Video of rough seas - Silhouette Transatlantic

bhughey

YIKES! :eek:

We are sailing on the Silhouette in 45 days (not that I am counting) and this was cool (yet scary a bit). We are just sailing from NJ to the Caribbean so hoping not to run into this type of rough seas. The video is enough for me. Glad you made it home in one piece.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, thanks for posting this, I'm a bit jealous, I really enjoy heavy seas! Hope you had a great cruise!

So do I. I love a good roller coaster ride. My sea legs are the best there are! We're on the Silhouette in Dec. '12 and I wouldn't mind in the least if we got a storm just like the one bhughey encountered. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for posting. My DD and I did a TA from SJU to Southampton w/ 2 days of waves 18 to 25 feet w/ sustained winds of 60 knots. Like that 2nd wave you caught, these were higher than my DD's outside Summit cabin window, completely covering the window... (lowest passenger deck). She tried sleeping curled up in the shower because the noise of the waves and the creaking of the ship kept her awake ...she's 5'6" so it was a tight squeeze. It was amazingly fun; and it was as if the waves were too big to get seasick. I don't know of anyone who was ill. Walking was a real trial. We still talk about it as our best vacation ever. Wish I'd had a video cam or phone w/ video capacity like you did. And it was fun listening to you as the camera ran!

Two things came to mind as I watched this; one, considering the date this was recorded, I'll bet this was the same storm that dumped all that snow on us in the northeastern part of the US, and two, the steadiness of the hand holding the recording device speaks volumes as to the steadiness of the Silhouette as she cuts through the rough seas.:cool:

bhughey, great video. Thanks for sharing. Because I had friends onboard I was keeping track as you crossed, knowing that the seas were pretty rough. I'm pretty ok with sea sickness, but the one place that makes me a bit queasy is up in the Sky Lounge where you shot the waves breaking over the bow. It rocks a bit up there and I think because it is such a big room it makes me feel it more. Hope you now have your land legs back :)

Very interesting. From what deck was the video taken? It would appear that you experienced 10-12 fot waves.

They were more like 25 feet plus. Not getting into the technical stuff too much, but it is not just the height of the waves, but the frequency and wave period (distance between each one) that affects how it feels on the ship. The wave period can be very long if the wave has travelled over a long distance eg eastern Atlantic or Pacific and make you feel the rise and fall of the ship more with more power. The wave period on this trip was long because the seas had built up over quite a distance.

Phil

[quote name=excitedofharpenden;31281507

They were more like 25 feet plus. Not getting into the technical stuff too much' date=' but it is not just the height of the waves, but the frequency and wave period (distance between each one) that affects how it feels on the ship. The wave period can be very long if the wave has travelled over a long distance eg eastern Atlantic or Pacific and make you feel the rise and fall of the ship more with more power. The wave period on this trip was long because the seas had built up over quite a distance.

Phil[/quote]

I was used to boating in the Atlantic then took a cruise to Alaska. Wave structure very different with the wave period being very long with pretty high seas and no stabilizers. Got very queasy even tho that never happened off of FL even with 25 ft waves. Fortunately had scope patches with me but they take a long time to kick in. Gained no weight on that 10 night cruise even though the food was good.

I like some rock'n'roll and I'm very jealous of your TA.

The first part of the video was taken in the Sky Lounge - deck 14 (waves crashing over bow). The first "crash of waves" was particularly impressive as the sea spray actually hit the window. The 2nd part of the video where the waves covered the window was taken from the Passport Bar on deck 3 and the final segment was from the Grand Cuvee - deck. 4. All images were recorded on 10/31. We joked at times that it was like being on a rollercoaster! Many crew members shared that they had been seasick.

Regarding the size of the waves, Phil is correct - about 25 feet. While the Silhouette certainly handled the storms we encountered - the anti shake function on the camera allowed for a much steadier image.

The evening we left Lisbon was actually the rockiest - our cabin was on the aft, so lots of motion. Everything on the shelf in the bathroom went flying, the drawers and closet were opening and closing all night, our fruit bowl, flowers and glasses on the dresser counter hit the floor! It was very difficult to sleep, but fun at the same time!

(...)The evening we left Lisbon was actually the rockiest - our cabin was on the aft, so lots of motion. Everything on the shelf in the bathroom went flying, the drawers and closet were opening and closing all night, our fruit bowl, flowers and glasses on the dresser counter hit the floor! It was very difficult to sleep, but fun at the same time!

Yeah - remember that night! We were in one of the Sunset Verandas on Deck 6 (all the way aft)! Drawers opening and closing, closet doors sliding open, stuff rolling off the dresser... IT WAS GREAT!!! :D Although the lack of sleep did leave us groggy the next morning, I actually enjoyed the rough seas. Made the crossing so much more authentic!

Thanks for posting this - what great memories. Hope to see you guys again someday... Any chance you're considering Hawaii on the Century next year? ;)

Cheers,

Luc & Suzanne

The first part of the video was taken in the Sky Lounge - deck 14 (waves crashing over bow). The first "crash of waves" was particularly impressive as the sea spray actually hit the window. The 2nd part of the video where the waves covered the window was taken from the Passport Bar on deck 3 and the final segment was from the Grand Cuvee - deck. 4. All images were recorded on 10/31. We joked at times that it was like being on a rollercoaster! Many crew members shared that they had been seasick.

Regarding the size of the waves, Phil is correct - about 25 feet. While the Silhouette certainly handled the storms we encountered - the anti shake function on the camera allowed for a much steadier image.

The evening we left Lisbon was actually the rockiest - our cabin was on the aft, so lots of motion. Everything on the shelf in the bathroom went flying, the drawers and closet were opening and closing all night, our fruit bowl, flowers and glasses on the dresser counter hit the floor! It was very difficult to sleep, but fun at the same time!

Okay. Officially double jealous now and even more anxious for 12/12 to come. :p

Thanks so much for posting this. Brought back memories of our North Atlantic crossing in 2002. We stopped in Iceland and for two days after that we had rough seas - probably not as bad as your crossing though.

For me, the worst seas have been in the Drake Passage. Oh, :eek:, I don't want to feel so nauseous again...!

You mentioned Lisbon. I'm not sure if you can see this video outside of the UK from the BBC website, but it's scary if you can!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15670415

Phil

Great video but I also can almost get seasick just watching!

One other thing that affects the seasickness risk is where the ship is in relation to the waves. If you are hitting the waves head-on, it is very different from having the waves come at you from the side. Similarly, moving in the same direction of the waves is different as well. On my worst cruise ever (wave-wise) we had 25-30 ft waves and we were rocking front to back and side to side at the same time. Ugh! On that cruise more than 50% of both passengers and crew were green.