should they be compensated?

S.S.Oceanlover

That's odd we have traveled to Mexico in December for the last 5 years and it has always been warm......

Maybe you should try December:p We have only experienced it being cool at night......

Well, we have cruised to the Bahamas in Feb and March and it was cool both times...water freezing. Also have gone to Disney in Jan and March and had to bundle up both those times too...I know Disney is not Mexico, but from where I live (MD) we can easily get to ports that only really have itins to FL and the Bahamas. If we cruise in the winter, we are doing so without our kids and then we only feel comfortable taking a short cruise...again only itins to Bahamas. Also, my girls play travel year-round softball and so we cannot really travel with the kids except for first 2 weeks in August or Christmas week. So we have to do family cruises in August and risk running into Hurricane trouble...I get that we are taking that risk, but if we pay for a 7 night cruise...I really want a bed and meals for ALL 7 nights. It is good business to make ammends if you can't provide the bed and meals for all the nights the customer paid for.

Well, we have cruised to the Bahamas in Feb and March and it was cool both times...water freezing. Also have gone to Disney in Jan and March and had to bundle up both those times too...I know Disney is not Mexico, but from where I live (MD) we can easily get to ports that only really have itins to FL and the Bahamas. If we cruise in the winter, we are doing so without our kids and then we only feel comfortable taking a short cruise...again only itins to Bahamas. Also, my girls play travel year-round softball and so we cannot really travel with the kids except for first 2 weeks in August or Christmas week. So we have to do family cruises in August and risk running into Hurricane trouble...I get that we are taking that risk, but if we pay for a 7 night cruise...I expect a bed and meals for ALL 7 nights. It is good business to make ammends if you can't provide the bed and meals for all the nights the customer paid for.

Yes I know what the temperatures are in Florida and the bahamas in the winter......and I agree with you that you should get what you paid for which was a 7 nite vacation.....we choose to cruise in Dec. because I know the risks of missing ports during hurricane season and we cruise for ports....

I am very serious. Maybe it's because I am an avid planner and because my profession involves contract law. I check weather patterns in the ports we are visiting to make sure it is what I would like before I schedule a cruise. I also read my cruise contract to see how much of my money is at risk before I pay it. I like to be informed.

Wow. Impressive. I'm only a charge nurse in a dowtown city ER that is nationally certified in treatment of strokes and heart attacks. Guess I'm not smart enough to plan like you.

For your info. We have no Feb break, our Thanksgiving break starts Wednesday and ends Sunday and there is school in May.

Here's my opinion of your own humble opinion. You lose merit when you state your opinion as fact and then dismiss your *own* "facts".

You- don't travel during Hurricane season BUT it's OK to travel in June or November because even though they ARE hurricane season, they don't count. Unless of course you're sailing then, and then it's not your fault because you aren't supposed to have hurricanes in June because it's not "really" really hurricane season.

At least I will say honestly, it's works for my family and I realize it's a possibility.

I do live on the southeast coast, BTW and am very aware of the seasons.

So, how exactly do you get your kids out of school during the second week of December? Do you have a super secret vacation week not afforded to the rest of the country? Or do you take them out?

I know you mentioned "exam week". Here exams cannot be missed as they're connected to the state and school funding...so you're obviously "working around your kids schedules" in a way that's not available to me.

Oh, and by the way, this year I have traveled

On the FOS in January.

To Hilton Head in April

To Saratoga Springs, NY in June

To Bonaire and Aruba in July

To Hilton Head Island again in August. ( I own a disney vacation club contract there- have to plan exactly 11 months out, not sure how I do it )

I'm going on the Disney Vacation Club Member's cruise in September ( with my sis- family can't go )

To Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival in October

To Saratoga Springs AGAIN for apples the end of October

To Disney the week before Xmas ( which is in my contract at work ) in December.

I probably will need some help in my vacation planning...I jeep jumbling stuff up. Maybe I should email you sometime. :rolleyes:

They booked the trip during hurricane season, they gambled and lost. Now they cry about it. Accept it, if they had trip insurance that may temper some of the loss but still they took a chance knowing full well what could happen and it did. Quit whining and crying about a lack of jugdement.

Here's some simple but effective advice, If you don't want your vacation jacked up by a hurricane. DON'T BOOK A CRUISE DURING HURRICANE SEASON.

I agree with you 100%. I will not book a cruise between June 1 & Nov 1 for that very reason.

Wow. Impressive. I'm only a charge nurse in a dowtown city ER that is nationally certified in treatment of strokes and heart attacks. Guess I'm not smart enough to plan like you.

For your info. We have no Feb break, our Thanksgiving break starts Wednesday and ends Sunday and there is school in May.

Here's my opinion of your own humble opinion. You lose merit when you state your opinion as fact and then dismiss your *own* "facts".

