cruising from Miami. Want to take gift from England. Is this possible

I hope someone can help me. My husband will be 60 and we have booked a caribbean cruise to celebrate. (We usually go with Princess but this time choosing Celebrity). His birthday will be whilst we are onboard. My question is I am flying in from England and want to bring his birthday present with me, all wrapped up and a secret. It is a very expensive gift and I have saved very hard for 3 years to be able to afford it. I want it to be a big surprise for him (its not very large) and so I do NOT want to have to open it at immigration etc at the airport either leaving England or entering Miami. I will of course have it in my hand luggage. My TA informs me that it will probably be opened in the name of security at the airport and I really dont want the suprise ruined. Does anyone know if this is usual? People must take wrapped gifts to America all the time so I am sure someone will be able to help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

This is a piece of string question.

There is no immigration leaving the UK so that's not a problem but if it's in your hand luggage it will need to be x-rayed at security. Depending on the item it may be fine or they may ask to see your bag.

I work for an airline and we always advise people not to wrap gifts - in case security does need to examine it (if they do they will just rip it open anyway).

Going into the US won't be a problem unless you have a connecting flight in which case the same applies. Immigration won't be interested and at customs you don't need to declare anything that you will be taking with you when you leave the US.

Security requires gifts to not be wrapped because they most likely will be opened. I would suggest giving him his gift while still at home. If you do bring it, you would need to bring your receipt because customs may thing you bought it while traveling and the only way to prove you didn't is to have the receipt.

Immigration does not look at packages. It's security or customs.

No one will look at it when you leave, unless security sees something "interesting" on the scanner when you go through to your departing flight. I highly doubt Customs in Miami would care; they rarely open bags. You just walk through most of the time.

However, agree the safest thing to do would be to give the gift before you leave. If you must take it with you, don't wrap it, and have your husband go through security in a different line, so he doesn't see it if it's removed from your carry-on for inspection.

Leave the gift at home !!!!

Take a photo of the gift... put the photo in a card to give him on his special day with a note that the gift is waiting for him at home

Less stress & hassle all round:D

Lyn

Thank you so much for your help. We are having a birthday meal with the kids just before we leave and so I may give him the gift then but also like the idea of picture in his birthday card. I think I am more excited about giving him the gift than he will be receiving it. Thanks again for suggestions

I take great delight in "disguising" gifts by not wrapping them in gift wrap, or making them obvious. I've placed gifts in an empty bank check box, a round Quaker Oats box, an empty coffee can, an empty perfume box, and placed several gift cards behind the photo in a picture frame. These items were just sort of "there", and no one was the wiser! Imagine being given an oatmeal (porridge) box on Christmas morning containing plane tickets! I've also wrapped empty (giftless) boxes with a TO tag, but no FROM. I'm pretty sneaky when it comes to surprise gifts! Good luck to you!

Don't take a chance of some mishap with your extra special gift for your DH.

If you are having a family dinner, might be a good time to present him with his gift. All the family can enjoy your pleasure at giving it to him and see his happy expression to receive it.

If it is so valuable it might be something better not brought on the cruise that you have to worry about keeping it secure.

All best wishes to you both.

Hope you have a really wonderful celebration cruise and your DH has a very Happy Birthday.

(pssst,

You KNOW we are all curious what this special gift it. :D )

Thank you so much for your help. We are having a birthday meal with the kids just before we leave and so I may give him the gift then but also like the idea of picture in his birthday card. I think I am more excited about giving him the gift than he will be receiving it. Thanks again for suggestions

Give it to him at the dinner. There is nothing worse than knowing you have a gift and can't see it or use it. What the heck is it already?? :confused:

Just a bit of unsolicited advice, if I may. Whether you decide to give your husband his gift prior to leaving home and he decides to bring it with him on your cruise, or you decide to give it to him while you are on your cruise, you would be wise to bring your sales receipt with you as proof to customs upon your return home that no duty is due because while the item is obviously new, you did not purchase it while outside the UK. This is especially advised if your generous expensive gift is jewelry, a watch, a camera or other small electronic device - all of which are often purchased "duty-free in the islands" and might therefore be subject to import duty when re-entering the UK . It's far better to be pro-active with receipt in hand than re-active as you try to convince a customs officer the item was in fact purchased at home.

I cannot speak for customs as I do not work for them. I do, however, work for the TSA and have for 6 years. I KNOW that you can ask for anything in your possession to be screened in private. Everything must be x-rayed, but, if additional screening is required, you can request a private screening. I have honored this request many times, including because of secret gifts. Simply discretely ask a supervisor.

