should they be compensated?

S.S.Oceanlover

but they would never do that, so your point is moot.

I don't understand why it is a moot point. Granted it is really unlikely that any of the lines would ever actually cancel a cruise and not refund anything, talk about killing your brand, but they have put that wording into the contract in more than one place to give themselves the ability to do it, so they certainly want that option open to them.

I never say never when a company puts wording in a contract that gives them right to do something.

I had tickets to the baseball game here over the weekend which got washed out because of the hurricane.

I contacted the stadium and they said the 45,000 others and myself don't get refunds.

They said that's the chance we take during hurricane season.:rolleyes:

Bill

Actually the funny thing about this is you could make that apple to oranges comparison here. If you paid to see a baseball game and it got called after the 7th inning due to rain, would you excpet 2/9 of your ticket money back?

But seriously, I would like to think that the cruise company would step up and take care of their customers. I was delayed about 8 hours on my last cruise and we got 20.00 PP OBC and I was thrilled.

I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks how I truly feel, but I do think it's a risk you take for cruising during hurricaine season...and you got a helluva discount for doing so...and that's what cruise insurance is for...and probably why most don't kick in unless 1/2 your cruise is delayed/cancelled/whatever.

BUT, if I'm looking for this cruise vacation to be a relaxing getaway and it rains or storms all day every day, am I entitled to anything then? I didn't book this cruise to be stuck inside every day.

I relaize they don't have to, but maybe they should in good faith. But if this was YOUR business, what would you do? Does the TA have to give back 1/7 of their commission? How would you feel if you got an extra day or 2 on the ship and the cruisline asked you for more money?

I guess I will find out in a couple of weeks how I truly feel, but I do think it's a risk you take for cruising during hurricaine season...and you got a helluva discount for doing so...?

Seriously??????

i think everybody should be compensated for everything. Hard bed, cigarette on balcony, late food, no shrimp cocktail, engine noise, kids on board, rude people, jeans in dining room, room service takes too long, bad seas, too rough to tender, wrong birth certificate, meatloaf, taking away your booze, long lines, no more free booze, don't have your brand beer/soda, flatiron steak, bad weather, sewer small, loud music, blah, blah, blah, all should be compensated for by the cruise line. It's only fair.

bahhahahahahahahaha!!! Love it!!!

Weather is an interesting issue... I had a flight delayed in NYC in May due to mechanical problems and was set up in a hotel and given a meals voucher. Others standing in the same line whose flight was cancelled due to weather got nothing. Weather is completely beyond the control of the supplier, so they are not legally responsible if it interferes - as stated in the contacts we agree to when we purchase our tickets.

That being said, as so many have noted, good customer relations are important also, which I'm sure is why, from what I understood reading the thread, NCL is giving everyone a $100 OBC (though apparently the amount may differ). I personally think this is fair. One of the passengers posted that she spoke to a rep and was assured they would still have the same amount of time in port, so all they're missing are some meals and one night's entertainment/accommodation. The meals and entertainment are identical no matter what cabin you're booked in, so the value of said items can be determined by the cheapest cabin on board. For those who have chosen higher category cabins, I can see them being annoyed that they aren't being compensated 'porportionately', but the OBC is covering the base services that are being missed... the choice to pay extra for a butler is as beyond NCL's control as the weather.

Hurricane season starts in June. Some of the most expensive cruise fares are during the summer months when the kids are out of school. I know that the Pride sailings in July and August are out-of-sight cost wise. Those cruisers have paid a premium, not received a discount.

When a sailing is delayed (or shortened) due to weather there are presumably some savings to the cruise line, i.e. fuel costs, food, etc.

It's one thing to expect reimbursement for having weather interfere with the enjoyment of your cruise despite the cruiseline's best efforts; it's quite another to expect reimbursement for a trip not taken. Why would anyone not expect a refund for the portion of the trip not received?

While I agree that it is the "right" thing to do, no one should "expect" it because the cruise line is not required to provide a refund and we all accept that fact when we book our cruises. Someone quoted one section of the contract a couple of pages back and it is stated again in a different section of the contract.

While I agree that it is the "right" thing to do, no one should "expect" it because the cruise line is not required to provide a refund and we all accept that fact when we book our cruises. Someone quoted one section of the contract a couple of pages back and it is stated again in a different section of the contract.

I would expect a refund they were to cancel or cut short my vacation......

And I hope they never let you down, but if you read the post on the previous page you will see a post containing section 6 of the contract that says they can cancel the whole darn cruise and not be required to reimburse anything. Says the same thing in section 7 of the contract.

And I hope they never let you down, but if you read the post on the previous page you will see a post containing section 6 of the contract that says they can cancel the whole darn cruise and not be required to reimburse anything. Says the same thing in section 7 of the contract.

Again we think that is really a moot point unless they want to shoot themselves in the foot.........I think we all would expect them to do the right thing......

I guess working for lawyers has made me cynical. I look at it like if they didn't want to exercise the option, they never would have put it in the contract. And when they put it in the contract more than once, it makes me even more cynical.

Hopefully no one will ever have to find out for sure! Fingerscrossed for fantastic weather!

Actually the funny thing about this is you could make that apple to oranges comparison here. If you paid to see a baseball game and it got called after the 7th inning due to rain, would you excpet 2/9 of your ticket money back?

But seriously, I would like to think that the cruise company would step up and take care of their customers. I was delayed about 8 hours on my last cruise and we got 20.00 PP OBC and I was thrilled.

If the game was tied at the end of seven you would get a "raincheck" allowing you to return for the finish.

If one team was ahead, then the game would be complete and you got what you paid for....

If cruising during hurricane season makes me "stupid", then just how smart is a large corporation that owns ships and sells cruises during hurricane season? Half the year is hurricane season, using that logic cruise lines should just not cruise during hurricane season.

