Rick Steves on Celebrity

buggins0402

Rick lives in Edmonds, Washington, just north of Seattle. He also grew up there. But he spends about 6 months a year in Europe I believe working on his books, etc., so a few days between a cruise would be nothing for him.

Once a year he holds a day long Travel Expo in Edmonds. It's generally in the winter time frame. He's a very engaging speaker. Sign up on his website for his e-mails (not plentiful) and you'll get notified of when it is.

Joe

We go down to the Rick Steves Center every few months to catch some of his travel classes, browse his library, shop for books etc. It's fun to make a day of it.

My sister and BIL took one of his tours a few years ago and loved it.

Too bad I live on the other coast :-) I'm on his facebook page so I presume he'd announce it there as well but flying across country for something a day long probably won't happen for me given the airfare these days. Now, if he were to be on my ship in October....lol. I presume he'll be on one this week but if he does live over there then you never know! I'll keep my hopes up until we learn of his next embarkation lol.

Seems there is still no confirm on which cruise it is...his blog is pretty vague - just said he was following up the RCI Western Med with an Eastern Med on Celebrity.

I was in Edmonds yesterday and had to stop in Rick's "store" I chatted with a couple people about all the chatter on our thread about Rick finally cruising. The comment I heard was he is finally going to take his first cruise to see what all the fuss is about and why cruiser like to cruise BUT alas no one would let me know which ship or timeframe.

They also said his Med Cruise Port book is flying off the shelf. We'll download to the Ipad for our trip summer 2012.

Donna

I was in Edmonds yesterday and had to stop in Rick's "store" I chatted with a couple people about all the chatter on our thread about Rick finally cruising. The comment I heard was he is finally going to take his first cruise to see what all the fuss is about and why cruiser like to cruise BUT alas no one would let me know which ship or timeframe.

They also said his Med Cruise Port book is flying off the shelf. We'll download to the Ipad for our trip summer 2012.

Donna

Wasn't available when I checked. I had to buy the paper version :(

Rick lives in Edmonds, Washington, just north of Seattle. He also grew up there. But he spends about 6 months a year in Europe I believe working on his books, etc., so a few days between a cruise would be nothing for him.

Once a year he holds a day long Travel Expo in Edmonds. It's generally in the winter time frame. He's a very engaging speaker. Sign up on his website for his e-mails (not plentiful) and you'll get notified of when it is.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Oh, wouldn't that be nice if he were on the Oct. 10 Equinox since Andy and I are on that cruise?!?

Sounds like he is on the one right before ours though...

Would love to hear him speak...

Sheila

Hi Joe,

Oh, wouldn't that be nice if he were on the Oct. 10 Equinox since Andy and I are on that cruise?!?

Sounds like he is on the one right before ours though...

Would love to hear him speak...

Sheila

Hello Sheila Baby -

If it weren't so close to our departure date on Equinox, I'd day fly up and we could all go together.

He is INCREDIBLY funny in person. Very dry sense of humour - and very aligned with our politics, if you know what I mean... Not a single Christine gene in him at all! :D

We'll be thinking of you on Silhouette...

Cheerio!

Joe (channeling Jeff)

Read on the Italy port board that Rick Steves is currently on an RCI ship (Liberty). His blog states that he'll be continuing on with Eastern Med on Celebrity. Anyone have an idea which Celebrity ship is doing the Eastern Med next week? Boy - that would be neat to have him on a ship.

Rick Steves was on the Celebrity Equinox with us which left Rome on September 19 and returned today back to Rome. It was a terrific cruise, and he was very gracious to fellow cruisers (including when private tour guides got a bit pushy when they realized who he was.) The cruise went to Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul (2 days), Mykonos and Naples.

Rick Steves was on the Celebrity Equinox with us which left Rome on September 19 and returned today back to Rome. It was a terrific cruise, and he was very gracious to fellow cruisers (including when private tour guides got a bit pushy when they realized who he was.) The cruise went to Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul (2 days), Mykonos and Naples.

Yes, I can confirm. He came to our Cruise Critic meeting and was very charming. I have to say, I had no idea who he was though until at sailaway some of our American & Canadian cc group started screeming "Rick". I had a quick chat with him and he seemed very nice. I've got a couple of pics of him too. He dined on the Captain's table on the first formal night. Not sure whether he left half way through the cruise, as I didn't see him again. However we were having such a good time, I probably didn't notice! It was a great cruise and the Equinox is a great ship.

Smart man then, I would guess for security reasons he delayed his Facebook posts until after he was actually gone from the locations he reported on. Makes perfect sense. Can't wait to see what he has to say about cruising and maybe Celebrity in particular!

Yes, I can confirm. He came to our Cruise Critic meeting and was very charming. I have to say, I had no idea who he was though until at sailaway some of our American & Canadian cc group started screeming "Rick". I had a quick chat with him and he seemed very nice. I've got a couple of pics of him too. He dined on the Captain's table on the first formal night. Not sure whether he left half way through the cruise, as I didn't see him again. However we were having such a good time, I probably didn't notice! It was a great cruise and the Equinox is a great ship.

Great to hear these details on what Rick did, that he was so nice and how great was your cruise. Great ports and places. None of us have those problems with "groupies" as Rick does. Life can be tough and challenging for some!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 42,612 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

LOL! The whole time we were trying to figure out which ship he'd be on, he was sailing along on the Equinox. Glad you all had a great cruise and thanks for solving the mystery.

Just watched his Naples video on his blog. Looked interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

He was actually on my 9/19 Equinox cruise. We saw him at the Sail Away party where 100 of us Cruise Critic members where. We invited him to our Connections party the next day and he came. We ran into him a fe times in Istanbul - at lunch at the Pudding Restaurant near the Hagia Sofia, the Hagia Sofia itself where he briefly joined our private tour group, the Grand Bazaar as well as in Ephesus at the school where they teach women to weave rugs. Very approachable, friendly and nice.

It's simply a good business opportunity for him to come up with a set of guide books targeted to cruisers.

I read his piece years ago putting down folks who cruised too. Not surprised. He is a good business man. I wish he finally woke up to what a wonderful way cruises enables folks to see a lot but doubt that is the case. Hope I am wrong. Anyrate, I am sure he will do a very good job on port guides. Some cruises do a good job and others don't, having a good guide out there will be very helpful to cruisers.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Rick Steves travel center yesterday, attending a talk on Mediterranean Ports given by Cameron Hewitt, his co-author of the tour guide.

It was a great hour and a half talk...a little bit about cruises themselves and a lot on what things to do in each port.

Cameron did talk some about Rick's cruise experiences and how the book came to be. (Rick enjoyed the cruise, and thinks cruising is a great option for some folks.)

What I like is that he Cruise port book is not a watered down version, it has full guidebook info on each port...for the person who has a limited time in those ports.

Oh, yeah, there was even a plug for Cruise Critic during the talk!

• 4 weeks later...

Today, Rick Steves gave a talk on his cruise experience to a large group in Edmonds, WA. It was a great, informal talk on his experiences and how to get the most our of your cruise. It was great and he answered a lot of questions.

His main advice was to figure out what you need, and make that work (The luxury of being on a ship, the ease of letting the cruise ship do all the planning on shore excursions, or the in depth experience of going on your own.)

He did have a lot of good things to say about Cruise Critic and the folks that use Cruise Critic to plan their cruise and share information.

It was a fun talk!

Archived