Free champagne on boarding??

mamasue

We just returned home today from the Constellation (Turkey and Greece) and very much enjoyed our welcoming glass of 'bubbly' (plus several others ... :D) during the course of a lovely cruise. Thank you Celebrity!

Some of the posts in this thread make me smile, especially in light of watching 'Bottle Shock' on Singapore Airlines on the way home. A very funny movie!

We just returned home today from the Constellation (Turkey and Greece) and very much enjoyed our welcoming glass of 'bubbly' (plus several others ... :D) during the course of a lovely cruise. Thank you Celebrity!

Some of the posts in this thread make me smile, especially in light of watching 'Bottle Shock' on Singapore Airlines on the way home. A very funny movie!

A fun movie based on the 1976 wine tasting in Paris of French and California wines. Wikipedia has a really good article on this that you might find interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

I used to fly Singapore Air all the time. One of the best in the world.

^^ Love your pic Franklin!!!

You must be referring to the wine glass. Guilty!! - we are winos... Love your NZ Sauv Blanc wines by the way. Not supposed to mention brand names here but I have probably had 50 or more of them over the years. We are looking forward to visiting NZ in 2013.

Wooo hoo....I'm excited now!!

Although we've cruised many times on 4 other cruise lines, it's our first Celebrity cruise, at the end of this month....and our daughter and her fiance's first ever cruise!

Whether it's top grade champagne or third-rate sparkly wine is of little consequence.....it'll just be another thing to made DD's first cruise a special experience. We've been trying to persuade her to cruise for such a long time!!

I love Celebrity already!!!!:D

Make sure to take them once to the specialty restaurant--they are spectacular and worth every penny :)

Make sure to take them once to the specialty restaurant--they are spectacular and worth every penny :)

We probably will......as it's an anniversary celebration cruise!!!!:)

After a Lots of cruising my husband and I still love walking up the gangway and taking the step onto the ship! The smiles and drinks always start us off on a great note. Next one up is a ta in Nov -can't wait!!!

I agree that it's a great way to be welcomed once you step on board the ship.

Sometimes when I'm waiting for friends to catch up I'll sip a second glass. :D

BTW, I'm still shaking my head over the "they have a patent" comment for champagne. I'm I.T.B. ;)

I thought I read somewhere that you get free champagne on boarding on Celebrity....like you used to on NCL.

Does this still apply.... can any recent Celebrity cruisers tell me??

When we got on the ship in San Diego on 9/19, it was not just one glass, but all you wanted. It was a great way to start.

We also were given sparkling wine when we got on at our last port in Cartegena. Rick the Cruise Director was standing there in the pouring rain (no pun intended) and giving out glasses of it (they were, naturally, a bit watery). Great cruise!:D

Edited by Idahobaker

I agree that it's a great way to be welcomed once you step on board the ship.

Sometimes when I'm waiting for friends to catch up I'll sip a second glass. :D

BTW, I'm still shaking my head over the "they have a patent" comment for champagne. I'm I.T.B. ;)

I know 'patent' isn't the correct word but I didn't want search to long for it and expected everyone would understand what I mean. Only if sparkling wine is from Champagne (an area in France) it is allowed to be called Champagne (not in private but the official word for it) everything else is sparkling wine or cremant (you can find this a wikipedia, too).

Here from wiki: The term "champagne" is used to refer either to wine produced exclusively within the Champagne region of France,[1] or to wine produced elsewhere in a similar style.[2]

and :

The classic example of a sparkling wine is Champagne, but this wine is exclusively produced in the Champagne region of France and many sparkling wines are produced in other countries and regions, such as Espumante in Portugal, Cava in Spain, Franciacorta, Trento, Oltrepò Pavese Metodo Classico and Asti in Italy (the generic Italian term for sparkling wine being spumante) and Cap Classique in South Africa. Most countries reserve the word Champagne for a specific type from the Champagne region of France.

Edited by black forest

And wineries are always cheating on using the name 'Champagne'. Went to the Franks Family winery in Napa Valley and ended up with a case of great Franks Family Champagne. Asked them about using that name being a sparkling wine from Napa, and they just shrugged and inferred, 'what are they going to do to us??". It is 'methode champenoise' and was great stuff.

They seemed to have quit making nearly as much, and now concentrate on the Red's, but we loved it - maybe they got a little letter from France asking where in the Champagne Valley the Franks Family Winery was??

Den

Edited by Denny01

• 5 years later...