New Celebrity Ships- Some info.

rjg41

I have been on 3 grand class Princess ships so I know what you mean. When the grand size X ships come out I know all of you will hate them like the HAL cruisers all hated the Vista size ships when they came out. But the bean counters and not you are making the decisions and bigger ships means bigger profits. Princess's grand size ships do seem smaller because the have four or more small dining rooms and not one big one.

My wife and I have cruised Celebrity 7 times, with number eight coming up this weekend. We say, "bring it on--bigger the better." We prefer the Millennium class ships to all others in the fleet. As long as the quality and service are there, why not have more options, more spaces and more things to do!! The space ratio is everything, and we have never felt "crowded" on any of the ships we have sailed.
The "good old" days of cruising were not that great! Small ships, cheesy entertainment, so so food, smoking everywhere, 100 sq foot cabins, poor acoustics, and all this for $100 a day per person.
Wake up; these are the best days of cruising!:D --so far.

Enjoy!
Kel

My wife and I have a definite preference for the M-class ships, too. Our trips have ranged from SeaDreamI ( the former Seabourn Sea Goddess I)which only had 52 passengers on it (although it normally holds 104), through the Summit and Constellation. The M-class ships actually seem less crowded, they sail much more smoothly, and there are so many more options available. We're trying RCCL's Brilliance in the med this summer, but can't wait to get back on an M-class ship. The Martini Bar has no equal and the Thalassotherapy Pool, and Aqua Spa cafe, and specialty restaurants. They're all excellent. I guess a lot of it depends upon how active you like to be, and how much (or how little) you want to "interact" with the other passengers.

Allen

Some of the ships of Celebrity and also RCCL have tried different dining times...ala open seating (on one or two of the European cruises and some of the alternative cruises) First floor 6:30 second floor 7:30......First floor 8:30 second floor etc. From some of the cruises that have been on these cruises the reveiws were very favorable...........
Also, as we were told last summer not only is Celebrity going to built (at least two of the large size ships.110-120 tons) She is also going to built 2-3 of the smaller size ship 60-70 ton to replace Horizon and Zenith and for some of the exotic locations

[quote name='MACOP']as My DH & I had 2 Captains on 2 different ships in 2 different months state the exact ship do out in 2006. Challenger class, after the great ship of the past, that will be exactly as wide as M Class but longer & weight 138K GT.[/QUOTE]

Whatever they told you Brenda, or you think they told you, there is not going to be any new Celebrity ship out in 2006. Not possible. from the discussion I think it is probable something will be announced soon, but it will not be completed in 2006.

When we were on the Millie last summer we were told by a person in a high postion about the new builds and where told me would see the first of the ships in 2007 and one or two a year for 2-3years
Also he told us Fincantieri, might be considered for the smaller ships, but could not handle the build for the larger ships as they are not big enough for the ship they are thinking of.......he thought they would proably do back to the same yard that built the Millennium class and kiss and make up

[quote name='jezzdogg']
Also he told us Fincantieri, might be considered for the smaller ships, but could not handle the build for the larger ships as they are not big enough for the ship they are thinking of.......he thought they would proably do back to the same yard that built the Millennium class and kiss and make up[/QUOTE]

Fincantieri in Italy can handle just about any size newbuild the cruise lines can come up with. They built the CARNIVAL DESTINY, which was the first cruise ship to ever exceed 100,000 gt. They also built GRAND PRINCESS which took over the largest title from DESTINY. It's very likely that Fincantieri will build the projected 180,000 gt Pinnacle Project for Carnival Cruise Lines which will be the largest cruise ship ever built (until Royal Caribbean tops it).

There is some other reason why Royal Caribbean won't use Fincantieri, and none of us really know what it is. It might have something to do with egos as I just can't think of any other reason.

Ernie

Wanted to book another Summit for late this year or early 2006, but the 10-11 day cruises I don't think are there anymore. I think the Century is doing that itinerary.

We like the "M" class ships. Rather than building bigger ships for Celebrity, ( let parent company RCCL do that) they need to work on different places to go in the Caribbean. I realize there are only so many ports and times to do that in, but they really need to address this issue. It will only get worse with more ships trying for the same ports.

