Forbidden Items on NCL?

How strange that NCL does not allow irons for fire & safety reasons, but lit cigaretts ARE allowed in cabins. An ash can flick off the cigarette and ignite bedding in a flash.

Not really so strange.

Without getting into an entire lesson on electrical engineering here, I'll try to repeat what I posted earlier: household appliances are not grounded properly for shipboard use. High draw items such as irons pose an extreme fire hazard on a ship, so you're not getting one over on the man by smuggling an iron onboard.

Interesting - I use a steamer at home, so may try bringing a steamer on our cruise. I'm assuming that a pill cutter will make it though...? I know there's a list of allowable items, but it does seem to be a little quirky. :confused:

Thanks!

I moved my steamer from my packed bag to my carryon the night before we boarded just in case. They come in very handy as you can steam your clothes right on the hanger.

• 6 years later...
bump - are battery powered or plug in xmas lights allowed? or all xmas lights banned?

I don't see it banned on this list

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

Bumping a 6 year old thread is just bad form because a lot of items discussed aren't allowed anymore - like soda or water or smoking in cabins and it adds to the confusion of new people. If you couldn't find a newer thread it is acceptable to start a new one.

Battery powered shouldn't be a problem. Plug in might be an issue.

Bumping a 6 year old thread is just bad form because a lot of items discussed aren't allowed anymore - like soda or water or smoking in cabins and it adds to the confusion of new people. If you couldn't find a newer thread it is acceptable to start a new one.

why does a bump annoy you so much? I asked about christmas lights are allowed or not, which is really pertinent to this thread.

SIX YEAR OLD THREAD - WARNING

Yes, an old thread can cause confusion as stuff changes. Nor is adding the word bump even needed. The fact that a posting is made "bumps" a thread already. As to those lights... if somebody thinks it is a fire hazard, you will be over ruled. Fire is the #1 safety issue at sea.

why does a bump annoy you so much? I asked about christmas lights are allowed or not, which is really pertinent to this thread.

Umm, I didn't say annoys me and I explained exactly the issue with bumping an old thread. As GaryCarla also explained, it confuses people who are new who might read it and think they were allowed certain items which may have been allowed then but are not now.

Umm, I didn't say annoys me and I explained exactly the issue with bumping an old thread. As GaryCarla also explained, it confuses people who are new who might read it and think they were allowed certain items which may have been allowed then but are not now.

Exactly, someone who isn't familiar with the current rules will be misinformed, because policies change in 6 years.

Then they should lock threads after 1 year then. I even posted the official website link so that they can reference things.

Perfect - that is what someone who does their own research and reads terms and conditions will review but there are those out there who will read the posts and take what someone posted in 2011 as what the current rules are.

Wine is permitted, but there is a corkage fee (I think $15). I think that if you pack them in your checked suitcase, you will probably end up in the naughty room. Probably the best thing to do is just have them with you when you go through security so that you can take care of the corkage fee then and there. No hard liquor though.

Irons are not permitted, but friends of ours got one through in their checked suitcase. I brought a hand-held steamer which worked out great.

Large scissors are also questionable. One of the other wives with us had a pair in her overnight bag. Security questioned them, but in the end she was allowed to take them on board. And, no, I have no idea why she would need such big scissors.

Have a great time on your cruise.

I snuck a steamer on last year and it made it to my room. When I used it, the steam set off the smoke alarm and the captain personally called my room very upset and they sent a bunch of officers to inspect my cabin. I will not be bringing it on my next cruise lol.

AS OF JUNE 2017,

I've found this on the "guest conduct" part of NCL.com:

"PROHIBITED ITEMS

ITEMS WITH HEATING ELEMENTS OR OPEN FLAMES

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

DRUGS OR OTHER ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances including but not limited to medical marijuana are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Norwegian Cruise Line vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, during shore excursions or at our private island. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken,which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Norwegian Cruise Line ports of call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

WEAPONS, EXPLOSIVES OR OTHER DANGEROUS ITEMS

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are permitted onboard. They will be taken by ship’s Security and appropriate action taken. Guests are not allowed to bring their own scuba gears onboard such as oxygen tanks, diving knives, spears, etc.

Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices – are prohibited to be brought onboard either as carry-on or checked luggage on both embarkation and port days. The only exception to this policy is purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula."

and I've found this on the F.A.Q. part of NCL.com:

What can't I bring onboard?

Passengers should not bring the following items onboard any Norwegian Cruise Line ship:

• Drones (Game Flying Device)
    Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the welfare of the vessel.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note7
    In light of recent safety issues with the Samsung Galaxy Note7, we are asking our guests who own this model to please avoid traveling with this mobile device. The Federal Aviation Administration has banned the Samsung Galaxy Note7 from all air travel, and until further notice, this device will be restricted from all Norwegian Cruise Line ships. Fire is one of the greatest threats at sea and due to the safety concerns these devices present, if one is found in a guest’s possession or unattended in a stateroom onboard, our policy instructs the crew to confiscate the device for safekeeping. The device will remain in our possession, in a safe, monitored location, for the duration of the cruise. Guests can reclaim their device at the conclusion of the cruise from the reception desk.
  • Alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages of any kind including water, soda and juices*
    For more information read our FAQ about "Can I bring water or soda on board?".
  • Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard.
  • Firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature
  • Irons / Ironing Boards and Steamers
    Guests are not permitted to bring and use their own irons or steamers onboard. Norwegian Cruise Line carries a limited number of irons and ironing boards which can be loaned to guests for a few hours at a time. They can be requested through housekeeping or Guest Services Desk.
    Irons and steamers would both be taken from guests at embarkation and returned at the end of the sailing.
  • Animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

No where does it mention surge protectors vs power strips. I think what I have is a surge protector dammit. Is the surge protector rule really true for NCL?

It even confuses people who aren't new! I started reading the thread without looking at the date and wondered why someone was saying a reasonable amount of water and soda could be brought on board. Dredging up a thread this old will confuse, misinform, annoy...

No where does it mention surge protectors vs power strips. I think what I have is a surge protector dammit. Is the surge protector rule really true for NCL?

You don't need to understand if its a rule for NCL or not, you just need to understand the HAZARD which is unique to the electrical systems found on most ships.

http://mrose.org/cc/SurgeProtectiveDevices-2.pdf

Don't bring surge protectors. It's a one in a million shot that something will go wrong, sure, but it's easy to just not use them.

AS OF JUNE 2017,

I've found this on the "guest conduct" part of NCL.com:

"PROHIBITED ITEMS

ITEMS WITH HEATING ELEMENTS OR OPEN FLAMES

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

DRUGS OR OTHER ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances including but not limited to medical marijuana are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Norwegian Cruise Line vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, during shore excursions or at our private island. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken,which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Norwegian Cruise Line ports of call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

WEAPONS, EXPLOSIVES OR OTHER DANGEROUS ITEMS

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are permitted onboard. They will be taken by ship’s Security and appropriate action taken. Guests are not allowed to bring their own scuba gears onboard such as oxygen tanks, diving knives, spears, etc.

Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices – are prohibited to be brought onboard either as carry-on or checked luggage on both embarkation and port days. The only exception to this policy is purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula."

and I've found this on the F.A.Q. part of NCL.com:

What can't I bring onboard?

Passengers should not bring the following items onboard any Norwegian Cruise Line ship:

• Drones (Game Flying Device)
    Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the welfare of the vessel.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note7
    In light of recent safety issues with the Samsung Galaxy Note7, we are asking our guests who own this model to please avoid traveling with this mobile device. The Federal Aviation Administration has banned the Samsung Galaxy Note7 from all air travel, and until further notice, this device will be restricted from all Norwegian Cruise Line ships. Fire is one of the greatest threats at sea and due to the safety concerns these devices present, if one is found in a guest’s possession or unattended in a stateroom onboard, our policy instructs the crew to confiscate the device for safekeeping. The device will remain in our possession, in a safe, monitored location, for the duration of the cruise. Guests can reclaim their device at the conclusion of the cruise from the reception desk.
  • Alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages of any kind including water, soda and juices*
    For more information read our FAQ about "Can I bring water or soda on board?".
  • Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard.
  • Firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature
  • Irons / Ironing Boards and Steamers
    Guests are not permitted to bring and use their own irons or steamers onboard. Norwegian Cruise Line carries a limited number of irons and ironing boards which can be loaned to guests for a few hours at a time. They can be requested through housekeeping or Guest Services Desk.
    Irons and steamers would both be taken from guests at embarkation and returned at the end of the sailing.
  • Animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

