Anytime Dining Table for Two Sapphire Princess

cs4225

We choose Anytime Dining for our Princess cruise because its only the two of us. Our 3 cruises have only been for 7 days and since we don't participate in the formal night so we usually eat in the dining room 3 or 4 times during our 7 day cruise. On the Caribbean and the Golden when dining at 6 pm there may or may not be a wait for a table but when seated the table for two seemed to be spread out in the dining room. On the Sapphire we had a 45 minute wait on the first night. (Had to have their prime rib). When our pager buzzed, a group of us diners were led to a section where there were 4 tables for two so close together that it may have well been a table for 8. We were all served by the same waitress. It was a little bit uncomfortable because we were so close to each other and nobody wanted to speak to each other. Is this a new Princess table for two policy or is a ship to ship basis.

They make the best use of space to seat as many people as possible at a time. Even though the tables are close it shouldn't have made a difference. The fun part about being on a cruise is that you get to meet people and at a table for two that close together you can either chose to talk to your neighbor or not. If you have something you need to keep private in that situation, then I would discuss it in the cabin and not at the table. Keeping the conversation low would help.

On the last couple of cruises we have taken, on different Princess ships, the tables have been setup that way. 3 or 5 tables for 2 along a wall very close together. You could try asking for a table for 4 just for the two of you. It might work if you were dining at an off time when it wasn't as crowded.

Maybe I need to be a little more specific. We waited 45 minutes for a table for two at 6 pm. It seemed like they waited for the section with the four tables for two to clear out before seating all 8 of us. It seems like they wanted all of us to be seated at the same time to make it easier

We had that problem on our first Princess cruise (that was back a few years ago so I dont think its a new concept)

Our table was so close to the other table (which seated 2 ladies who did nothing but complain to the waiter the entire time)

we never went back to the dining room ever again. (after 3 cruises)

I agree. You might tell them when you get there that you don't mind waiting for a table for 4 for just the two of you and see what they say. All they can do is say no then you can decide what to do next. I know how you feel. We are not fond of that table arrangement.

Maybe I need to be a little more specific. We waited 45 minutes for a table for two at 6 pm. It seemed like they waited for the section with the four tables for two to clear out before seating all 8 of us. It seems like they wanted all of us to be seated at the same time to make it easier

As the demand for large and small tables varies suring the evening, they try to accommodate people as quickly as possible. In your case, you waited 45 minutes for a table for 8 to clear our and be split into 4 tables for two. Had they not split it, it could have been a much longer wait.

People who choose tables for 2 do so because they really don't want to talk to others around them during dinner & even though the tables are close together most respect that. Occasionally people will say a few words to be polite but that's usually the end of it. If you want to talk, choose a larger table & leave the sort after small tables for those that don't need or want the conversation.

Another question. Is the table for two set up on the Sapphire Princess the same for the other ships. As stated in the original post the Caribbean and the Golden when we cruise with them had tables for two spread out in the dining room. Is it still the same?

We had that problem on our first Princess cruise (that was back a few years ago so I dont think its a new concept)

Our table was so close to the other table (which seated 2 ladies who did nothing but complain to the waiter the entire time)

we never went back to the dining room ever again. (after 3 cruises)

Serene56, that would have been your loss, as the meals in the MDR are usually far superior to the ones served in Horizon Court.

Yes, the tables on the Sapphire are close together... I never had to wait more than a few minutes to be seated, if that.

Another question. Is the table for two set up on the Sapphire Princess the same for the other ships. As stated in the original post the Caribbean and the Golden when we cruise with them had tables for two spread out in the dining room. Is it still the same?
The table for two setup on the Sapphire is quite different from the Golden and the Star. The Sapphire has four smaller AT Dining Rooms with a side wall in each. Most of the tables for two line up against this wall, with a long bench seat and narrow tables and a chair on the outside. We did not like this setup at all. The Golden and Star, on the other hand, had very nice tables for two scattered throughout the AT Dining Room.

We learned on the Star last week that the new Princess ships will have two rows each of tables for two along both sides of the dining room by the windows due to the increased demand. We usually like to eat with others, but did notice that the only long waits for tables were those for two. Interesting that Princess is reacting to the trend for private tables!

The table for two setup on the Sapphire is quite different from the Golden and the Star. The Sapphire has four smaller AT Dining Rooms with a side wall in each. Most of the tables for two line up against this wall, with a long bench seat and narrow tables and a chair on the outside. We did not like this setup at all. The Golden and Star, on the other hand, had very nice tables for two scattered throughout the AT Dining Room.

Thanks Jasperdo, This was the answer to my question. Though were enjoyed the Sapphire very much the dining for two was a bit uncomfortable. Maybe the next time I will know what to expect and our dining experience will be better. I want to tell all of you that we are not anti social (well maybe a little during dinner) because we had lunch on the Sapphire where we asked for a table for two but we ended up sitting on a table for 8. Yes we ended enjoying everyones company.

Serene56, that would have been your loss, as the meals in the MDR are usually far superior to the ones served in Horizon Court.

Yes, the tables on the Sapphire are close together... I never had to wait more than a few minutes to be seated, if that.

It was still all good- I got my meals in the buffet area - got to sit with my honey and it felt intimate - not many people were eating at the buffet.

Will probably do that on the Ruby too. (since my dad will be going with us)

We had the same experience on the Sapphire last year. When they took us in to seat us in the "line-up", we looked around and saw the very last table near the entrance, and next to a railing, was empty. We went to the maitre

'd and asked if we could sit there, explaining that we did not want to sit so closely to other diners. He was very gracious about it, and we asked for that table every night. Since we eat late, there was no problem with waiting, and they even cleared off the table next to us so there was an empty table between us and the people one over. They really appreciated the privacy, too.

I read a lot of threads on several CruiseCritic boards about tables for two, and what always amuses me is the way other posters constantly try to convince we "two-ers" that we would have more fun if we sat with all the other nice strangers. We did that for 25 years, and are much happier with just the two of us.

Talk to the head waiter/maitre 'd as you come in the door about what you want. Otherwise, you get THEIR version of a table for two sometimes.

Archived