Mexico Itinerary changes - Sapphire Princess

RickEk

Ensenada, Los Angeles, Catalina, and San Diego, are all close to each other and have the same weather. Winter is cool and rainy. And the water is very cold. Much too cool for the beach, or water sports.

For those who have suggested a Pacific Coastal cruise as an alternative, keep in mind that most of these Mexican Riviera cruises take place in the winter. No one is going to want to cruise to Vancouver in the middle of winter.

I'm another one that would love to do this cruise. I would love to take it just for the Vancouver stop and make it like a weekend away type feeling. I have no interest in the beach or water sports unless I'm in the Caribbean so that wouldn't be a loss to me.

If the ship is overnighting in Cabo, what time is the last tender?

When I took the final Sapphire MR cruise of this season, the ship overnighted in Cabo and the last tender from shore to the ship was 11 pm on the first day in Cabo.

Tom, forgive me for disagreeing with you but I can promise you there are many, many folks [my family and friends included] who would love a cruise from L.A. to Vancouver, some of whom are coming from back east. And, they'd do it during the winter months.

Remember these cruises would originate from a warm climate allowing people to do the "touristy" thing either before or after the cruise. Cruising is not just about the weather and a lot of people have no aversion to the choppy seas or the cooler climates.

Will this appeal to the masses? No way to know unless they try it.

I might enjoy this cruise in the summer but not the winter (in fact I wish there were a summer cruising option on the west coast other than Alaska). As a resident of LA, I do not consider our climate warm in the winter, by vacation standards -- low to mid 60s during the day and high 40s to low 50s at night, with cold wind and frequent rainstorms. I realize this is quite a bit milder than in the east. However, it only gets colder and wetter as you travel up the coast. I'll be interested to see how the season goes this winter and how popular the winter coastal cruises turn out to be.

Just thought I'd share a little info that may help inform some peoples' decisions whether or not to cancel.

I spoke with our Princess "Vacation Planner", whom we have been using for a few years now (very successfully, btw.) Our parents have used him to book their December M.R. cruise, as well.

He reports that the change was made due to passenger safety concerns based on increasing and escalating reports of violent crime in the Mexican states of Sinaloa and Jalisco. When I asked him if there was a possibility that the original itinerary would be restored, he said that Princess' security department constantly monitors these matters and may adjust itineraries if the situation changes sufficiently. He was quick to point out that there was no guarantee of this at all, but compared it with the situation in Egypt earlier this year. Due to the upheaval there, the itineraries that included Egypt were significantly altered. However, when the unrest there settled, the original itineraries were restored.

I spoke with my parents and, for various reasons that may be specific to them, they decided to hold off a little to see if perhaps the original itinerary is restored and make a final decision as the Final Payment date gets closer.

Now, please understand, I am not saying the above is the "gospel"; just reporting what I've been told to the extent that it might be helpful. I'm sure it will have no impact on those who believe this change was financially motivated. So, please take it for whatever it may be worth to you. I hope it's useful to someone else.

I might enjoy this cruise in the summer but not the winter (in fact I wish there were a summer cruising option on the west coast other than Alaska)......

I totally agree with you on this.

When I did the "Swine Flu" cruise in May '09, we went north to Canada (Victoria) and I got to see Seattle and Astoria...(my cruise was the only one that didn't get to go to San Francisco)

That was such a nice diversion from the usual Mexican Riviera cruises, and many people expressed an interest in doing that itinerary during the summer months.

There are a lot of ships in Alaska during the summer. Yes, it would be nice to have a Pacific Northwest R/T LA for the summer months. Look at how well the coastals and repos are selling.

And a round-trip LA/SF/Seattle/Victoria BC/LA CAN be done on a 7-day cruise.

Maybe they could figure a way to alternate itineraries and do a few round trips and then maybe some one-ways to Vancouver, some Alaska cruises, and then one-ways back down, and do some more round trips out of LA.

Just a thought.............

I still have a large contingent who would love to see the L.A. to Vancouver route.

We took a repo from LA to Vancouver before our Alaska cruise.

It was early May, and we were doing some rockin' and rollin', but we loved it. We also loved Vancouver. We definitely would book this itin. if it was RT. (DH won't fly).

Pat

When I took the final Sapphire MR cruise of this season, the ship overnighted in Cabo and the last tender from shore to the ship was 11 pm on the first day in Cabo.

The notice I got for the New Year's Eve cruise says that the ship will depart Cabo at 4:00 pm.

Which reminds me that I need to change to booking to something else. When we discovered that the ship is going into drydock the day we disembark (meaning that they'll likely be working while we're onboard), we decided to fly to Florida instead. The itinerary change just made it a better decision.:(

We heard today from our travel company -- not from Princess -- that due to "security concerns" the cruise we're scheduled to take on the Sapphire December 10, 2011, has been dramatically altered. Now it's scheduled to make one stop in Ensenada, spend two days in Cabo and the rest is sea days. Fortunately, we have until late September to cancel without penalty. And if they don't restore the ports, that's exactly what we'll do. The unfortunate part of this is that we were planning a family vacation for six couples and two babies -- all in adjacent balcony cabins...Anyway, now we're stuck trying to figure out what we could all do together that we can afford.

