Price Reduction for 2012 cruise

Lovesatq

I was checking out my scheduled cruise for 6/2012 and noticed that the price was reduced by $500 per person. I called my TA and she checked with Regents and our price was lowered by $1000. Heads up to everyone already booked for 2012. Does anyone know if I didn't catch and call my TA would Regents apply the lower price at final payment time on their own?

I was checking out my scheduled cruise for 6/2012 and noticed that the price was reduced by $500 per person. I called my TA and she checked with Regents and our price was lowered by $1000. Heads up to everyone already booked for 2012. Does anyone know if I didn't catch and call my TA would Regents apply the lower price at final payment time on their own?

The anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that you or your TA (if you booked through a TA) will be successful in getting the new fare regardless of any “new bookings only” caveats which sometimes are included in the offer. However, it never been the case in our experience that Regent has notified our TA or us informing us of the change. So, I always monitor the fares. Somewhat more confusing now that they’ve backed out some taxes since your old fare may have been booked prior to those fees and therefore grandfathered whereas the new “cheaper” fare may not, in fact, be cheaper.

Whenever I think the fare has gone down, I just ask our TA to reprice it under the new structure so the final bottom lines can be compared apples to apples.

My TA tracks these things and was the one to let me know my cruise fare was lowered, I didn't notice it. I mentioned before on another thread when prices went down weeks ago. Some TA's do not do this, apparently.

I have a new invoice, and it does NOT add on any additional port fees. Those only apply to cruises booked after July 1 is my understanding.

It isn't that TA's don't want to do this for their clients. Only TA's with specific negotiated contracts are able to provide this to their clients.

Do what for their clients? Get the lower fare? Loveatq's TA seemed to be able to do it for her.

It isn't that TA's don't want to do this for their clients. Only TA's with specific negotiated contracts are able to provide this to their clients.

Think your post is a bit misleading. Went to your TA's website and saw what they say about contract rates. First, they only have negotiated contracts for specific cruises and not all cruises. Then they state that in case you book after fares go up they can still get you the early booking price. Not applicable to fares going down after you book and by the contract, if the rate went below the contract rate, doubt the fare would go down for their clients. By the way, not a lot of cruises are identified as available under this policy. I have quoted the message below and removed any mention of the TA's name to comply with CC rules:

Due to GROUP CONTRACTS on specific dates if the RSSC price goes up we can still secure the original early booking fare if SPACE IS AVAILABLE- select dates only. Any cruises with lower rates will be identified below.

While this is a nice policy, it doesn't appear to cover what we are discussing here nor does it cover the majority of cruises. Seems to me and based on other responses that any TA or direct with Regent bookings would qualify for lowered rates if Regent lowers their public rate assuming space is available as shown above.

We are on the May 20th sailing and after reading this post I checked and our prices remained the same but I just book about a week ago. I think it is great to point out price reductions on this site because not all TA's keep up.

Kandy and Ron from Texas

Think your post is a bit misleading. Went to your TA's website and saw what they say about contract rates. First, they only have negotiated contracts for specific cruises and not all cruises. Then they state that in case you book after fares go up they can still get you the early booking price. Not applicable to fares going down after you book and by the contract, if the rate went below the contract rate, doubt the fare would go down for their clients. By the way, not a lot of cruises are identified as available under this policy. I have quoted the message below and removed any mention of the TA's name to comply with CC rules:

Due to GROUP CONTRACTS on specific dates if the RSSC price goes up we can still secure the original early booking fare if SPACE IS AVAILABLE- select dates only. Any cruises with lower rates will be identified below.

While this is a nice policy, it doesn't appear to cover what we are discussing here nor does it cover the majority of cruises. Seems to me and based on other responses that any TA or direct with Regent bookings would qualify for lowered rates if Regent lowers their public rate assuming space is available as shown above.

Mine might be misleading, but yours is confusing -- had to read it three times:-)

The reason I feel this may be related to the discussion is due to the recent unannounced price increase (some fees and taxes becoming separate). If the price of the cruise goes down and you haven't paid in full, you do get the lower rate. Isn't this standard? If you booked prior to July 1st and the rates reduce August 1st, when Regent prints the new invoice, do they now add in the taxes because of the change? If they do, then the TA contracts may kick in. My point was that TA's try to do what they can for their clients. There are times when their hands are tied due to their contractual agreement with Regent.

Think I made this more confusing.

Mine might be misleading, but yours is confusing -- had to read it three times:-)

My point was that TA's try to do what they can for their clients. There are times when their hands are tied due to their contractual agreement with Regent.

Think I made this more confusing.

What made the whole thing confusing was your original post as follows:

You clearly stated that only TA's with specific negotiated contracts are able to provide price protection to their clients and this is totally untrue. Yes, negotiated contracts can and do help their clients but, we were talking about price decreases after booking and your statement was that only those with negotiated contracts could get the discounts after booking. Not true.

