should they be compensated?

S.S.Oceanlover

While NCL will probably pony up something, Im sure their contact is similar to Carnival's which says the following

) The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master's discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns, US or foreign governmental advisories or travel warnings, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances other than as provided by Carnival's change of itinerary policy at the time Guest or his agent acknowledges receipt and acceptance of the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract. Carnival's change of itinerary policy can be found at www.carnival.com or at www.carnival.com/cms/faq/

Im sure a lawyer could say arrival and departure times isnt limited to the day the cruise was planned to leave or depart. Leaving a day late is changing the departure time.

Absolutely correct, and as long as you are on board the ship waiting to leave a day late you have no recourse. If they don't provide the ship for you to board on the contracted day then you are entitled to fair compensation until the ship is provided.

Changing the cruise length by postponing the departure day or by disembarking a day early is not the same thing as modifying departure/arrival times. Now if either of you had tossed in a reference to force majeure then you might have something.

They booked the trip during hurricane season, they gambled and lost. Now they cry about it. Accept it, if they had trip insurance that may temper some of the loss but still they took a chance knowing full well what could happen and it did. Quit whining and crying about a lack of jugdement.

Here's some simple but effective advice, If you don't want your vacation jacked up by a hurricane. DON'T BOOK A CRUISE DURING HURRICANE SEASON.

What about those who cruised from Galveston in Feb and lost a day or 2 because of fog? Same thing. I do have insurence and I travel next week. But I can handle port changes. Cutting it short by a day is different.

If you pay for seven but only get six then you deserve a refund, 'nuff said.

Agreed!

For the people out there who believe that these people shouldn't be compensated because its hurricane season. That is the most heartless thing I've heard in a long time. Maybe not everybody is lucky enough to cruise during non-hurricane season. Maybe some of us work jobs where our schedules or limited, etc, etc. I'm self-employed, and can only vacation during Thanksgiving week. Does that mean I don't deserve to cruise?? I don't think so. I guess you non-hurricane cruisers are so much better than the rest of us. We are just plain stupid. Actually I think we just want to enjoy ourselves like everyone else...

So one more time, is 2 days inane or not ? You seem very sure of yourself.

:rolleyes:

Seriously?, you have trouble making the distinction that losing a day as a result of a hurricane vs having a one day cruise when you paid for 7 is inane?

Have you personally or have you heard of anyone losing 2-6 days on a cruise without being compenstated?

:rolleyes:

Since you partially quoted what I said i will copy it and post it again for you.

Unless the situation has actually happened your question also falls under hypothetical inane question.

Since you have a hard time keeping up I will say it again, comparing losing 1 day on a 7 day cruise from a hurricane vs losing 6 of 7 days with no compensation is inane.

Since you partially quoted what I said i will copy it and post it again for you.

Unless the situation has actually happened your question also falls under hypothetical inane question.

Since you have a hard time keeping up I will say it again, comparing losing 1 day on a 7 day cruise from a hurricane vs losing 6 of 7 days with no compensation is inane.

Sorry. I was just so surprised you correctly used the word inane.

"hypothetical inane" however does not actually make sense. I guess you really are from the deep south.

Hi all, I just briefly read all the comments. My wife (Basketsuze) and I are on this cruise and leaving in the morning.

Here is our take....

We understand the risk we run when cruising in hurricane season. You all have already talked about those. We also understand it is not Carnival's fault that we had a hurricane come up the coast. Technically, they owe us nothing. The cruiselines are also assuming a business risk by cruising during these times. That is a business risk.

Now that I said that, Carnival is offering us some compensation of 1/7 of the cruise, payable within two weeks of sailing. They may offer us alternatives once on board.

My point is this...Although we assume the risk to sail at this time of year and Carnival assumes the risk of sailing this time of year.. we are willing to take any compensation offered. Carnival, without being proded offers compensation when other lines would not. This is just one reason why we switched to Carnival exclusively. They have the proper PR that let's them know a small loss now can equal a big gain later. Most customers will be loyal to that type of product.

We appreciate the fact we don't have to even ask the question. They were willing to give 100% refunds to those affected by the storms. Again, they didn't have to do that either.

What ever compensation we get, Carnival will get those dollars back, if not on this cruise, then another. We are currently booked in November and will be booking again in January.

So there you have it. We didn't need to ask for compensation, they offered it, we will spend the money with them anyway. Excellence in PR = Excellence in Loyalty.

Hi all, I just briefly read all the comments. My wife (Basketsuze) and I are on this cruise and leaving in the morning.

Here is our take....

We understand the risk we run when cruising in hurricane season. You all have already talked about those. We also understand it is not Carnival's fault that we had a hurricane come up the coast. Technically, they owe us nothing. The cruiselines are also assuming a business risk by cruising during these times. That is a business risk.

