Remembering 9-11

Orator

I just want to thank those who have contributed to this discussion. There is a another thread "smuggling" where some of the folks believe that people on these boards just don't want to contribute to a meaningful topic. Your participate seems to indicate the opposite. Thank you.

Amen to all above (in two senses: above this posting, and above us all in Heaven).

All our worries and complaints drop away (as Paul said) in the light of this so much more important, tragic, uplifting, infamous, and bonding experience.

I don't think I could express the deep feelings I have on the subject in a few lines on a cruise message board but certainly applaud those who can do so. The point I was trying to make is that I'm sure most of the people here are very sensitive to the meaning of the anniversary of 9-11 and it's not necessary to interpret a lack of response to your thread as a lack of interest and concern about the subject. Bravo to those who have responded to you, but please don't insult those who haven't. There's no possible way you could know what's in their hearts.

I just want to thank those who have contributed to this discussion. There is a another thread "smuggling" where some of the folks believe that people on these boards just don't want to contribute to a meaningful topic. Your participate seems to indicate the opposite. Thank you.

Thank you, Orator , for starting this discussion.

9-11 changed all our lives in some way.

I am not ashamed to say God Bless America.

Thank you to everyone who has shared.

Here in the UK we have been remembering 9/11 all weeks. I have found the most moving commemorations the 9/11 Letters on Radio 4. You may like to listen to them whilst they are still available [the first will start disappearing in 3 days]. Just click on "listen again":

Sue

Thank you so much for sharing these links. I have been listening to them the last hour or so and they are very touching and bring back a ton of memories. It seems like it happened just yesterday.

I just want to say how moving it was to sail into Cape Liberty early on a Sunday morning from our July Summit cruise, and contemplate how the skyline of New York has been forever altered just as our lives have all changed. I encourage anyone using the Bayonne port to get up early and just absorb it .We live in New England but our daughter was in school in Philadelphia for several years, and we drove often down the New Jersey Turnpike and past that sight, including a few days before the attack. We were in NYC for a weekend in May and went down to Ground Zero, the first time we have felt ready to actually go there, and I must say, it was incredibly moving. As I am sure we are all saying early on this morning of September 11, 2011 ---- God Bless America.

Out of reverence for the name of God, many Jewish people do not write or speak the word. Jewish law prohibits erasing or defacing the name of God, and observant Jewish people will use G-D or G!D and will not use any name of God casually for that reason.

Thank you. I didn't know that.

My wife and I and our friends were aboard the Mercury and had just docked at Sitka, Alaska when we learned of the attack on New York and Washington. We are from New Jersey and Pennsylvania respectively. I will never forget how wonderful everyone was, the local Alaskans, the crew and the ship's officers. Upon our arrival in Vancouver we could not get to our homes because all flights had been cancelled. Celebrity set up Infinity as a floating hotel. They fed us and took good care of us for four days until we were cleared to sail to Seattle and fly home. The residents of Vancouver were equally kind and went out of their way to treat Americans with love and respect. We are all committed Celebrity customers because of the extraordinary treatment we received. We also remember those in Alaska and Canada who were so kind during that difficult period.

I won't be watching any TV today.I just can't. Just reading this thread has me in tears. I live in NY. A classmate of my son died in the Towers. My husband and I drove down one of the Avenues in the city a couple of days after the attack. There was a sea of posted signs with pictures of loved ones. "Have you seen my husband", "Anyone know the whereabouts of my son" Block after block after block of these desperate notices.

The young (22 year old) son of a dear friend was caught in the cloud and could not find cover. He died two years ago of lung cancer. World class athlete, non smoker.

I am grateful to all who labor to protect us.

...There is a another thread "smuggling" where some of the folks believe that people on these boards just don't want to contribute to a meaningful topic. Your participate seems to indicate the opposite. Thank you.

Actually, no one in the other thread said people on these boards don't want to contribute to a meaningful topic; that may be your interpretation of what was posted but no one said that or even alluded to it. With all due respect, some people simply believe there is an appropriate time and place for everything and likewise believe a cruise forum is not the appropriate place for this discussion. Considering the vast number of people who comb through this forum every day, the fact that only 890 have chosen to view your post and out of those, only 35 including myself have responded, I'd say that's more than likely the case. Let's agree to respect the day without finger-pointing.

I was a Junior in high school, and remember walking to my Spanish 3 class when a teacher said a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. She turned on the TV, and within minutes we saw the second plan hit. It was pure shock. We went to the library and watched for hours on a big screen TV.

When more new began to come in, I heard that one of the planes had left from Newark, and I knew my dad was flying out of Newark that morning. I broke all kind of school rules and got out my cell-phone to call him. He had taken an earlier flight to Nebraska because his travel schedule had been changed. It was a sign of relief and at the same time a deep sadness because I knew that there would be thousands of others without the same relief.

We will NEVER forget!

One touching tribute we had shortly after 911: we were on the QM2 sailing out of NY harbor. When we were passing the site of 911, an announcement was made that we would have a moment of silence/prayer. They then played God Bless America, as we slowly sailed away. It was really a nice tribute, and I still remember it clearly.

God Bless all those that perished, and also their loved ones.

Have just been watching the news over here in the UK - it brought back dreadful memories from 10 yrs ago. We met many great people from New York on our recent cruise on the Silhouette - our thoughts are with them tonight.

Our hearts and prayers go out to everyone touched by 9 / 11 - words are never not enough ...................

xx

My wife and I and our friends were aboard the Mercury and had just docked at Sitka, Alaska when we learned of the attack on New York and Washington. We are from New Jersey and Pennsylvania respectively. I will never forget how wonderful everyone was, the local Alaskans, the crew and the ship's officers. Upon our arrival in Vancouver we could not get to our homes because all flights had been cancelled. Celebrity set up Infinity as a floating hotel. They fed us and took good care of us for four days until we were cleared to sail to Seattle and fly home. The residents of Vancouver were equally kind and went out of their way to treat Americans with love and respect. We are all committed Celebrity customers because of the extraordinary treatment we received. We also remember those in Alaska and Canada who were so kind during that difficult period.

Wow, I never heard this happened. What a wonderful thing for the company to do. I wonder how many other great companies stepped up and showed such compassion and concern? I read the story of the great people in Canada at Gander (I believe) where many commerical planes had to land. They showed so much giving spirit and compassion for those stranded there for several days.

Despite all the sad memories of that day, there are also wonderful memories of people helping people. I just wish we were that way all the time. And I am pointing the finger at myself when I say that.

Larry

Sept. 11 also happens to be our wedding anniversary, and in 2001 we took a trip to the Northwest to celebrate. That morning DH & I were on a small plane flying from Bozeman to Salt Lake City when the pilot announced the FAA had grounded our flight and ordered us to immediately return to the gate. Neither the crew nor the passengers were given any other information until we stepped back into the terminal and saw the horrors unfolding on the TV screens. After waiting a couple of days for the airports to reopen, we finally gave up and drove a rental car from Montana back to Texas.

I'll always remember the kindness of strangers in small towns along the way home. But I'll also never forget the menacing glares of fellow Americans when they witnessed two young women dressed in Middle Eastern attire quietly sobbing in a corner of the airport. "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."

Archived