money for Canada

If you were going on a cruise to Canada, should you exchange your money before or after you get there?

Hopefully not too dumb of a question...but, where would you do that?

I cruised there before, but I didn't spend any money there.

You do not need to exchange money at all; both St. John's & Halifax except American Dollars, hoped that helped and it wasnt a dumb question at all :)

Thanks!

As a side note, do you happen to know the city? If you do, is the greyhound bus station as close to the port as it seems?

Sorry I do not but if you post your question in city's thread someone should be able to answer your question

*Edit* Post your question here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

We were able to pay in American dollars, but almost all of the vendors gave change only in Canadian. It was kind of weird actually.

I'm in Canada.. and I guess I don't understand how that would be "weird" as you say?? If you're visiting Canada.. please do expect Canadian change back from your US dollars.. :) And also please note.. at best of times these days our dollar is STRONGER than the US dollar and you will get LESS money back from your US dollar.. :D

We were able to pay in American dollars, but almost all of the vendors gave change only in Canadian. It was kind of weird actually.

all foreign ports do this. I have a small change jar of Canada and Bahama coins

Most merchants will accept US$ but for sure in the recent past it was illegal but they would take the chance. And may still be illegal. Although some post exchange rates.

I can't imagine you getting change in US$.

Or expecting to actually. Try C$ in the states outside of a few border towns and let us know how it works out for you. Esp after you already ate and say you have nothing else. I'd like to be there to watch. Probably be even more exciting than a dress code thread.

I do recall years ago a US customer really giving a restaurant manager heck for not taking his money. Even when the guy said legally he wasn't supposed to. Not one of the better ambassadors.

I guess I should clarify that this would be in places where everyone (from the cruise) was paying in US dollars. You'd be in lines handing over cash and the merchants would say that they only had Canadian when they gave you cash even though everyone paying was doing so in US currency. It wasn't a big deal really, but it took some caution not to bring home a pile of Canadian money :p The exchange rate last year was 1:1 so it's not like they were getting ahead, but it is weird when you watch the person in front of you hand over $5 in US funds and then you're told they only have $5 Canadian for your change. Does that make sense?

I guess I should clarify that this would be in places where everyone (from the cruise) was paying in US dollars. You'd be in lines handing over cash and the merchants would say that they only had Canadian when they gave you cash even though everyone paying was doing so in US currency. It wasn't a big deal really, but it took some caution not to bring home a pile of Canadian money :p The exchange rate last year was 1:1 so it's not like they were getting ahead, but it is weird when you watch the person in front of you hand over $5 in US funds and then you're told they only have $5 Canadian for your change. Does that make sense?

I can't imagine why anyone would say it was illegal to take US$$ in Canada - I have seen it done here all the time and the exchange rate is posted in most stores/restaurants.

As for getting change back in US funds? How funny is that? do you think Canadian merchants have a 'special stash' of different funds for visitors from other countries so they can give them back change in their 'preferred' denomination?

When I go to the US and pay with canadian dollars you can bet they are giving me back change in US dolars and not in canadian funds! :D:D (ya, what's up with that? :D)

I can't imagine why anyone would say it was illegal to take US$$ in Canada - I have seen it done here all the time and the exchange rate is posted in most stores/restaurants.

As for getting change back in US funds? How funny is that? do you think Canadian merchants have a 'special stash' of different funds for visitors from other countries so they can give them back change in their 'preferred' denomination?

When I go to the US and pay with canadian dollars you can bet they are giving me back change in US dolars and not in canadian funds! :D:D (ya, what's up with that? :D)

You quoted what she said but did you actually read it through? She said this was at a place where all the tourists were paying in US $ and gave an example of someone paying with $5 US, then the next person getting $5 Canadian as change with the vendor saying they had no US $. In that situation, there's no need for a "special stash" and is a bit curious.

Canada is on strike!

Our Postal Service Nationwide was on strike until last Tuesday (06-28) when they were legislated back to work by the Government of Canada.

