Are Hookah Pipes allowed on board?

Flaps15

My friend and I are cruising on Norwegian Sun the week of Thanksgiving. We are trying to bring on Ukuleles for days and nights at sea when we want to escape the crowds. Just wondering if hookah pipes are allowed as well? They are 100% legal in the United States so I cant see a reason why not other than it may be "questionable". Thanks for any information!

The pipes and your instruments will not be allowed on any ship. There was a thread a while back when someone asked the same question and I emailed every cruise line, including NCL, and asked if hookah's were allowed and the answer was a resounding NO---remember, just because they may be legal in the US, doesn't mean they're legal in foreign countries and when you cruise, you're in a foreign country. As for a ukulele, that's a big no no also--it's written in the cruise brochures that unless you're part of the entertainment staff, no musical instruments will be allowed on board. Sorry, but I sure wouldn't want to hear people playing those in any public area and especially in a cabin. Not sure if you realize that cabin walls are very thin and you can hear what goes on, especially loud music.

As far as noises from the adjoining cabin go, the gentle plinking of a ukulele would be vastly preferable to a television set turned up full blast to suit the impaired hearing of some oblivious senior, or an infant who won't stop crying as his first tooth comes in, or a couple whose relationship has devolved into a nightly screaming match. :eek:

And as for the hookah-- well, I think the previous poster may be confusing the middle-eastern water pipes-- strictly for flavored tobacco-- with a bong, which is generally reserved for a different plant matter altogether.:D

Yes, this is a serious question. I don't know the rules of cruise ships and I find that comment quite demeaning. I figured a hookah (strictly for tobacco products) would be under the same guidelines as a tobacco pipe. Also, it's not something I would "lug around". :) just as any other luggage I would simply leave it in my room and utilize it on the balcony. And as for the ukulele, I knew some cruise lines are okay with instruments. Didnt know about NCL though. Thanks for your tips and pointers!! :)

Flaps

Then what rules cigarettes out as not being fire hazards?

Cigarettes don't stand independently and fall over....I lived in the middle east for many years.... it often happens .... can you imagine it on a rocking ship!!??

I didn't mean it to be demeaning at all, the combination of bringing both ukeleles and a hookah just seemed funny to me. And yes, I do know it's used for tobacco, did not know it has other 'uses'. I guess I just couldn't imagine anyone packing both ukuleles and a hookah for a cruise, since they would take up some space.

Sorry!

Actually Princess allows musical instruments to be brought onboard by passengers. I'm sure if someone is someone is playing too loud and someone complains, they may be told by the front desk to be more considerate. My hubby did bring his guitar on our last two cruises -- we are within driving distance of the Port of LA. Of course, it's an acoustic one (he's not going to schlep his amps, etc. with on a ship) and he knows how to keep down the volume (and he doesn't sing loudly). He does play once in a week in a downtown LA club during happy hour and has played elsewhere, as well as give guitar lessons to kids (after he retires from his full time job, we intend to start up his teaching business as our trial run a couple of years ago worked out nicely). He does try to find a little nook to play in, and even some ship's officers gave him a thumbs up when walking by, after listening to him.

Those two cruises were the Hawaiian cruises and there are uke classes. Some passengers do bring their own ukes to the cruise, while others borrow ones from the instructor to practice on (there's a combined hula/uke passenger show on the last night -- I took the hula classes and danced in that show). I would imagine if others have complained about the uke music being heard...the instructor would inform his students not to play in their cabins. In fact, we did bring an uke on the second to the last cruise so my daughter and hubby can take the uke class. After one of those classes, my hubby and some other passengers got together with their guitars and had a jam session on the Promenade deck. Again, they were very good players and none of them were using electrical guitars.

The pipes and your instruments will not be allowed on any ship.

They were allowed on the Explorer. One teen brought her guitar, and here is a picture of a boy that brought his bagpipe and played it at the pool to a very appreciative adience.

_DSC0410.jpg?t=1309917268

If you are innovative, I am sure that the bagpipes could also double as a hoohah.;)

Cigarettes don't stand independently and fall over....I lived in the middle east for many years.... it often happens .... can you imagine it on a rocking ship!!??

Yeah, I forgot about that risk. It's a challenge sometimes even on stable ground! Thanks for pointing that out.

I didn't mean it to be demeaning at all, the combination of bringing both ukeleles and a hookah just seemed funny to me. And yes, I do know it's used for tobacco, did not know it has other 'uses'. I guess I just couldn't imagine anyone packing both ukuleles and a hookah for a cruise, since they would take up some space.

Sorry!

No harm, no foul. Thanks for your tips. :)

If you are innovative, I am sure that the bagpipes could also double as a hoohah.;)

hahaha! :D

I think the OP's question is about as serious as the poster who asked if she could bring her pet guinea pig on board.

I am actually quite serious and plan to bring my ukulele on board for those nights we spend at sea.

I'm not really opposed to people who love music or are attached to their instrument, but I would be irritated if the people in the balcony cabin next to me had uke's, bagpipes, guitars, flutes,...ok any musical instrument, especially for the nights at sea. I don't care what level of talent is involved. I also don't want to hear a strolling bagpipe serenade, no matter how cute the kid. Please don't think everyone is amused, impressed, want so hear your particular type of music or shouldn't have objections. It's just not right to impose your hobby, vocation, talent on anyone else on the cruise ship. PLease let the cruise ship provide the entertainment for just one week.

Archived