ENGINE Room Tour (Behind the Fun)

Limeia

Has anyone done this before? Carnival sent me information about it and they visit alot of "behind the scene" things. Although it states that they visit the "engine control room". My DH and some of the others would like to see the engine room, but if this is just a room with lots of computers and controls I'm not sure if that is what they really want to see.

Can anyone tell me about the tour if you went on one and do you think it

was worth the $95? (They really aren't interested in backstage, laundry, galley, etc...)

Thanks. We cruise Dec. 4th on the Legend. Whoo Hoo - only 41 more days! :D

Has anyone done this before? Carnival sent me information about it and they visit alot of "behind the scene" things. Although it states that they visit the "engine control room". My DH and some of the others would like to see the engine room, but if this is just a room with lots of computers and controls I'm not sure if that is what they really want to see.

was worth the $95? (They really aren't interested in backstage, laundry, galley, etc...)

They'll only take you to the control room. No passengers (even a vast majority of the staff) will ever see the engine room.

If they are not really interested in the other parts of the tour, I would skip it. We took the tour on 2 (perhaps 3?) ships. We enjoyed it - but it does drag on at some points!

Tom

I took the tour on the Pride, I enjoyed it very much. I am one that wants to know how things work so it was awesome for me. I would have liked to see the engine room but that will not happen, in the control room they have a monitor for the engine room camera so they can watch the engine.

Hi Limeia. We will also be sailing the Legend on Dec 4. Come on over to the roll call section and join in the fun.

here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1377836

While I have to admit to some bias here (my son is studying to become a ship's engineering officer at the US Merchant Marine Academy), I really thought the engine control room was one of the highlights of the tour. You see not only engine controls, but firefighting controls, environmental controls, temperature, etc. Plus you get to meet the Chief Engineer for a Q&A. I can understand why they don't offer tours of the engine room - aside from concerns about mobility, you'd probably need to wear ear plugs or headphones - they're pretty much standard equipment in an engine room today.

I did the Behind the Fun tour and you see almost all of the operations of the ship. No passenger will ever see the engine room is true!!! The noise would be very loud and it is a secure area with qualified staff allowed only. The control room is quite interesting and they are firm in telling the guests to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!!!

The tour is worth $95!!!!

I took the tour on the Liberty last month. It was really interesting, as others have said.

They are VERY strict..after we left the library, we were wanded down by Security. And asked if we had any cameras and cell phones.

I am curious about the duct tape though.

I asked the Captain if they look out the windows for Pier Runners. He asked me "What are Pier Runners?" He sure works in a bubble. Of course I told him what they are.

He also didn't know where the public superstition coin is, he said there was none. Yes there is, I went and checked that night.

I did the Behind the Fun tour and you see almost all of the operations of the ship. No passenger will ever see the engine room is true!!! The noise would be very loud and it is a secure area with qualified staff allowed only. The control room is quite interesting and they are firm in telling the guests to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!!!

The tour is worth $95!!!!

Agreed! The behind the scenes tour is well worth $95. Worth it to do at least once, especially on one of the larger ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi we are on the Legend 12/04. We were also wondering about the behind the fun tour. How did you get info on it prior to sail date, could you make reservations ahead of time? Thanks see you there

I don't know about prior information, except for the people who have already taken the tour.

The tour can not be reserved in advance, so as soon as you board, head on over to the excursion desk, that is where you reserve the tour.

Melanie

We did it on the Glory 18 months ago and well worth the $ 95. Great 4 hours.

We might or might not do it again but it would have to be on another class of ship.

We took the tour on the Dream and Sensation as I recall (and I want to say on a Spirit class ship as well... but who knows)!

On the Dream I just remember all the stairs and walking -- we must have covered that ship from one end to the other a few times. We were actually very ready to sit down and relax afterwards!! Take comfortable shoes!!!

Tom

Hi we are on the Legend 12/04. We were also wondering about the behind the fun tour. How did you get info on it prior to sail date, could you make reservations ahead of time? Thanks see you there

When you board go to excursion desk or purser desk and book. Only about 16 can book so it fills up early.

Only prior info I know of is on CC. Do a search.

As soon as you get on the ship go right to the excursion desk and sign up. You can't pre book this and they only have a limited amount of openings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

I did this tour on the Miracle September 17 this year and loved it! A lot of walking but great to see how the ship operates. The highlight for me was the bridge and meeting the Captain.

Having a picture taken with the captain and getting a picture with everyone on the tour at the bow of the ship was really cool too. Not a picture you can just get everyday while on a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

I did this tour on the Carnival Destiny four weeks ago. Note that it was only $55 there - the price seems to vary based on the ship.

As others have noted, no, you won't get into the engine room itself. Not only for security reasons, but also for safety reasons - it's hot, very noisy, and there are probably quite a few hazards.

As for security, as noted elsewhere, they don't allow cameras or cell phones, and had a security guard wand us before the tour started. They also had a security guard present at various points - the bridge, engine control room, and... the liquor storage area... :D

As far as whether it's worth the price - for my $55, I not only got a wonderful behind the scenes look at the ship, but also a souvenir hat, lanyard, some tasty dessert bites during the galley tour, a plate of chocolate covered strawberries sent to my cabin, and an 8x10 photo of our group with the captain on the bridge. I suspect things vary a bit from ship to ship, but I found it worth the money spent on the Destiny, at least.

As others have already mentioned, but it bears repeating - get to the shore excursion desk as soon as you board to book the tour. It's very limited, and fills up very quickly.

Just got off the Ecstasy and took the tour. It was fantastic! My favorite parts were the galley (although the chef was very hard to understand) and backstage (we got to meet one of the stars of the evening shows). The view from the Bridge is just breathtaking. Well worth the $55!

As others have noted, no, you won't get into the engine room itself. Not only for security reasons, but also for safety reasons - it's hot, very noisy, and there are probably quite a few hazards.
Exactly the problem. This is my son in the engine room on one of his ships - note the headband to keep the sweat out of his eyes and the earplugs to protect his hearing....

2544956260094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

I was debating on doing this tour on the Valor next month. Can anyone tell me what time of day the tour generally is?? We only have two sea days, and I didn't want to hog the last sea day alone on a tour. (rest of my family doesn't want to go) I love stuff like this, and it's my first real cruise. So, I'm thinking I would really enjoy it.

Archived