Irene Hitting Princess Cays

CRLess

According to the satellite images and tracks this morning, Irene is going right over the top of Princess Cays. Let's hope the damage is minimal, but I suspect that it is going to be hit pretty hard :(. I would also bet that the private beaches/islands for the other cruise lines will be suffering some pretty heavy damage.

At 6:30 this morning the storm was about 38 miles south-west of Princess Cay which means Princess Cay is in the worst possible place. No doubt that tomorrow morning after the sun comes back out, folks will be walking around in a daze. Then they will rake the beach, put some new palm fronds on those thatch huts around the Cay and act like it was nothing when your ship pulls in in a couple of weeks. That could be over simplifying just a bit but I think they will come back quickly. We're just all going to have to go there and see!

I think it was in 2003 that we missed Princess Cays and went to Nassau instead because of hurricane damage. It was about six weeks after a hurricane hit. I hope all of the locals on Eleuthera are safe.

I think it was in 2003 that we missed Princess Cays and went to Nassau instead because of hurricane damage. It was about six weeks after a hurricane hit. I hope all of the locals on Eleuthera are safe.

A circumstance to be wished for.:p

Several years back the dock for Princess Cays was damaged in a hurricane. The Southern Caribbean cruise I was on some months later had to skip that stop.

Let's hope when they repaired/rebuilt the dock they strengthened it sufficiently to withstand this one with minimal effect.

There is no dock at Princess Cays, it's always a tender port. However, I remember cruise ship docks being damaged by hurricanes in Costa Maya and Grand Turk. Grand Turk also seems to be right in Irene's path/ Let's all hope the damage is minimal for all the residents there, and that ships are not diverted for too long because so many locals depend on revenue from the cruise passengers.

There is no dock at Princess Cays, it's always a tender port. However, I remember cruise ship docks being damaged by hurricanes in Costa Maya and Grand Turk. Grand Turk also seems to be right in Irene's path/ Let's all hope the damage is minimal for all the residents there, and that ships are not diverted for too long because so many locals depend on revenue from the cruise passengers.

There is a dock for the tenders.

I think there is a tender dock, otherwise people would have to swim in!!icon7.gificon10.gif

It would be a nice change. It's been quite a while since Princess has been docking at Nassau.

After the last hurricane, when Princess Cay was off the grid for 6 months, they rebuilt a nice strong tender dock, bridge, concrete bathrooms and concrete buffet building. The first aid station, the little bungalows, and the bars tikis are the only thing a hurricane can blow away. And if the tidal surge is heavy, much of the beach will be washed away. Luckily there is a "quarry" on the island so new sand can be made and brought in. I hope the damage is minimal so the Cay can be back in business quickly.

I hope that the hurricane's winds don't cause too much damage. It is a shame that the people on those Caribbean islands have to endure nature's fury over and over again. We were looking forward to having one of the bungalows on Princess Cay in November, but I guess we'll just have to go with the flow and hope for the best all around.

Debjo

Let's hope that Princess Cays survives the hurricane. I always enjoy a day there and in the coming months I have two cruises that are supposed to go there and I would hate to have an additional sea day as a substitute.

Princess website states that the Caribbean Princess will turnaround in Brooklyn on Saturday as planned. Just watching the news, the mayor of NYC is saying low lying areas are being evacuated and shelters opened Friday evening. I wonder if turnaround will be able to take place as planned and the 8/27 cruise be able to leave as planned.

The best part of Princess Cays is staying on the ship and having the hot tubs and pools almost empty and all yours!!

I agree! I cruised on the Ruby Princess last January and couldn't believe how great it felt to have the ship almost to ourselves for the day! Looking forward to the same thing on my next cruise, when the Grand Princess stops there in January 2012.

Definitely hoping for the best for the locals and that Hurricane Irene doesn't cause them too much damage, however.

Our first and only cruise so far was 2004, just after hurricane Ivan. That wiped out Princess Cays and Grand Cayman. We didn't get to go to the Cays, but we were the first visitors to Grand Caymans. Everything was fenced, closed and not operating. We had a great trip swimming with the stingrays. Out next cruise is in January. Hopefully time to recover from hurricane damage. I was happy that I could contribute to the economy of the islands. They depend on the cruise ships!

The best part of Princess Cays is staying on the ship and having the hot tubs and pools almost empty and all yours!!

There is certainly nothing wrong with having the ship to yourself, but I prefer white sandy beaches and turquoise waters to a tiny swimming pool. I enjoyed the snorkelling on the island too. I enjoyed my recent visit to Princess Cay (even though a uncrowded pool on the ship can be nice too!)

I imagine that Princess Cays and other private islands in Bahamas will be out of operation for several months. Just west of Princess Cays is a small island owned by Holland America where their private island is -- Half Moon Cay.

Glad I am not on any of the departing cruises this weekend -- no matter what, the ship will get caught up in Irene cause it is such a HUGE storm -- heard 1 reporter say it is not quite as big as Texas from outer bands thru middle to outer bands!!!

I believe that Irene is passing over the Bahamas as well. I also would like to stop in Nassau.

Archived