Millennium-- Is the ship up to Celebrity standards?

sail2day

I've been reading member reviews and the boards concerning the condition of the Millennium and most of the comments have been negative. Most posters say that the ship is in real need of drydock. We have booked a 4 night Western Caribbean cruise in October and are a bit concerned.

I've been reading member reviews and the boards concerning the condition of the Millennium and most of the comments have been negative. Most posters say that the ship is in real need of drydock. We have booked a 4 night Western Caribbean cruise in October and are a bit concerned.

What is your cabin designation? It may be that some assessments may be influenced by the passenger's cabin choice.

A lot of reviews tend to be overly negative. While its been a couple years since we sailed Millennium we found her in great shape despite a few comments on the boards from posters who felt otherwise. We've had similar experiances on other ships as well.

Also, while the Millennium is maintained well she does show her age in some areas. That doesn't bother most cruisers and they'll have a great time on this great ship. But if you are one of those who wouldn't be happy on a ship that doesn't look and feel brand new then you might be happier on a one of the newer S class ships than on the 11 year old Millennnium regardless of how well maintained she is.

No need for your concern. The Millie is in great shape and has a wonderful crew. Go and enjoy! :)

We sailed on the Millennium just this past March. She was absolutely beautiful. Perhaps those people with the negative comments are CSI and travel with flashlights to look into every corner. Could we have found things if we had looked? I am sure we could have.

We have sailed older ships and we have sailed newer ships. We now sail for itinerary and price, not the ship. After all, at my age, I show signs of aging!

I always take negative reviews with a grain of salt. I've been on the same cruise as folks who have gone on to write a very negative review of the ship and I couldn't understand how/why they were of that opinion.

The ship is a little old but trust me, it will be in good shape. If you want to spend your time looking for things I'm sure you'll find a few. Relax, enjoy yourself and don't worry about it.

We were on the Milli in May for a coastal cruise. There were some signs of age if you looked closely but nothing that detracted from the cruise. The only notable thing was that the T-pool was closed for a repair for less than a day.

We had a great time on the Milli and hope you do as well!

We sailed the Millenium this past June. We thought all of her public spaces looked wonderful and the crew we met were great. But, unlike our other Celebrity cruises, we had issues with our cabin. We stayed in an Ocean View for the first time, and, personally, I fell there should be NO issues no matter what type of a cabin you are in. Yes, the Millenium is getting older, but all of us who cruise, want a clean and well maintained ship. If you have an issue you need to complain. We did complain and we got immediate results.:)

I realize we get concerned over negative reviews, and tend to concentrate on such, but of the 28 reivews since May, 5 were 5+, 13 were 5, 4 were a 4, 2 at 3, 1 at 2 and 2 were 1's. That averages 4.8...not exactly most of the comments being negative....most were not only postive but well above average. I read the 5 negatives; one was written by a poster who had started a thread prior to the cruise complaining bitterly that they couldn't get specific itineraries for the pre-cruise Alaska tour, and the majority of the Review was about that issue they carried aboard. And another post stated none of the meals or dining venues were acceptable...all were bad. I'm afraid I don't really listen or give any legitamacy to reviews that can't find anything edible, and one of their multi-sentence complaints was the waiter brought their second entree and put it on her plate...horrific. Let me get this straight - all the meals were medocure or bad, so they ordered Two entrees.....I guess that way, they didn't enjoy it twice as much at one seating. I personally would have demanded all my cruise costs be refunded immediately.

OK, I've now trashed a few negative reviews. Negative reviews are as legit as postive, especially since few of us are there to judge differently, but do keep in mind, once someone has a bad experience, in their subjective opinon, some people allow it to color their view of their entire experience.

There is only one person who will control whether you enjoy your cruise, and getting worried after reading a few out of many negatives is not a smart way to go. Celebrity, just as most Lines, have many repeat customers and can you really believe they'd have one ship in their inventory that was poorly kept up? I've had some negative experiences on cruises and I try to keep them in perspective. There are cruise lines I prefer and others I probably won't even try, but I bet even those that don't meet my personal needs and wants, I'd still enjoy the cruise overall.

Hope you enjoy!

Den

Milli was my very first X- ship- back in 2001 , just after her debut. Comeing from RCI I found the experience much more refined- anyway- with all those new ships comeing out every year, I suppose people are a bit spoiled and more used to brand new ships - right out of the ship- yard. No matter how good taken care of- even right after a refurb a ten year old ship stays a ten year old ship- and when you want to find something looking that age- you probably find it.

Michael

My first cruise was on the Millenium and she was and I am sure still is a beautiful ship. Not as "new" as the Solstice class, but still a very classy ship and a wonderful crew. Even though she was older, I enjoyed the trip enough to book another Millenium class ship for a longer cruise and again found no fault.

Thanks to all of the posters and their comments. We are traveling in a concierge cabin on deck 8. Based on the comments I am sure we will have a great time and enjoy the ship and crew.

We recently sailed on the Eclipse and had one of the best cruises ever.

:)

We just got off the Milie (Sept. 2) and felt she was in great shape. We had a wonderful Concierge cabin on deck 8. Our cabin attendant was attentive, but not intrusive. He tried hard to make our cruise a trip of wonderful experiences. Our waiter and asst. waiter couldn't have been nicer. Both deserved and got an extra tip at the end of our cruise. We ate all the main meals in the dining room and the food was delicious. Let the waiter know the first night if you need any special foods and they bend over backwards to give you what you need. You won't be disappointed. We did not see any major repair work needed and I went all over the ship. Have fun. Wish I were back there right now.

I think the key is setting your expectations. We are on the same sailing of the Mille. I'm not expecting that it will look like a brand new ship. I was on the Summit last year (the ships aren't that far apart in age) and I remember thinking that it was in good condition for it's age. I did see a little wear in the pool area and you could find a few rust stains, chipped paint but trust me that type stuff shouldn't ruin the cruise.

Before I went on that sailing there was a lady who posted a review of the Summit. She had me worried. She had photographed every area of the ship that showed wear. I expected to board a really run down ship. When I got on board I did see a few of the things that she described but most I couldn't find. I also couldn't help but think she must have spent the majority of her cruise "looking" for wear and tear. It really wasn't as obvious as she made it seem by her review. So, we'll go and have a good time. Millenium will show a little age, but I'm sure it won't be bad at all.

Thanks for all your input- I'm not exactly "hijacking" the OP's posting, but I was a little worried too- my first and only cruise was on the Solstice last Spring, and I was afraid I might have been spoiled.. but since I fell in love with Celebrity and couldn't wait to go again, I'm totally thrilled that the Millie may have that touch of "old world class" to experience.. thanks!!!

We just got off the Millie a week ago. Cabin and public areas were all fine and immaculate. The only area I noticed in need of attention was some of the public rest rooms, loose locks and handles and screws popping loose. We also saw a lot of maintenance going on, such as balcony rails being replaced. The staff was great.

Mary Lou

Archived