Possibly purchasing a drink package

stephluva

We are cruising on the Celebrity Summit on 7/17/11 and we are debating about purchasing a drink package for this sailing. We were looking at the Classic Alcohol Drink Package. A few questions for those who have recently sailed:

1. Does anyone have a list of prices for 2011? I saw the "sticky" for the 2010 prices, but want specific prices for the Summit in 2011.

2. We really like to drink the "drinks of the day", frozen drinks like "Miami Vice", as well as beer, wine, and amaretto. Does anyone know if these particular drinks would fall under the Classic Alcohol Package?

3. Did anyone purchase a Classic Alcohol Package and wish they had gotten the Premium Alcohol Package?

Thanks!!!! :D

As Classic covers any cocktail $8 or under, I think the DOD would usually be covered. I upgraded from Classic to Premium on Equinox because for the Martini Bar ($10) and because of the singular horrid Chardonnay offered on the Classic. If you are not satisfied with Classic you can go to any bar and upgrade from the remainder of the cruise. Summit does not yet have the S class Martini bar set up, FYI.

As long as you aren't drinking martinis and don't mind ordering from the lower end of wine by the glass, you should be OK with the Classic package. I only get Premium because I prefer more wine options. And there's no Molecular Bar on Summit yet; you need the Premium package to get those included!

are these cards with your name on them or stickers for your cruise card?

it depends on when you buy - if you purchase before sailing, it'll be printed on your Sign & Sail card. If you purchase on the ship, you'll get a sticker for your card.

We just returned from a VERY port intensive cruise on the Solstice. We pre-bought the premium package and LOVED it! I think it all depends on what type of drinker you are. I love the specialty coffee (I cannot stand the free coffee) and I am also a diet coke drinker... and I LOVE the martini bar. I think it's best to really evaluate the price difference and decide from there. The package for my 12 night cruise was a LOT of money to come up with... but I do know that it made my cruise more enjoyable. Not that I drank more, or was getting or not getting my money's worth. But... I never once worried about how much my bar bill was going to be and IF I should get something special or not. I enjoyed everything and tried things I normally would not.

It really is a great program! I don't think I'll go without it again.

Everyone in your cabin does not have to purchase a package but there is no sharing. Remember, cabin service is not included, nor is the bar in the cabin.

As far as the Martini Bar - enjoy the one on Summit while it is still there. We were on the refurbed Constellation and they took away our favorite meeting place. We were a rather large group of reunited friends and used Crush because the Martini Bar is way too small. The sad part was that the original place of the Martini Bar was usually pretty empty on most nights.

We had the premium package and loved the choices, especially the coffees. I never drank them much before but really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere in the coffee bar area.

We were happy not doing the drink package. We did do the premium non-alcoholic one. The reason we did not do an alcoholic package is because we knew we would need the premuim one given our tastes. We also knew we would be bringing 2 bottles of wine on board, would get one bottle with CC, and would be doing the wine tastings which are not included, plus we like to drink a little in the countries we visit. Just a little something to think about.

We still drank every day, drank at the martini bar, drank at the moecular bar, etc, and when we tallied it up we were way under the cost of the package. Thinking about our upcoming 12 night cruise, we are going to stay away from the package again. Almost $1400 for liqour is going to make us feel like we need to drink the whole time. I think people enjoy the package, but also felt like we got better service not being on the package. Hope it helps.

Everyone in your cabin does not have to purchase a package but there is no sharing. Remember, cabin service is not included, nor is the bar in the cabin.

As far as the Martini Bar - enjoy the one on Summit while it is still there. We were on the refurbed Constellation and they took away our favorite meeting place. We were a rather large group of reunited friends and used Crush because the Martini Bar is way too small. The sad part was that the original place of the Martini Bar was usually pretty empty on most nights.

We had the premium package and loved the choices, especially the coffees. I never drank them much before but really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere in the coffee bar area.

I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate sharing but from the price they charge it seems as though they almost anticipate it happening. ;)

Don't like differing with Stephanie, but on the drink packages from our just completed cruise with Celebrity, we said "NO" to the package options. Why? COSTS!!!

On this mid June cruise, the premium pack was $54 a day for drinks up to a cost of $12 a serving. The classic package was $44 a day for beers up to $5 and other drinks/wine up to $8 a serving. On the premium package on a twelve day cruise that adds up to $648, plus the 15% gratuity, making for a grand total of $745.20 per person. WOW! That's kind of like "real money" on my budget. For the more modest classic package, that would total to $607.20. I was very happy with the free ice tea (with lots of lemon added), juices, buying some wine and beer as needed for dinner, etc.