I’ve brought a surge protector on every NCL Cruise I’ve been on, including on the Escape last summer, and never had a problem.

EDIT: I just read the linked advisory article and totally understand what it says since I do deal with electrical wiring in my field. It’s very interesting and all comes down to how the ship itself is wired. Normally in a regular US 110 volt socket, you have a neutral wire and a hot wire carrying 110 volts. On some ships they use a different technique where both wires carry 60 volts of voltage in opposite phases. If you overload your power strip, the circuit breaker only interrupts the hot lead which normally is what is carrying the 110 volts. If your cruise ship is wired for the 60/60 configuration, the tripping of the breaker only interrupts one lead carrying 60 volts... the other lead which would normally be neutral, is still carrying 60 volts.. which means your power strip with a tripped breaker, is still supplying power to what’s plugged into it, but now only half as much power, resulting in even more of an overload to the strip which will generate heat and possibly fire. This is crazy dangerous on these types of ships and absolutely insane to use, so I take back what I said before.

What’s important to find out is which way the ship is wired, if it’s 120/0 then power strips are fine. If it’s 60/60, then power strips are a bad bad idea. I might just bring my power strip and multi tester on my next cruise and see which method they use, and post back here my findings.

Edited by Heronymous

I’ve brought a surge protector on every NCL Cruise I’ve been on, including on the Escape last summer, and never had a problem.

EDIT: I just read the linked advisory article and totally understand what it says since I do deal with electrical wiring in my field. It’s very interesting and all comes down to how the ship itself is wired. Normally in a regular US 110 volt socket, you have a neutral wire and a hot wire carrying 110 volts. On some ships they use a different technique where both wires carry 60 volts of voltage in opposite phases. If you overload your power strip, the circuit breaker only interrupts the hot lead which normally is what is carrying the 110 volts. If your cruise ship is wired for the 60/60 configuration, the tripping of the breaker only interrupts one lead carrying 60 volts... the other lead which would normally be neutral, is still carrying 60 volts.. which means your power strip with a tripped breaker, is still supplying power to what’s plugged into it, but now only half as much power, resulting in even more of an overload to the strip which will generate heat and possibly fire. This is crazy dangerous on these types of ships and absolutely insane to use, so I take back what I said before.

What’s important to find out is which way the ship is wired, if it’s 120/0 then power strips are fine. If it’s 60/60, then power strips are a bad bad idea. I might just bring my power strip and multi tester on my next cruise and see which method they use, and post back here my findings.

All ships are wired delta (the 60/60 you mention). The USCG mentions that some vessels are wired wye, but those are almost exclusively tugs and small craft.

While you are correct that commercial power strips only interrupt the one leg, the real problem with surge protectors is that if there is a ground anywhere else on the ship, this can subject the MOV's in the surge protector to reverse voltage, which is not harmful to your electronics, but will cause the MOV's to go into thermal overload and catch fire, even at a current less than the breaker rating.

I’ve brought a surge protector on every NCL Cruise I’ve been on, including on the Escape last summer, and never had a problem. ....

Sorry, that does mean anything.

What it means is you did not have a problem. It does not mean it was okay, or acceptable.

Sorry, that does mean anything.

What it means is you did not have a problem. It does not mean it was okay, or acceptable.

Yes, simply the fact that you have never had a problem with a surge protector only means that there was not a ground on another circuit onboard at the time. The SCR frequency drives used onboard for motor speed control causes some power to ground which, while very low voltage, the cumulative time the MOV's are exposed to this, will eventually break down and fail.

Because it is bad netiquette, it is confusing, and often totally irrelevant.