Just finished a 12 day Oceania Regatta cruise, and have the Sea Princess for March 2006 booked. Both were booked for the port of calls. (Oceania for a small ship too)

They are NOT the Summit, but have enough of a port change to fit the bill.......

Hope Celebrity get the message somehow. We really like their cruise ships.

Summit 2 times, and the Mercury 2 times.................
Eight cruises since 99, and counting........

[quote name='eroller']The French newspaper "Ouest France" mentioned last week that shipyard Chantiers de l'Atlantique had hopes for a new 1600 cabin cruise ship to be ordered in May. This could very well be the Celebrity "Challenger" newbuild.
At 120,000 gt and 3200 passengers, that would put the space ratio at 37.5, somewhat lower than the GALAXY and M-Class ships.

GALAXY = 44.12
M-Class = 44.78

In contrast the new FREEDOM OF THE SEAS has projected dimensions of 158,000 gt with 3600 passengers giving her a very respectable space ratio of 43.9

It would be hard to believe that Celebrity would have a lower space ratio than Royal Caribbean, but anything is possible.

Ernie[/QUOTE]

A bit of good news. This mystery ship that the French newspaper spoke of is not for Celebrity, but another possible ship for MSC Cruises. I still think Celebrity will order a ship around 120,000 gt, but hopefully the passenger capacity will be far less than 3200 offering a superior space ratio.

Ernie

[quote name='baffles']Wanted to book another Summit for late this year or early 2006, but the 10-11 day cruises I don't think are there anymore. I think the Century is doing that itinerary.

We like the "M" class ships. Rather than building bigger ships for Celebrity, ( let parent company RCCL do that) they need to work on different places to go in the Caribbean. I realize there are only so many ports and times to do that in, but they really need to address this issue. It will only get worse with more ships trying for the same ports.

Just finished a 12 day Oceania Regatta cruise, and have the Sea Princess for March 2006 booked. Both were booked for the port of calls. (Oceania for a small ship too)

They are NOT the Summit, but have enough of a port change to fit the bill.......

Hope Celebrity get the message somehow. We really like their cruise ships.

Summit 2 times, and the Mercury 2 times.................
Eight cruises since 99, and counting........[/QUOTE]

Hi Baffles !

Yes, you are pretty much right. Summit will not be doing the Caribbean itinerary next season. It is a huge disappointment for us, as we love Summit, and her Caribbean itineraries. She is being moved to the West Coast.

Century will be doing some Caribbean itineraries, that resemble what Summit did, but they are not nearly as good as Summit's itineraries, and many of the 9/10 night sailings leave Mid-Week, which means you would have to take many work days off to take these sailings. IMHO, they did a terrible job with Century's new itineraries, and I feel that they wont sell very well.

I also agree, that some new Caribbean ports would be a great idea. Let's hope they are listening. The new schedules should be out soon, and I am hoping big time, that the new schedules will have some thing that will please as many of us, as possible.

We are from UK and totally agree re the 10/11 night cruises on M ships in caribbean - why have they stopped them?

We eventually booked on Galaxy for Panama Cruise next Feb for 11 nights because we could not go to caribbean and neither could our friends who have also booked for Galaxy - maybe it is a way of getting the older smaller ships full up.

We loved Summit it was our fourth cruise round the Caribbean we didnt really mind about the itineraries as we loved her so much. We tried to book for Hawaii in january and it was full - the 14 night Panam was too expensive with the flight - almost $10000 for CC class for 2.

We are waiting to see if Celebrity go ahead with the plan to send M clas to SE Asia - with the scare about bird flu they may be reconsidering.

I hope we enjoy Galaxy as much - after Summit it is difficult. We could not truly crtiscise anything - she is getting old but arnt we all - the menus could be 'enlivened' but the food was good - except the chocolate meringues but thats another story...................

Prewelli

[quote name='Prewelli']
We are waiting to see if Celebrity go ahead with the plan to send M clas to SE Asia - with the scare about bird flu they may be reconsidering.

Prewelli[/QUOTE]

While details were not available, it was announced by the furture cruise person on our Infinity cruise, that returned last Sunday, that Celebrity will be going to the South Pacific, including Australia. She used a professionally prepared advertising graphic in making the announcement. It was greeted with a large round of applause by the group in attendance at the presentation. She expects itineraries to be out late this month or next.

