should they be compensated?

S.S.Oceanlover

Not a "gimme" mindset. You pay for something, in this case a 7 night cruise, you expect to get a 7 night cruise. No one is asking for more than they are entitled to or have paid for.

That is my feeling on this as well.

My argument when someone gets pissed about missing a port, is that when you purchase a cruise, you are NOT paying to get to any particular place, you are paying for days on a ship.

SO...I feel that if I pay for a 7 day cruise and weather doesn't permit that, I should get something for the day(s) missed on that ship.

To me it's simple and not 'gimme' at all.

I still have faith that NCL will offer those passengers something. If they don't I'll find it highly disappointing.

I will cut to the chase here.

A responsible company that desires to maintain a decent reputation and satisfied repeat customers will refund a portion of the cruise cost to customers who lose a day of their cruise for whatever reason.

Nothing else matters and nothing else needs to be said.

Doc

Well said. This would not even be an issue with most reputable companies, regardless of the contract language. When you let the lawyers run the company you are in trouble.

Well said. This would not even be an issue with most reputable companies, regardless of the contract language. When you let the lawyers run the company you are in trouble.

Exactly. Contracts are in place to legally protect a company, not absolve them from practicing common decency.

On the flip side... They aren't charging you for an extra 1/7th if your cruise is extended due to a hurricane. What hotel would let you stay for free an extra day and feed you all your meals?? None... They may have a special rate but you will be paying more....

On the flip side... They aren't charging you for an extra 1/7th if your cruise is extended due to a hurricane. What hotel would let you stay for free an extra day and feed you all your meals?? None... They may have a special rate but you will be paying more....

Actually many resorts do indeed have that policy, if you are on property and a hurricane hits and the airports are closed, they will usually comp extra days.

My friends were stuck in a hotel in Hawaii when they were hit my a hurricane.......nobody was allowed to leave the hotel.......they were compt food, drinks and and extra day for their room. They even had an open bar for an hour after lunch.....

I know this is the CCL board but I am amazed by the responses on the NCL board about the cruise from NY that is delayed a day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1471344

It is not leaving until Monday instead of today.

It has been reported that NCL will offer no compensation to anybody on the upcoming cruise even though it's shortened from a 7 day cruise to a 6 day cruise.

Most on the board from what I've read on page 1 say those pax don't deserve anything. That's the chance you take cruising in hurricane season.

To me if I paid for a 7 day cruie and it was shortened by a day I'd want 1/7 of my money back.

What do you think?

Bill

I think we should wait until it's all said and done.......

If they boarded the ship, it just couldnt leave until the next day, not ENTITLED to anything, but a little would be nice but not necessary.

If I couldnt board the ship and eat and had to pay for a hotel and food, thats different... then I would expect something.

As long as they boarded, Id say not required.

I don't post on CC very often, but I have to say...Many years ago, we had a very similar incident occur when we were sailing RCCL.

We were supposed to sail out of Port Canaveral, but the actual port was damaged by a hurricane. The cruise was moved to Miami. It lost one ( or maybe two, can't remember? ) days of the cruise.

RCCL bussed everyone who flew in etc and couldn't get from Orlando or PC to Miami. They gave EACH INDIVIDUAL guest a $200 PP ship board credit. AND they gave everyone a 50% off next cruise voucher.

Guess who saw my business again...and again?

My family has cruised with Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Disney and Celebrity. The only cruise line that I would never sail again was NCL. And yep...Not. Even. For. Free.

This just shows me that my opinion of that company works for me.

If you cruise during hurricane season you are essentially playing a game of chicken with Mother Nature. That is why you PAY LESS this time of year. If you want to take advantage of the lower prices, you also have to accept it when you don't win that game of chicken. If you don't like the risk, you should pay the extra money and cruise at another time of year.

I don't think there should be compensation for missing a day due to a hurricane any more that I think I should be compensated because it rained all day the day we were in Grand Cayman. There are no guaranties and when you accept your cruise contract you accept that fact.

If more people actually read these contracts there would be fewer unrealistic expectations.

For me I am used to Carnival being very fair so they have spoiled me to expect an OBC. We sailed NCL for the first time in March and our cruise left 10 hours late; NCL gave us NOTHING. I was able to get money back for one day by filing a claim through my insurance. They reimbursed due to a letter that we received from NCL stating mechanical problems. In my 12 cruises this is the only claim I had ever filed.

Carnival anytime I have missed a day (1st cruise/due to Hurricane) or changed port they give back either port fees/charges or OBC. Once missed Key West on RC and they gave nothing back. It seems Carnival is really the only one that does give this type of credit most of the time. This is why Carnival will get most of my business.

Definitely credit for 1 night in form of OBC with cash option if not used. Or even a future cruise credit.

Not sure if insurance would help reimburse in this case? Maybe it would help with hotel, but I dont think insurance would even refund your missed night?

SO...I feel that if I pay for a 7 day cruise and weather doesn't permit that, I should get something for the day(s) missed on that ship.

To me it's simple and not 'gimme' at all.

I still have faith that NCL will offer those passengers something. If they don't I'll find it highly disappointing.

Absolutely!

If you cruise during hurricane season you are essentially playing a game of chicken with Mother Nature. That is why you PAY LESS this time of year. If you want to take advantage of the lower prices, you also have to accept it when you don't win that game of chicken. If you don't like the risk, you should pay the extra money and cruise at another time of year.

I don't think there should be compensation for missing a day due to a hurricane any more that I think I should be compensated because it rained all day the day we were in Grand Cayman. There are no guaranties and when you accept your cruise contract you accept that fact.

If more people actually read these contracts there would be fewer unrealistic expectations.

Wow! Really?

You live on the east coast, so you must not have children in school...

