Expired Passport and Driver's License?

SNJCruisers

My Girlfriends 18 yo daughter will be going on a closed loop cruise and her passport expired back in 2009. Will she be able to use it, along with her current driver's license to get on the ship? Or will she need her original raised seal birth certificate? Thanks.

She needs to get on it. It can take weeks to get a new one. Or she can spend a lot of money to have one expedited. Either way, if the cruise requires a passport, they will not yield on this point and they will bar her from boarding. Just the way the world is since 9/11.

Expired passports are worthless unless she uses it to renew her passport.

There is a web site called Vital Chek (just Google it) where you can order a BC. I've used it in the past, and they are reliable and fast.

Good luck & have a great cruise.

FYI, keeping a passport "Current" actually means getting it renewed with 6 months remaining. Some ports and countries require 6 months remaining from entry date, in order to enter as a visitor.

Obviously hers is already expired and I'd recommend getting it renewed since they are good for 10 years. But if there is no time, the raised seal birth certificate should suffice for this coming cruise.

Get the passport renewed! I just got mine renewed - I think it took 3 weeks or so (although on the form it says to allow 4-6 weeks). If your cruise is coming up, you can expedite it for something like $60 more I think and have it a lot sooner.

I'd get the birth cert and not mess with the birth certificate (depending on where you are going, you may need the passport anyway and a BC won't do).

Get the passport renewed! I just got mine renewed - I think it took 3 weeks or so (although on the form it says to allow 4-6 weeks). If your cruise is coming up' date=' you can expedite it for something like $60 more I think and have it a lot sooner.

I'd get the birth cert and not mess with the birth certificate (depending on where you are going, you may need the passport anyway and a BC won't do).[/quote']

Agreed, get a new passport, the DW just did it last month and it took only 3 weeks.

I mentioned to her that the expired passport was only good to eliminate paperwork whenever she decides to get a new one. She's going to take her raised seal BC and her current driver's license, afterall, she's 18...she "knows everything".

I had thought that the government had put regulations in place that everyone had to have either a current passport or a "passport card" to use as official ID when crusing and the old raised seal BC and current driver's license would not longer be acceptable.

It doesn't matter to me, I have a current passport that expires next year, and yes, I know that I need to get a new one within 6 months of it expiring.....but does anyone know if the 10 year starting date is when you purchase it or when the first one expires, otherwise it's not worth 10 years, only 9 1/2 or less.

... but does anyone know if the 10 year starting date is when you purchase it or when the first one expires, otherwise it's not worth 10 years, only 9 1/2 or less.

The 10 years will be from the date of renewal, not from the expiration date of the previous passport.

The 10 years will be from the date of renewal, not from the expiration date of the previous passport.

Par for the course.....pay for something that is suppossed to be for 10 years and you only get 9 1/2 years out of it

I mentioned to her that the expired passport was only good to eliminate paperwork whenever she decides to get a new one. She's going to take her raised seal BC and her current driver's license, afterall, she's 18...she "knows everything".

I had thought that the government had put regulations in place that everyone had to have either a current passport or a "passport card" to use as official ID when crusing and the old raised seal BC and current driver's license would not longer be acceptable.

It doesn't matter to me, I have a current passport that expires next year, and yes, I know that I need to get a new one within 6 months of it expiring.....but does anyone know if the 10 year starting date is when you purchase it or when the first one expires, otherwise it's not worth 10 years, only 9 1/2 or less.

The regulation effective June 1, 2009 still allows the use a birth certificate for closed loop cruises:

The US regulation is 22 CFR § 53.2 (b)(2) which reads as follows:

Quote:

Exceptions.

(b) A U.S. citizen is not required to bear a valid U.S. passport to enter or depart the United States:

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

Archived