ALASKA Pics, show us your best!

Rockfordcruiser

A SLR digital camera is a good one to have... My personal choice a Nikon D3100 we have two lenses and I'm forever changing them around depending on the close up or zoom that I require. I would say if you want to get really close up shots get a macro lens too.... Really depends on how deep you are willing to go into the world of photography.

I am not technically minded and do tend to point and shoot too however if you look at your photo subject from various angles and viewpoints then sometimes you will get that perfect capture..... Saying that the more you take the better you will hopefully get as you will work out what photo subjects are your bests bits of work..... For example for me it is flowers, animals and still life... Other people are great at portraits and architecture, you will develop your own styles and techniques.

There are so many cameras out there at least with a digital camera you can delete the ones you done want! Last time we did a cruise tour to Alaska with RC we took over 4000 photo's!!!!

A SLR digital camera is a good one to have... My personal choice a Nikon D3100 we have two lenses and I'm forever changing them around depending on the close up or zoom that I require. I would say if you want to get really close up shots get a macro lens too.... Really depends on how deep you are willing to go into the world of photography.

I am not technically minded and do tend to point and shoot too however if you look at your photo subject from various angles and viewpoints then sometimes you will get that perfect capture..... Saying that the more you take the better you will hopefully get as you will work out what photo subjects are your bests bits of work..... For example for me it is flowers, animals and still life... Other people are great at portraits and architecture, you will develop your own styles and techniques.

There are so many cameras out there at least with a digital camera you can delete the ones you done want! Last time we did a cruise tour to Alaska with RC we took over 4000 photo's!!!!

We moved up from the basic point-and-shoot to a DSLR last year before out Alaska trip (Canon t3i, stock lens + a 55-250mm zoom). Glad we did, as we got some really nice high res pics with zoom that wouldn't have turned out nearly as well.

HOWEVER, for anyone thing of "taking the plunge" to a DSLR, just be aware that it's more than just a money commitment ($1000+, probably $1500+ with a zoom lens and other accessories). It's a space commitment too.

By that, I mean it's no longer just a little camera that you can throw in a pocket or a fanny pack. It's something of significant size and weight that you have to lug around, and plan accordingly for. Especially on something like a cruise. You don't just throw it in a carry-on bag, it BECOMES one of your carry-on bags. Which means is displaces another bag you might normally carry. Also, when you head out from the ship for an 8-hour excursion, you're stuck carrying it around all day. Depending on how much you mind being a pack mule, that can be a consideration too.

Don't get me wrong - I love mine and I'm glad we got it. But there are logistics to consider before buying one of these things. One lens isn't enough. You eventually always pop for a more powerful zoom lens (bigger and heavier). Then you try different bags to lug it all around. Maybe add a lightweight tripod. Extra batteries are a must. And the charger. And the manual. And a microfiber cloth. etc. etc. etc. It all adds up... cost, size, weight.

Edited by dbsb3233

Agreed on the DSLR - just upgraded mine to the Canon 60D.

While the cost can be pricey, one option is to rent lenses. I am renting a 100/400L for our 7/13 cruise. Heard great reviews on renting lenses, and the price (for the lens i rented) is about 10% of price of the lens.

Will hopefully be adding some pics to the already great pics in this thread.

Cheers -

JJ

We moved up from the basic point-and-shoot to a DSLR last year before out Alaska trip (Canon t3i, stock lens + a 55-250mm zoom). Glad we did, as we got some really nice high res pics with zoom that wouldn't have turned out nearly as well.

HOWEVER, for anyone thing of "taking the plunge" to a DSLR, just be aware that it's more than just a money commitment ($1000+, probably $1500+ with a zoom lens and other accessories). It's a space commitment too.

By that, I mean it's no longer just a little camera that you can throw in a pocket or a fanny pack. It's something of significant size and weight that you have to lug around, and plan accordingly for. Especially on something like a cruise. You don't just throw it in a carry-on bag, it BECOMES one of your carry-on bags. Which means is displaces another bag you might normally carry. Also, when you head out from the ship for an 8-hour excursion, you're stuck carrying it around all day. Depending on how much you mind being a pack mule, that can be a consideration too.

Don't get me wrong - I love mine and I'm glad we got it. But there are logistics to consider before buying one of these things. One lens isn't enough. You eventually always pop for a more powerful zoom lens (bigger and heavier). Then you try different bags to lug it all around. Maybe add a lightweight tripod. Extra batteries are a must. And the charger. And the manual. And a microfiber cloth. etc. etc. etc. It all adds up... cost, size, weight.