I work in a hospital that has a policy that I can't take vacation at the Christmas/New Years holidays.

Often Spring Break cruises are prohibitively expensive.

I don't want to sail when it's "cold" I have no desire to wear a parka in Mexico.

I have a daughter who is in high school and can't miss a bunch of school days.

Hurricane season is from June-November.

When EXACTLY am I supposed to vacation?

Do you mean everyone who vacations anywhere in the eastern part of the US and Caribbean should lose it all as we "gambled" on the weather? We shouldn't fly, take a train, book a hotel ( we may not get there) or take a cruise because we deserve to lose because we're cheap hurricane bookers?

You cannot be serious.

Wow! Really?

I work in a hospital that has a policy that I can't take vacation at the Christmas/New Years holidays.

I don't want to sail when it's "cold" I have no desire to wear a parka in Mexico.

Do you mean everyone who vacations anywhere in the eastern part of the US and Caribbean should lose it all as we "gambled" on the weather? We shouldn't fly, take a train, book a hotel ( we may not get there) or take a cruise because we deserve to lose because we're cheap hurricane bookers?

You cannot be serious.

When is Mexico cold:confused:

I've sailed twice to the W Caribbean in the last two years. ( 2011 and 2010. Last on the FOS and before that the brand new CCL Dream ) both were the first week of January..

In 2010 we stood in line at the port while it SNOWED and we spent the entire week freezing. We wore coats and jeans in Mexico and Belize. Last year, it was slightly warmer, we wore shorts in Cozumel, but it was too cold to swim and it began raining early in the day...

I'll never forget 2010 where the towel dude next to the pool passed out fleece blankets instead of towels, though.

This year, I've coughed up the cash and am sailing during Spring Break.

Paradise Beach 2011...notice NO one in the pool...

IMG_0033-1.jpg

The girls bought long sleeves before the day was over...You can see it was a bit breezy too..

IMG_0036-1.jpg

I'd love to know why some people are under the false impression that cruising during hurricane season is cheap????

Summer cruising is the most expensive time to cruise (other than holidays)

and for goodness sake...cold in Mexico? :confused:

Yeah, you might hit a day in the low 70's in February. Bring that parka!! :p

That's odd we have traveled to Mexico in December for the last 5 years and it has always been warm......

Maybe you should try December:p

In all honesty, I have done two Feb western Caribbean cruises that wound up being a bit 'cool' and since then have chaged our Feb cruises to southern routes.

I hardly consider it parka weather, ;) but it was too cool to swim. I think we hit a day in Cozumel that was only about 68º to 70º and it was breezy. The day after that it went back up to 80º...timing is everything.

November and December are great months to be in Mexico :D

Can't with our daughter's school schedule. And we can't go away during Xmas- New Years. So, we've gone that first full week around MLK. With the teacher work days and MLK, she usually misses 2 or 3 days of school for the whole trip.

But, we've found the weather pretty much makes it not worth it.

Wow! Really?

I have two in high school and one in college actually. It is difficult to work around their schedules, but it can be done.

February recess?? Easter break?? Thanksgiving break?? May?? June??

But very reliable weatherwise.

We sail in December (usually the second week) and have never been cold.

I have 2 in high school and we have been able to either go during review week or they take their exams early and we go during exam week. We can't afford to cruise during Christmas break and the pricing is great in mid-December.

August and September are the absolute worst months. We have a saying "June too soon, October all over." Far less likely to see a hurricane in May, June, October or November. It happens, but there is not nearly as much of a probability. We live on the Gulf of Mexico and are well aware of when it gets ugly hurricane-wise.

Not saying you can't, just saying if you take the chance you have to expect at some point something just might happen and you can't expect the cruiseline to take responsibility for an act of nature.

No one is "losing it all." People are going bonkers over what, $60? I would hazard a guess that the cruise fare for a 7 day cruise in August or September is probably more than $60 cheaper than the cruise fare during other months.

You cannot be serious.

I am very serious. Maybe it's because I am an avid planner and because my profession involves contract law. I check weather patterns in the ports we are visiting to make sure it is what I would like before I schedule a cruise. I also read my cruise contract to see how much of my money is at risk before I pay it. I like to be informed.

I have to say that Carnival has been the most compensating for Irene-from refunds to 2 nights in San Juan and airfare to Barbados to catch the rest of the cruise. Definitely Carnival has been the stand out of RCCL and NCL. Go Carnival:) Might be sailing with you more often.

RCCL and NCL should take a lesson on Customer Service from Carnival

I agree. I think refunding for the missed night or giving some OBC is good business.

Just because you can make it work doesn't mean everyone can. I personally would not pull my kids out of school, if you choose too that is fine. Not everyone is ok with that.

And while I have not been to Mexico and had it be cold by most standards it was too cool for me to be in the water. Everyone has a different threshold. Just like everywhere there is the one time you could get hit with the extreme, just like many on the Upper East Coast aren't used to dealing with Hurricane issues.

Had a cruise affected once the week of Thanksgiving due to a Tropical Storm, missed Key West. So things can happen in November even though it is towards the end of Hurricane season.

The only time it was cheaper to book during Hurricane Season were the times I went in late Sept. without my children, otherwise the cruiselines are charging quite a bit because the bulk of the season is during the Summer when they know families are booking. My summer cruises have cost more than my Spring Break ones. Unfortunatly SB is not always a fun time for everyone, you have more of a chance of getting obnoxious cruisers during that time. So $60? I think they are upset about more than that.

I am very serious. Maybe it's because I am an avid planner and because my profession involves contract law. I check weather patterns in the ports we are visiting to make sure it is what I would like before I schedule a cruise. I also read my cruise contract to see how much of my money is at risk before I pay it. I like to be informed.

Archived