Regular US Passport vs Passport card

odot12

Taking the kids on an upcoming Carnival Cruise over the Christmas break. All three, ages 17-11-6, have not been before cruising with us before so none currently have passports. Trying to decide between a full fledged passport vs the passport card. Seems the passport card may be the way to go as we don't do much international travel other than Canada and the occasional cruise. Any advice? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

The passport card will do absolutely nothing for you should you need to fly back to the US. It was designed mainly for land border crossings from specific states. Get the passport books or just continue to use your birth certificates and picture ids. The card provides nothing above that.

To be honest, the passport card is really worthless, and not much better than a birth certificate. For example, if you have to fly home in an emergency, only a passport is accepted. Heck, I even had a TSA agent refuse to accept the passport card as an ID. While he was misinformed, all it takes is one bozo to mess up your trip. A passport is a better choice.

Passport cards are only meant to be used for LAND crossings between the US/Canada and the US/Mexico. If you are on a close loop cruise (leaving from and returning to from the SAME US port) then the certified birth certificate and photo ID is ok. Any other type of international travel demands a passport.

I would go with the passport. Please keep in mind that even if you do a closed loop cruise where your cruise begins and returns to the USA should there be a need to fly back home and you are in a non-USA based location you would need the passport. I just think it's worth the extra dollars to get the passport.

Keith

Take the money you would have spent on three passport cards and buy one kid a passport - the oldest, as his/her passport will be good for 10 years. Next time, get another one the passport. And so on. EM

Take the money you would have spent on three passport cards and buy one kid a passport - the oldest, as his/her passport will be good for 10 years. Next time, get another one the passport. And so on. EM

FYI: Minors can only get a passport for 5 years until they are 18.

FYI: Minors can only get a passport for 5 years until they are 18.

That's incorrect. Adult passports good for 10 years are issued to those over age 16.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.

That's incorrect. Adult passports good for 10 years are issued to those over age 16.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.

I was under the impression that these were children. Re-read the post and there is a 17 y/o cruising, which in my opinion, is no longer a child. Thanks

I was under the impression that these were children. Re-read the post and there is a 17 y/o cruising, which in my opinion, is no longer a child. Thanks

Yes, I read the post, and the oldest child is 17...so would be eligible for a 10 year adult passport...which is exactly what "Essiesmom", in the post you quoted, was referring to, when she said "buy one kid a passport - the oldest, as his/her passport will be good for 10 years".

Your "opinion" that a 17 y/o is not a child is irrelevant, this a factual matter. A 17 y/o is legally a minor whether you think so or not...BUT...the US does issue a 10 year passport for a 17 y/o. "Essiesmom" correctly and accurately described the situation...and your statement that you only get a 5 year passport until you're 18 is just flat-out factually incorrect.

This may be a little off subject but thought this experience could help some travelers. In 2004 we were going to Jamaica using BC and drivers license. Had not trouble getting on the plane in PA but in Jamaica the customs/immigration office held me for at least 30 minutes because my names were different on the two items. He wanted my marriage license which we did not travel with as we had been married for 30 years. What a stressful time. We have had passports since then and will keep getting them.

This may be a little off subject but thought this experience could help some travelers. In 2004 we were going to Jamaica using BC and drivers license. Had not trouble getting on the plane in PA but in Jamaica the customs/immigration office held me for at least 30 minutes because my names were different on the two items. He wanted my marriage license which we did not travel with as we had been married for 30 years. What a stressful time. We have had passports since then and will keep getting them.
While I also recommend passports, I should point out the rules have changed markedly since 2004, and flying from the US to Jamaica now requires a passport. Cruise passengers are day visitors and are considered in-transit by most countries and fall under a different set of documentary requirements.

Archived