Mexico Itinerary changes - Sapphire Princess

RickEk

Just heard back from Customer Relations:

Dear Ms. [whitearrow]

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations Department. I am pleased to respond to your inquiry.

I do apologized for the incorrect information on our website. I will certainly forward this information

to our IT Department to get this resolve.

The correct itinerary for your voyage H148

is Ensenada 12/11 , Cabo San Lucas 12/13 (Overnight)

Sincerely,

Raymund

Customer Relations Representative

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Just heard back from Customer Relations:

Dear Ms. [whitearrow]

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations Department. I am pleased to respond to your inquiry.

I do apologized for the incorrect information on our website. I will certainly forward this information

to our IT Department to get this resolve.

The correct itinerary for your voyage H148

is Ensenada 12/11 , Cabo San Lucas 12/13 (Overnight)

Sincerely,

Raymund

Customer Relations Representative

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Oh boy. Good luck selling that cruise!

PVR...just another big city with tacky souvenirs. At least there are more options of things to do ashore in Cabo than PVR.

Are you serious? PV isn't a big city. Certainly they have a lot of souvenir shops...selling the same type of articles you buy in Cabo (and Hualtulco for that matter) which is primarily an area built up and created for tourism with lots of timeshares.

PV has a very large ex-pat community. You can go practically anywhere in the city and they "hablan Inglés". There is more to Puerto Vallarta than the hotel and tourist section close to the pier; it is a beautiful city with great restaurants, art galleries, beautiful beaches, and theater. There is easily accessible public transportation and shopping a la Americano, i.e. Walmart, Sam's, and Costco.

I don't know why Princess is changing its itinerary and not going to Puerto Vallarta but I can't believe it is for safety reasons. If people are afraid to go there it's like the mess with the swine flu...people making decisions out of fear and ignorance not informed facts. There has to be some economic reason for the decision. Removing PV and other cities from the itineraries will have a very negative impact on the economy of the area.

If you read the impact statement Carnival Corp released today you can see that the company isn't doing as well as predicted so changes have to be made to increase profit.

As a shareholder, I want to see Carnival Corp profitable. As an annual visitor to Puerto Vallarta I want to see tourists continuing to go there. I hope these are not mutually incompatible.

We'll be onboard the Sapphire in September and plan on booking while onboard for December 10th. Looks like there's going to be some mighty fine cruising bargains......I'm looking forward to watching and seeing what happens with the cruises to........."who knows where?" :rolleyes:

Tampa, Ft Lauderdale and Miami. We live in FL and tourists and residents are robbed and killed here. Sad, but it happens here and everywhere. We go to Puerto Vallarta every year for a month and consider it to be as safe if not safer than Tampa and definitely safer than Miami. No matter where you go, there are bad people and if you stop traveling to a destination because someone was killed there you'd never go anywhere. The drug killings primarily happen around the USA/Mexican border and few have occurred in other parts of MX.

true but you don't get held up at knife point at 10 am on the beach out front of the ritz south beach. Having been held up on the beach of the acupulco princess I have never gone back to mexico in 15 years. The hotel manager tried to cover it up too so who knows how much really gets out in the news and it has only gotten worse. And yes you can get held up anywhere but many places are safer than mexico so why put your passengers at risk when you have other options

I booked the Dec 10 cruise about a month ago. I love PV and Mazatlan. But with the change eliminating PV and Mazatlan and the addition of Ensenada, I will be cancelling prior to final payment unless the ports change back to something more desireable.

Really, I can't imagine going to Ensenada on a vacation. I can't see taking this cruise with only one "good" port.

I hope HAL keeps their Mexican Rivera cruise as is. I think I will likely be switching over to it.

We just had a 12 year boy killed in front of his middle school in a suburb of L.A., by a man with a knife. So horrible!

It can happen anywhere. Do we need to walk around with armed guards? Or, do we not leave our homes?........Going anywhere can a be a risk, anytime.....it's a shame.

It's a dangerous world. Our problem is we are likely to hear or see it more than ever before because of our ability to transmit the news further and faster than ever before!!!!!

I refuse to be held hostage by the news.