You- don't travel during Hurricane season BUT it's OK to travel in June or November because even though they ARE hurricane season, they don't count. Unless of course you're sailing then, and then it's not your fault because you aren't supposed to have hurricanes in June because it's not "really" really hurricane season.

At least I will say honestly, it's works for my family and I realize it's a possibility.

So, how exactly do you get your kids out of school during the second week of December? Do you have a super secret vacation week not afforded to the rest of the country? Or do you take them out?

I know you mentioned "exam week". Here exams cannot be missed as they're connected to the state and school funding...so you're obviously "working around your kids schedules" in a way that's not available to me.

On the FOS in January.

To Hilton Head in April

To Hilton Head Island again in August. ( I own a disney vacation club contract there- have to plan exactly 11 months out, not sure how I do it )

I'm going on the Disney Vacation Club Member's cruise in September ( with my sis- family can't go )

I probably will need some help in my vacation planning...I jeep jumbling stuff up. Maybe I should email you sometime. :rolleyes:

Wow! Bitter & stinging are we?????????????????

On the FOS in January.

To Hilton Head in April

I so agree with you. We lived in NC for several years and my kids went to year round schools where they had a 3 week break in September....we loved to vacation then...still warm, less crowded and cheaper. Well worth the 'risk' of a hurricane. I miss year round schooling. We also own DVC points (at OKW). We're looking to add on at HH because it's not as easy to shoot down to Disney here from MD as it was from NC and HH is difficult to get in August at 7 months out...but I suppose I should avoid it as it's the 'risky' season. :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%. I will not book a cruise between June 1 & Nov 1 for that very reason.

I had tickets to the baseball game here over the weekend which got washed out because of the hurricane.

I contacted the stadium and they said the 45,000 others and myself don't get refunds.

They said that's the chance we take during hurricane season.:rolleyes:

Bill

I had tickets to the baseball game here over the weekend which got washed out because of the hurricane.

I contacted the stadium and they said the 45,000 others and myself don't get refunds.

Bill

That's just scummy! And they won't let you use your tickets for another game? Our minor league team lets you use any ticket (past, future or present) to get into any game (I think there are a few blackout games like July 4th). Though the stadium is never full...so they want you in there spending money. I'm guessing your's is always a packed stadium.

Bill

Since the game wasn't played wouldn't they reschedule it:confused: You know like when concerts get cancelled?

Wow! Bitter & stinging are we?????????????????

If you have a chance, read a bit further up in the thread (maybe comment # 123 or so) and you'll see what this was in response to...it will make sense then, I think.

Some on here make it a point to inform us just how smart they are rather than being friendly and giving decent advice. It makes this board nearly unreadable.

That's just scummy! And they won't let you use your tickets for another game? Our minor league team lets you use any ticket (past, future or present) to get into any game (I think there are a few blackout games like July 4th). Though the stadium is never full...so they want you in there spending money. I'm guessing your's is always a packed stadium.

I'm pretty sure SS Oceanlover is refering to my beloved Philadelphia Phillies. :)

You can use the postponed tickets only for the rescheduled game. The problem is, those games are usually rescheduled for a 1:00PM start, and nine times out of ten, it is usually a weekday series, so if the person works a M-F 9-5 schedule and can not take the afternoon off, they are usually out of luck.

I am a Phillies season ticket holder and have many times had to give away tickets in situations just like that because I usually can not take off an afternoon during the week to get to the game.

I'm pretty sure SS Oceanlover is refering to my beloved Philadelphia Phillies. :)

You can use the postponed tickets only for the rescheduled game. The problem is, those games are usually rescheduled for a 1:00PM start, and nine times out of ten, it is usually a weekday series, so if the person works a M-F 9-5 schedule and can not take the afternoon off, they are usually out of luck.

I am a Phillies season ticket holder and have many times had to give away tickets in situations just like that because I usually can not take off an afternoon during the week to get to the game.

hey they are my beloved Phillies.:D

and to Laumicmah yes it would be scummy. Just like if I paid for a 7 day cruise and only got 6 with no refund for the other day.

When all is said and done I think NCL will come through.:)

Bill

FYI - hurricane season doesn't end until November 30th. It would be a real shame if one were to occur during the week that you are cruising in November and cut short your cruise.

On the FOS in January.

To Hilton Head in April

I never claimed to be smarter than anyone. I said I am a planner - a bit OCD about it - and I research a lot. Does this always work 100%? No. It poured rain on us on our last cruise 2 out of 4 ports. Stuff happens.

I threw those out there as ideas - I don't know where you live, you don't know where I live and have no idea what your school breaks are. Just thoughts.

My kids schools are very accomodating and have allowed early testing for them so their exams will be done before we leave, and before anyone flames me - I have one who will graduate high school with his associates degree along with his diploma and another who will attend a large university next Fall on scholarship, so their studies have not suffered.