I hear your plight. That sucks. I know they are doing ti for our safety and concerns ad that makes sense.

If it matters P.V is just ok, and Maz....I can tell you tons about...but it really needs a vehicle as the port is in nowhere land.......and I found may areas sketchy......anyways....

On the positive Cabo is amazing, especially if you rent a jeep ad head down the road about 15-20 mins away to la Paz. That gets u away from the cluttered beaches and party-touristy stuff. That city has ti all: from big box stores, to old town Mexican festivals, clean beaches and resorts upon resorts. My son and I had the very best choclate moouse of our lives at the village store....and that alone was worth getting away from the Cabo-port.

Ensenda, I now zlich about.........keep us posted on what you itend on doing..ok, Best of luck and happiness...

I totally agree with you on this.

When I did the "Swine Flu" cruise in May '09, we went north to Canada (Victoria) and I got to see Seattle and Astoria...(my cruise was the only one that didn't get to go to San Francisco)

That was such a nice diversion from the usual Mexican Riviera cruises, and many people expressed an interest in doing that itinerary during the summer months.

There are a lot of ships in Alaska during the summer. Yes, it would be nice to have a Pacific Northwest R/T LA for the summer months. Look at how well the coastals and repos are selling.

And a round-trip LA/SF/Seattle/Victoria BC/LA CAN be done on a 7-day cruise.

Maybe they could figure a way to alternate itineraries and do a few round trips and then maybe some one-ways to Vancouver, some Alaska cruises, and then one-ways back down, and do some more round trips out of LA.

Just a thought.............

As I said I would consider this in the summer but not winter and I would also take a Mexican Riviera cruise in the summer if Princess offered it (I'm not interested in taking it on Carnival). I think a Pacific Coast cruise would be interesting as a novelty or change of pace, but I don't believe the coastal cruises can be sustained in popularity in winter as Mexican Riviera cruises can. In my opinion most people won't do a cold wet cruise in winter up the coast more than once, whereas many people do the Mexican Riviera over and over to escape the cold of winter and because it's fun and easy to do.

I have a solution. Why not change some of these sailings to 4n sailings, like the MX sampler last December? That cruise sold out very quickly with a looong wait list (I know because we were on the cruise but our friends never cleared the WL).

Then it can sail down to Cabo, do Ensenada, maybe San Diego and then come home to LA. It would be perfect and would allow for more people to sail in December since it's a busy time of year and longer cruises are hard to fit into people's schedules.

Just hinting -- Princess!!

I just wanted to say that we spent 17 days in Mazatlan in Jan, 1 week at Emerald Bay and 10 days at El Cid at the Marina. We loved Mazatlan and never felt unsafe in any of the tourist areas. We didn't go as far south as the cruise terminal so I know nothing about that area. Maybe this is where the danger is. Why don't they just warn people to not wander around that area but to take a tour to the central area of the city and the Golden Zone. The city was full of tourists in these areas when we were there. We stuck mainly to the tourist zone although we did take the bus to Walmart and Mega one day. We did not hear about any problems anywhere. We took a city tour from the resort and had a great day. I read about more crimes happening here every day in the newspaper than in Mazatlan. Also we have always enjoyed Puerto Vallarta. I would certainly not want to walk around the cruise port in Acapulco or go to any of the border towns in Mexico.

As I said I would consider this in the summer but not winter and I would also take a Mexican Riviera cruise in the summer if Princess offered it (I'm not interested in taking it on Carnival). I think a Pacific Coast cruise would be interesting as a novelty or change of pace, but I don't believe the coastal cruises can be sustained in popularity in winter as Mexican Riviera cruises can. In my opinion most people won't do a cold wet cruise in winter up the coast more than once, whereas many people do the Mexican Riviera over and over to escape the cold of winter and because it's fun and easy to do.

That's why I said SUMMER months.:)

I did the PNW in May, and it was chilly, overcast and bumpy.

I still like the itinerary, though, and I think it would be ideal for those of us who live in hot climates to escape the heat.

That said, I would NEVER do Mexico in summer. I made the mistake of going at the end of September, and it was unbearably hot and humid.

That's why I said SUMMER months.:)

I did the PNW in May, and it was chilly, overcast and bumpy.

I still like the itinerary, though, and I think it would be ideal for those of us who live in hot climates to escape the heat.

That said, I would NEVER do Mexico in summer. I made the mistake of going at the end of September, and it was unbearably hot and humid.

