Freedom of the Seas Review w/lots of pics! 10/16 to 10/23

BeachChik

Beachchick, you have done a great job of posting the compass, and pics. I am on this ship in a month and my grandkids will get a kick out of the many venues they will get to use. Thank you:):)

Ha! It kind of looks like it. :)

I took alot of the ship photos late at night so I wouldn't have alot of people in the pics.

I kinda figured that.. In a way, it's sorta spooky to see it empty. But at the same time, it really lets you see the ship without seeing distractions. :)

We are going with a group of 14 in January on the Freedom of the Seas, and we too are doing the Eastern Caribbean. We were on this same ship for a Western Caribbean cruise in January of '09 and to get ready for the trip I happened accross this site.

Your review was outstanding! After reading all that you did I can't wait for our trip to begin. Thanks for the review and pictures.

Thank you for your wonderful review and all of the lovely pics. You've certainly given a lot of your time to help others! We are on the Freedom this Sunday! Cannot wait!! She's a lovely ship....

Had to laugh at your comment about your hubby's special name for the one piece of...um....artwork? :D

Shows

In this area Royal definitely beats Carnival. For the most part the shows were very good and entertaining. I did take photos at each show. All taken without flash which I did ask and is allowed. They do not allow videotaping or flash photography.

Marquee

This wasn't the best show though still ok. Its a mix of various broadway shows and I wasn't familiar with some of them.

1302.jpg

1292.jpg

1272.jpg

1262.jpg

1232.jpg

1212.jpg

Freedom Ice

This show was awesome, a not to be missed show. It was amazing what they were able to do with such a small space on a moving ship. We got there early and were in the front row on one side and were great seats.

1643.jpg

1623.jpg

1553.jpg

In my opinion this hula hoops part was the best performance of the show. It was very cool

1473.jpg

1433.jpg

1403.jpg

Thank you soooooo much for this great review, pictures, compasses, etc.! We are heading out on the Freedom on 11/6 and can hardly wait! One quick question, and I apologize to others if this has been asked already - is there a "chocolate" breakfast on the FOS? I had read about this on the boards previously, but was under the impression it's on the Oasis and Allure. Just curious ;). Thanks again!!!

Thank you soooooo much for this great review, pictures, compasses, etc.! We are heading out on the Freedom on 11/6 and can hardly wait! One quick question, and I apologize to others if this has been asked already - is there a "chocolate" breakfast on the FOS? I had read about this on the boards previously, but was under the impression it's on the Oasis and Allure. Just curious ;). Thanks again!!!

They do a chocolate breakfast with the Character breakfast. When you arrive there is a basket with various chocolate pastries. You can order additional chocolate items off the menu like chocolate waffles, shakes and chocolate chip pancakes. You can also order regular breakfast items.

Thank you! For the life of me I could not remember his name.

No problem - also for "Marquee," the songs/musicals featured are:

42nd Street

- 42nd Street

- We’re in the Money

- Lullaby of Broadway

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

- Joseph Megamix

Sunset Boulevard

- With One Look

Phantom of the Opera

- Phantom of the Opera

- Masquerade

- Music of the Night

- All I ask of You

Cabaret

- Wilkommen

- Money

- Cabaret

La Cage Aux Folles

- Best of Times

- La Cage Aux Folles

A Chorus Line

- What I did for Love

- One

I agree with you - definitely not my fave. As someone who likes musicals, I thought the exclusion of popular, well-known shows like Rent, Cats, Les Miz, West Side Story, and Oklahoma in favor of four songs from Phantom and Sunset Boulevard was off. I’ll forgive not having Chicago since that's Allure's show, but still. No "Memory" or "Seasons of Love?" Not a very good representation of Broadway and the West End!

Earl Turner

This wasn't a bad show however the music was a little before our

time :eek::D. If you like oldies music you will probably love his show. He was a great performer even though I didn't care for some of the music.

083-1.jpg

He was making fun of todays music in these pics, 50 cent specifically. It was very funny.

082.jpg

081.jpg

We missed the farewell show. We were just too tired and had to pack. We did see the comedy show by Graham Seymour. It was very good. In this aspect I wish they would follow carnival. Carnival does multiple comedy shows each night which we enjoyed. I wish Royal would do the same. I like how they held it in the main theater so you didn't have to worry about not being able to get a seat.

The prebooking of shows is new for the Freedom. There have been many discussions about whether they were really needed or not. We went to the 9pm shows, all prebooked. People have said prebooking isn't needed but I would disagree. For the first 3 nights of shows all seats were taken and there was a line of people standing in the back through the whole show. So if you have the set dining times and know you will see the late/early shows I would definitely recommend prebooking them.

Ports/Excursions

We really just wanted to relax this time as we had done all kinds of tours on our last cruise. So really we were just looking for nice beaches to lounge.

Cozumel, Mexico - Nachi Cocum Beach

Overall we enjoyed Nachi and would go again. It is a $15 cab ride one way from the port. It looks questionable when you first arrive but nice once you get inside. They take your picture when you first get there. Normally I am not a person that purchases photo's but ours was funny and it was only $12 so I couldn't resist.

Once inside they lead you to your chairs for the day and take the remaining payment. They randomly come around asking what you would like to drink. I found the drink service a little slow and waited quite a while for one soda. The mixed drinks were VERY weak. In fact the couple next to use would order a drink and shots on the side that they added themselves. I would recommend drinking beer as they are in bottles and as such they can't control the alcohol in them.

Lunch is included and it was very good. You get an appetizer, main coarse and dessert. You can eat in their outdoor seating area or on the beach.

The beach itself is small. It looks like they have had some beach erosion. You can't really see it in the pictures but there is a drop down right before you get to the water. The water is a little murky but clears up once you swim out a little.

Seating area

0223.jpg

Pool, Bar, Hot tub area

0213.jpg

0233.jpg

0183.jpg

0193.jpg

0422.jpg

Lunch

They do have a decent sized menu of items to chose from. We did decide to eat on the beach, it was so nice. You have small tables and they bring everything out on a giant platter.

We had chips and salsa, Nacho's, Buffalo chicken wings, Chicken quesadillas and chicken Taco's. We didn't do dessert as we were too full.

0363.jpg

0382.jpg

0373.jpg

0392.jpg

Can I please ask what setting you use for your camera to get such CLEAR photos without a flash? Especially at the ice show where they were obviously moving. And what type of camera do you have?

I have a Canon Rebel T2i which I love. To take the night shots I turn off the flash and turn the ISO setting up to allow more light into the picture. You do have to be careful to not set the ISO too high or the pictures can get grainy depending on the quality of the camera. I did some trial and error pics first to see what ISO number would work best.

I use this as a guide:

Bright Daylight - 100

Sunset/overcast - 100 to 400

Indoors and night shots - 400 and up

Archived