Having lived in a hurricane zone for several years, I happen to know that a hurricane in June or November is far more rare than a hurricane in August or September. I live it. It's on my news all day, every day for six months of every year. I did not discount my own fact. Hurricane season is from June to November, but the HEIGHT of the season when we see the most activity is August and September and I have stated that (i.e. June too soon, October all over).

Charlie was great fun, our kids were in portables for years - luckily Wilma hit a bit South of us - I have seen my share in the last few years. At least I got a brand new roof!

Congratulations on all of your travel. Wish I could afford to take my family on all of those vacations. Even though I can't since I am working a second job to pay for my cruise, I still won't be punishing a cruise line for an act of God by demanding a refund if a hurricane costs me one day of my cruise. Guess I'm not as smart or as financially well healed as you are. Again, my congratulations on your success.

My opinion is exactly that, mine, just as your opinion is yours. That's the beauty of these boards, everyone doesn't have to agree with everyone else. It would be pretty boring if they did!

I never claimed to be smarter than anyone. I said I am a planner - a bit OCD about it - and I research a lot. Does this always work 100%? No. It poured rain on us on our last cruise 2 out of 4 ports. Stuff happens.

!

LOL..Mother Nature doesn't give a rats butt how OCD you are.

There are weather incidents outside of hurricane season as well. And yeah, your post came off a bit condescending.

If you have a chance, read a bit further up in the thread (maybe comment # 123 or so) and you'll see what this was in response to...it will make sense then, I think.

Some on here make it a point to inform us just how smart they are rather than being friendly and giving decent advice. It makes this board nearly unreadable.

I don't see anyplace in that post where I said I was smarter than anyone. I just was trying to respond in a clear fashion to each point by addressing each individually.

And this is a thread for opinions, not advice. Obviously I have an unpopular opinion.

LOL..Mother Nature doesn't give a rats butt how OCD you are.

There are weather incidents outside of hurricane season as well. And yeah, your post came off a bit condescending.

Really didn't mean it to. And yeah, I know she doesn't - hence the pouring rain in Belize and Grand Cayman - we just figured we were wet anyway and went snorkeling! And yes, it was outside of hurricane season - December - but that actually kind of makes the point in a roundabout way. Weather happens. It can spoil a port, it can cause missing a port, it can make it unsafe to sail for a day. Whatever the case, the lines are not duty bound to refund anything. If they do, great, if they don't there really isn't anything the vacationer can do.

I have stated that (i.e. June too soon, October all over). !

Tell that to my friend in Ft. Lauderdale. There was that terrible hurricane during October that her husband died in. (and it was only a few years back, so dont act like it cant happen). The one that came in from the gulf side and everyone said oh the land will slow it down, dont worry Ft. Lauderdale .. it hit with a vengence.

There is a reason they extended hurricane season thru the end of Nov.

Tell that to my friend in Ft. Lauderdale. There was that terrible hurricane during October that her husband died in. (and it was only a few years back, so dont act like it cant happen). The one that came in from the gulf side and everyone said oh the land will slow it down, dont worry Ft. Lauderdale .. it hit with a vengence.

There is a reason they extended hurricane season thru the end of Nov.

First off, very sorry for your friend's loss. That is horrible. Hurricane's are terrifying - their force is not even something you can put into words.

Again, I didn't say it CAN'T happen in October, just that there is more activity in August and September - the height of the season. My son is the "weather guru" and could explain it much better since he is fascinated by it, all I know is that it has to do with the water temperature.

Really didn't mean it to. And yeah, I know she doesn't - hence the pouring rain in Belize and Grand Cayman - we just figured we were wet anyway and went snorkeling! And yes, it was outside of hurricane season - December - but that actually kind of makes the point in a roundabout way. Weather happens. It can spoil a port, it can cause missing a port, it can make it unsafe to sail for a day. Whatever the case, the lines are not duty bound to refund anything. If they do, great, if they don't there really isn't anything the vacationer can do.

Missing a port is one thing but missing a day or two off your vacation is completely different.......

I would rather take my chances during the long hurricane season than to go swimming in the winter - no matter how close I am to the equator.

As a Floridian, sometimes it feels like hurricane season lasts all year. I just plan what I like; otherwise I would miss out on some truly beautiful travel.

And yeah, I think if you pay for 7 days, you should get 7 days or compensation. I think the risk of sailing during Hurricane season should be the company's, not the consumer's. BUT, I also feel like itinerary changes (such as port stops, schedules, etc) are expected and do not require compensation. Okay, okay - it's just my opinion. ;)

just a question for all those who say "they gambled and lost", "thats the risk you take", "read the contract" , "shouldn't get anything", etc, etc. suppose its the height of hurricane season, and the cruise right before yours has engine trouble and arrives a day late, thereby shortening your cruise by 1 day, do you think you are entitled to anything? judging by your responses I would say no. of course, imo yes you should be compensated for the missed day, as should those who missed a day because of the weather.

Archived