You quoted: Originally Posted by Crzn-Life

Tampa, Ft Lauderdale and Miami. We live in FL and tourists and residents are robbed and killed here. Sad, but it happens here and everywhere. We go to Puerto Vallarta every year for a month and consider it to be as safe if not safer than Tampa and definitely safer than Miami. No matter where you go, there are bad people and if you stop traveling to a destination because someone was killed there you'd never go anywhere. The drug killings primarily happen around the USA/Mexican border and few have occurred in other parts of MX.

You said: true but you don't get held up at knife point at 10 am on the beach out front of the ritz south beach. Having been held up on the beach of the acupulco princess I have never gone back to mexico in 15 years. The hotel manager tried to cover it up too so who knows how much really gets out in the news and it has only gotten worse. And yes you can get held up anywhere but many places are safer than mexico so why put your passengers at risk when you have other options

True, we've never been held up at knife point, but we have had some close encounters. One night in Waterford,PA we were car-chased by by some really strange yahoos and we were truly afraid for our lives. I was chased by some men one night in Erie PA when I left work and do not know what would have happened if a policeman hadn't miraculously appeared. We also had some truly scary encounters in Cannes, France and Gdansk, Poland both during the day. Friends of ours were mugged in Manhattan (during the day) and others accosted in Barcelona on their way to the ship. The point is: it happens everywhere. We've been going to Puerto Vallarta for years and stay there a minimum of 4 weeks at a time and not once have we felt threatened or afraid. We've also spent time in Cozumel and Ajijic, MX and in neither place did we feel threatened. We have not and do not intend to travel to any of the border states and towns because we would not feel safe there. We also avoid sections of Tampa and lots of places Miami because we do not feel safe there. Remember a few years back when rental car companies did away with their stickers on cars that identified them as rental cars because so many tourists in Miami were being robbed and killed?

If Princess stopped docking in every port where someone had been robbed, accosted or murdered they would essentially have to eliminate most ports in their itineraries.

My mistake. But I thought I heard that Oosterdam was being sent elsewhere in 2012... It does appear that they are keeping a small ship there.

If I remember correctly, my TA did say that the O was going to Australia after a Hawaii run.

My TA has many, many crew friends at HAL, and they're saying there is not enough money to be made on the west coast. (Make of that what you will.)

Geez you guys. ;) Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

We have one of those 4 day CCL cruises booked which stops in Ensenada. We live in San Diego. We know whats is going on down there, and we are not canceling.

Do I like Ensenada ? MMMMM~~but we have had some nice ship's tours there.

So it seems that the people who have had contact with Princess over the itinerary change haven't asked why it's happening? It seems odd that if it were for safety reasons or because the cruise line thinks it can save money by not doing the Mexico run, Princess would wait until later in the year to change the itinerary. Why not change it on the first cruise back to Mexico after the Alaska season?

I'm thinking it's dry dock - after the December cruises she'll be going into dry dock and so that must be the reason they are changing the itinerary. Don't ask me why...

If I remember correctly, my TA did say that the O was going to Australia after a Hawaii run.

My TA has many, many crew friends at HAL, and they're saying there is not enough money to be made on the west coast. (Make of that what you will.)

Geez you guys. ;) Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

We have one of those 4 day CCL cruises booked which stops in Ensenada. We live in San Diego. We know whats is going on down there, and we are not canceling.

Do I like Ensenada ? MMMMM~~but we have had some nice ship's tours there.

Dont' take any of this personal....some people just like to attack.

I'm with you....Am I crazy about Ensenada...a big MMMMMM...from me. I'll enjoy the ship....4 day cruises can be very lively. I'd do one again, just for the change of scenery at home!!!! They're easy, inexpensive and filled with a lot of fun folks!!!!

So it seems that the people who have had contact with Princess over the itinerary change haven't asked why it's happening? It seems odd that if it were for safety reasons or because the cruise line thinks it can save money by not doing the Mexico run, Princess would wait until later in the year to change the itinerary. Why not change it on the first cruise back to Mexico after the Alaska season?

I'm thinking it's dry dock - after the December cruises she'll be going into dry dock and so that must be the reason they are changing the itinerary. Don't ask me why...