Your latest statement above is true and much better stated. Negotiated contracts can help the client save money but, sometimes it won't. All customers can get their fares adjusted for decreases in public fares and not just those who have TA's with negotiated contracts.

Hopefully this clears things up.

TC, I'm always amazed at your inside knowledge. Just curious, what's your source for this blanket statement?

Some things are not meant for us to know. :D

Well, it is obvious to me that what was posted was not correct and that the OP was confused and there is no secret contract that certain TA's have that allows them to get a lower price for your cruise than other TA's or even Regent direct after you have booked.

TC just confused two different pricing policies. The first, applicable to OP, was that anyone can get their fare lowered when Regent lowers prices. Some TAs track this for their clients; but for others, they can track this too and just notify their TA.

The second policy pertains to "group space" wherein the TA can still sell at original price even though there has been one or more quarterly price increases. This is far more limited and based on which sailings each TA has group space.

I have not used a Virtuoso agent for many years; maybe one of the folks here that use Virtuoso will be able to expand on this as I would expect that Virtuoso can arrange similar agreements.

Mark, your second paragraph is what I was referring to. Thank you for explaining that.

Threechicks: It is not uncommon for TA's to have negotiated contracts with a cruise line. As Marc said, it relates to "group space". I recently booked a cruise after the July 1st increases. We did not have to pay the "fees and taxes" due to the contract our TA had with Regent.

rallydave: Your post also helped clear things up. . . . thanks!

Since specific TA information is not allowed on CruiseCritic, most of us recommend using a TA that regularly books cruises on Regent as they are more likely to be able to assist in this area.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. We have put down the deposit on a Sydney to Singapore cruise on Regent's Seven Seas Voyager in Feb. We are using a Virtuoso TA. The pending cruise does not require final payment for a couple months.

So, two questions:

1) If the cruise price is reduced, will our price be reduced if our TA knows or is notified by us?

2) If the cruise is reduced AFTER final payment will our price be reduced if our TA knows or is notified by us?

Thanks for the info!

Larinconada

If the price is reduced before final payment, your fare will be reduced. After final payment, it would not. Your TA should be on top of this. To my knowledge, Regent has not lowered the fare after final payment is due which is a good thing.

Sorry, TC, you're incorrect. Made final payment on cruise. Then came the reduction. Regent refunded the $1,000.00 via Credit Card. Also, the additional money for Taxes, etc. was not charged.

Interesting. Upon recommendation of our TA - quite some time ago, we hold off the last $100 or so of the final payment until the last minute. . . . in case the price goes down. Perhaps this is another case of inconsistency.

Interesting. Upon recommendation of our TA - quite some time ago, we hold off the last $100 or so of the final payment until the last minute. . . . in case the price goes down. Perhaps this is another case of inconsistency.

What is the advantage to only hold the last $100 or so until the last minute? Seems to make more sense to hold off the whole final payment until the last second. As I understand Regent's T's & C's, the final payment needs to be in their hands by the 90th day prior to sailing so I would rather delay the whole final payment rather than only a $100 or so. Depending on your credit card closing date, delaying as long as possible could give you an additional 30 days before you have to pay for the cruise and is a good help for cash flow.

Rallydave: It shouldn't surprise you, considering my mathematical ability (or lack thereof), that I have nothing whatsoever to do with making payments to Regent. What you say makes sense -- my only input has been not to pay it off until the last minute in case the price goes down.

I have an off subject question. I seem to have lost the icons (smiles, winks, etc.). Still have icons that can be used in the subject line. This happened when I started subscribing to threads. Anyone else have this problem?

Good to know that sometimes a price will go down even after final payment.

I agree, the only reason I would pay in advance of the final date is if I think the Canadian $ will go up (I pay in USD.)

In my experience, if the prices drop, my TA informs me, and does the calculation to see if it makes a difference for me. That includes cancelling/rebooking, which incurs fees.

Good to know that sometimes a price will go down even after final payment.

I agree, the only reason I would pay in advance of the final date is if I think the Canadian $ will go up (I pay in USD.)

In my experience, if the prices drop, my TA informs me, and does the calculation to see if it makes a difference for me. That includes cancelling/rebooking, which incurs fees.

Think you've got it Wendy. I do have a question for you though. I'm relatively sure both you and tc have the same TA who is highly touted by many on this board yet you each have different experiences with final payments. Can you explain this disparity so that others can learn the best way to make final payment as well as whether or not to take the numberous recommendations for this TA and use that person or not as their TA.

Thanks,

T... I'm relatively sure both you and tc have the same TA who is highly touted by many on this board yet you each have different experiences with final payments. Can you explain this disparity so that others can learn the best way to make final payment as well as whether or not to take the numberous recommendations for this TA and use that person or not as their TA.

Thanks,

Huh? I arrange my final payment almost universally for the day that's recommended by my TA, which is a couple of days before the deadline to allow for processing. Period. Only exception, as I said, is if I choose to pay early because of a currency advantage. Nothing to explain.

Archived