Mexico Itinerary changes - Sapphire Princess

RickEk

If Princess decided to add Catalina to the mix, then I might reconsider the mexican riviera cruise with a 2-night cabo plus catalina. Forget Ensenada.

Agreed. What makes them think that Ensenada is safer than PV and/or Mazatlan??

Ensenada has nothing to see/do other than drink at Mango Mango and visit the blowhole.

I was really looking forward to booking a Mex Riv cruise this December. Now... not so much.

Ensenada is a "Jones Act" necessity, not a choice. The only other alternative for Princess would be to go to Canada - Pacific Northwest is complicated.

In order to follow the law, Ensenada is the closest port for a one week cruise. Going to Canada would take at least 2 more days of cruising, in order to have time in ports.

Offering only 10 day cruising choices is not always feasible for some folks. Although, if Princess offered them at 7 day pricing, it may be more doable for many.

Then they could offer a: L.A., Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Vancouver, back to L.A. Or, any version thereof! I'd take this in a flash.

The seas going north can get very rough. I'm sure that's in the equation, as well.

We'll see what happens. The "snowbirds" who want that "warm weather" cruise from L.A., Long Beach and San Diego may have a problem in the future. I hope not, we love them.

I predict the cruises up the California coast will dwindle in popularity after one season -- unless people really enjoy cold, rainy, windy cruises in choppy seas. Many people do not enjoy the last day or two of the Mexican Riviera cruises because it is cold and choppy. I wouldn't enjoy having those conditions on an entire 7 day cruise. Catalina? Yawn there is nothing there. I hope Princess returns to PV in time for May 2012!

Ensenada is a "Jones Act" necessity, not a choice. The only other alternative for Princess would be to go to Canada - Pacific Northwest is complicated.

In order to follow the law, Ensenada is the closest port for a one week cruise. Going to Canada would take at least 2 more days of cruising, in order to have time in ports.

Offering only 10 day cruising choices is not always feasible for some folks. Although, if Princess offered them at 7 day pricing, it may be more doable for many.

Then they could offer a: L.A., Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Vancouver, back to L.A. Or, any version thereof! I'd take this in a flash.

The seas going north can get very rough. I'm sure that's in the equation, as well.

We'll see what happens. The "snowbirds" who want that "warm weather" cruise from L.A., Long Beach and San Diego may have a problem in the future. I hope not, we love them.

First, it's not the Jones Act, it's the PVSA. And the PVSA has nothing to do with the revised itinerary as Cabo is just as much in Mexico as Ensenada. So granted, while they do westcoast cruises, they need a foreign stop. There was no reason to pick Ensenada over Catalina or San Diego on the revised Mexican Riveria cruises.

I predict the cruises up the California coast will dwindle in popularity after one season -- unless people really enjoy cold, rainy, windy cruises in choppy seas. Many people do not enjoy the last day or two of the Mexican Riviera cruises because it is cold and choppy. I wouldn't enjoy having those conditions on an entire 7 day cruise. Catalina? Yawn there is nothing there. I hope Princess returns to PV in time for May 2012!

I booked May 2012 a year ago and hope to visit my favorite port PV. I started a roll call a few weeks ago.

I would prefer they stop somewhere farther south than Ensenada, say, La Paz, but frankly, I don't care that much as long as the weather is nice. The chances are better for good weather in Ensenada than in Catalina or even San Diego.

I'm not cancelling this cruise -- I want to get away, it's incredibly cheap, and hopefully we will have good weather.

First, it's not the Jones Act, it's the PVSA. And the PVSA has nothing to do with the revised itinerary as Cabo is just as much in Mexico as Ensenada. So granted, while they do westcoast cruises, they need a foreign stop. There was no reason to pick Ensenada over Catalina or San Diego on the revised Mexican Riveria cruises.

Since my dog is not in this fight........I won't argue the Jones Act with you. And, neither Catalina or San Diego are desireable stops for a lot of folks who would prefer a warmer climate such as PV and Mazatlan.

Me, I prefer the "cruise ship" itself! Where it goes matters not!

That's not to say I don't understand where folks are coming from when they desire to cruise to warm climates and love to sit in the sun on deck. To each his own!

So Dh, kids and I are booked on Sapphire on Nov. 19th. I went on Web site today and noticed they have Indeed taken out Mazatlan and PV. We now stay overnight in Cabo and go to Ensenada! I went to Ensenada in May on Golden from Hawaii and it was not great! What happened here? I called TA but she left for the day. Until she calls me back tomorrow, does anybody know what happened? 2 ports? I am not thrilled about this. Our kids love PV.. Dang they will be disappointed..

Well, my TA called me after listening to my message and she told me this in case anyone else was curious about thier fall trip.

