Suite/Elite cocktail party

ridolphi

A couple 8pmof years ago we were on the Sapphire Princess. We were in a mini suite, but I was Elite and we had an invitation each evening to an exclusive cocktail party in the Skywalkers bar from maybe 5-8pm. We are now booked for next April and we are actually both Elite now, so does this perk still exist? I cannot find anything about it on the Elite perks list, but maybe I am just somehow missing it.

Thanks.

Yes, but it's also open to Platinum members as well (and has been for a couple of years.) Not particularly exclusive but that depends on the cruise. It ends way too early, at 7:00pm so if you eat later or have late traditional dining, it's useless. :(

A couple 8pmof years ago we were on the Sapphire Princess. We were in a mini suite, but I was Elite and we had an invitation each evening to an exclusive cocktail party in the Skywalkers bar from maybe 5-8pm. We are now booked for next April and we are actually both Elite now, so does this perk still exist? I cannot find anything about it on the Elite perks list, but maybe I am just somehow missing it.

Thanks.

5pm to 7pm. But you pay for drinks at normal ship's prices, except they have the 'cocktail of the day' for $4, something like that. I agree, 7pm finish too early for us second sitting diners, why not close it down at 8pm?

Thanks for your replies.

Pam - I know you know a lot about anything Princess, and NSWP, you seem to as well. Thought I knew a lot, but obviously since we haven't cruise Princess a lot in recent years, I am behind. Anyway, sounds like it is pretty useless in general. Thanks again for updating me.

I have read several times of people complaining the drinks end at 7. While this is true, we haven't found it a problem for dining. We just go around 6:30, and, if the canapes are something we are interested in, get what we want, order our drinks and enjoy. They have always come around just before 7 and asked if another drink is desired before the end of the appointed time. They don't shove us out the door at 7 and it usually means we have time to enjoy our drink in a nice quiet area. We linger as desired before going down to enjoy our dinner.

Yes, but it's also open to Platinum members as well (and has been for a couple of years.) Not particularly exclusive but that depends on the cruise. It ends way too early, at 7:00pm so if you eat later or have late traditional dining, it's useless. :(

Pam - I'm Platinum but my husband is still Gold. Can I drag him along or will they not allow him? :p

I have read several times of people complaining the drinks end at 7. While this is true, we haven't found it a problem for dining. We just go around 6:30, and, if the canapes are something we are interested in, get what we want, order our drinks and enjoy. They have always come around just before 7 and asked if another drink is desired before the end of the appointed time. They don't shove us out the door at 7 and it usually means we have time to enjoy our drink in a nice quiet area. We linger as desired before going down to enjoy our dinner.

We do the same thing, except we arrive about 6 pm. We always have anytime dining, so find the schedule suits us perfectly. We have been very happy with the Elite/Suite/Platinum cocktail hour.

Pam - I'm Platinum but my husband is still Gold. Can I drag him along or will they not allow him? :p
Of course! :)

As for the 7pm closing time, there are a lot of passengers in late traditional dining and you'd have to go by 6:45pm to enjoy the lounge. I just can't stretch a drink an hour and a half. :(

It ends way too early, at 7:00pm so if you eat later or have late traditional dining, it's useless. :(

On the Pacific Princess recently, they had an hour assigned to each fixed seating.

The lounge was open for first seating passengers from 5 PM to 6 PM.

For second seating passengers, it was open from 7:15 PM to 8:15 PM.

I do not know if this type of schedule will be implemented on other ships in the fleet.

On the Pacific Princess recently, they had an hour assigned to each fixed seating.

The lounge was open for first seating passengers from 5 PM to 6 PM.

For second seating passengers, it was open from 7:15 PM to 8:15 PM.

I do not know if this type of schedule will be implemented on other ships in the fleet.

I wish it would. :)

I like it. I don't go when I sail solo, but I go with my friends when we go as a group. Last time, we had enough platinum and elite that we could take the first timers with us. We did have to show our cards on that cruise (Sapphire). We'd have 'happy hour' drinks and snacks and talk about what we did that day. Nice view from Skywalkers. Only drawback was that we weren't that hungry for dinner afterwards, but I liked the time with my friends.