Just a bit of unsolicited advice, if I may. Whether you decide to give your husband his gift prior to leaving home and he decides to bring it with him on your cruise, or you decide to give it to him while you are on your cruise, you would be wise to bring your sales receipt with you as proof to customs upon your return home that no duty is due because while the item is obviously new, you did not purchase it while outside the UK. This is especially advised if your generous expensive gift is jewelry, a watch, a camera or other small electronic device - all of which are often purchased "duty-free in the islands" and might therefore be subject to import duty when re-entering the UK . It's far better to be pro-active with receipt in hand than re-active as you try to convince a customs officer the item was in fact purchased at home.

Great advice!! This applies to US cruisers/travelers as well.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. For those who asked I have to tell you that my DH loves watches, and has a few nice ones , none very expensive but all good watches, but has always wanted a Rolex. He has always promised himself that "one day" he would treat himself to one and every time we go near a dealer we spend time looking at them but always walk away because there is always something more important or more urgent to spend the money on. DH works so hard and is a wonderful husband and father and deserves something to mark that fact and thank him for all he has done for his family over the years. I have been putting away little amounts of money each week for the last three years and with a final push this year I am at last on target and able to buy the watch he so covets for him. I am so excited and cannot wait to see his face because he fully deserves this present and much much more. I have a while to go before his birthday and the cruise (Its not till Feb ) but asked question early because we have just booked the cruise. I hope he likes it as much as I think he will!

Great advice!! This applies to US cruisers/travelers as well.

Yes, here in the US as well; I only mentioned the UK because of the OP. Not only do we carry a receipt if we are traveling out of the country with something new and expensive but we also always carry a copy of the pages itemizing jewelry/watches covered by our personal articles insurance. Started doing this years ago after a friend who was wearing an expensive watch he had owned for years was hassled about the watch after showing a truthful $0 in purhases on his customs form when returning to Miami after a cruise.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. For those who asked I have to tell you that my DH loves watches, and has a few nice ones , none very expensive but all good watches, but has always wanted a Rolex. He has always promised himself that "one day" he would treat himself to one and every time we go near a dealer we spend time looking at them but always walk away because there is always something more important or more urgent to spend the money on. DH works so hard and is a wonderful husband and father and deserves something to mark that fact and thank him for all he has done for his family over the years. I have been putting away little amounts of money each week for the last three years and with a final push this year I am at last on target and able to buy the watch he so covets for him. I am so excited and cannot wait to see his face because he fully deserves this present and much much more. I have a while to go before his birthday and the cruise (Its not till Feb ) but asked question early because we have just booked the cruise. I hope he likes it as much as I think he will!

THAT IS SO SWEET... brought a tear to my eye....

I like the idea of giving it to him before, with the kids present...would be a special moment. And he would get to wear it on the trip!

But, I also like the idea of giving it to him on the ship...

and I also like the idea of taking a picture of it, and giving that to him on the ship...

OH BOY... I'M A LOT OF HELP :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You might try this to avoid having your wrapping job damaged; wrap the bottom and the top of the gift box separately. This way the package can be opened for inspection without having your wrapping job damaged. Alternately, you could wrap your gift in your cabin before presenting it. Just a thought...

That is a beautiful and thoughtful gift! I cannot emphasize too much to have the receipt. There are many knockoff Rolexes around- I had a nice on I paid $50 for (lol). In some cases the knockoffs may be confiscated by customs, so it is better to be safe than sorry and have the receipt from the store you bought it.

Security in the UK, as in the US, will allow you to have your hand luggage checked in private. Frankly, I would be suprised if they identified your gift as anything suspicious and warranting closer examination but, nonetheless, better not to gift wrap it until you get to your destination. Have a wonderful time!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. What a lovely post to read.

Sounds like you have a wonderful DH,,,,,,, and he has a wonderful DW. :)

Hope he loves his watch and you have a great birthday celebration cruise.

What a lovely idea!!! if i can offer a suggestion (or two), my husband also coveted a Rolex for many years and I decided to buy the submariner for his 50th birthday. I was going to buy it in St. Thomas thinking that I would get a better price than here at home (New Jersey). However, in shopping a local and well reputed jeweler here, I asked him if there was any serious benefit to purchasing it in the islands (i.e. saving money), he said that he would prefer to make the sale (LOL) and then offered me a nice discount to purchase it from him!!! so I did..........additionally, since you are cruising with the new watch, you may want to consider carrying the purchase details/receipt with you - sometimes customs may not believe that you purchased it at home, and may try to charge you some duty on it.

Have a lovely trip, and I smile for you, cos I know how much your husband is going to treasure his gift!!

Archived