Juneau whale watching pics w/ bubble netting

Deb0702

A beautiful day for whale watching with Harv & Marv

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

I was little worried about seeing whales during low tide, but we saw lots & lots of whales.

In the background is a boat just like ours..

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

Smaller boats let you get down to whale level

IMG_0964.jpg

Really a gorgeous day!

IMG_1008a.jpg

More to come..

The water and sky was so blue

IMG_0425.jpg

Not easy to keep things in focus on a moving boat

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

When the gulls drop from the sky start snapping photos!

IMG_0975.jpg

Open wide!

IMG_0975a.jpg

IMG_0976d.jpg

We never dreamed we'd be so lucky to see bubble netting.. what an awesome sight!

Fantastic pictures! In the picture there the whales are all gathered close with there mouths open, is that what is referred to as "bubble netting" ?

Yes, exactly. Our captain said that this is the only place in the world where humpbacks do bubble netting. A group of whales get together and surround a school of fish (herring, I think) blowing bubbles and driving the fish into a tight ball. When the moment is right the leader signals and they all push to the surface with their mouths open taking in huge gulps of fish. The gulls see what is happening and follow the action. When the fish get close to the surface the gulls swoop down to join the feast. :)

Yes we did use telephoto lenses. Whale watchers are supposed to maintain a distance of 100 yards. At times we were certainly closer than that, and other times further away. :)

Yes we did use telephoto lenses. Whale watchers are supposed to maintain a distance of 100 yards. At times we were certainly closer than that, and other times further away. :)

Your photos are absolutely AMAZING! We were so fortunate to see bubble netting the day after you and had the same beautiful weather. It was such an amazing day. It made me sorry that I am not a photographer, as I dearly would have loved some pictures other than those I tried to take on my iPhone LOL -- but your pictures made me so happy so see:) THANK YOU!!!

Thanks, What size lens was it?

We were told about the 100 yards rule. I wasn't sure though if they came up close to you without the skipper knowing.

We spoke with one group that told us the whale came up right close to the boat and opened it's mouth wide. So close they could even smell the very bad breath they have. Now that's close.

Thanks, What size lens was it?

We were told about the 100 yards rule. I wasn't sure though if they came up close to you without the skipper knowing.

We spoke with one group that told us the whale came up right close to the boat and opened it's mouth wide. So close they could even smell the very bad breath they have. Now that's close.

We actually had 2 cameras going. One was a Canon t2i, the other was a Canon PowerShot. I can definitly see the difference in the quality of the photos. The telephoto lens was 75-300mm. We also talked to a group the day of our whale watch who were close enough to smell their bad breath.. they described the smell like pulp in a paper mill only worse, lol.

Your captain apparently has never been to Stellwagen Bank off Massachusetts. Here are photographs of the humback whales bubble net feeding there:

http://captainjohnboats.blogspot.com/2011/06/june-16-2011.html

Good to know.. I won't be repeating that factoid again! :)

These are blocked at my office, I am making a mental note to look at these from my personal computer!

yeah me too.....i hate that....all I see ar red X's...........

I hate it when work interferes with cruisecritic........the nerve of them........

Thank you for confirming my excursion! We leave in a couple weeks for our cruise to Alaska on the Carnival Spirit and hadn't decided which tour to do in Juneau. LOVE the photos of the whales and can't wait to snap a few myself.

Thanks for sharing!

Archived