Now as we are back in the USA and needing to pay those credit card bills for the tours, purchases, getting picture enlargements made, hotels, land meals, etc., I was happy skipping those drink packages on the cruise and not having to "pay up" now in July. As noted, ours was a heavy and great port-focused cruise. On most days, we didn't have time or physical skills to handle five or six alcoholic drinks in each 24-hour period to justify that large of a package payment, every day! Sorry. Just another viewpoint and some cost specifics.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now over 15,640 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 45,045 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Are the drinks are unlimited? How many glass of wine with dinner can be taken? Taking 8 cocktails and a bottle of wine every day for 2 people, is it beneficial? Thank you

Are the drinks are unlimited? How many glass of wine with dinner can be taken? Taking 8 cocktails and a bottle of wine every day for 2 people, is it beneficial? Thank you

Hi Saphir,

From what I've read... YES Drinks are indeed UNLIMITED. (However, as always the Ship does have the right to cut someone off if they deem them to be so intoxicated so that they are either a danger to themselves or someone else).

In the end...

ONLY you can do the math for what will be right for you and yours (and the particular cruise you'll be on... How Many Nights, Cruise Itinerary, At Sea or At Port etc)... BUT in our case it was easy logic.

Sure as TLCOHIO has pointed out the final cost per person seems VERY HIGH... $ 54 per person / day PLUS 15% for the Premium Alcohol Package

BUT when you take into consideration that it covers most of the beverage choices on the ship (anything up to $ 12 per serving) AND includes NOT JUST Alcohol but also everything else you'd want to drink (Regular Bottled Water, Fancy Bottled Water, Pop, Juice, Flavoured Coffees... including things like Ice Caps, All Teas, All Beers, Most Wines by the Glass, Martinis, After Dinner Liqueurs, and Specialty Coffees... those with booze in them like Irish Coffees)

At least for us, when looking at the Price List here on the Cruise Critic Celebrity Board... which shows even the most basic of items can cost $ 3 or $ 4 a pour... the choice to buy the Premium Alcohol Package was an easy one.

For myself, on vacation I typically consume in a day... 1 Hot Tea - 1 Juice (with Breakfast) - 2 Bottles of Water (during the day) - 1 Soda or Pop - with a Glass of Wine (Lunch) - a Late Afternoon Cocktail - A Martini before Dinner - 2 Glasses of Wine with Dinner - a Coffee - and perhaps a Nightcap

Add in the fact that the ship also has some "featured" drink areas on board (like the Coffee Bar, the Martini Bar, and Cellar Masters)... and chances are good that I'll indulge on some days in those areas as well.

I am pretty sure, I'll get my money's worth over the course of the cruise.

And love the fact that there is nothing to sign each and every time... and at least for us, we will find it much easier to budget in that we'll know up front exactly what our bill will be. Much more peace of mind, than thinking thru the entire cruise... how much have we spent so far?

Our plan is to book in advance, or even pre-pay as much as we can... so we have a total grip on our overall budget and therefore eliminate as much as possible the last day "surprise gift" from the cruise line.

Cheers!

Thank you.

I'll think about. I calculated

*5 drink a $ 9 X 7 days X 2 people = $ 630

7 bottles of wine was $ 35 = $ 245

TOTAL = $ 875

Premium Package

$ 54 / day / person. + 15% = $ 869

Do I understand?

Thank you.

I'll think about. I calculated

*5 drink a $ 9 X 7 days X 2 people = $ 630

7 bottles of wine was $ 35 = $ 245

TOTAL = $ 875

Premium Package

$ 54 / day / person. + 15% = $ 869

Do I understand?

Yes, you do. BUT...both alcohol packages only include wine by the glass, not bottles. I've heard there is a nice selection in Premium vs. Classic. I'm not a wine drinker, however, so I couldn't say from experience.

The "premium" cocktails like the martini bar and molecular bar would be covered by the premium package, however, so that might make up for the difference if you upgraded only to drink wine.

Hi Saphir,

Here is the link to the Celebrity Drink Price List = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243495

It appears as a STICKY here at the top of the Celebrity Board entitled *Evaluating a Beverage Package? Here is a Beverage List with prices, as of mid-2010*

Do what I did to see if it is a good deal for you… include ALL the Beverages you think you’ll consume in a day.

So from my own personal daily example above…

BREAKFAST

English Breakfast Tea = $ 4.00

Juice = $ 2.50

DAY

Bottled Water ($ 2.50 x 2) = $ 5.00

LUNCH

Pop = $ 2.00

Premium Wine by the Glass = $ 10.00

COCKTAIL HOUR

Cocktail or Fancy Drink = $ 8.00 (average)

DINNER

Martini = $ 10.00

Premium Wine by the Glass ($ 12 x 2) = $ 24.00

Specialty Coffee (Cappuccino) = $ 4.00

LATE NIGHT

Nightcap or Liqueur = $ 10.00

TOTAL (if purchased ala carte) = aprox $ 79.50 + 15%

So with the Premium Alcohol Package costing $ 54 + 15%

At least for me, the choice is a clear cut one !!

