Lost my passport the day before we sail :(

jennygirlmt

"Copy" does not mean "photocopy". DHS requires a copy issued by the appropriate government agency, with either a raised seal or issued on specially marked paper identifying the document as being genuine.

As I said, my kids have crossed the border into Canada on school trips with a photo copy of their birth certificates on plain white paper and the requirements are the same as for a closed loop cruise.

In any event, in this instance I would rather show up at the port with that than with nothing at all (after making every effort to re-attain my passport or getting something from the State Dept).

(But if what you say is so, why doesn't the getyouhome.gov website say "certified copy" instead of copy? Surely the government understands the difference.)

Oh I feel so bad for you! I hope that you find it soon! It's so difficult traveling with little ones and you never have enough hands to do everything. I remember those days well. I left a telephoto lens in the seatback on a plane once when traveling by myself with 2 young boys. Didn't realize that it was missing, or where I left it, until it was way too late to contact the airline. At least it wasn't one of the kids!

Fingers and toes crossed for you!

As I said, my kids have crossed the border into Canada on school trips with a photo copy of their birth certificates on plain white paper and the requirements are the same as for a closed loop cruise.

In any event, in this instance I would rather show up at the port with that than with nothing at all (after making every effort to re-attain my passport or getting something from the State Dept).

(But if what you say is so, why doesn't the getyouhome.gov website say "certified copy" instead of copy? Surely the government understands the difference.)

Unfortunately there have been reports on Cruise Critic of passengers being turned away because they had a photocopy, rather than an official agency-issued copy of their birth certificate. It's not unlikely that DHS is a little more lenient with kids on a school bus trip than they are with adult cruise passengers.

I agree it's better to show up with something. I just wouldn't want to pin my hopes on it.

As for "surely the government understands the difference"...I often wonder how much the government understands about anything...and in any event rules are often written imprecisely and interpreted rather than taken literally. Another example of interpretation from the same regulation is that DHS does not permit hospital-issued birth certificates, only government-issued birth certificates, yet the regulation says "birth certificate" without specifying that it has to be government-issued.

I was scheduled for a mexican riviera cruise out of la. I left my passport in the safe at home - 450 miles away. It had just totally slipped my mind.

We were at the NCL check-in when I realized my mistake. I started crying and was very upset. NCL supervisor spoke with the port officials and they allowed a neighbor to fax a copy of our birth certificates to the port. The port official questioned us about our lives. where we had lived, where we were born, size of our current town, etc. after 10 minutes of questioning they allowed us on the ship.

to the OP, i'm sorry for your situation, it could have happened to anyone so dont beat yourself up! at the very least you may have prevented this happening from those of us that read your post -- when we are handing our passports we'll remember this thread and be extra careful!

i am thinking of you and hoping somehow this all turns out ok for you. if appropriate... St. Anthony almost always comes thru for me when I need him the most and i'm not exactly a church-goer (Saint of lost items!).

You have some ID on you as you spoke about using that instead of your passport.

Get everyone you can to fax to NCL head office any other ID they can get their hands on.

Call NCL and explain your situation and ask them what they need to see for you to board. NCL will want you to be able to board and will be helpful.

I'm not an American so I don't know how your system works over there but in the UK we can get a person of professional standing to confirm identify. Is there a clergyman or mayor or solicitor who personally knows you who would be willing to confirm your identity? A police officer? Although I appreciate you will not be in your home town with email and photos surely that would help.

My thinking is that if NCL can feel that you have confirmed your identity you will be able to board.

Sending you (((((((hugs))))))) you must be feeling awful.

Lets hope that someone with some other brighter ideas can contribute and that those with nothing helpful to say don't add further to your distress.

Keep positive....

Emma

x

Oh my gosh... I am just sick for you, too!!! You have a lot of people hoping it will be found and you'll soon be on your way!

Wishing for words of wisdom, but I have none...

Please let us know how this turns out.

That is gloomy I can imagine that stomach dropping feeling, although ronheg seems to have lived through something similar with a positive outcome.

Have you phone your Travel Agent who can also back you up with NCL?

We flew to Seattle yesterday and I just realized that I left my passport on the plane. I know, why didn't I use my license? Why did I think I needed ID to board the plane? I was juggling my rolling suitcase, a backpack and a baby, couldn't get it in my bag and figured I would put it in when I sat down. I apparently did not. I am shaking and terrified. I've called everyone I can at USAirways and the airport considering it was 11pm on a Sat night. We are getting up early to go to the airport to see if anyone found it. It could be as easy as getting it from the lost and found but I'm terrified at the thought that it might not have been discovered when the plane was still in Seattle...what if it is somewhere else. Do they scan your passport at the pier? If they have my passport number from my online reservation and my ID can I beg and plead to be let on? I'll promise not to get off the boat in Victoria (a feeble attempt at humor to keep myself from going off the deep end).

I need to be sleeping but I keep dry-heaving in the bathroom...I've spent so much time looking forward to this and my mother in law is treating us to this very special gift and now I've ruined it....I can't believe I did this, it is so unlike me....

I'm so so sorry for you and certainly understand how upset you are.

Please take a few deep breaths and do a search through all your things. Look in magazines, books, pockets, clothing, everything.

While in a panic it's very easy to overlook that small book. Try to take your time and spread everything out if you can and shake everything out.

I truly hope it just fell between something and it turns up. Best of luck to you and let us know the outcome.

Crossing my fingers, eyes, toes, sending prayers, good vibes that you are able to find your passport or at least be allowed to board with a copy of your BC. My stomach actually turned when I read this post. At least you have a little more time since you checked in early for NCL. Anxiously awaiting good news

On one of our cruises when we were checking in, we discovered that the DW had misplaced her identification. It was horrible trying to work out what to do. Fortunately, to exhaust all possiblities, a tenancious supervisor had the workers go search through the passenger bags to find the one belonging to DW - and that is where her documentation was. Without thinking she had put it in the checked luggage with some other things when we got it from the airport and had no recollection of doing it. The ordeal took hours and we went from being one of the first to board to being one of the last to board the ship - God Bless that supervisor.

I understand what you are going through a little and I add my hopes that your case works out.

Today is the sailing date....so hopefully "no news" means they are heavily involved in working out a solution and no time for posting! If OP doesn't post soon, I will feel she made it "somehow" on the boat! (keeping fingers crossed)

We flew to Seattle yesterday and I just realized that I left my passport on the plane. I know, why didn't I use my license? Why did I think I needed ID to board the plane? I was juggling my rolling suitcase, a backpack and a baby, couldn't get it in my bag and figured I would put it in when I sat down. I apparently did not. I am shaking and terrified. I've called everyone I can at USAirways and the airport considering it was 11pm on a Sat night. We are getting up early to go to the airport to see if anyone found it. It could be as easy as getting it from the lost and found but I'm terrified at the thought that it might not have been discovered when the plane was still in Seattle...what if it is somewhere else. Do they scan your passport at the pier? If they have my passport number from my online reservation and my ID can I beg and plead to be let on? I'll promise not to get off the boat in Victoria (a feeble attempt at humor to keep myself from going off the deep end).

I need to be sleeping but I keep dry-heaving in the bathroom...I've spent so much time looking forward to this and my mother in law is treating us to this very special gift and now I've ruined it....I can't believe I did this, it is so unlike me....

Do you have other ID with you? I always travel with my passport, but I also always bring my driver's license and my birth certificate with me as well since (for the time being anyway) those are also accepted for Americans doing closed-loop cruises beginning and ending from the same US port. If you don't have youir BC, perhaps someone from home can fax it to you.

Archived