Rick Steves on Celebrity

buggins0402

Read on the Italy port board that Rick Steves is currently on an RCI ship (Liberty). His blog states that he'll be continuing on with Eastern Med on Celebrity. Anyone have an idea which Celebrity ship is doing the Eastern Med next week? Boy - that would be neat to have him on a ship.

Hmmm...He wraps up his cruise on Liberty today in Barcelona, but there are no Celebrity ships leaving from there...Maybe he will be on Silhouette on 9/27 (Holy Land); Solstice 9/29, or Equinox 9/30. Connie doesn't sail until Oct. 1 from Istanbul. Guess we will have to wait for his blog to see where he is...EM

Hmmm...He wraps up his cruise on Liberty today in Barcelona, but there are no Celebrity ships leaving from there...Maybe he will be on Silhouette on 9/27 (Holy Land); Solstice 9/29, or Equinox 9/30. Connie doesn't sail until Oct. 1 from Istanbul. Guess we will have to wait for his blog to see where he is...EM

I LOVE Rick Steves...been printing guide/maps, have it on Kindle and I am on Silhouette on the 27th...that would so neat!!!

I LOVE Rick Steves...been printing guide/maps, have it on Kindle and I am on Silhouette on the 27th...that would so neat!!!

Do you have his Mediterranean Cruise Ports book? Just out in June. that's what he is further researching now. I'm hoping he does one for northern Europe, too. I emailed his website and suggested on the first revision he include more about children and the handicapped. They replied and said he would be working on it again in Oct. EM

I'm guessing he'll be on the 9/30 Equinox out of Rome. His page mentions greece, and while others go there, his page doesn't mention Israel and i'd think if he were going there he'd mention it?...who knows.

Man. 1 cruise from mine. "Missed it by that much". :-)

We shall see, but i guess he's on land for now since the Liberty docked today in Barcelona. I'd love to be in Barcelona today!

Interesting, I would not have thought he would be on a cruise. I read an opinion piece by him one time complaining about folks taking cruises and only seeing a port for one day and how much they miss by not staying longer......ummm

It's simply a good business opportunity for him to come up with a set of guide books targeted to cruisers.

With any luck he'll stay on land a few weeks and be on my cruise on 10/10 on the Equinox. One could dream LOL.

His books have been very helpful, and his walking audio tours files i have on my MP3 player have saved me some cash in some ports.

i heard he'll be on the Solstice cruise out of Barcelona October 11th. Anyone on board for that?

i heard he'll be on the Solstice cruise out of Barcelona October 11th. Anyone on board for that?

Is that cruise going to Greece? His website specifically mentions he'll be visiting greece.

I'd be surprised if he waits that long since he is already off the 1st cruise unless he has somewhere to live in Europe in between the two (i dont know where he calls home).

Either way, whatever ship is getting him, is lucky! Would love to just listen to him talk about places he's been to, the man has seen the world more than most on this board i'm pretty sure :-)

It's simply a good business opportunity for him to come up with a set of guide books targeted to cruisers.

I used his recently published Med Cruise Ports book in Jul/Aug just after it came out. It was really useful and covers more ports we intend to see next year.

The guided walks are a little brief for us but do the job when you are getting your bearings.

The (free) android app has lots of audio tours/features that is also worth a download as you can listen to them in advance on the flight/seas days or as you explore. More audio is being added so even better

Is that cruise going to Greece? His website specifically mentions he'll be visiting greece.

I'd be surprised if he waits that long since he is already off the 1st cruise unless he has somewhere to live in Europe in between the two (i dont know where he calls home).

Either way, whatever ship is getting him, is lucky! Would love to just listen to him talk about places he's been to, the man has seen the world more than most on this board i'm pretty sure :-)

Hmm... that Soltice cruise does go to Greece. It is a long lag though. Any links confirming that?

Kind of like when the guy on the Today show would show up somewhere in the world each morning...you'd wonder where next.

If he looks a little plumper after his Celebrity cruise we'll know he found the waffle station. :D

Agree with Jeff that Rick is a smart business guy and knows that many cruisers would like his style of reports/suggestions as they plan visits in these many ports in the Med and Europe. Packaging his previous info into a cruise book, plus added TV segments, generates more dollars, readers, viewers, etc.

I like and check his books (through the library), but also like to check the Eyewitness, Michelin, Fodor, Frommers, Insights, etc. books. No one guide has it "ALL". Each has a different style and focus. Checking them all gives you a wider range of options and info to consider for your limited time in each port.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 41,062 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

If he looks a little plumper after his Celebrity cruise we'll know he found the waffle station. :D

I know I'll be finding that waffle station right quick! I had waffles every morning on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam last year (HAL) and intend to continue that tradition! lol Love my waffles! And fruit! Bananas....pineapple....i hope they have some good fruits!

I know I'll be finding that waffle station right quick! I had waffles every morning on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam last year (HAL) and intend to continue that tradition! lol Love my waffles! And fruit! Bananas....pineapple....i hope they have some good fruits!

Great fresh fruit in the Aquaspa cafe. You can also request a bowl of berries from room service and in MDR.

Interesting, I would not have thought he would be on a cruise. I read an opinion piece by him one time complaining about folks taking cruises and only seeing a port for one day and how much they miss by not staying longer......ummm

Here's his reason's for writing the book.

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/1107/europe-cruise-ports.htm

When I lived overseas from 81-86 and 87-91, Michelin was the best for history and information for site-seeing. No more, I purchased one for Greece last year and it's value has seriously declined. Rick Steves' and Frommers are good for touring and tips on travel. I use the Internet for research ahead of time.

I'm a big fan of Rick Steves' and actually considered doing one of his 'Europe through the back door' trips until I thought about schlepping my luggage around for a couple of weeks.

I agree that this is smart marketing on his part. One of the big reasons I cruise is that it's a great way to get from one place to another with no hassle!

Now, if he'd only write books about somewhere else.....the Med is on my list but it'll be awhile before I get to it.

Rick lives in Edmonds, Washington, just north of Seattle. He also grew up there. But he spends about 6 months a year in Europe I believe working on his books, etc., so a few days between a cruise would be nothing for him.

Once a year he holds a day long Travel Expo in Edmonds. It's generally in the winter time frame. He's a very engaging speaker. Sign up on his website for his e-mails (not plentiful) and you'll get notified of when it is.

Joe

Rick lives in Edmonds, Washington, just north of Seattle. He also grew up there. But he spends about 6 months a year in Europe I believe working on his books, etc., so a few days between a cruise would be nothing for him.

Once a year he holds a day long Travel Expo in Edmonds. It's generally in the winter time frame. He's a very engaging speaker. Sign up on his website for his e-mails (not plentiful) and you'll get notified of when it is.

Joe

Too bad I live on the other coast :-) I'm on his facebook page so I presume he'd announce it there as well but flying across country for something a day long probably won't happen for me given the airfare these days. Now, if he were to be on my ship in October....lol. I presume he'll be on one this week but if he does live over there then you never know! I'll keep my hopes up until we learn of his next embarkation lol.

Archived