Scare on the QM2 this evening

Kiltboys

What is essential is that the messages are broadcast over the ENTIRE ship. (posters have stated that the broadcast did not reach them in their cabins) The Broadcast should be precise, calm, and easily understoood.

That isn't what people have said. They said that not all the broadcasts were reaching the cabins. Well the announcements for the crew wouldn't have been. These are meant for the public.

That isn't what people have said. They said that not all the broadcasts were reaching the cabins. Well the announcements for the crew wouldn't have been. These are meant for the public.

They also said that "the public" viz passengers were not kept informed, my post was that rumours and speculation could be stopped if a "public relations official staffer" made a public announcement as soon a possible that was shipwide.

In such situations, rumours, speculations and yes "putting the right spin on it" do more harm and produce more "panic" than the would have happened had the public been kept informed.

I know I have been in such situations,threats of invasion, the Blitz, riots in an third world unstable country, an aircraft engine failing, two Hurricanes (one destroyed about 40% of my town in 2004 including the house I was in at the time ) and only two weeks ago a fire on the second floor of the condo building in which I live .

Six months ago I suggested we needed a written plan and a fire drill and was told "it is not needed" When the fire happened, there was total confusion, some residents with mobility problems were stranded in their second floor homes, and no one knew who was in residence and who was "up north"

BTW we still have no set plan for such a situation. The reason, "it ws only a small fire and was confined to just the one condo"

I believe I read tht Cunard also stated "it was only a small fire and was contained "

Believe the iceberg that sank the Titanic was also "not expected to be so far south"

From discussions at breakfast this morning with someone who was on last week, there was a bit of confusion after the call for those with pets or children to go up and claim their charges that there was no instruction given to the rest of the passengers about what they should be doing. It was all over within a half hour but there was a bit of distress (from less than optimal information) during that time.

Thanks for all the good wishes regarding my last post.

Regarding the captain forewarning us of the storm, he did in fact make an announcement stating that we were encountering severe weather and that it would get worse during the afternoon. I agree that the information given about the fire was not great but presume they needed to deal with the emergency first. I did not worry unduly as I was just out of the shower and thought maybe I should at least get dressed if there was to be an abandon ship situation!

We did hear later that it was the back of hurricane ophelia so I guess it's just one of those things. The ship is certainly built to cope with the storm and I personally really enjoyed it and went up to the bridge to observe the captain who seemed fine with it all. He only came on the ship at Southampton so it has been a bit of a baptism of fire for him!

Now on the TA on the way home and all calm so far...........

The Captain did inform us the weather would be rough. He and the crew were wonderful! Not once were we frightened by in the bad weather. Mary is made for it and we found it quite enjoyable. The fire was a bit unnerving at first but Captain Oprey kept us well informed and eased our concerns. He is a wonderful addition to the Cunard fleet.

Edited by 534

However, that is not what I was suggesting. When you consider what a Captain of a vessel will be doing when he is A) Navigating his ship through stormy seas and B) dealing with a fire emergency onboard... His priorities will be managing the safe passage of the ship, not necessarily in navigation terms, but securing its safe passage in terms of ability to continue on its way.

I am not suggesting that people would expect the Captain to drop everything and take a democratic vote, and think it is quite unrealistic how you have interpreted my post and implied that to be the case.

However, you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

Safe sailing.

TR5LHR, I am sorry, my post was poorly composed. A previous poster stated that a ship was not a demoracy! I apologize for my indirection. I will be more careful in the future.

Nevertheless, I still maintain that there is a remarkable difference between reaction time afforted to the captain (staff and crew) of an ocean liner vs a captain of an airplane.

Actually, in my clumsy way, I am trying to compliment those who command air travel.

Regards,

Salcaia

Edited by Salacia

Thanks for all the good wishes regarding my last post.

Regarding the captain forewarning us of the storm, he did in fact make an announcement stating that we were encountering severe weather and that it would get worse during the afternoon. I agree that the information given about the fire was not great but presume they needed to deal with the emergency first. I did not worry unduly as I was just out of the shower and thought maybe I should at least get dressed if there was to be an abandon ship situation!

We did hear later that it was the back of hurricane ophelia so I guess it's just one of those things. The ship is certainly built to cope with the storm and I personally really enjoyed it and went up to the bridge to observe the captain who seemed fine with it all. He only came on the ship at Southampton so it has been a bit of a baptism of fire for him!

Now on the TA on the way home and all calm so far...........

Wow! That's something, for a passenger to observe a storm from the bridge in those conditions - is that rather unusual? You didn't mention being on the bridge previously, maybe it didn't seem like a big thing ?

I'm on the QM2 at the moment so will let you know what's being going on.

Yesterday we sailed through a force 11 storm. The captain said that two other ships from Silversea and Celebrity had to turn back to safe harbour but we battled through it.

It got really bad in the afternoon, plates were flying off tables and we could hear crashing crockery all over the place. I heard all the crystal in the shop smashed and a couple of windows too.

I saw a couple of piles of vomit in the public areas. (lovely!).

Then as we were getting ready for dinner there was the crew alarm for the crew to muster. The guests on first sitting all had to leave the dining room and guests were told to stay in their rooms. We were told later by the captain that there had been a small fire in the gas turbine rendering it useless.

Everything returned to normal apart from our second sitting dinner being delayed by 15 minutes.

We have been told that we will be delayed by 2 hours getting into NY tomorrow morning.

A very exciting day but I heard some passengers were very upset and distraught.

All ok now.

Edited by Salacia

Absolutely true, we have all had experience of these stock answers.

