; that likely is not the case.

Hi Terry,

We are on the same cruise as you and have cruised in Europe with Celebrity many times. Their policy and practice is that they do not prepare box lunches. I don't think anyone has been snarky and the advice is correct.

Given the discussion here, thought I might suggest, when traveling between EU countries - one might buy snacks in a EU country that can be used in other EU ports. That would solve the problem.

When we are in ports we often buy food items from local markets. It is fun to shop like the locals. If you keep your receipts if anyone asks, you can show them where items were purchased.

We have traveled extensively to/from US/EU and within the EU. But sometimes you get caught with food when you didn't even know you had it or it was not allowed and it becomes a big hassle. A few years ago we were traveling between the US/EU and had our cat with us (as we were moving) and I had a little ziplock bag of cat food, maybe a cup. We had to give it up and go through a special agricultural spiel. It is a funny story now but we could have been fined and it was nerve wracking when you are in a hurry. Long story short, I wouldn't try it.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would pay so much money for a cruise and then turn around and make ham and cheese sandwiches to take on an outing!

While I generally prefer to eat locally, I can understand those who, on occasion, want to maximize their sightseeing time by eating on the go.

Given the discussion here, thought I might suggest, when traveling between EU countries - one might buy snacks in a EU country that can be used in other EU ports. That would solve the problem.

When we are in ports we often buy food items from local markets. It is fun to shop like the locals. If you keep your receipts if anyone asks, you can show them where items were purchased.

This is a terrific idea. :)

THANKS to Kitty, Cynthia and others for the various and many varied items of information. Clearly as I originally raised this question, it was not about what might happen in Australia, SE Asia, South America or the Carib.

My focus is on Europe . . .

If anyone has added WITHIN EUROPE experiences, please share.

Appreciate the help and insights. Even a few of the "snarks" have been fun. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry,

I hope you get your definitive answer, but I fear you will not! I commend you for trying to find out, and for wanting to do the right thing. I'm sure that, in the absence of a complete answer, you will err on the side of caution. :)

I posted what I did in response to the poster who stated that food cannot be imported into the EU from countries outside the EU. My experience at the time was that food could be imported into the UK (which is part of the EU) and that no check was made at a time when the UK was already in the midst of the foot-and-moth epidemic. Maybe things have changed since 2001, but I doubt it, as I have entered the UK several times since then and have never had to declare foodstuffs.

I know you think that the posters (me included) who mentioned what happens in other countries were off-topic, but I know that there are people who will read on CC that you can take food off the ship in Europe and who will then interpret that as a universal rule, applicable anywhere in the world. For that reason alone, it does no harm to say what happens in other countries, such as Australia, New Zealand and some South American countries.

Posting what happens elsewhere in the world just may save some cruiser from incurring an instant fine, or (even more important) may prevent some country dependent on agriculture from being invaded by foreign pests or infection.

Enjoy your cruise!

Celle

Maybe I am a bit of a cynic, although everyone calls me the eternal optimist, but I think alot of this has to do with not spending any money on food.

Oh, I think there are several motivations --

1. not having to have local money ashore (or find a place that takes credit cards)

2. if you have a bit of a fickle stomach, not having to buy food from unknown vendors. A friend who cruises a lot never eats a meal away from the ship due to allergies. By taking snacks known to be ok, hunger pangs can be staved off without taking any chances.

3. wanting to spend as much time seeing the sights as possible, without having to hunt for a restaurant and taking time for a meal

4. yes, saving money is one motivation -- you have already paid for food on the ship, so taking a sandwich seems like a thrifty idea, (although we now know that the sandwich should be made of foods that are allowable ashore!)

I get all the reasons, but just don't want anyone's vacation day ruined by having tried to take forbidden things into the countries that they are visiting.

2. if you have a bit of a fickle stomach, not having to buy food from unknown vendors. A friend who cruises a lot never eats a meal away from the ship due to allergies. By taking snacks known to be ok, hunger pangs can be staved off without taking any chances.

Most definitely. While some of us are fortunate to be able to eat 'locally' around the world without issues, it's good to recognise that not everyone is.

Oh, I think there are several motivations --

1. not having to have local money ashore (or find a place that takes credit cards)

3. wanting to spend as much time seeing the sights as possible, without having to hunt for a restaurant and taking time for a meal

4. yes, saving money is one motivation -- you have already paid for food on the ship, so taking a sandwich seems like a thrifty idea, (although we now know that the sandwich should be made of foods that are allowable ashore!)

I get all the reasons, but just don't want anyone's vacation day ruined by having tried to take forbidden things into the countries that they are visiting.

sasset: When we are in ports we often buy food items from local markets. It is fun to shop like the locals. If you keep your receipts if anyone asks' date=' you can show them where items were purchased. Maybe I am a bit of a cynic, although everyone calls me the eternal optimist, but I think alot of this has to do with not spending any money on food. [/quote']

celle: I hope you get your definitive answer' date=' but I fear you will not! I commend you for trying to find out, and for wanting to do the right thing. I'm sure that, in the absence of a complete answer, you will err on the side of caution. [/quote']

cruisemom42: While I generally prefer to eat locally' date=' I can understand those who, on occasion, want to maximize their sightseeing time by eating on the go. [/quote']

YES, guilty as charged, on some of the wise and varied reasons noted by cruisestitch. In ultra-costly Norway, saving money was one of the factors considered. In one town in Norway, for our friends, a small pizza and hamburger, plus two drinks totaled $65. Saving time sitting and waiting to order, get food prepared, pay your bill, etc. were also an important points. BUT, in doing certain of what we did in going to more remote areas along the Norway coast, the good dining options there were fairly limited to non-existent. On or near a bird island does not have much in the way of dining options. Plus, it was fun, quick and easy sitting in a super-scenic site on a picnic table have a quick lunch.

Clearly I have no intentions to "take forbidden things into the countries that they are visiting". That's why, in advance, I was raising the questions and seeking the added, specific info. Have had lots of charming lunches in towns and places as we have traveled over the years in Europe. Just wanted to check, IN ADVANCE, on the options on what we have done successfully in the past for other parts of Europe. Appreciate the details and background provide. Keep sharing any added insights and experiences in Europe.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,815 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived