Flow Rider questions

My wife and I are cruising on FOS at the end of October. She has some concerns about the Flowrider. First question is how much do lessons for flowrider cost and approximatly how long do they last. We tried signing up in advance online but the link is grayed out. How deep is the water on the flowrider? it looks like only a few inches in the picture. it seems like you could get hurt if you fall wrong. Do many people get hurt doing this activity?:eek:

My friend and I are cruising on the FOS in 2 weeks. He had been trying to sign up for lessons for the last 2 months and the link just opened up today. The lesson is 60 dollars. My understanding is there are normally 8-10 people per lesson and it lasts around 1 hour.

The water depth is about 3 inches max and it flows over a rubbery, springy, surface. The back and sides are padded but there is still the potential for injury. I've heard of people wiping out and getting injured on the backwall... it's rare but it's not unheard of. I personally have had some spectacular wipeouts and have, so far, escaped any serious injury. :D

The boogie board is inherently safer than standup, by the way.

My friend and I are cruising on the FOS in 2 weeks. He had been trying to sign up for lessons for the last 2 months and the link just opened up today. The lesson is 60 dollars. My understanding is there are normally 8-10 people per lesson and it lasts around 1 hour.

Yeah, when I did it it was $60 per person for an hour. Minimum of five people and maximum of 10. We had five in our group so it was great! :)

A private lesson is pretty much the same as a free session with a maximum of 10 people. So if you can get to the flowrider when it's not crowded, a private lesson isn't necessary.

You can fall and/or get thrown against the back wall. It's pretty common actually. But everything is padded. I got a nasty bruise and was a bit sore from one spectacular wipe-out.

...So if you can get to the flowrider when it's not crowded, a private lesson isn't necessary....

Yes, completely agreed. If they are open when you board, that can be a less busy time. Also port days, if they are open.

Crippling injuries are rare, but not unheard of. There have been reports of broken limbs, but that doesn't happen often. I'd agree that boogie boarding can be less dangerous than full stand up surfing. The staff always is there to help you, not to worry.

Have fun on Freedom. :)

And, make sure you wear something that won't ride up or down or fall off...the water can strip your top or bottom right off you....although, the spectators count on a "wardrobe malfunction"....that's why they watch!!!

Yep, I have witnessed a few "wardrobe malfunctions". But the staff is good about holding a board up in front of you while you replace your clothing:D!

The flowrider is a blast - I do it all the time and I'm am 60 years old.

As others have said, where the water flows is well padded. The end of the flowrider is rubberized but a little hard. Best advice I give beginners for standup surfing is to try to land on your butt and go over the end of the wave feet first. Then you simply stand up and exit.

I have noticed the ladies get the hang of it faster than guys, they seem to relax on the board and not fight it.

Lou

8 to 10 people at $60 per person? $480 to $600 per hour? Gosh, how can I get a job like that?

You can sign up when you board the ship too. Go to the sports deck. There is a bar and a sign up area near the flow rider. Don't have a drink in your hand that has alcohol or they will make you wait 3 hours before signing the release and you can't make a reservation either. Happened to our group.:p

My Crew loves the FlowRider! My husband won the "Best of the Best" contest on our last cruise. The previous posters have pretty much summed up the depth of the water and the cost of the lessons. We try to rent-out the FlowRider a few times while on-board...the cost is $300 for an hour...and you get two instructors (At least that's what happened this last time.) We usually end up with 4-6 people...sometimes family members...sometimes folks that we met while on the FlowRider...we just split the cost.) Keep in mind that the group lessons can have quite a few people who are not very experienced on the FlowRider...thus taking up big amounts of time on the surf-machine.

Best times to use the FlowRider without a reservation is departure day, and early in the mornings. Also...booking the FlowRider for lessons or private party can be done once on-board...no worries...they usually have openings throughout the week, too.

Oh, and I have never done the FlowRider. It can be quite a jolt when you wipe-out! (I take the pictures!) :D

Crystal

Usually the frist or second day while at the flowrider, my DH and DS recruit 3 or 4 other people to rent out the flowride for an hour total cost is $300 divide that by 5 or 6 and you get $60 per person or $50 per person...It is well worth it if you love it....By the way my son has been the best of the best winner on his last 3 cruises...Highly recommend doing the rental...

My wife and I are cruising on FOS at the end of October. She has some concerns about the Flowrider. First question is how much do lessons for flowrider cost and approximatly how long do they last. We tried signing up in advance online but the link is grayed out. How deep is the water on the flowrider? it looks like only a few inches in the picture. it seems like you could get hurt if you fall wrong. Do many people get hurt doing this activity?:eek:

I'm going to answer a couple of your questions and then read your replies. I haven't looked at private lessons, but for the rest of it, the water is about 2" deep. Most injuries seem minor, sprains - lost toenails, bruises. I've heard of a few broken toes and at least on a cruise ship the expense of visiting the doctor is worse than the injury and they really can't do much for you. My two cruises with Flowriders I waited until the final sea days to try it out so if I got hurt it didn't run the entire cruise. Now that I'm a little more experienced, I would try the boogie board earlier in the cruise, but I might still wait till the later days to try standing up.

If you do fall and get "flushed" to the back, my advice is keep your feet and toes up till you get to the back and then try to stand.

And, make sure you wear something that won't ride up or down or fall off...the water can strip your top or bottom right off you....although, the spectators count on a "wardrobe malfunction"....that's why they watch!!!

You are kidding - right?

Actually - I like to watch but the wardrobe malfunction reason NEVER even occurred to me. I would be embarrassed for the person, not happy to see their private parts.

M

I'm in that 55-60 age group, would like to give the FlowRider a go on our Oasis cruise next may, more of a been there, did that kind of thing. I'm not real interested in lessons or even doing the full stand up ride, but figured the down low, boogie board thing may be more my speed. I'm thinking a few pointers from the crew, I should be able to flow-boogie-ride eh?

I'm in that 55-60 age group, would like to give the FlowRider a go on our Oasis cruise next may, more of a been there, did that kind of thing. I'm not real interested in lessons or even doing the full stand up ride, but figured the down low, boogie board thing may be more my speed. I'm thinking a few pointers from the crew, I should be able to flow-boogie-ride eh?

Yes...boogie board is a lot easier...you should be fine...have fun

I fell backwards down the slope. I had pretty bad whiplash as I could not control the fall. I am 48 and not as fit asxi should be but I was a skateboarder in my teens.

I tried it several times before the injury and it was a blast. I found stand up easier than boogie.

Have fun

Yes...give it a try! The FlowRider staff is awesome! And they do give really good information about how to ride either the boogie board or the surf board. I say, try it out early in the week...you never know...it might be something that you really enjoy!

To debache...congrats to your son! Three times at Best of the Best! He must be really great at the FlowRider! For our next cruise my youngest will be tall enough to do the stand-up. From a little try on our last cruise...shhh...We think that he is going to be pretty good at the stand-up...I think that he will give my husband some good competition!

Enjoy!

Crystal

Yes you can have a serious injury. I dislocated my ankle a year ago on the 4th day of 8 day cruise. It definitely put a damper on my enjoyment of the rest of the cruise as I was in a wheelchair and had quite a bit of pain. I had to wear a boot for 8 weeks and do 6 weeks of physical therapy. Not saying this to scare anyone, just be aware that you don't sign the waiver for nothing. I personally would be too afraid to try it again, but my family wants to for sure!

It's possible to get an injury, but most everything is padded. If it's a concern, just do the boogie board (laying down on your stomach)....don't try to stand up.

You're much more likely to lose your clothing than to get injured.

Archived