Thanks.

Here is an example of the menu from The Island Princess from 8-31-2011, it was held in The Explorer's lounge and was not very well attended in my opinion. The hours were from 5pm to 7pm, I was there every night, I could. It is for Elite,Suite(full, not mini), and Platinum passengers. A card gets delv. to your cabin.(ours was delv. on the 2nd eve, so we missed 2 nights)

Day 1 Guacamole & chips, El Mejor margarita $3.99

Day 2 Smoked salmon with toast, Chairman of the board $3.99

Day 3 Mexican salsa with chips, Chivas regal rob roy $3.99

Day 4 Wheel of silton with port wine,house port wine $3.99

Day 6 Shrimp fountain, Cosmo $3.99

Day 7 herb marinated goat's cheese, Margarita $3.99

Each night there was also other hors d' oeuvres like cheese bread sticks, veggies with dip, etc.

I have the same situation and my husband attends with me and I just use my Plat. card for the drink of the eve and no problem.

Someday my husband will catch up and become Plat.:D

We do the same thing, except we arrive about 6 pm. We always have anytime dining, so find the schedule suits us perfectly. We have been very happy with the Elite/Suite/Platinum cocktail hour.

Us too... We never really know when and where we'll eat, and we find the early cocktail hours suits that dinning schedule nicely.

Srpilo

Loved Skywalkers on our recent Crown cruise. Went up everynight at 5:00,

met our friends (Cruise Critic bunch) and made new friends as well.

Some nights they checked cards, sometimes not. I think after a while the guy checking got to know us and never asked.

The menu posted above was the same one we had on the Crown.

I prefer free drinks in a nice lounge as opposed to the free laundry... So far we have never sailed more than 10 days and I always pack accordingly.. yes it would be nice but I really don't like someone I don't know do my laundry...esp dry cleaning my clothes...but that's me and I'll sure I'll appreciate it if we do longer sailings some day

But charging me for a drink and giving me a couple bucks off of a drink I may not be interested in ...just doesn't say Thanks for being Elite...IMHO

:p

CC

I don't really understand how this could be considered a perk. Free hors d'oeuvres? This kind of sounds like a perk until you remember that ALL the food is free. And the food had been replaced with cheap stuff. It looks like 2 days they give you chips and dip now?

You do get about $1.50 off of one drink. Which I suppose is good if you wanted that one drink. By the way, if you order 2 of these happy hour drinks it costs more than if you were to have bought 1 double of the same drink at any bar on the ship.

The last time I went to this party all they had was a small sign on table saying it was the suite/elite happy hour. Pretty much anyone could attend.

I think it is just a trick to get you out of your room early before dinner. They would rather have you spend money in the bar then drink wine in your room.

I prefer free drinks in a nice lounge as opposed to the free laundry... So far we have never sailed more than 10 days and I always pack accordingly.. yes it would be nice but I really don't like someone I don't know do my laundry...esp dry cleaning my clothes...but that's me and I'll sure I'll appreciate it if we do longer sailings some day

But charging me for a drink and giving me a couple bucks off of a drink I may not be interested in ...just doesn't say Thanks for being Elite...IMHO

CC

The laundry on our 31 day Sydney cruise amounted to over $900 - That would be $30 per day for drinks. I would have been drunk all the time. Believe me, free laundry is far superior to free drinks. IMHO

CC

How about the free mini-bar set up Elites get, along with afternoon tea in your cabin, free internet, etc.?

The elite/suite/platinum happy hour is one of my favorite parts of cruising with princess. The drink of the day is usually top shelf liquor at a cut rate price. Really love watching the sun set from atop the ship in Skywalkers drinking a chairman of the board with the DW. For us, that first night of the happy hour we really start to feel we are on vacation and pretty much never want to go back to work. What is it they say, escape completely, this part of the cruise makes it feel like that for me. Plus the other thing I like is most of the regulars at the happy hour have traveled a lot and have some great stories to tell, have met lots of friendly folks at the happy hour. I'd suggest to the OP to give this a try, you will most likely not regret it.

Archived