Some of my best cruises have been during hurricane season. I realize during hurricane season there might be itinerary changes, problems getting to ports, rocking ships, etc. I agree with the previous poster that said if the cruise line is willing to operate during hurricane season they should assume the cost of doing business, including compensating passengers for missed vacation days.

Interesting thought about being "stuck" on a ship an extra day or two because of a hurricane, I would love this to happen to me but it could also be looked at as an expensive ordeal if you end up missing work or having to pay more for your flight home, pet care, child care, etc. I would not expect to be compensated for this, but I can see how some would expect it.

I am glad NCL did the right thing. My experience with NCL is they will not do the right thing unless they feel pressured to do it. I have cruised on NCL only 2 times, one time was "Ok" another was what I call the worst cruise I have ever been on...however we still enjoyed our cruise. Would I ever cruise them again? Not so sure...even if it was free.

If you cruise during hurricane season you are essentially playing a game of chicken with Mother Nature. That is why you PAY LESS this time of year. If you want to take advantage of the lower prices, you also have to accept it when you don't win that game of chicken. If you don't like the risk, you should pay the extra money and cruise at another time of year.

I don't think there should be compensation for missing a day due to a hurricane any more that I think I should be compensated because it rained all day the day we were in Grand Cayman. There are no guaranties and when you accept your cruise contract you accept that fact.

If more people actually read these contracts there would be fewer unrealistic expectations.

I guess everyone has the right to be wrong when it comes to their opinions. Cruise fairs are not less this time of year simply because of Mother Nature. Cruise fares are set because of supply and demand. In June, July and August (Hurricane Season) cruise prices are pretty much at a peak. That falls off in September and slowly starts to rise in mid to late october. A good portion of that is because of hurricanes, but it is also due to people taking their vacations in the summer and kids school schedule.

As for the question at hand, I believe that I have paid for a service when I booked with Carnival. That service includes x amount of nights of in a cabin and food while I'm on board. If one of those nights are cancelled, they are failing to provide that service, which I have paid for, so, IMO, there should be some sort of compensation. Now for Missed ports, the only compensation I would worry about is port taxes, as that is paid to be paid to the government of the port you are visiting and is an unnecessary charge if the port is missed.

I do understand what the contract says, though I'm not sure how well an nonnegotiable contract would stand up in court. I also understand proper customer care. Now what some people now believe is those folks that missed their cruise on the Splendor because it caught fire before they sailed just had tough luck and should have lost their entire vacation because that is what the contract says.

Just posted this on Heroes and Zeros and thought I'd add it here-just my 2 cents

There were 7 in our party last week on Carnival Conquest out of Galveston to The Bahamas. We were told by the captain on Monday that we would be heading to Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Progresso instead because of Irene. We specifically picked this cruise for the itinerary. Only thing refunded were port charges for places we didn’t visit. Had we been told on Sunday before leaving that the itinerary had changed we could have cancelled with our Travel Guard. Did Carnival know on Sunday that they would be avoiding the Bahamas? Probably. So, we visited places we had all been to before (and had no desire to return to)but we were safe and all in all had a good time.

[/b]

Absolutely correct, and as long as you are on board the ship waiting to leave a day late you have no recourse. If they don't provide the ship for you to board on the contracted day then you are entitled to fair compensation until the ship is provided.

It is unclear to me as to whether the pax are on the ship and it left late or they were not allowed to board.

If the former is the case, then I say they owe them nothing. Pax are still on board, eating, hanging out, etc. This happened to the Triumph a few weeks ago when it didnt leave NO until 11pm (I knew some travelers on that sailing), and several weeks following, and they gave no compensation, to my knowledge.

If the latter is the case, I would be suprised and disappointed if nothing was done for those pax.

To those who say that the cruise line shouldn't be expected to refund- If you booked a 7 night stay at a hotel and the hotel had some situation and cancels your first night, would you expect to pay for the canceled night? If your dentist calls to cancel an appointment, would you expect to pay the missed appointment fee?

I don't think anyone is saying they WANT to see a pax lose anything, be it a port, a day, or an entire cruise.

I think the difference of opinion has to do with how people percieve what HAS to be compensated.

The only point I am trying to make is that should the cruise line CHOOSE to, they have the legal right under the contract that we all ACCEPT by paying our cruise fare and booking the cruise to cancel all or any portion of the cruise without compensation to the passenger.

I am not saying I think this is the right thing to do. What I am saying is we can all discuss how we will expect, or demand or are entitled to compensation; however, under the contract that simply is NOT the case. And the contract would be fully enforceable since we are each made aware of it and give our tacit consent to its provisions by booking passage.

Would I like it if it happened to me? NO! But would I understand that is exactly what I signed up for? Unfortunately, yes.

My parents are doing the Bahamas itinerary on the Magic out of Galveston 5/13/12 - we are hoping too as well. We want to do this trip strictly for the itinerary but would still understand if they had to change it. We would be disappointed but would make the best of it. I'm glad you had a good time either way and that you returned safely. Now you have an excuse to book it again and hopefully you can in the near future.

Just posted this on Heroes and Zeros and thought I'd add it here-just my 2 cents

There were 7 in our party last week on Carnival Conquest out of Galveston to The Bahamas. We were told by the captain on Monday that we would be heading to Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Progresso instead because of Irene. We specifically picked this cruise for the itinerary. Only thing refunded were port charges for places we didn’t visit. Had we been told on Sunday before leaving that the itinerary had changed we could have cancelled with our Travel Guard. Did Carnival know on Sunday that they would be avoiding the Bahamas? Probably. So, we visited places we had all been to before (and had no desire to return to)but we were safe and all in all had a good time.

Archived