Single Supplements

decibeldb

Hi Gang

Does anyone know if there is a list anywhere of cruise line single supplements.

I have to admit I got excited about the cost of an Oceania cruise from Cape Town to Singapore until I noticed the 200% single supplement which was a bit depressing.

Cheers

db

Yeah, that's the way it goes.

I'm not a happy camper about that, but there is economic discrimination against singles that is more serious then the supplements on cruises and in hotels.

There are a number of cruise ships with single rooms -- on Travel Advisor they said that it's growing. Didn't compare the rates to a single room with a single taking a double, but I would bet it's more like 125% - 150% than 150% 200 %

Hi Gang

Does anyone know if there is a list anywhere of cruise line single supplements.

I have to admit I got excited about the cost of an Oceania cruise from Cape Town to Singapore until I noticed the 200% single supplement which was a bit depressing.

Cheers

db

Go to the Solos Cruises board on this site. People post deals for solos cruisers that they find.

Also if you sign up to get travel deals from travel sites they send you specials on single supplements.

Single supplements vary from cruise line to cruise line. They vary from ship to ship. They vary from cabin category to cabin category. They vary from date to date. There is no set in stone rate. The only thing you can do is find a cruise you like and price it out. Don't get hung up on the single supplement percentage. It's the final price that's important.

Cruiseships should simply post the price of the cabin, for up to 2 people, instead of "per person, double occupancy"! That's usually what hotels do....same price for the room for UP TO 2 PEOPLE! that way, folks wouldn't get so upset about pricing!!!

But you only have to pay the taxes/port charges once! :D:p:)

Unfortunately not true.. misconception of many cruisers.

The port charges are now included in the cruisefare by all major cruiselines, and run maybe $50 per port.. most posters are like you and blissfully unaware that if they pay a 200% supplement they pay double port fees ... at least on Carnival.

I have heard RCL subtracts out the NCFs (port charges) and you dont pay them twice ... but you sure do on Carnival.

There is a TA site, that on the home page you can click on "singles discounts" which takes you to all the deals less than 200%.

very easy to find. carnival now has pretty much NO deals for solos, but the rest of the lines have deals all the time.

The port charges are now included in the cruisefare by all major cruiselines, and run maybe $50 per port.. most posters are like you and blissfully unaware that if they pay a 200% supplement they pay double port fees ... at least on Carnival.

I have heard RCL subtracts out the NCFs (port charges) and you dont pay them twice ... but you sure do on Carnival.

I might be a lot of things, but blissfully unaware is not one of them. I just thought that everyone did it like my line of choice - Crystal (with a 25% single supplement). You don't have to worry about ever finding me on Carnival or any of the other lines of that ilk. :D

This is not correct either. Princess does not include port taxes and fees in their fare listing. It shows as an additional charge and a solo only pays it once.

HAL used to have a "guaranteed share" program. Meaning, you gave permission when booking your cruise for HAL to find a same-sex room mate willing to pay the other half of the double-occupancy rate plus port charges and taxes. If no one signed up, you paid half of the double cruise rate and full taxes and port charges. I did this once, and had the whole cabin to myself!! Great rate, and great cruise!!

NCL is offering some solo rooms that are made specifically for solo travelers. They even include a lounge for all of the solo people to meet up. I've pointed these out to my father who would still like to go on a cruise every once in a while now that my mother passed away about 2 years ago.

A TA told me that special single rates are sometimes offered during the summer when a lot of families cruise, something to do with having a lot of cabins with three or four passengers and hitting the maximum capacity of the ship. It didn't seem attractive to me because, as a single, the last thing I want to do is sail on a ship that is crowded with families and kids.

This is not correct either. Princess does not include port taxes and fees in their fare listing. It shows as an additional charge and a solo only pays it once.

Im sorry to clue you in, but FL AG in the mid 1990s forced all major cruise lines to include port charges in the fare. The add on taxes and fees are NOT port charges.

The part of the fare that is port charges is called noncommionable fare or NCF. Its been like this as I said since FL AG did the class action suit. Believe me Princess was not excluded. In the old days you would see a cruise advertised for $300 and then then would add $300 in fees and port charges, and FL AG said deceptive advertising, so now all the major cruiseline have to include port charges in the cruisefare.

Before you correct someone ... you should find out your facts. Princess was not excluded. sorry.

The only thing you can do is find a cruise you like and price it out. Don't get hung up on the single supplement percentage. It's the final price that's important.

I'll "second" that. As a frequent solo cruiser, I don't pay much attention to the percentage. Rather, I set a maximum daily rate that I'm willing to pay (usually $200) and then shop for cruises/cabins within that limit. I usually book repositioning cruises because they tend to have a lower cost per day (and a more interesting itinerary, in my opinion).

I hate to tell you this firefly, but your information is not correct. Crystal Cruise Line does NOT include port charges and taxes in their published fares. If you look at their website and in their brochures, they list the fares and at the very bottom of the page, in very small print, it says something to the effect "Prices do not include port charges and taxes of $480". I looked at one of their cruises in September in the Med, and their listed fares most certainly do not include what they specifically call port charges---again, you have to read the small print at the bottom of the page to see that they don't add the port charges and taxes to the fares you look at online. So, I guess the Attorney General of Florida doesn't reach across every cruise line with this law.

Here's the small print line directly from Crystal's website : New Fall Fares apply to new bookings only as of 01/20/2011. Fares are per person in U.S. dollars, double occupancy and do not include port, security and handling charges of $480.

I've been on more than 30 solo cruises, and even on Carnival, I've not paid two port charges.

OP, Crystal has the lowest single supplement in the industry of 125%.

Im sorry to clue you in, but FL AG in the mid 1990s forced all major cruise lines to include port charges in the fare. The add on taxes and fees are NOT port charges.

The part of the fare that is port charges is called noncommionable fare or NCF. Its been like this as I said since FL AG did the class action suit. Believe me Princess was not excluded. In the old days you would see a cruise advertised for $300 and then then would add $300 in fees and port charges, and FL AG said deceptive advertising, so now all the major cruiseline have to include port charges in the cruisefare.

Before you correct someone ... you should find out your facts. Princess was not excluded. sorry.

Perhaps you would like to consider listening to your own advice. To make sure I was correct I phoned Princess and indeed the port fees are not part of the listed fare. They are entitled government fees and show separately under government fees and taxes. The fare is just that....the fare.

7 days Western Caribbean Roundtrip From Ft. Lauderdaledate_7.gifShip: Crown Princess

Embarkation Port: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Number of Days: 7 icon_itinerary.gifView Itinerary

Embarkation Date(s):

2012 - Mar 03, Mar 24 Select an Embarkation Date Mar 03, 2012 Mar 24, 2012 InteriorOceanview ObstructedOceanviewBalconyMini-Suite/Suite$749.00 $849.00 $949.00 $1,199.00 $1,399.00 Government Fees and Taxes: $79.15 Currency: USDYou may qualify for lower fares! Sign in or Register >>

Archived