Bonine, Ginger Capsules, and the Patch...can I use all? Mix with alcohol?

tasmith09

Operation avoid motion sickness is underway..spent 2 days sick last cruise and that was while using the patch. We cruise in 24 days and I am determined to avoid feeling the least bit queasy this time.

My plan is to use the patch the whole time, take a ginger capsule in the morning and a bonine at night.

Has anyone used all 3?

Did you experience any side effects from taking too much medication?

Will I be able to have an occasional drink?

Should I start using them a few days prior to sailing?

Where can I buy ginger capsules?

Any other ideas??

I am very sensitive to motion include getting severe car sickness after being in the car for any more than a couple hours and all flights I've taken. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!

I get ginger pills in the vitamin/supplement section at walmart. They're 500 mg. Those are all I take and don't affect anything I eat or drink. I also use them to ride roller coasters so they really work for rocky seas for me. I start taking them about three days before. 2 a day and then usually one or two in the morning on the cruise and then more as needed throughout the day.

Operation avoid motion sickness is underway..spent 2 days sick last cruise and that was while using the patch. We cruise in 24 days and I am determined to avoid feeling the least bit queasy this time.

My plan is to use the patch the whole time, take a ginger capsule in the morning and a bonine at night.

Has anyone used all 3?

Any other ideas??

I am very sensitive to motion include getting severe car sickness after being in the car for any more than a couple hours and all flights I've taken. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!

I agree. Talk to your doctor. There may be better prescription drugs that could be prescribed and he/she will be able to tell you about possible interactions with other medications or alcohol.

Please don't mix without asking your doctor!

The patch makes me sick so I don't use it any more and haven't used it for years. I tend to get very sea sick. I now take Bonine and I start the day before I board the ship and take one every morning and one every night while we're at sea. Haven't been sea sick since I started doing this.

Good Luck and please do not over-medicate!

Please don't mix without asking your doctor!

The patch makes me sick so I don't use it any more and haven't used it for years. I tend to get very sea sick. I now take Bonine and I start the day before I board the ship and take one every morning and one every night while we're at sea. Haven't been sea sick since I started doing this.

Good Luck and please do not over-medicate!

I couldn't use the patch either. It affected my eyesight and it dried my mouth out so badly that I literally had a hard time swallowing.

I now too take Bonine beginning a couple of days before I leave but I only take one at night and have not had any problems with being sick.

As advised by others.......please do NOT mix any medications!!!!

Angie,

Have u tried sea bands? We use them and don't get bothered by motion problems on the ship. Now, on land I get car sick very easily, and u couldn't pay me to ride a rollercoaster but on a ship, I trust the sea bands, they haven't failed me yet:) wear one on each wrist...then drink all u would like. Even if u decide to take meds too, I think using the seabands could be a good addition, just extra insurance:)

See ya in 23 days!!!!!

I buy my Ginger Pills at CVS Pharmacy, any big-chain Pharmacy should have them. My Walmart did not have them recently, either.:confused: I take them when I am feeling sick at my stomach at home, not just on cruises. They truly work wonders for me!!

As advised, I will talk to my MD and I will probably bring the patches but not use unless necessary. Didn't work so great last time anyway. I'll try just sticking to a bonine at night (makes me sleepy), and ginger in the morning. Also, I have tried the bands for long car rides and they didn't seem to do any good but maybe they'll be different on the ship. Thanks for the advice!

OP, I wore the Sea-Bands (loved them), started using the patch on day 2 due to rough seas, took Bonine at night before going to bed and took the Ginger pills in the morning. Perhaps this was overkill but we sailed during the tail end of a hurricane and had a few days of rocky seas. I wasn't sea sick one bit, was not drowsy and did not suffer any ill side effects.. I am a light drinker and did have a drink or two everyday and didn't notice any side effects from this either. My fiance only took the Bonine at night and the Ginger pills in the morning and he did just fine as well. Everyone's system is different so just see what will work for you. I put on a patch the week before we left on our cruise and wore it for 2 days just to see how I would do with it. I also tried out the Bonine. So buy it and try it out at home so you wont have any unpleasant surprises onboard. You do have to get an RX for the patches but most doctors will not have a problem writing a script if you tell them you are prone to motion sickness.

We found our Ginger pills at Walmart in the vitamin and supplement section. It was not in with the seasick meds and Sea-Bands. If you can't find it there, check Walgreens vitamin section, they carry it too but it is less expensive at Walmart. (less than $5 for a large bottle)

Good luck to you.

I would be careful about over loading on preventives. I take a damamine if I am on a small craft or if there are heavy seas and as far as I know it worked everytime. Stick to the one you feel the most confidnece in and use it.

When we were on the Celerity Princess in Alaska and encountered heavy seas our waiter recommended green apples and saltime crackers. Both of these would help, I know they work because because we used both when i was lttle and prone to seasickness.

Hope that helps.

Fr84wrdr

Most ships will advised you NOT to use the patch. Hubby tends to get real seasick and have it alittle. We take half a Bonine in the morning and half at nite so we dont get too tired. If we are porting that day and have felt OK, then we skip the morning one. I am going to try the ginger pills this time and take the Bonine as back up. I found the ginger pills at Walmart ,last week. In the vitamin section under ginger root.

Take ginger in the morning and Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg) at night. Start a day or two before the cruise. Dump the patch. Too many folks with side effects from it.

Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg) is the active ingrediant in Bonine BUT if you ask the pharmacist for it, you can get a 100ct bottle for around $10. It is behind the counter even though it is a OTC. Much cheaper than buying Bonine.

Dave

The patch requires a scrip and so is heavy duty meds!

DO NOT mix it with over the counter BONINE!!

IF the patch didn't work I doubt if eating a green apple will help much!

You can try adding the sea bands but some people are just resistant to meds .

I use the transderm (Spelling??) patch and drink like a fish. no probems at all....

Has anyone used all 3?

Any other ideas??

Archived