If you've ever thought of getting a passport...

Boomer TG

I just got an email from a former co-worker that now works for the Dept. of Homeland Security in DC. He tells me that discussions are now underway with the Dept. of State on a timeline for instituting a passport requirement for US Citizens no matter where they travel to. No more picture ID and/or birth certificates - even to Mexico and Canada. His best guess is that it's less than a year away. No matter what, he says, this is going to happen. Both agencies agree.

Although they will have to give some advance notice, probably 6 mos. or so, if you were thinking about getting a passport and have travel plans in the coming year, you may want to beat the rush.

It's about time. The rest of the world requires a passport once you leave the country... why not U.S.?

Canada and Mexico are not the United States. Don't understand why you didn't need a passport in the past!

I've never even considered leaving the country without a passport. Being a US Citizen means something.

I was also told a long time ago if for some reason the US decided to close its borders then only passport holders would be able to re-enter the country.

Starting my Passport process today since it takes forever

Huh? :confused:

One of the staff here just recevied theirs in the mail, ten days from the date they applied.

I was going to say that it took 3 weeks to get mine when I applied at the local post office.

While it is true that as demand goes up the processing time will increase, it is not going to take more than 2 months I would think. But no matter what, I would apply as early as you possible can.

I am all for it. It should not be so much for where you are going, but for re-entry into the U.S. from where-ever you have been.

It would also serve internationally to prove your citizenship in the event of a problem while visiting foreign countries. (hope that never happens...)

Most other countries have required them for years, and is overdue for the U.S.

I think that since our cruise is a year away and there are 4 of us, I might start getting them one at a time so I don't have to fork out all that money at once. Right now I'm in the process of getting xtra copies of our birth cetificates so I don't have to send in our only certified copies with the passport applications.

Heidi if you see this,, call the Hanover Township Office which is not far from you .I just read where they do passports there 2 days a month where they crank them out in a few days.. some deal they got set up with the passport office downtown...

pat

Archived