[quote name='Prewelli']We are from UK and totally agree re the 10/11 night cruises on M ships in caribbean - why have they stopped them?

We eventually booked on Galaxy for Panama Cruise next Feb for 11 nights because we could not go to caribbean and neither could our friends who have also booked for Galaxy - maybe it is a way of getting the older smaller ships full up.

I hope we enjoy Galaxy as much - after Summit it is difficult. We could not truly crtiscise anything - she is getting old but arnt we all - the menus could be 'enlivened' but the food was good - except the chocolate meringues but thats another story...................

Prewelli[/QUOTE]

The Summit is getting old?

As for smaller and older, yes Galaxy is 13,000 tons smaller. That's all. And she has more public areas in her than Summit. But it is hard to say if you'd like her because we all like different things on ships. I love Galaxy's Aqua Spa, private with strong jets; I like the Galaxy's deck space; the overall size; the aft located pool area; the aft foyer mingling area; the Savoy Club I think is one of the most stylish period lounges of any ship on the seas and well laid out; the Stratosphere has 2 levels, high ceilings, huge windows, and I find it more stylish than the Observation lounges on Millennium ships; I like that Galaxy's Cova cafe is in between her shops, a good place to stop for coffee and chocolates in between shopping and not foyer located like most of the other ships; I love her light and cheerful color schemes--overall I found her to be a sophisticated, chic, large ship with both grand areas and cozy areas. Her foyer has excellent navigation with a center spiral staircase. Her Michael's club is also cozy with a nice nook. She takes rough seas well but has a strong vibration at her stern that you sometimes feel.

Overall, I find Galaxy a much more distinguished ship than the Summit which I find way too similar to her sisters, and a much more desirable ship to sail.

YMMV. Hope you like Galaxy.

[quote name='eroller']This mystery ship that the French newspaper spoke of is not for Celebrity, but another possible ship for MSC Cruises.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. If MSC go ahead with a (presumably) post-Panamax ship from Alstom, I have to wonder if this would kill the project for post-Panamax ships for MSC from Fincantieri?

The relationships between cruise lines and shipyards are becoming very interesting. Seems to me that if things keep going as they have been for the past few years, Aker Finnyards will basically be house yard to RCI, Meyer Werft to NCL/Star Cruises, Alstom to MSC and Fincantieri to Carnival!

Only the new orders for NCL from Aker Finnyards and for Carnival (AIDA) from Meyer seem to be disrupting the pattern at the moment.

We can only hope that around the first week of May that the new Celebrity president Dan Hanrahan announces some new ships for Celebrity. My wish is something around 90,000 tons with 700 balconies similar to the Island Princess and able to go through the canal. We can only hope.

Thank you for the really interesting and reassuring comment re Galaxy. It has helped me to look forward to next February and know that we are going on a nice ship. The comment re Summit getting old was because we cruised when she was absolutely brand new and inevitably you start to make comparisons when you see furniture wearing etc - just as you would at home - I am constantly wanting a new sofa or carpet. She was still good - amazing service and lovely people. Beacuse we even have had the same cabin for 4 years we notice the little chips and knocks not touched up - our cabin still had the same damaged loo seat from thebprevious year! But these things dont matter as long as the ambiance is right - which it was - see the picture gallery Summit 2.18.05.

Once again thank you - I also agree about the 90,000 ton all balcony ship!

[quote name='rjg41']The current "concept" is that the ships will be about 120,000 tons and they will be 100% "open seating" dining. The dining "concept" is 5 restaurants, each of a different cuisine; French, Greek, Italian, etc. (sounds like NCL) There will be four dining times; 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30. Just as the current system each table gets used twice an evening. You will be able to choose any restaurant any night as you wish. I did not probe into the details of how the seating system would work nor how that would work with the show times. This is what they are considering because, "This is what the people want."[/QUOTE]

I just cannot see Celebrity going to open seating. This may shock some of you but it has not been all that successful on NCL.

More times then they want to admit the dining room was 100% full and others had to wait up to 2-hours on one ship. They only took reservation on parties of eight or more.

Let us all hope and pray that Celebrity does not go for open seating.

I would HATE open seating - this is what has put us off travelling with Princess or NCL - we like our set table with people we know and we like getting to know our waiter - on our cruise in February on Summit it was our assistant waiters birthday - we bought party poppers hats etc and the ship gave hime a cake -everyone joined in and it was lovely - he was a super chap called Gabriel and it was his 40th birthday - if it had been open searting we would never have known this.