Now that I said that, Carnival is offering us some compensation of 1/7 of the cruise, payable within two weeks of sailing. They may offer us alternatives once on board.

My point is this...Although we assume the risk to sail at this time of year and Carnival assumes the risk of sailing this time of year.. we are willing to take any compensation offered. Carnival, without being proded offers compensation when other lines would not. This is just one reason why we switched to Carnival exclusively. They have the proper PR that let's them know a small loss now can equal a big gain later. Most customers will be loyal to that type of product.

We appreciate the fact we don't have to even ask the question. They were willing to give 100% refunds to those affected by the storms. Again, they didn't have to do that either.

What ever compensation we get, Carnival will get those dollars back, if not on this cruise, then another. We are currently booked in November and will be booking again in January.

So there you have it. We didn't need to ask for compensation, they offered it, we will spend the money with them anyway. Excellence in PR = Excellence in Loyalty.

The thread is not about your cruise on Carnival - it is about a cruise on NCL that is also leaving a day late due to Hurricane Irene. Unlike Carnival who has already said that guests will be compensated, NCL has not yet said whether they are offering any compensation to guests who paid for a 7 day cruise but will only be getting a 6 day one.

Have a great time on your cruise, and I'm glad that you aren't letting the shorter cruise length dampen your excitement. :)

As someone who worked in the airline for 10+ years, I may have a little difference perspective to offer. When I worked at the gate in customer service and we had flights cancel due to weather, we were NOT required to give any form of compensation to the passengers whose travel plans were affected. It was considered a cancellation that was for the safety of the passengers and was out of our control. However, that does not mean that there weren't times that we chose to go above what we were required to do.

Ticket contracts are purposeful pretty ambiguous. When they refer to "changes to departure/arrival times" it can certainly be interpreted by the cruise company to mean that the departure time could change from 4PM today to 10AM tomorrow. I think that HAL is doing what they are allowed to do per their contract. They are not obligated to compensate. Carnival is not obligated to compensate either....but they are doing what is RIGHT by their customers. They are going out of their way to make a bad situation a little bit better for their customers...which in the end is going to result in more repeat customers and better word of mouth. When these passengers get home from their 6 day cruise, they are going to tell all of their friends how Carnival took care of them.

Misty

[/b]

Absolutely correct, and as long as you are on board the ship waiting to leave a day late you have no recourse. If they don't provide the ship for you to board on the contracted day then you are entitled to fair compensation until the ship is provided.

Please direct me where the above statement in bold exists in written Carnival policy.

As someone who worked in the airline for 10+ years, I may have a little difference perspective to offer. When I worked at the gate in customer service and we had flights cancel due to weather, we were NOT required to give any form of compensation to the passengers whose travel plans were affected. It was considered a cancellation that was for the safety of the passengers and was out of our control. However, that does not mean that there weren't times that we chose to go above what we were required to do.

Apples and oranges.

The thread is not about your cruise on Carnival - it is about a cruise on NCL that is also leaving a day late due to Hurricane Irene. Unlike Carnival who has already said that guests will be compensated, NCL has not yet said whether they are offering any compensation to guests who paid for a 7 day cruise but will only be getting a 6 day one.

Have a great time on your cruise, and I'm glad that you aren't letting the shorter cruise length dampen your excitement. :)

I don't want to cruise line bash so I stand behind my comments. I did see that NCL was the original line in question. I think my comments about Carnival's PR says what needs to be said. We have sailed with NCL....one time. I repeat...one time.

I don't want to cruise line bash so I stand behind my comments. I did see that NCL was the original line in question. I think my comments about Carnival's PR says what needs to be said. We have sailed with NCL....one time. I repeat...one time.

Same here! One time! LOL :D

Ummm, yes....you are correct, but this is the Carnival board!:)

One more thing then I'm going back to my happy little shortened cruise thread.

The only reason I responded was to put my take on this subject that I found on the "Carnival Board". Go ahead and look into our roll-call. We are somewhat disappointed with the itinerary change but no one is hanging themselves over it either. We are gonna have fun no matter what.

The "gimme gimme gimme me me me" mindset is simply stunning.

If you are stupid enough to cruise during The Season, then at least get trip insurance.

Bravo to NCL.

If you are stupid enough to cruise during The Season, then at least get trip insurance.

Bravo to NCL.

Not a "gimme" mindset. You pay for something, in this case a 7 night cruise, you expect to get a 7 night cruise. No one is asking for more than they are entitled to or have paid for.

Ummm, yes....you are correct, but this is the Carnival board!:)

No way! Really? I must have missed a sign somewhere. :roll eyes:

I explained to the previous poster that this was about NCL because they stated that they skimmed over the thread, and I thought that maybe they thought that the thread was about their upcoming Carnival cruise. They responded to me and clarified that they knew it was about NCL, and their post explained how Carnival was handling the same situation.

