Panama Canal - West to East Coast - Port or Starboard?

DaveOKC

When we have gone from the west coast to the east coast -- I always get a starboard cabin. Lots to see there. On the port side you will see a lot of construction of the new sections of the canal. On the starboard side you will get to see the building where the Miraflores Locks is -- sometimes there are people standing out there. You may even get a glimpse of the train that goes between the coasts.

We have been lucky that we always ended up on the left side of the locks to go through them.

Since no one can predict whether the ship will be given the left or right locks, there's no way to tell which will be the better side. IMO you should be out at the front of the ship and not on your veranda when going through locks anyway.

I am looking at booking a Panama Canal cruise from the West Coast to FLL in the Fall. Which side of the ship (port or starboard) should I chose and why?

DaveOKC

Well, I always choose an interior stateroom on the starboard side! You should choose the same stateroom category because it is less expensive and cooler! Then, when one wants to enjoy the view, just proceed to an outside deck, (on either side), or on the bow! :)

Well, I always choose an interior stateroom on the starboard side! You should choose the same stateroom category because it is less expensive and cooler! Then, when one wants to enjoy the view, just proceed to an outside deck, (on either side), or on the bow! :)
If your in a interior room what difference does a port or starboard cabin make?

If you're outside, it doesn't matter because you can move from port to starboard any time you want, and the scenery is all around you. Friends of ours had a starboard verandah and thought they'd watch our transit from there - we soon found them beside us on the bow because the view was so much better.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If your in a interior room what difference does a port or starboard cabin make?

It's because one side is cooler then the other:D;). I've had inside rooms that were warm so that comment doesn't make much sense to me anyway.

OK - thanks for the responses so far. One more thing, is port or starboard better for the rest of the cruise (not counting the P.C.)? Port will give us views of the coast (Vancouver to the Canal) while starboard will provide sunsets. Am I correct on this or am I missing something here?

DaveOKC

OK - thanks for the responses so far. One more thing, is port or starboard better for the rest of the cruise (not counting the P.C.)? Port will give us views of the coast (Vancouver to the Canal) while starboard will provide sunsets. Am I correct on this or am I missing something here?

DaveOKC

We'll be leaving Vancouver on Sept.25th for Florida and have booked port side. When we came from Florida we were starboard. I'm not fussy either way, as long as I'm on board I'm happy but my husband likes to have views of passing coastlines. He also keeps a close eye on docking procedures...LOL..he seems to feel he's helping :)

We'll be leaving Vancouver on Sept.25th for Florida and have booked port side. When we came from Florida we were starboard. I'm not fussy either way, as long as I'm on board I'm happy but my husband likes to have views of passing coastlines. He also keeps a close eye on docking procedures...LOL..he seems to feel he's helping :)

Were you actually able to see much of the coastline?

DaveOKC

AFT Veranda! See it all from your veranda. And you can always go to the bow if you feel it necessary.

When we did our transit from West Coast to East we took a small boat cruise through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks the day prior to our transit. It was incredible to see the locks from down inside them and then the next day see them from the ship. On the small boat we were actually able to touch the walls of the locks and really feel the rising of the water to lift the boat to the next level. AWESOME!

Visit our blog of the Panama Canal trip from the link below.

This is a hard one. I've been through the Canal twice. On both cruises I had inside cabins -- J Category amidships on R-Class ships -- and found that I spent a HUGE amount of time going all over the ship while we processed through the locks and the canal and Lake Gatun. Indeed, I would have missed so MUCH had I just sat on a Verandah for the canal transit.

1. Entering the lock system -- going up from Ocean level through the locks to the Canal itself -- the best place to observe the operation is either from the forward bow or from the upper observation decks-forward.

2. Passing through the canal and through lake Gatun I found that the best place to get interesting views was from the upper sky and sports decks, as well as all around the lower promenade deck.

3. Entering the lock system -- going DOWN from the canal to Ocean Level -- the best place to observe the operation is EITHER the upper forward decks again -- makes for an interesting view at the beginning of the transit -- and then from the stern of the ship.

Indeed, there is much value to seeing it from both bow and stern going up into the canal system and then coming back down to the Ocean Level. It makes for going back-and-forth from one end of the ship to the other, but it's very MUCH worth it!

I will be doing the Canal again this December aboard the Zuiderdam and, this time, I have a aft-facing Verandah. I'm excited because it will give me a place to go and relax after running all over the ship during the entry phase of the day ... and the best time to observe canal operations from the stern of the ship is during the trip DOWN from lake/canal level to ocean level. It's especially interesting if you've got a big ship coming down in the lock system behind you!

I was on deck for almost the whole transit and yes, I did get a sunburn. I found a small deck just above the bridge that gave me a full 180+ degree view of the canal and there were few other pax there. Great views from either side of the ship. Ships crew did not serve panama rolls there, so I did have to go down to the bow to have one.

John

When you are going west to east you really are going south to north...however you may find a starboard cabin a bit warm in the afternoon, if that is a consideration for you. Other than that there are +/_ for either side and I am not really sure that one is better than the other.

Were you actually able to see much of the coastline?

DaveOKC

If it is fairly clear you will be able to see mountains waaaaay off in the distance. Not really close enough to really see anything. If there is some haze or cloudy, it wiil just look like the horizon. Pick the side of the ship as to your preferences for sunrise/set and things of that nature. At the Canal the best side is outside;)! Things don't happen real fast in the Canal and it is best to be in a position where you can place yourself to see whatever you are interested in

One thing to add to the above posts, during the actual transit of the canal, the aft area of the promenade deck is closed to passengers so that the crew can safely handle the ropes from the mules. So if you want to see what is going on in the back of the boat, get an aft cabin. Other than that particular reason, I don't think it makes a bit of difference which side you are on. There is no guarantee which lane of the locks you will be in and in port it is always the captain's or someone decision as to which side they dock on. When my DH and I did the canal we ran from side to side and top to bottom and front to middle to see it all. It is really cool to reach out and touch the sides of the locks - not sure that it recommended, but you can't do it from a verdanda, you have to be outside on the promenade to do that. Great cruise, you will enjoy it from anywhere on the ship.

Thanks for the advice, but would you mind saying why?

DaveOKC

As you enter the traffic pattern, on the west side you get a great view of Panama City. There is just more to see on the starboard side. The old American base, the canal offices with the viewing platform, and a much better view of Gatun Lake anchorage. I've been on both sides and I would much prefer the east side of the canal.

PS don't forget the Panama rolls for breakfast.

As you enter the traffic pattern, on the west side you get a great view of Panama City. There is just more to see on the starboard side. The old American base, the canal offices with the viewing platform, and a much better view of Gatun Lake anchorage. I've been on both sides and I would much prefer the east side of the canal.

PS don't forget the Panama rolls for breakfast.

I am confused (nothing new there). You said that the west side has the better view of Panama City and the base and that makes sense to me. But your last sentence says you perfer the East side of the canal? Is that a typo or am I missing something?

Thanks for all your help, I really want to get this cruise right.

DaveOKC

Like many others have said, the best way to really experience the Panama Canal is by being all over the ship, the bow, the stern, everywhere. Also try to go to a lower deck with large windows to watch the ship dropping down into a lock, it's fascinating to see the algae-covered walls just a couple of feet away. Another fun thing to watch is seeing a huge tanker going through at the same time, with only inches to spare on both sides of the lock and seeing it scrape the sides, sending up concrete dust plumes. Happens quite often.

And don't forget, you're very close to the equator, really cover up and slather on the sunblock or you'll get a major sunburn (at any time of the year!).

Archived