Clarification please on alcohol policy for 20 year olds

yorkiescot

Our son may join us on cruise to Panama Canal next year. Would he be allowed to have a glass of wine with meals in the dining room or on our balcony?

The legal drinking age for teenagers in the UK is 18 and even younger in some European countries.

I thought I read once, that UK cruisers who travel with thier parents, can consume alcohol if the parent signs some type of waiver. That might be only on European cruises though? Either way, on your balcony I am sure you will be fine, the dining room is a different matter.

Our son may join us on cruise to Panama Canal next year. Would he be allowed to have a glass of wine with meals in the dining room or on our balcony?

The legal drinking age for teenagers in the UK is 18 and even younger in some European countries.

Not a very satisfactory solution to this ridiculous rule, but you can always let him get a large glass of wine in your stateroom and then walk to the dining room. I can't imagine anyone would say anything with him being with you.

The rule on Princess is 21 to drink alcohol. As long as he doesn't get drunk, there will probably be little problem with him having a drink on the balcony or in the cabin.

However, I would think twice before letting him either bring a glass of wine from the cabin or buying a drink and giving it to him. If you are caught, you can be put off the ship at the next port.

I thought I read once, that UK cruisers who travel with thier parents, can consume alcohol if the parent signs some type of waiver. That might be only on European cruises though? Either way, on your balcony I am sure you will be fine, the dining room is a different matter.

On some UK cruises this is the case.

21 is 21 and thats their policy. ;)

The rule on Princess is 21 to drink alcohol. As long as he doesn't get drunk, there will probably be little problem with him having a drink on the balcony or in the cabin.

However, I would think twice before letting him either bring a glass of wine from the cabin or buying a drink and giving it to him. If you are caught, you can be put off the ship at the next port.

I agree. We saw it almost happen last year. All the security team has to do is look up your cabin number to see who's in there and what their age is, so just be careful. As long as he isn't drunk, I doubt that he'd ever have a problem, but you don't want him to get caught drinking or ALL of you could very well be tossed off at the next port.

(I don't agree with the 21 yr. old rule, but since we aren't debating it, I'll keep my comments to myself. :D )

I agree. We saw it almost happen last year. All the security team has to do is look up your cabin number to see who's in there and what their age is, so just be careful. As long as he isn't drunk, I doubt that he'd ever have a problem, but you don't want him to get caught drinking or ALL of you could very well be tossed off at the next port.

(I don't agree with the 21 yr. old rule, but since we aren't debating it, I'll keep my comments to myself. :D )

DrivesLike,

I'd love to hear the details from what you saw. Was it an older teen drinking with his parents?

From what I understand, Princess does conform to UK drinking laws for ships that are homeported in the UK. Everywhere else, it's US law. My son and his friend (who look young but are of age) have had to carry their ID's in addition to their cruise cards onboard the ship on our last two cruises with them. Once the bartender remembered them, it was no issue, but they were constantly "carded" everywhere else... :(

DrivesLike,

I'd love to hear the details from what you saw. Was it an older teen drinking with his parents?

We watched most of the scene unfold from our balcony. Three under-age males returned to the docked ship very drunk and acting obnoxiously. They hopped over the little metal railing that is outside of ships to create lines (of sorts) for people putting their purchases through the security scanners as they re-boarded the ship.

Next thing we know, we hear people running down the hall, laughing and noisily entering the cabin next to us. About 5 mins. later, we heard a pounding on their cabin door and when we looked in the hallway, there was the head of security and some other officers looking quite stern. They had a heated conversation with them AND their parents (we heard part of it as we were sitting on our balcony because their balcony door was open).

They were told that they were to remain in their cabins until they were sober. If they were caught drinking, were found intoxicated while onboard the ship, or returned from port again intoxicated, they would ALL be removed from the ship at the next port. Amazingly, this seemed to do the trick with these guys. They were as quiet as church mice from then on. lol

We watched most of the scene unfold from our balcony. Three under-age males returned to the docked ship very drunk and acting obnoxiously. They hopped over the little metal railing that is outside of ships to create lines (of sorts) for people putting their purchases through the security scanners as they re-boarded the ship.

Next thing we know, we hear people running down the hall, laughing and noisily entering the cabin next to us. About 5 mins. later, we heard a pounding on their cabin door and when we looked in the hallway, there was the head of security and some other officers looking quite stern. They had a heated conversation with them AND their parents (we heard part of it as we were sitting on our balcony because their balcony door was open).

They were told that they were to remain in their cabins until they were sober. If they were caught drinking, were found intoxicated while onboard the ship, or returned from port again intoxicated, they would ALL be removed from the ship at the next port. Amazingly, this seemed to do the trick with these guys. They were as quiet as church mice from then on. lol

Interesting story... I wonder what would have happened if they came back from a port that allowed them to drink (say Mexico) intoxicated?

Interesting story... I wonder what would have happened if they came back from a port that allowed them to drink (say Mexico) intoxicated?

It was in St. Thomas and their drinking age is 18 despite being a US territory. So, as I understand it, they were legally drinking but once on the ship, they could not be drunk.

When my dd was under 21 she was not allowed to purchase alcohol on board, but she was allowed 1 glass of wine out of the bottle we purchased for the family in the dining room. At no time was she asked to produce proof of ID, after all they just need to check her cruise card.

Whether this was at the waiters discretion I don't know but throughout the cruise we had no problems.

Babs

What a difference 30 years makes! :D

In 1981 our then 14 year old son was allowed to drink at the Captains Cocktail party. They came around, offered him a drink and he chose a Sour Lemon <something>. It turned him off drinking so much he doesn't drink hardly anything to this day.

Don't say it ... yes we were bad parents but we didn't want to mystify drinking. It worked, for us anyway.

On a recent cruise, my 20 year old nephew was allowed to drink wine in the MDR. The waiter asked his father if it was okay, and when assured it was, he was served.

This may not be policy, or be common across ships, but it was not an issue at all.

That was my thought too. I've traveled with a niece several years ago who was 20 so not legal on the ship but legal in Mexico. Of course, she did have some drinks in port. Would Princess have a right to say anything about this?

That was my thought too. I've traveled with a niece several years ago who was 20 so not legal on the ship but legal in Mexico. Of course, she did have some drinks in port. Would Princess have a right to say anything about this?

Princess has absolutely no right to do or say anything about a 20 year old having a drink while on Mexico soil. But once a passenger (under 21 or otherwise) exhibits drunken behavior whilst walking up the gangplank or on the ship, it has every right to take whatever action it thinks is necessary to protect the safety and decorum of its ship. So if a 20 year old downs a Margarita at Senor Frog's--no problem. If a passenger downs 7 of them and stumbles on to the ship--problem.

When my son was 18 he drank wine with us every night at dinner. We were never asked for an ID. That was six years ago, maybe things have changed.

Yes, this too has been the case for us on our last two cruises. ( my son is 20)

We are from Canada and he has been legally drinking since he was 18 years old! I agree with gooch47 - we "demystified" alcohol when he was younger also. He is a responsible adult in our eyes and those who know him will agree. He will be drinking wine with us at dinner and the occasional beer.

Believe me, being 21 does not absolve you from drunkenness and stupidity....self discipline is lacking in many adults that I have seen on cruise ships!

As far as I am concerned the US laws when it comes to alcohol consumption are much to strict. I cannot believe that you can go to war for your country at the age of 18 years old...but...you cannot have a beer with your buddy.

ASININE!

Ok, for all you "haters" out there, remember, this is strictly my opinion and I am simply expressing how I feel.

A woman has to vent on occasion! Ha, Ha ;):D

Archived