If Celebrity go to open seating we will not cruise.:eek:

On the Zenith last week we were told that the Summit was being moved to Asia.

About the Galaxy:
It has the ugliest art of any ship anywhere... slight exageration for emphasis, a library that feels claustrophobic, and windows in the forward lounge that are obscured by condensation... other than that we enjoyed it greatly

and have posted here about it since Sept 2004. Since the Captain stated it to a large grouping of cruisers in the showroom, the word is out! Then again on Infinity last Dec. Same way discussed with a question & answer session.

So bring it up on your next cruise & post the response.........

[quote name='Charles4515']Whatever they told you Brenda, or you think they told you, there is not going to be any new Celebrity ship out in 2006. Not possible. from the discussion I think it is probable something will be announced soon, but it will not be completed in 2006.[/QUOTE]

Celebrity is my favorite cruise line. I have been on over 50 cruises and have been on many different lines. On Celebrity I have been on the Meridien, Horizon, Zenith, Century, and Constellation. The Horizon, Century and Constellation all have different things to offer. As long as the ship is not in dis-repair, I don't care which ship I am on. I book cruises for the itinarary and I love balconies. I know Horizon and Century don't have them, but they have/had a certain ambience. Now that the Horizon is gone, I wonder what will happen to the Century. I am concerned that when these ships should go to drydock, that Celebrity keeps them sailing so they can get the revenue. That seems to me to be a poor business practice in the overall scheme of things. The reviews on CC sometimes reflect how the ships need to go into drydock. I would like to see dinners be at times other than 6 or 630 and 830. One of our other cruiselines has been HAL where they had 4 dinner seatings, 5:45, 6:15, 8:00 ( I think) and 8:30. To have more than 2 would be great. We have been on the Constellation 2 times and we are going again in November, so they have to be doing something right as far as we are concerned.

Katie

We have been sailing since the 80's and can remember lines like Home and Royal and other lines that no longer exist. Celebrity is one of our favorites. We have elite status with them and Princess. We only do traditional on Princess. I agree with you about the staggered eating time on HAL, we were on the Zuiderdam last year and it worked fine (No cold meals). We to are on the Constellation for the 11/10 relocation cruise in a CC cabin. If you are on board, we look forward to meeting you. Dick and Mary.

[quote name='MACOP']and have posted here about it since Sept 2004. Since the Captain stated it to a large grouping of cruisers in the showroom, the word is out! Then again on Infinity last Dec. Same way discussed with a question & answer session.

So bring it up on your next cruise & post the response.........[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what the Captain or anyone states on a cruise. What matters are the facts. The fact is Celebrity has no ships under construction or on order. When they do order a new ship or ships it will take time to build them. If they ordered a new ship this coming Monday it isn't going to be finished in 2006.

[quote name='katiel53']I love balconies. I know Horizon and Century don't have them[/QUOTE]
It is ZENITH which, along with HORIZON, does not have balconies.

CENTURY does in fact have them, though only in suites.

[quote name='katiel53']I am concerned that when these ships should go to drydock, that Celebrity keeps them sailing so they can get the revenue.[/QUOTE]
I've seen this rumored many times on these boards, but the fact is that it is simiply not possible. The classification societies which certify the ships' seawortiness require that they be drydocked at certain intervals for mandatory inspections. This is usually roughly every two years. If the ships are not drydocked in order for the classification society to do their surveys, then the ship's class will be revoked... And the ship will be unable to sail.

Now, I have no idea about whether Celebrity have been deferring any voluntary maintenance or not, but it is rare that ships are drydocked much more often than the two years required by the classification societies... And since that is compulsory, Celebrity really does not have the option of keeping ships in service rather than drydocking them.

[quote name='Ericknow32']It takes three years to build a new ship. One year to design and two years to construct.[/QUOTE]
Designing a new ship takes a [i]lot[/i] longer than one year. That is, if it is a new design of course. But for something like VOYAGER OF THE SEAS that was done from scratch, the design took years.

On the other hand, if you're just buying another of something that's already been built a few times, there is virtually no design work at all... It's pretty much down to choosing fabric swatches ;) .

Archived