Lost my passport the day before we sail :(

jennygirlmt

It always amazes me all the conflicting information that gets posted. You have no idea who is right, who is interpreting things wrong or whatever.

I guess the bottom line is you should check with some OFFICIAL source.

I'm sure the posters aren't being malicious, just misinformed.

And this is directed at no one in particular.

It always amazes me all the conflicting information that gets posted. You have no idea who is right, who is interpreting things wrong or whatever.

I guess the bottom line is you should check with some OFFICIAL source.

I'm sure the posters aren't being malicious, just misinformed.

And this is directed at no one in particular.

That's why in my post I gave links to the Canadian Border Services Agency Web site, and cited the number of the governing US regulation. You can Google that regulation exactly as cited and get a link to the Federal Register. Alternatively, here's the Department of Homeland Security's page that explains the regulation:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

A big problem arises from the US Department of State (which is where the poster probably got their information) having incorrect/incomplete information on its Web site. State is not the correct department or agency to quote, as State is not responsible for US border security. The Department of Homeland Security controls the border and makes and enforces the regulations governing entry requirements to the US. You should always turn to DHS for the regulations.

Virtually every cruise line has a passport requirement FAQ on its site that will verify the information.

I always travel with my passport, but I also always bring my driver's license and my birth certificate with me as well since (for the time being anyway) those are also accepted for Americans doing closed-loop cruises beginning and ending from the same US port.

When DW and I got our passport books, we also got the passport cards, and what we do is carry each other's card. We have passport wallets designed to carry both forms, so I carry my book and DW's card, she carries her book and my card. That way, if either of us forgets/loses/has stolen their passport wallet on the way to the ship, the other has sufficient documentation for both of us to still take a US-based closed-loop cruise, which most of ours are. Once we get on the ship, the cards go into the safe and don't come out again until the cruise is over, as insurance that we can get back into the US, since that's all the cards are really good for anyway.

And to the OP, hope you were able to get on the ship and have a great cruise!

That's not correct. Canada itself doesn't require a passport, and you can take a closed loop cruise leaving from the US that makes a port call in Canada under the same closed loop cruise exception to the passport requirement that governs cruises to other destinations in the Western Hemisphere.

Canadian requirements:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html#s1

If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification.

The US regulation is 22 CFR § 53.2 (b)(2) which reads as follows:

Quote:

Exceptions.

(b) A U.S. citizen is not required to bear a valid U.S. passport to enter or depart the United States:

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

I stand corrected I was looking at another dept. Thanks for the clarification. They should make this a sticky.

Exactly! I'm sure if she were unable to sail, she'd be posting...

Those are my thoughts too! I feel, after lots of unbearable stress (& a few tears) she is now enjoying her family cruise! Although....we all want to hear the OFFICIAL confirmation that she made it!

When DW and I got our passport books, we also got the passport cards, and what we do is carry each other's card. We have passport wallets designed to carry both forms, so I carry my book and DW's card, she carries her book and my card. That way, if either of us forgets/loses/has stolen their passport wallet on the way to the ship, the other has sufficient documentation for both of us to still take a US-based closed-loop cruise, which most of ours are. Once we get on the ship, the cards go into the safe and don't come out again until the cruise is over, as insurance that we can get back into the US, since that's all the cards are really good for anyway.

And to the OP, hope you were able to get on the ship and have a great cruise!

How did you get passport cards? I have never heard of them.

Thanks

I keep coming back for an update...I subscribe to the old adage, no news is good news....I hope Jennygirl is sitting there, staring out at the blue ocean with a pina colada, a bucket of beer, and a margarita with a batch of those wings from the Blue Lagoon that I keep hearing about...and her biggest decision of the day is, which drink to enjoy first. :D

Under such considerable stress the OP has found time and calm mind to report in detail the situation that has occurred. Not sure I could have managed to deal with posting on CC whilst under such stress, let alone balancing baby and backpack.

Now cruise has started has not found time to let us following this thread know one way or other what was the outcome of this horrible situation.

Just wondering.

The first thing I would have done in this situation was call NCL, then my TA, but at one a.m. and stressing out, I would have found my way back to CruiseCritic. There is so much combined information, help, assistance, and yes, support, from this group, and while this part of the world was asleep at one a.m., she came here to obtain a plan of attack once the phones opened in the morning. Let us not burn her at the stake, whilst her ship is at sea.:D

Under such considerable stress the OP has found time and calm mind to report in detail the situation that has occurred. Not sure I could have managed to deal with posting on CC whilst under such stress, let alone balancing baby and backpack.

Now cruise has started has not found time to let us following this thread know one way or other what was the outcome of this horrible situation.

Just wondering.

The suspense is killing me!

Yesterday, my husband drove off with our daughters car keys in his pocket. He was mad at himself when he had to turn around and drive 20 miles back just to give her the keys. Could be worse I explained, you could be about to get on a cruise and lose your passport.

We agreed that this would be very stressful and laughed about the keys.

I love the idea of one carrying the passport and card of the other, I think we will do this. We recently remodeled our downstairs and I moved our passports, well I just moved them back this minute!

I am sure OP is having a great time and has forgotten all about us waiting for her to repost. I agree with the others, if she didn't make it on board we would have heard something by now.

Same way you get the passport - it's $30 extra.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

I travel alone a lot of the time but going to get this passport card to have in a separate bag just in case something happens to my passport. Worth the extra $30. Does it expire the same time as your passport? If that's the case might just wait to get it in 2014 to maximize the ROI.

Do note: the passport card is only for entering (specific/limited) countries by land or sea. It would be good for "some" cruises, but not European etc...

The following is from the US STATE DEPT:

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

For future reference, you should always travel with the following telephone numbers with you:

1) U.S. State Dept. in Wash DC - they issue the passports, they can help you in an emergency. 1-202-663-2654, 1-202-501-4444, 1-888-407-4747.

The State Dept. also has a Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) where you can register all of your information when you are traveling out of the country, so should an emergency arise, they have your itinerary, how to reach you, your passport number, emergency contacts in the U.S., etc. You can register on their website.

2) U.S. Office of American Citizens Services - Washington, DC -1-202-647-5225, 1-202-647-5226 - also provides emergency services to U.S. citizens.

3) Both of your state's U.S. Senators phone numbers - they have local offices in your state and offices in D.C. Their number one priority is constituent services, especially in election years. They can help you get a new passport in as little as 3 days. You fed ex everything to them in Washington, DC, they walk your passport application through the State Dept. and then Fed Ex it to you.

I always make it a point of traveling with several photocopies of my passport and driver's license and an original copy of my birth certificate too.

I hope the OP made it on the ship. I think NO news is GOOD news!

Thank you so much for this information. It could be very very helpful if you are in need of help during your travels.

Jo Anne

Allow me to add this.

A few years ago we were going to the Mexican Riviera on RCI out of Long Beach, and like an idiot I forgot our passports. I didn't have time to drive back to San Diego and still make the ship. We were in a panic, but we were able to have our neighbor break into our house, fax copies of each passport to the service desk at the terminal, and got a very helpful RCI representative to notarize each copy. We were allowed on the ship.

When everything seems to be a mess, ask for help from the cruiseline on site. They will do what they can to get you on the ship.

Do note: the passport card is only for entering (specific/limited) countries by land or sea. It would be good for "some" cruises, but not European etc...

The following is from the US STATE DEPT:

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Granted, but in the OP's case having the passport card would have saved the day and prevented a lot of worry. I used to believe that people who obtained both a passport and a passport card were needlessly wasting their money, but now I see the sense of it (as long as both documents are carried and in different places, of course).

Archived