"Princess has not gone to Mazatlan all year due to security reasons. They recently took PV out of all fall itineraries until they get clearance that it is safe to go back. It is possible PV will return to the Fall lineup, but Mazatlan is definatley out! Something is going on there that Princess does not want to be a part of.. They compensated by giving Ensenada and overnight in Cabo But... all itineraries are subject to change in a moments notice. She also told me Ensenada is getting bad reviews so they may change that too.." (I will not get off here, it was not a great place!)

So, I guess we just enjoy the overnight in Cabo.. Since that is really the only stop on our Thanksgiving Cruise.. :(

You'd be a heck of a lot more "disappointed" if you were caught in the crossfire of AK47's in the tourist zone as some people were last March. There have been numerous murders of people, including women, left in cars in the port area. Crew have been threatened and harassed. The drug wars are active in Mazatlan and the folks with the guns don't care who gets in the way. When we were there in January, there were troops with guns and dogs patrolling the port and tourist area. All of the cruise lines have pulled out of Mazatlan because it was just a matter of time before cruise passengers were murdered. They aren't taking any chances. If you really want to go into this situation, I'm sure the hotels would be happy to book you.

You could check other ships. I think Carnival Splendor is still making all 3 ports.

We are on the Splendor in Feb.,2012 and are wondering if they will go to the three prots or is Carnival just waiting until the last few weeks to cancel those two ports. Will be interesting.

You could check other ships. I think Carnival Splendor is still making all 3 ports.

Worth checking out, as Carnival is also less expensive. If you are a Princess lover, you might not even consider it but as someone who has been on 6+ cruise lines, we have found Carnival to be great to travel on and we do not have any young kids or grands. We were on a cruise with 800 of the 2400 passengers being kids and it was actually one of the best and most romantic cruises we ever took! We are actually taking the same Thanksgiving cruise again this year and will do one out of Jacksonville in 2012 and renew our wedding vows. Just a thought for a way to see more than Cabo and Ensenda.

Well, my TA called me after listening to my message and she told me this in case anyone else was curious about thier fall trip.

"Princess has not gone to Mazatlan all year due to security reasons.

Not really true as we stopped in both Mazatlan and PV on our February 2011 Sapphire Princess Cruise. Some of the cruises before and after ours skipped Mazatlan but we docked and had a great day. Based upon the continuing reports of violence in some areas I'm not surprised of the changes but feel for the hardworking people in those ports being bypassed whose livelihoods rely on the cruise industry.

I would prefer they stop somewhere farther south than Ensenada, say, La Paz, but frankly, I don't care that much as long as the weather is nice. The chances are better for good weather in Ensenada than in Catalina or even San Diego.

I'm not cancelling this cruise -- I want to get away, it's incredibly cheap, and hopefully we will have good weather.

Ensenada, Los Angeles, Catalina, and San Diego, are all close to each other and have the same weather. Winter is cool and rainy. And the water is very cold. Much too cool for the beach, or water sports.

For those who have suggested a Pacific Coastal cruise as an alternative, keep in mind that most of these Mexican Riviera cruises take place in the winter. No one is going to want to cruise to Vancouver in the middle of winter.

Ensenada, Los Angeles, Catalina, and San Diego, are all close to each other and have the same weather. Winter is cool and rainy. And the water is very cold. Much too cool for the beach, or water sports.

For those who have suggested a Pacific Coastal cruise as an alternative, keep in mind that most of these Mexican Riviera cruises take place in the winter. No one is going to want to cruise to Vancouver in the middle of winter.

Tom, forgive me for disagreeing with you but I can promise you there are many, many folks [my family and friends included] who would love a cruise from L.A. to Vancouver, some of whom are coming from back east. And, they'd do it during the winter months.

Remember these cruises would originate from a warm climate allowing people to do the "touristy" thing either before or after the cruise. Cruising is not just about the weather and a lot of people have no aversion to the choppy seas or the cooler climates.

Will this appeal to the masses? No way to know unless they try it.

Vancouver to Hawaii was a popular cruise.

Tom, forgive me for disagreeing with you but I can promise you there are many, many folks [my family and friends included] who would love a cruise from L.A. to Vancouver, some of whom are coming from back east. And, they'd do it during the winter months.

Remember these cruises would originate from a warm climate allowing people to do the "touristy" thing either before or after the cruise. Cruising is not just about the weather and a lot of people have no aversion to the choppy seas or the cooler climates.

Will this appeal to the masses? No way to know unless they try it.

I'm thinking that they would only do it once!!! during the winter the seas would be very stormy and rough. Wouldn't be a fun cruise at all

I'm thinking that they would only do it once!!! during the winter the seas would be very stormy and rough. Wouldn't be a fun cruise at all

It's probably the reason they don't do it or haven't in the past.

Before the ships had stablizers as they do today, cruising was really about feeling the ocean beneath you. Now, unless they hit a rogue wave or are traveling at high speeds on choppy seas, it feels like they're gliding on glass.

I still have a large contingent who would love to see the L.A. to Vancouver route.

Archived