As for Canadian Funds vs US Funds...Unlike the US, we accept payment for goods or food etc in US currency, but your change will be in Canadian.

When we travel to the US, we exchange our Canadian Funds at a Canadian bank before travelling. There is usually a fee imposed by the bank, and depending on the exchange rate, it sometimes costs us $ to buy US $...at the moment, our dollar is stronger than the US $, therefore making it more enticing to shop and travel in the US. :)

Enjoy your trip.

Most merchants will accept US$ but for sure in the recent past it was illegal but they would take the chance. And may still be illegal. Although some post exchange rates.

I can't imagine you getting change in US$.

Or expecting to actually. Try C$ in the states outside of a few border towns and let us know how it works out for you. Esp after you already ate and say you have nothing else. I'd like to be there to watch. Probably be even more exciting than a dress code thread.

I do recall years ago a US customer really giving a restaurant manager heck for not taking his money. Even when the guy said legally he wasn't supposed to. Not one of the better ambassadors.

It has never been illegal to accept US dollars in Canada.

You quoted what she said but did you actually read it through? She said this was at a place where all the tourists were paying in US $ and gave an example of someone paying with $5 US, then the next person getting $5 Canadian as change with the vendor saying they had no US $. In that situation, there's no need for a "special stash" and is a bit curious.

Yes it makes perfect sense. When keying in the amount of the tender that it is in US funds, the register calculates the exchange rate in Canadian and provides the change in Canadian. Same thing if I took my Canadian money to the US. I will get change back in US funds, not Canadian.Merchants are not banks. Since the rate changes by the minute, banks will always have the most updated exchange. Merchants do not have access to that and as the other poster mentioned, merchants do not have different currencies on hand to provide change. As well the registers are not programmed to convert from US funds, to Canadian and then back to US funds.

The OP asked about fees. Fees can change almost from moment to moment. The exchange rate on foreign currency also changes from moment to moment. We generally use a CapitalOne (US) credit card and withdraw a small amount of cash daily when we are in any foreign city (even those on the border with the US), to spend in that city. The CapOne account we have does not charge any fees (but we still have to pay whatever fee the ATM charges, just as we do in the US).

I don't think it is at all weird that a merchant would give you change in their local currency .. even if they've been handed what would be your exact change in the previous transaction! I'm sure that at the end of the day they'll sort out all the foreign (to them!) currency they've received, take that to the bank, get it exchanged for their local currency, then balance their books. They're not going to try to do that on the spot with a line full of customers!

You also have to consider the way the cash register would work. The register "may" be able to convert US$ to CAD for the sale but may not be able to do the reverse given this would be a very rare thing to have to do given they would not "stock" the register with the many variations of foreign money. Would you expect if there were a full line of customers paying in YEN that by the 5th person paying that way the cashier would have enough YEN to give change to that one person in YEN? How confusing would that be to calculate in the register, and how fun it would be to balance your till at the end of the day.

My guess is the register and the staff calculate change in CAD given it is the local currency and I don't find anything curious about that. Makes perfect sense to me. I don't think they do it to make a penny off the foreign money? :confused:

My experience in St. John and Halifax was good. I would pay in $USD and got change in Canadian with the exchange rate factored in. I spent most of the change for small purchases like drinks in port, etc. The stores would give you a fair exchange rate. Even if it was a little in favor of the merchant, it beats having to go through the exchange process at banks.

It's really simple. US money is not legal tender in Canada. The merchant is doing you a favor, just be accepting it. They must take it to the bank, and exchange it, thus incurring a fee. Exchanging it back in forth when it is not legal tender, makes it illegal. A Canadian citizen, can not use the money in a legal transaction, thus why it is illegal to give back US money. Money is not international, but only good in the country issued (except the Euro). Use small bills or a credit card and accept different countries have laws, and that we don't have to understand it, just accept it.

Archived