Lost my passport the day before we sail :(

jennygirlmt

Consider the electronic copy options. You can save it on a smart phone, flash drive, or any number of the online document storage services. Even email it to yourself- something that would allow you get the file online and print it out.

Excellent idea :)

Okay, I guess I was focused too much on the OP's situation where she needed something to allow her to board the ship before it sailed. A copy of one's passport would help if stranded in a port without the passport itself. I think the next time I cruise I'll just bring my filing cabinet with me:eek:;).

Haha. By the way, what is this enhanced driver's license everyone is talking about?

Haha. By the way, what is this enhanced driver's license everyone is talking about?

Residents in some border states have the option of getting them. Esstentially you provide the same docs you would for a passport and your drivers license will then verify your citizenship so you may use it at land border crossings and on closed loop cruises (and like the passport card it cannot be used for international flights).

I'll take it one further for you. How about putting scans of the documents in your Dropbox? For those that don't know, Dropbox is a cloud-based file storage service that gives you a bunch of storage for free. You can access it on the web and also through desktop applications, iphone/ipad apps, and droid apps. Once you put a file in your drop box you can access it from any device, even the computer terminal at the NCL check-in desk if needed! All you need is a login and password, and it's all FREE.

I have the free dropbox app on my computer, iphone and ipad. If I drop a file into it from any source (like my PC) I can almost immediately access that file from my mobile devices or any PC. The video they show on their main page is exactly what we're talking about. LOL

http://www.dropbox.com/

Thanks for the advice and link Mike. I'm going to look into this one.

Residents in some border states have the option of getting them. Esstentially you provide the same docs you would for a passport and your drivers license will then verify your citizenship so you may use it at land border crossings and on closed loop cruises (and like the passport card it cannot be used for international flights).

only 4 states have opted to issue one...

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_edl.html

Its a pain to get it. They wanted my original ss card. I only have the second half from when I got mine sometime ago and in NYC(Brooklyn) they won't mail you a new one you have to go to one service center which has lines a mail long....worse than the DMV!

only 4 states have opted to issue one...

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_edl.html

Its a pain to get it. They wanted my original ss card. I only have the second half from when I got mine sometime ago and in NYC(Brooklyn) they won't mail you a new one you have to go to one service center which has lines a mail long....worse than the DMV!

I hadn't really paid attention and didn't know that only 4 states had opted in. I know that when Vermont first started with them you could only get them from DMV HQ in the capitol (not as long as a drive as to Albany but still a pain). Now they are refining the process and offering them at more DMV locations around the state.

This thread is actually very interesting. Lots of information; things to think about.

And, I keep waiting "to hear the rest of the story."

I don't think we are going to hear it. I'm beginning to wonder.

However, it has brought out very interesting information. My passport was once left on the copier. And Chris dropped hers on the deck when we were disembarking. Luckily an employee called out and gave it back to her.

OP is pretty sure she left the passport on the plane (as if she can see herself sticking it in the magazine pocket of the seat in front of her? I did that once with a pair of new prescription glasses and never retrieved them!). It will be good to hear from her to find out what really did happen, if she found it, or if she had a busy day getting a replacement etc.

The thing that would worry me most (after being denied entry to the ship!!!) would be that the passport would be found by someone unscrupulous and kept for illegal purposes (sort of an identity theft situation). All I know, from having had two babies in foreign countries was that the embassies there (Spain and Guatemala) told us to guard the children's passports as we would our lives, that they were that valuable to a foreigner who knew their value.

When my first husband was killed in a plane crash in Guatemala one of the first things I did was to get his passport canceled at the embassy so that no crime could be committed in his name if it fell into the wrong hands!

Yes, of course 99% of people who found a wallet, a passport, a prescription bottle etc. would try to find the owner. It's the other 1% I am hoping OP did not have to contend with.

Well the OP is due to disembark today so hopefully we will hear how it all worked out.

I keep feeling that she might have found it amongst her bags contents. I mean would you post if after all the fuss it was tucked away in a pocket... Would be kind of embarrassing..

:confused:

Well the OP is due to disembark today so hopefully we will hear how it all worked out.

I keep feeling that she might have found it amongst her bags contents. I mean would you post if after all the fuss it was tucked away in a pocket... Would be kind of embarrassing..

:confused:

I don't think she'd be too embarrassed to come back. I think she knows we're all pulling for her.

Here's hoping she hasn't come back yet because she was on-board.

And, of course, there is the more dire possibility. She might have been denied boarding last week, and consequently has been so depressed that she can not get herself to log onto CC again.

Gosh, and here I thought I was a "half full" sort of guy.:D

Bill

We stayed in the same hotel as the op...did not meet her but heard from the conciere the hotel was doing everything they could, but I don't know what ended up happening...

Would the hotel volunteer any information if asked?

Archived