Falmouth..Are people missing the ship?

Not the week we were there! We were on peat taylors tour doing river tubing. No probes with times although it's about an hour to ochos rios from Falmouth. That's an hour of Jamaican driving !!

Someone on our ship said in a review that we were late in leaving from Jamaica but none of the 6 in our party noticed this! We were late in leaving st Maarten and various calls for passengers were heard!

Enjoy!

From everythiing I'm reading on here, it's scary enough just being in Falmouth in the first place. I can't even imagine being there and watching your ship sail off and then being stuck there overnight! :eek:

Then again, I think anyone dumb enough to sign up for a private non-ship tour probably deserves whatever they get. There are enough warnings on CC about that place.

From everythiing I'm reading on here, it's scary enough just being in Falmouth in the first place. I can't even imagine being there and watching your ship sail off and then being stuck there overnight! :eek:

Then again, I think anyone dumb enough to sign up for a private non-ship tour probably deserves whatever they get. There are enough warnings on CC about that place.

Hmm that's unfair, the actual port and surrounding area look really nice and we felt never felt unsafe - we have been in Belize where some of our party just went back to ship! The security folk are everywhere! Don't write it off!

I know that people always miss the ship but I heard a rumor that private (non-ship) tours are coming back late into falmouth. Is this true?
I think the number of people left behind isn't nearly what people imagine it to be --how many people on this board actually discuss being left or actually seeing someone being left? The posts are all about the FEAR of being left.

Now, missing the initial embarkation is a real concern. People do post about that really happening.

Whereas, if I were forced to take ship excursions, I would choose another type of vacation. I will never take a ship excursion.

Whereas, if I were forced to take ship excursions, I would choose another type of vacation. I will never take a ship excursion.

Why won't you? Just curious because we've done both and have had no major issues with either method, and the ship excursions in Alaska were some of the very best.

Apologies to those who have already read this response on another Falmouth thread, but I'll say it again...

My entire family refuses to debark in Jamaica, period.

I learned my lesson at 19 after two back-to-back incidents:

1) Whilst taking photographs of the falls, a local woman intentionally waked in front of my camera then DEMANDED $20 for "taking" her photo. She actually got in my face until I started screaming for someone to help me, and...

2) After taking a quick taxi ride from the shops that we stupidly went back to for souvenirs, the taxi driver snatched all of the money left in my hand (around $80) when I pulled it out to pay him (a $5 taxi ride) and told me to get out of his taxi or he'd call the police and we'd be stranded in a Jamaican jail. We were so shocked and terrified we got out and ran to the ship. By the time we got to the gangway, he was long gone.

We will never step foot in Jamaica again, as long as we live.

Let's be honest there are folks that are not pleased that RCI has created a port out of Falmouth. Recognizing that a very small number of folks have been there....probably 90% of the commentary regarding Falmouth is based on personal prejudice....eithr against RCI or the Island.

We enjoyed our day in Falmouth.... never left the port area....Drank Red Stripe, walked the vendors, then sat and listened the Reggie for a long time....a truly enjoyable day.

We are NOT fans of Jamaica..previous trips.....stayed onboard. The negative comments...check to make sure those folks have been there. Do not be swayed by those that love to bash and trash.

If you are looking for a tour...the cost is higher, but it is like buying insurance...book and RCI tour....

My family and I enjoyed the heck out of the Zipline/River Tube Combo at the Georgetown Estate while in Falmouth and were VERY glad we booked with RCI as the tour ran way over and we got back 5 minutes after we needed to be on the ship after an INSANE ride back. I shared some more details here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1404533

Consider yourself fortunate to have choices. Although I do not know why you would never under any circumstance take a ship excursion. Some of them are actually pretty good, have taken a few myself.

The negative comments...check to make sure those folks have been there. Do not be swayed by those that love to bash and trash.

Hoping you're not referring to my comment, as I'm always referred to as the eternal optimist. But in the case of Jamaica....it's a hole.

As far as "checking to make sure those folks have been there", well...one can't exactly ask for a passport scan, can one? So what sort of documentation shall we require? :rolleyes:

Hoping you're not referring to my comment, as I'm always referred to as the eternal optimist. But in the case of Jamaica....it's a hole.

As far as "checking to make sure those folks have been there", well...one can't exactly ask for a passport scan, can one? So what sort of documentation shall we require? :rolleyes:

Actually I figured TexasMunk was probably referring to my earlier post. And like you, I have been to Jamaica. Twice to Ocho Rios (where we were shocked at the seedy natives there trying to -in a very pushy and intimidating way- sell their ganja and crap to the visitors while at Dunn's River Falls) .. and another time to Montego Bay - which did not impress me in a good way at all. It was just a dirty sleazy place overall.