:):):)

Mr Sloop's daily consumption would look somewhat similar (although there would certainly be BEER on his list) :D

Remember you CANNOT SHARE packages... so you really have to do the math to see if they are a good value for each of you.

2SEAWITHME is right, the better drinks (be they wine, beer, coffee, tea or juice) is found in the Premimum Packages. As total wine lovers, Mr Sloop and I typically go out to a Restaurant and order GOOD Wine... so we are far more inspired by the Premium Wines by the Glass than the regular offerings. The advantage to the program is that we can now match our wines to our food... so perhaps a Sauvignon Blanc with the Salad or Appys and a Merlot with the Main Course. Drinking by the glass does have its advantages.

Overall though the convenience of purchasing the package in our opinion is (a) Total Savings (b) Being able to Budget Upfront © No signing

In addition, we still plan to bring on board our 2 bottle wine allowance per cabin... in our case we are thinking good quality champagne (FREE when consumed in your cabin... $ 25 Corkage Fee if taken to the Dining Room)... we intend to drink it in our room.

AND if by some wacky chance we do choose to drink an expensive bottle of wine... it will happen no doubt in one of the Specialty Restaurants... and well then, we'll just chalk it up to the fact that we got caught up in the ambience of the whole thing (and probably still come out ahead on our Premium Drink Package anyhow... lol, drink more water the next day to stave off the hang-over :eek:)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Thanks Sloop John B

You've convinced me that the premium package is the way to go.

I like a few beers (Peroni's being my fav') around 5 pm and perhaps have a pre dinner drink before 3 glasses of wine with the meals and will easily follow that with a couple of Vodka's in the show lounges/theatre.

If I meet up with fellow social drinkers then the package will come into a league of its own!!!icon7.gif

We just returned from a VERY port intensive cruise on the Solstice. We pre-bought the premium package and LOVED it! I think it all depends on what type of drinker you are. I love the specialty coffee (I cannot stand the free coffee) and I am also a diet coke drinker... and I LOVE the martini bar. I think it's best to really evaluate the price difference and decide from there. The package for my 12 night cruise was a LOT of money to come up with... but I do know that it made my cruise more enjoyable. Not that I drank more, or was getting or not getting my money's worth. But... I never once worried about how much my bar bill was going to be and IF I should get something special or not. I enjoyed everything and tried things I normally would not.

It really is a great program! I don't think I'll go without it again.

I couldn't agree more! We really liked the Martini Bar - and it was nice to try something new and not feel terrible if I decided I didn't care for it and wasted $12. We had tea, speciality coffee drinks, martinis, bombay sapphire, evian, smoothies... all included in the premium package. Only thing was one of the types of champagne was higher than the $12 max, so I drank something different. lol We might not have drank the cost of the package, but I include the convenience as a plus!

We also LOVE the premium alcohol packages for all of the reasons mentioned, plus having the ability to try something new and if you don't like it, just order something else. If your frozen margarita melts out in the sun by the pool, get another one! The martini bar is a great place to meet and those martini's are great. They will even get one for you at dinner if you want it. My husband would have san pelligrino with his dinner every night, a martini and then wine with dinner and after dinner coffee with liquor. Plus you can just stop on your way off the ship in port and grab a bottle of water, or get some water from the bar (or anything else for that matter) to take back to your room.

Will definitely be getting the premium package again.

The Premium package was the way to go for us. Mostly because my favorite bar is the Molecular bar and those drinks were included at the $12 max.

Yes...drinks are unlimited. And I used my card a LOT!

I know the cost seems huge upfront and it is... but no one seems to care how much the bar bill is at the end? It's the same either way. BUT... I did find that paying for it in advance gave me peace of mind for the whole trip. Did I drink the $50 a day?? Most of the time... and if I came in right under that?? Who cares. I knew that I was going to get off the ship with only my gratuities on the bill. Next year I'll get the drink package AND do prepaid gratuities. NO bill at the end of the cruise. Even better!

The package is pricey... but if you do like to enjoy all the bars... the coffee shop... fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast (which I love!) Different wines to match all the courses at dinner (yes, you can do this with the package). And we got many bottles of water to have in our room and to take with us in port for the day. It was worth it to me.

I think it's a great program and I hope they keep it. At our dining table there were 5 of us out of 7 that had the package. All of us loved it.

Archived