Very good advice! I recently purchased my first dslr and had the same concerns. What I decided is that my point and shoot is going to be packed with the rest of my gear and that will allow me an option to go "light" when a dslr is going to be more of a burden than blessing.

I also have the Nikon 3100. I have the standard lens, the zoom lens (can't remember what strength) and a zoom to 300mm lens. I got lucky and found someone selling it on facebook and got a great bargain that I couldn't pass up!

I also bought a camera backpack from someone on facebook and we used it on our cruise this spring. It's not that much more than carrying a purse around.

But anyway, let's get back to the photos!! :)

We head back to Alaska for a 2-week land trip a week from today and I can't wait! The photos are great! I'll add some new shots when we return, but meanwhile, a couple favorites from 2012.

05-DSCN0883.JPG

Shot from Michelle's Beaver de Havilland over Misty Fjiords National Monument.

DSCN0564_edited-1.JPG

Sunny day in Skagway Harbor

DSCN0646_edited-1.JPG

Bear along Yukon Highway (w/Chilkoot Charters)

DSCN0542_edited-1.JPG

Approaching Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay Nat'l Park

Please add some more Alaska photos....we have been enjoying them all. We were too early for bears on our cruise since salmon were not running yet? Does anyone have any recent bear photos from this season?

Thanks

Please add some more Alaska photos....we have been enjoying them all. We were too early for bears on our cruise since salmon were not running yet? Does anyone have any recent bear photos from this season?

Thanks

We saw a bear in the distance on the beach during our Kenai Fjords cruise a couple weeks ago, and one crossed our path on the way to Exit Glacier. But the most fun one was when a momma bear and two babies crossed the road right in front of our van and ate dandelions beside us on the way to the Yukon from Skagway:

9194911194_68553a7ca9_c.jpg

9194913922_9b3916bc85_c.jpg

9192122443_ef89cee3f3_c.jpg

9192124195_bfe3681979_c.jpg

9194922474_5202da493a_c.jpg

It WAS too early to see them in the streams feeding on salmon, because we were about a week and a half before the salmon were running. I don't know if you saw the post, but there is a very addictive webcam showing bears feeding on salmon: EXPLORE

I realize this is a basic thing people using a computer should know, but how do you send a link to someone for a thread - this one specifically - to someone via email?

Which browser are you using? I usually use Chrome, which has an "email page location" option under FILE; or Safari, which has a "share" option, also under FILE.

For any browser, you can also go to the address bar, copy the full address, then paste that into an email.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

These are my Mt McKinley shots from the train back to anchorage. It had snowed the day before and during the night. [sept 8-9, 2013] The Denali road was closed until noon. when we rounded the corner to get out first glimpse of Mt McKinley there was not a cloud in the sky and the snow was blowing off the south face.

IMG_5856.jpg

Close up of the same shot.

IMG_5852.jpg

Another beautiful shot from the train

IMG_5849.jpg

I loved this beaver house.

closeupofbeaver.jpg

OMG! Glaciers, I was just scrolling down the pictures & didn't see what you had posted at first & my first thought was, "OMG! A UNICORN!" LOL! Knowing very well there is no such thing, but that's what I thought of when I saw that big goat jumping across the rocks! I called my daughter in to look at the picture & before I said anything to her she said the same thing! OMG, I thought that was a unicorn at first! I said that's EXACTLY what I saw at first too! So ya, unicorn's exist & live in Alaska!

I'm absolutely LOVING all of everyone's pictures! I am SO ready to go now!!!

• 10 months later...

What a great thread. We are heading out in a few weeks and can't wait.

Here are a few from our 2012 visit.

GLACIER BAY - the water was this beautiful Jade/turquoise and so calm and serene. A highlight for sure!

14193003278_cc9fdf188e_b.jpg

14356521246_fde4fd3afc_c.jpg

14379617395_1848ed2b7c_c.jpg

The little coloured specs at the bottom right of the photo are kayaks. This gives you the scale of the Margerie Glacier.

14193059000_993706f5d8_c.jpg

Porpoises right below our balcony - inside passage

14356520146_e4f5b69c2a_c.jpg

Skagway, White Pass - from the Train

14193005928_b4400bf4f8_c.jpg