Lost my passport the day before we sail :(

jennygirlmt

Thats not always true. I live in FL and I just renewed my DL online a few weeks ago. I didn't have to do anything but click the button to renew it and provide CC information for the payment. They sent me the new one a few days later. It surprised me, but they just used the same picture I had on the DL when it was made the last time. Its kind of scary what they let you do online these days.

You are right BUT when you get your new drivers licence in the mail you will not have that little gold star on it. That star mean the new enhance security feature, This is why you need so so much proof of who you are when you go in person. I too live in Florida and can renew online but it won't have the new feature which I am told will be used to screen passengers when traveling by air in the future.

It's not just Florida...NJ has the same procedures. It's not the state's doing...it's the state complying with Federal regulations for the issuance of drivers licenses under the Real ID Act of 2005. Over the next couple of years you'll see more and more states following similar procedures.

South Carolina is refusing to comply with this program unless the people who mandated it (Washington) foot the bill. Meanwhile it is absurd that a passport would not be sufficient ID, considering what you go through to get one...

I love that you all saw me come back on :-) Last night while I was rocking DD to sleep I browsed CC on my itouch, like I have for the past few months, not sure what I'll do now! I guess it's time to make her sleep through the night :-)

Obviously since I haven't been on for a week, you hopefully rightly assumed that I got on the ship. I thought about coming back with a great story (read that as lie), that I went to the airport at 6am, they opened the lost and found and there was my passport! But I can't lie, so I will sheepishly update you that it was in my suitcase the whole time.

I didn't sleep that night and at 6am, DH and I dropped DD off with my inlaws (I was sobbing) and we took the light rail to the airport where they pulled out other people's passports, just not mine (She also had tons of psps, ipods, phones and ipads!). I then proceeded to bawl in the airport before DH hauled me back to the hotel. We decided it was time to dissect the luggage one more time. So DH took my back pack ("the" carryon culprit) and I did DD's suitcase (also a carryon). No luck. Then I said "Should we even bother with the suitcase that was checked?" Of course. So I opened it up and began pulling things out when SIL said "Is this it?" WHAT?! It was in the mesh flap of the lid behind the shoe organizer (damn shoe organizer! but it was great for keeping our little items at hand). So I did the happy dance, attacked SIL with big hugs, which DD joined in on after wondering what the heck was wrong with Mommy. My stomach immediately felt better so we went down and ate a big breakfast at the hotel to celebrate. I guess I was so exhausted that I didn't remember putting it away and when we got to the hotel and everyone went to their rooms, all I could think was "I wish DH was here." So I guess at some point between giving DD a bath and taking a nap, I moved my passport to my suitcase, which I did check, just not well enough I guess.

After going through embarkation DH said "My gosh there was no way you were getting on that ship without a passport or original birth certificate." Who knows, I'm just glad we didn't have to worry about it. I felt like an idiot the rest of the trip, but it didn't matter. Because we had the most spectacular cruise! I'm halfway through a review. I planned to write daily while DD was napping...but MIL bought the ladies spa thermal suite passes, so I spa'ed instead :-)

I'll read through all the replies eventually! Thanks for everyone's advice and thoughts!

With a DD who is not sleeping through the night you are sleep-deprived, which would account for the temporary amnesia! SO GLAD you had a great cruise!!

I've been thinking about Jenny all this past week. So glad it turned out OK. I even told my mother about Jenny's problem after I read her original post. My mother is 89 and doesn't own a computer. She's asked me several times since if there was any news. I'm glad the family enjoyed the cruise.

I love that you all saw me come back on :-) Last night while I was rocking DD to sleep I browsed CC on my itouch, like I have for the past few months, not sure what I'll do now! I guess it's time to make her sleep through the night :-)

Obviously since I haven't been on for a week, you hopefully rightly assumed that I got on the ship. I thought about coming back with a great story (read that as lie), that I went to the airport at 6am, they opened the lost and found and there was my passport! But I can't lie, so I will sheepishly update you that it was in my suitcase the whole time.

I didn't sleep that night and at 6am, DH and I dropped DD off with my inlaws (I was sobbing) and we took the light rail to the airport where they pulled out other people's passports, just not mine (She also had tons of psps, ipods, phones and ipads!). I then proceeded to bawl in the airport before DH hauled me back to the hotel. We decided it was time to dissect the luggage one more time. So DH took my back pack ("the" carryon culprit) and I did DD's suitcase (also a carryon). No luck. Then I said "Should we even bother with the suitcase that was checked?" Of course. So I opened it up and began pulling things out when SIL said "Is this it?" WHAT?! It was in the mesh flap of the lid behind the shoe organizer (damn shoe organizer! but it was great for keeping our little items at hand). So I did the happy dance, attacked SIL with big hugs, which DD joined in on after wondering what the heck was wrong with Mommy. My stomach immediately felt better so we went down and ate a big breakfast at the hotel to celebrate. I guess I was so exhausted that I didn't remember putting it away and when we got to the hotel and everyone went to their rooms, all I could think was "I wish DH was here." So I guess at some point between giving DD a bath and taking a nap, I moved my passport to my suitcase, which I did check, just not well enough I guess.