Apples and oranges.

Not really....good customer service is good customer service. And airlines and cruiselines have alot of the same policies and procedures when it comes to changes in schedules. Granted when my flights canceled it only affected a couple hundred people. When cruise lines are affected in this nature, it is on a grander scale. My point was....both companies are covered under their ticket contracts and are not required to provide compensation....but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't provide it. I agree that the best thing any company can do (cruiseline, airline, cable company, whatever) is take care of their customer. Period!

And working in the airline industry, I dealt with more than my share of cruise passengers who missed their flights and who were going to miss their ship. One in particular had purchased their own airfare cause they wanted to use miles to save money. Their flight was late and they missed their connection in Cincinnati due to fog where they left from. They had only left themselves 90 minutes once they got to Orlando to make the ship in Port Canaveral so their were NO later flights that would get them in on time. Technically per our contract since their flight was late due to fog (weather), I didn't have to do a thing for them but get them on the next available flight to Orlando. But that would have done them no good as their ship would have been long gone. Instead I flew them to Cancun and put them up in a resort for 2 nights so they could meet the ship at it's next port of call. Then I threw in a handful of drink vouchers so they could at elast enjoy a few cocktails on the long flight to Mexico. It definitely wasn't my airlines fault that there was fog that morning and it certainly wasn't my airlines fault that they flew in on the day of their cruise and left them such a short window to make their cruise. But I made it my problem to solve, because it was the right thing to do.

Like I said, good customer service is good customer service regardless of the situation.

Misty

Bravo to NCL.

I am shocked that this is your stance.

So anyone that cruises from June 1 - Nov 30 are stupid? Or they are only stupid if they cruise then and don't get trip insurance? Or are they stupid if they cruise NCL?

Sorry. I was just so surprised you correctly used the word inane.

"hypothetical inane" however does not actually make sense. I guess you really are from the deep south.

Maybe you can find and educated adult to explain it to you. lol.gif

Not really....good customer service is good customer service. And airlines and cruiselines have alot of the same policies and procedures when it comes to changes in schedules. Granted when my flights canceled it only affected a couple hundred people. When cruise lines are affected in this nature, it is on a grander scale. My point was....both companies are covered under their ticket contracts and are not required to provide compensation....but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't provide it. I agree that the best thing any company can do (cruiseline, airline, cable company, whatever) is take care of their customer. Period!

And working in the airline industry, I dealt with more than my share of cruise passengers who missed their flights and who were going to miss their ship. One in particular had purchased their own airfare cause they wanted to use miles to save money. Their flight was late and they missed their connection in Cincinnati due to fog where they left from. They had only left themselves 90 minutes once they got to Orlando to make the ship in Port Canaveral so their were NO later flights that would get them in on time. Technically per our contract since their flight was late due to fog (weather), I didn't have to do a thing for them but get them on the next available flight to Orlando. But that would have done them no good as their ship would have been long gone. Instead I flew them to Cancun and put them up in a resort for 2 nights so they could meet the ship at it's next port of call. Then I threw in a handful of drink vouchers so they could at elast enjoy a few cocktails on the long flight to Mexico. It definitely wasn't my airlines fault that there was fog that morning and it certainly wasn't my airlines fault that they flew in on the day of their cruise and left them such a short window to make their cruise. But I made it my problem to solve, because it was the right thing to do.

Like I said, good customer service is good customer service regardless of the situation.

Misty

I don't think think you got what I said. I agree about the customer service. But the airline example versus the cruise example is apples and oranges.

Bravo to NCL.

We always purchase trip insurance. Wouldn't travel without it. It really doesn't cost that much and it's peace of mind should you ever need to use the on-board medical center or God forbid, something happens before or during the cruise.

We also make a point to cruise during the end of the hurricane season for several reasons: 1) The rates are cheaper; and most importantly, 2) This is the time of year we both can get approved for vacation time from our jobs since it's at the end of peak summer season.

We have been onboard thru numerous hurricane avoidance maneuvers, changes in itinerary, rocky seas, outer decks closed, flying deck chairs, and so on. We love it and do not plan to change our travel plans. It's the luck of the draw and you get what you get. This is why you will never see either one of us complaining about any of the above issues.

You do realize that the official Hurricane Season is from June 1st through November 30th, right? So anyone who cruises during this time frame is stupid, right? I take exception to your comments. Cruising during hurricane season can be a wonderful experience, as we've done it for the last 11 years and only had issues a few times. There is nothing more humbling than being out on rough seas realizing that all our little problems and concerns are really very insignificant in the greater scheme of things. But, that's just me.

Suze!

Archived