I know there are plenty of good Jamaican people, but unfortunately the bad ones (the hookers, drug dealers, creeps demanding money, etc. ) are the ones that seem to descend and prey on the tourists and are the ones most of us encounter there. Too bad because otherwise it's a beautiful island, but like you, I have written Jamaica off as well.

-Tony

Let's be honest there are folks that are not pleased that RCI has created a port out of Falmouth. Recognizing that a very small number of folks have been there....probably 90% of the commentary regarding Falmouth is based on personal prejudice....eithr against RCI or the Island.

We enjoyed our day in Falmouth.... never left the port area....Drank Red Stripe, walked the vendors, then sat and listened the Reggie for a long time....a truly enjoyable day.

We are NOT fans of Jamaica..previous trips.....stayed onboard. The negative comments...check to make sure those folks have been there. Do not be swayed by those that love to bash and trash.

If you are looking for a tour...the cost is higher, but it is like buying insurance...book and RCI tour....

I have been there and inside the port area is not even remotely finished, yeah you can drink a beer and listen to music...big deal. Outside the port area is a nightmare. What else more does anyone want to know?

Right. And if you feel safe getting into non-ship arranged tour operators vehicles with people who the cruise line doesn't know and being taken off to who knows where, then go for it. I think it's pretty stupid.

Oh ... and the next time you're on one of your privately operated tour excursions, I hope they get you get back to the ship in time. Otherwise, enjoy the swim.

When were you actually in Falmouth? This is a new port that is still under construction but is open.

Some people who have actually been to Falmouth have reported great experiences, others not so much.

When did your bad experience happen to you? 10 years ago? 20?

In 2002 we went to Ocho Rios.

Two people were late, and the ship sailed without them.

We were about 2 or 3 miles out, and the captain said that he left two people on the dock, but they didn't have their passports with them, and going back on his original warning, he decided he couldn't leave two people stranded in Jamaica, so he turned around to get them.

A harbor boat with the two passengers met the ship before it got to the dock, and they transferred to the ship.

So it does - or at least did - happen.

When were you actually in Falmouth? This is a new port that is still under construction but is open.

Some people who have actually been to Falmouth have reported great experiences, others not so much.

When did your bad experience happen to you? 10 years ago? 20?

Since you are calling her out..tell us when you have been there, and then explain to us what your "great" experience was in FALMOUTH. Not a tour to Ochos Rios, or Montego but in the city of Falmouth????

Since you are calling her out..tell us when you have been there, and then explain to us what your "great" experience was in FALMOUTH. Not a tour to Ochos Rios, or Montego but in the city of Falmouth????

Where did I say I had a great experience in Falmouth?

Where did I say I had a great experience in Falmouth?

Thats what I want to know. You want to know when she was there, and since you are questioning her, I want to know when you were there. I was there. Anyone who says they had a great time IN Falmouth is either extremely easy to please or they are full of bull. No in between. The port is not close to being finished. You have about 20 vendors sitting inside the port area which is unfinished buildings ,selling a bunch of nothing and then outside the gate you have prostitutes and beggars in a town filled with nothing to do. The view from the ship overlooks hundreds of shacks stacked on top of each other that these people live in. Yes you can take tour in a hour long bus ride to another port city.....have fun with that. The whole thing is a sham right now. Hey, what do I know... I was there a couple weeks ago and have cruised all over the world... good luck looking for someone with with more exprience and honest reporting.

Apologies to those who have already read this response on another Falmouth thread, but I'll say it again...

My entire family refuses to debark in Jamaica, period.

I learned my lesson at 19 after two back-to-back incidents:

1) Whilst taking photographs of the falls, a local woman intentionally waked in front of my camera then DEMANDED $20 for "taking" her photo. She actually got in my face until I started screaming for someone to help me, and...

2) After taking a quick taxi ride from the shops that we stupidly went back to for souvenirs, the taxi driver snatched all of the money left in my hand (around $80) when I pulled it out to pay him (a $5 taxi ride) and told me to get out of his taxi or he'd call the police and we'd be stranded in a Jamaican jail. We were so shocked and terrified we got out and ran to the ship. By the time we got to the gangway, he was long gone.

We will never step foot in Jamaica again, as long as we live.

My friend's daughter was molested by a character at one of those theme parks and another cousin was shot at a rest stop on I-75. We will never step foot in Florida, as long as we live.

How much difference is there between Falmouth and Belize? Ive been to Belize but will be going to Falmouth soon. Seems like Jamaica gets a lot of bad press on here. Does make you a little concerned.

If you are into Mayan Ruins, Belize is a cool place to go. If you are into ruins of this century/recent history..check out Falmouth.

Archived