After going through embarkation DH said "My gosh there was no way you were getting on that ship without a passport or original birth certificate." Who knows, I'm just glad we didn't have to worry about it. I felt like an idiot the rest of the trip, but it didn't matter. Because we had the most spectacular cruise! I'm halfway through a review. I planned to write daily while DD was napping...but MIL bought the ladies spa thermal suite passes, so I spa'ed instead :-)

I'll read through all the replies eventually! Thanks for everyone's advice and thoughts!

and how wonderful you found it. I though hubby had problems when he lost a key the other day to a home where he was taking care of their cats: that's nothing compared to you: and BTW, he too found his key..

I am so glad you had a wonderful cruise.

Nita

If you remember having walking down the jetway, onto the plane.....I'm still saying there is hope you accidentally put it in the wrong bag. Check and recheck every pocket and compartment of your suitcase/backpack/pockets/ diaper bag etc.

Also, are you traveling with someone? Maybe he took it and put it somewhere "temporarily". If such a person exists, have him check all his pockets.

I once had a customer screaming at me...because she was sure I didn't return her credit card to her. She always put it...somewhere...and it wasn't there. I told her to check her coat pocket....and sure enough....there it was.

I hope I'm right.........

I told you so........... :)

So sorry you had to go thru all that panic,but so happy you made it!

You're predicament made us all rethink our own procedures and there were some very good ideas on backing up info for easier retrieval.

Can't wait to read your review,give the baby a big kiss from us.

I didn't have anything constructive to add last week, but I can add my smiles that it all worked out. I had figured you made the ship when you were not on line all week, but then, you could have been institutionalized, :D:rolleyes: if you didn't get aboard. Looking forward to your review.

Al

Yeah!!!! I have been following this thread since that fateful day and like everyone else, I've been hoping that you would return. Thank you so much for coming back to CC and filling us in on the good, no great, news:D

Can't wait for the review now!

I am so glad that you found your passport and got to go on your cruise. That would be a horrible feeling.

In this past couple of months, I have 'lost' a credit card and prescription sunglasses, and replaced both, thinking somehow, they must have fallen out of my unzipped purse.

I found both. The credit card was behind my business cards in a pocket in my purse. The prescription sunglasses were in a different purse that I had changed to briefly for a few days.

And I had searched EVERYWHERE for both.

I am so glad you found your passport and had a great cruise.

Last week I misplaced a credit card and my drivers liscense and they were the last place that I looked. They were in the outside garbage can. OMG, it was so nasty that I took a nice long hot shower.

Yes, you can order the card at any time after getting the book using Form DS-82. Just know that when you renew your book, they will require you to also send in a card if you have one. I wish they allowed each to have their own separate schedule so that one could have the card while renewing the book and vice versa, but I can understand that it's probably a lot easier for them if they don't.

So does this mean that you can get the passcard now but it will expire at the same time as your passport?

YEAYYYYY!!!!! :D

And I knew it was there the whole time - know why - because you are a mom and those kids make us lose our minds. ;)

I once lost over a thousand dollars in CASH on my way to a cruise. I "lost" it in the pre-cruise hotel. We ripped the room apart. I had it when the delivery driver came to the room with the pizza - then it was gone. :eek:

We were almost late getting to the airport because we were trying to find the money. We barely made the flight. We made it -- flew to Miami. Stayed in ANOTHER hotel for another night. We got onboard the ship in Miami. I was hanging our coats up and guess what I found -- the bank envelope in the BABY's coat. :eek: In the rush to get the door in the first hotel (for the pizza delivery guy), I shoved the money in the BABY's Coat - not mine. :rolleyes:

The kicker -- the baby had been carrying all that money for 3 days. :o

Very happy that it all worked out for you. I suspected as much when you didn't come back upset that the ship sailed without you.

Believe me, I think we've all been there, looking frantically for something and in that panic not actually seeing anything.

I look forward to your review & welcome home.

YEAYYYYY!!!!! :D

And I knew it was there the whole time - know why - because you are a mom and those kids make us lose our minds. ;)

I once lost over a thousand dollars in CASH on my way to a cruise. I "lost" it in the pre-cruise hotel. We ripped the room apart. I had it when the delivery driver came to the room with the pizza - then it was gone. :eek:

We were almost late getting to the airport because we were trying to find the money. We barely made the flight. We made it -- flew to Miami. Stayed in ANOTHER hotel for another night. We got onboard the ship in Miami. I was hanging our coats up and guess what I found -- the bank envelope in the BABY's coat. :eek: In the rush to get the door in the first hotel (for the pizza delivery guy), I shoved the money in the BABY's Coat - not mine. :rolleyes:

The kicker -- the baby had been carrying all that money for 3 days. :o

Are you SURE the baby didn't take the money??

Archived