I meant to add I agree with you too! :)

I have been to Puerto Vallarta in late May, the Florida keys in July, Cambodia in the rainy season in September -- I am ok with hot steamy weather if I'm on vacation, although I completely understand those who do not care for it. I live through cold wet weather in LA through the winter and do not care to spend my vacation on a ship when it's cold, windy and rainy outside. But to those who wish to take such a cruise I say go for it!:) I'll be interested to see if this itinerary lasts.

I have a solution. Why not change some of these sailings to 4n sailings, like the MX sampler last December? That cruise sold out very quickly with a looong wait list (I know because we were on the cruise but our friends never cleared the WL).

Then it can sail down to Cabo, do Ensenada, maybe San Diego and then come home to LA. It would be perfect and would allow for more people to sail in December since it's a busy time of year and longer cruises are hard to fit into people's schedules.

Just hinting -- Princess!!

Carnival Spirit is doing several 5-day cruises out of LA (San Pedro) next season: LA - Cabo - LA with an overnight stay in Cabo. I guess this kind of short term itinerary isn't suited to Sapphire Princess, though. I'm booked for the 5/5/12 MR cruise and will enjoy the ship for the week. I'll just count Ensenada as a sea day.:)

I just booked today the Sapphire for Dec. 10th. I am not that happy with the ports but the ship is more important than the ports. The ship will be real festive with beautiful Christmas decorations. I plan to have lots of fun on the ship. I love to dance and will be dancing everywhere if I hear music. I also love to play Trivia. The ship will most likely have lots of activities planned for us since we will be having lots of sea days.

I like sea days because the main dinning room will be open for lunch on all of those sea days and closed for the port days I am thinking.

The buffet is mostly always open day and evenings. I love to eat.lol.

There are some travel websites that are not aware of the new itinerary changes and are still selling the Sapphire with the original itinerary.

They will be truly disappointed when they find out of the change.

I am planning to stay positive and plan to have a great time on the Sapphire. I have cruised on her 3 times already. I am a Platinum member on Princess. This will be my 10th cruise with Princess. Lucy R.

I spoke with my parents over the weekend, and they also have decided to just keep a positive outlook. They're hopeful that one or more of the original ports may be restored, but have decided they just liked being on board a ship all decorated for Christmas and that they would rather relax on a cruise that leaves from a convenient port for them than worry about changing travel plans.

So, there will be at least 4 of you on this cruise. :D

Hey Somewhere guys, Tell your parents to go to the Sapphire princess roll call. There are more than 4 of us cruising on Dec.10th. lol. Lucy R.

If Princess lowers their rates.... lots of Californians and Arizonians will book at the last minute. Lucy R.

I have been going to Puerto Vallarta for the past 15 years. I have owned property there for the past 8 years. Yes there is crime there. There have been robberies, murders (usually domestic violence types) and other crimes. There have been the same types of crimes in Grand Rapids, Michigan where I live. Two teenagers were shot over the weekend. A robber seems to be making a habit of robbing convenience stores. Would that mean that I would say not to come to Grand Rapids? What about all the gang violence in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and the list could go on. Would we say not to go there?

I think there is a great deal of over reaction to isolated incidents. Puerto Vallarta is not at the border of Mexico where much of the drug cartel violence has occurred.

Puerto Vallarta is far safer than many cities in the United States.

Without PV no more cruising for me on Princess. Violence seems to

Be bad in Maz but not PV. Only one road Leeds to the city

Center so for the army it's easy to control. What is princess thinking with

that new itinerary. Shame on you Princess you will have to work

harder to get me back now. PV is the best out of those ports so much to do

andso much fun fun fun. Carnival I am back.

Sea ya

Eric

I agree with many removing Puerto Vallarta from the itinerary is disappointing. Puerto Vallarta is a true representation of a beautiful Mexico coastal town. I am sorry but Ensenada is an extension of Tijuana. Cabo is great if you are staying at a hotel resort or love fishing out at sea. Otherwise, I just don't see the excitement about Cabo.

I have been going to Puerto Vallarta for the past 15 years. I have owned property there for the past 8 years. Yes there is crime there. There have been robberies, murders (usually domestic violence types) and other crimes. There have been the same types of crimes in Grand Rapids, Michigan where I live. Two teenagers were shot over the weekend. A robber seems to be making a habit of robbing convenience stores. Would that mean that I would say not to come to Grand Rapids? What about all the gang violence in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and the list could go on. Would we say not to go there?

I think there is a great deal of over reaction to isolated incidents. Puerto Vallarta is not at the border of Mexico where much of the drug cartel violence has occurred.

Puerto Vallarta is far safer than many cities in the United States.

I quess it makes us 2 stupid as we have just bought property there also

this year at the Icon Vallarta. We did a mex riviera Cruise in

2001 and fell in love with Pv and have been going there since and like other

cities in the World if you hang out at the wrong places with

the wrong people you are bound to have something bad happen.

Anyhow i am happy and feel safe in PV and that is why we have

just bought there.

Sea ya

Eric

Archived