This is interesting and creative thinking. If the rumor is true and only the December itineraries have been changed then financial or safety reasons would not seem to make sense. The Sapphire is going into drydock right after the New Year's cruise.

But why change the itinerary just before drydock? The ship will be overnighting in Cabo. Do they need the ship to be stationary at night to do some work? Anybody have any theories?

None whatsoever! :D

But why change the itinerary just before drydock? The ship will be overnighting in Cabo. Do they need the ship to be stationary at night to do some work? Anybody have any theories?

Just got an update from my TA on this - Princess told my TA that for this year's cruises they're making the change for security reasons/ concerns. At this point they're not sure what will happen in 2012, but according to the reps my TA talked to, 2011 won't be going to PV or Mazatlan.

Unfortunate but as with others since the itinerary changed I've switched to a different cruise.

Cheers,

CG

You probably believe in conspiracy theories also :)

The first cruises after the Alaska season is the Pacific Coast and then California coastals. After the coastals, it goes to Hawaii and then to Hawaii and Tahiti and then Mexico.

You are right - Princess has not made any statement about why they changed their ports. It doesn't appear the cruises before Mexico are affected (as I am booked on 2 of them) - so it doesn't appear that the ship is having to sail at reduced speed. It is also doing that massive cruise to Tahiti and Hawaii beforehand so if it is going at reduced speed, these sailings would be greatly affected.

So maybe there is an odd reason that Princess has not revealed. Hopefully someone booked on these will ask!

Just got an update from my TA on this - Princess told my TA that for this year's cruises they're making the change for security reasons/ concerns. At this point they're not sure what will happen in 2012, but according to the reps my TA talked to, 2011 won't be going to PV or Mazatlan.

Thanks for having your agent ask. We were typing at the same time.

And I'm sure that's what it's all about. How can Princess say it's about security when it's going to Ensenada. Yeah, that place is safe:rolleyes:. I don't have a horse in the race anymore. I've cancelled my 2012 cruise and made sure they knew why although I'm sure it means nothing to them.

I think it is because they can save on fuel costs. Think about it...they are only going as far south as Cabo, and then spending two days there, then heading back. They could take one of the Cabo days and go to La Paz if it was a safety issue. And there are other places. I go because I want to be warm. The high desert isn't warm in the wintertime.

I'm booked for March. I've been booked forever. I booked a B2B in a HC cabin, which I need now. The way Princess is doing this, if I wanted to wait to see if this was going to be the itinerary, I'd likely be beyond final payment. And if I try to change it to another West Coast B2B, like Alaska, most likely I'd have to change cabins at this point.

Remind me why I chose to cruise Princess enough to become Elite? Oh, yea, it was because I love Princess and they had West Coast Homeports...

M

I think it is because they can save on fuel costs. Think about it...they are only going as far south as Cabo, and then spending two days there, then heading back. They could take one of the Cabo days and go to La Paz if it was a safety issue. M

Exactly. I mentioned that a little ways back in this thread (I think:o). There are so many other places they could go to that haven't had the bad press. I sure hope Princess plans to discount these cruises highly because I don't see a lot of support for this decision.

I bet they are negotiating right now with other ports to add on to the itiniary. My guess is they will add on Catalina or Santa Barbara and San Diego to make it more appealing. They will never be able to sell a 7n cruise with 2 ports like Cabo and Ensenada. If they are smart, they are on the phone with the appropriate people to try to make the changes. Granted the weather will be cool in December in So Cal, but it beats having only 2 stops, one of which is a tender port where elderly really cannot even get off well...

Katherine

Not only do I believe in conspiracy theories, I have proof - but seriously - the original post said:

Rumor has it that Princess is considering dropping Puerto Vallarta as well as Mazatlan on the three Mexican Riviera cruises on the Sapphire Princess at the end of this year.

The bold font is mine for emphasis - Princess has a pretty decent business model - I really don't think they think they can substitute Ensenada successfully on this itinerary...and if they do, they've lost more than the Mexican Riviera. I was on the last Mexican Riviera cruise on Sapphire Princess and rumor had it that in 2012, Mazatlan would continue to be skipped but the overnight would be spent in PV rather than Cabo.

Discuss.

You probably believe in conspiracy theories also :)

Archived