For myself, I do not care which "shell company" a ship belongs, there should be someone on board who in an "emergency" is supposed to "calm the rabble". by communicating with the [passengers.

Passengers could have been asked to "stay wherever they were" so that to hallways would be kept clear. This person could also broadcast that there was no danger to passengers at that time.

What is essential is that the messages are broadcast over the ENTIRE ship. (posters have stated that the broadcast did not reach them in their cabins) The Broadcast should be precise, calm, and easily understoood.

Such procedures would stop the panic producing rumours that flourish in such situations.

Of course it goes without saying that we as passengers should follow these instructions. though given the "I will do as I ******* well please" attitude of some on board (passengers/staff) that maybe in doubt.

You've put it well. I couldn't agree more.

I'm surprised at those who believe care and attention need not be given to the passengers. It is nonsensical to think that passengers will in any way act as if they were trained, or even act in concert without adequate preparation. Having a crew member tasked with providing information to passengers in the situations like the one under discussion can only help.

If the captain of a ship is so busy that he or she cannot spare a few minutes every so often for a passenger liaison person then the ship is in such deep trouble that it won't matter. Unlike airplanes there should be an abundance of trained and experienced people - several shifts worth - to assist the captain.

Edited by broberts

There is a very small viewing area behind the Bridge .you have to be quiet and not try to attract the attention of the crew .

And that viewing area is not open at all times. Seldom is it open for viewing if there is severe storm that commands the Captains' attention.

The Captain did inform us the weather would be rough. He and the crew were wonderful! Not once were we frightened by in the bad weather. Mary is made for it and we found it quite enjoyable. The fire was a bit unnerving at first but Captain Oprey kept us well informed and eased our concerns. He is a wonderful addition to the Cunard fleet.

Hi 534

Seems like I missed an interesting last leg of the trip after we disembarked in Quebec! But glad to hear you were all safe & well. I am not sure my husband would have enjoyed the rough weather but I would have found it rather fun I suspect! :D

It was lovely to meet you both and I hope we will see you on the Mary sometime in the future.

What was the reason for the fire? It is likely it could happen again? I have read that there was also an explosion some time ago? I hope it is not something to worry about?

Travelberlin, I have been unabe to find any reports that include the reason for the fire*, but perhaps others have more to contribute in that regard. I don't know why that question wasn't asked by those few reporters who covered the story initially, nor do I know why that wasn't covered in any Cunard statement. However, the QM2 has completed a trans-altantic crossing, reportedly without incident.

I don't know anything about the inspection required of the ship once it reaches Southampton (where it is registered), but I would like to think the inspection would insure the vessel is seaworthy, and thus no worry to passengers.

Regards,

Salacia

*I believe a full report of the investigation will be issued eventually to the public.

Edited by Salacia

What was the reason for the fire? It is likely it could happen again? I have read that there was also an explosion some time ago? I hope it is not something to worry about?

It will be investigated and reported here. This also has the report on the earlier explosion which resulted in the QM2 being without power for 29 minutes. As ever, your drive to the airport will be much more dangerous than your flight, which will itself be more dangerous than your cruise....

It will be investigated and reported here. This also has the report on the earlier explosion which resulted in the QM2 being without power for 29 minutes. As ever, your drive to the airport will be much more dangerous than your flight, which will itself be more dangerous than your cruise....
I agree with you.Ship travel is so much safer than airline travel. Regards,Jerry

Hi Guerseyguy. Thanks for the link to the MAIB. As of today's date, there is no report of the recent fire on QM2 listed yet. Does that incident require reporting to the MAIB? (While Cunard is positioning this as a non-event, my understanding is that any fire in an engine room of a ship is worthy of further investigation. But I don't know what what MAIB requires in terms of reporting such incidents.)

BTW, if Cunard were to change to a Flag of Convenience, would I be correct in thinking that any reporting to MAIB would not be required?

Regards,

Salacia

...Cunard were to change to a Flag of Convenience, would I be correct in thinking that any reporting to MAIB would not be required?

Regards,

Salacia

I am sure the MAIB will investigate the fire - you'll see from their web site that there is a lag between incident dates and initial reports appearing. Bermuda has its own Marine Accident office - but for serious incidents they will ask the UK MAIB to investigate - as they did with the Star Princess fire.

I am sure the MAIB will investigate the fire - you'll see from their web site that there is a lag between incident dates and initial reports appearing. Bermuda has its own Marine Accident office - but for serious incidents they will ask the UK MAIB to investigate - as they did with the Star Princess fire.

Hi Gurnesguy. Thanks, that is good to know. And yes, I did note the lag between incident dates and subsquent posting on the MAIB website - but if I read correctly, the last reported incident was dated 5 October - and I think that is the same date the 'small' fire on QM2 occurred. Yet that other 5 October incident appeared on the MAIB website several days ago...which caused me to wonder why the QM2 accident report has yet to be posted.

I'm just learning about these things, and so I much appreciate your insight and other posters knowledge of these matters.

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

• 3 years later...
Zombie Alert! 2011 Thread!

I'll kill the zombie. No, no report that I can see. Since the fire was in one of the gas turbines, and these are self-contained units with their own fire suppression systems, there probably wasn't an investigation. Just like with US flag vessels, any damage to equipment over $20k has to be reported to USCG on their 2692 form, but that does not mean an investigation into the incident needs to be done.

We are on the QM 2 May 3 crossing from Southampton. Is there a meet and mingle party?

Rini47

There is a very active roll call for your crossing here

Meet & Greet ……….. Commodore Club….. May 4 - 11:00 am

Edited by hattie the cattie