Flu Shots?

CruisinCanine

I don't care if any doctor says you can't get ill after having the flu jab ...but these people were ill the day after ,i also worked with a woman who never had a day off work ,she also walked a few miles to work & walked all the way home her & the few others including the boss were not in the day after having the jab & no they were not ill before having it ...my mum only had the one jab after getting the thing she had the jab for & never had another ..as i said some are ok with having it ..i suppose you have to have the first one to find out if you are ok with it or never have it again ...even my O/H 's doctor has said some are ill after ..& you are still putting a foreign body into your own body...:rolleyes: it's not for me

You can't argue with ignorance.

My stepmother is 85 and got the new super-flu shot recommended for the elderly and had quite a severe reaction to it. She was sick enough to get out of bed and call me over to her house to check her vitals and take care of her (we just live next door and I used to be a nurse).....she ran a temp for about 24 hours.......was mildly nauseous and had an elevated pulse which is what scared her the most, and headache........but her simptoms were easily managed with OTC drugs........

What is this? Never heard of it, and all pharmacies in the area are promoting the shot with no appointment to get people in the store.

What is this? Never heard of it, and all pharmacies in the area are promoting the shot with no appointment to get people in the store.

It's a high-dose version of the flu vaccine that some doctors are recommending for people age 65 and over:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_fluzone.htm

By the way, those who say you can't "get sick" from the flu vaccine are wrong. Yes, you can't get the flu from the flu vaccine, but adverse reactions, some of which mimic flu symptoms (headache, muscle aches, fever and malaise) are not unheard of, and per the above article from the CDC are even more frequent with the high dose vaccine:

Is Fluzone High-Dose safe?

The safety profile of Fluzone High-Dose vaccine is similar to that of regular flu vaccines, although adverse events (which are also reported after regular flu vaccines) were reported more frequently after vaccination with Fluzone High-Dose. The most common adverse events experienced during clinical studies were mild and temporary and included pain, redness and swelling at the injection site and headache, muscle aches, fever and malaise. Most people had minimal or no adverse events after receiving the Fluzone High-Dose vaccine.

Living in Canada, Ontario specifically, our government highly recommends seasonal flu shots, they are free to residents of the province. Normally I don't bother, I take the necessary precautions, am not in a risk group and lived thorough two very sick flu housemates last year(who were hospitalized, spent lots of hours in emerg.(omg germ city) and never got sick. I know every year the flu strains are different but generally when you are going to cruise, do you go and get a flu shot? I am closing in on the two week mark prior to travel down thorough the US to the port to get on the ship so lots of germ riddle adventures to be had(LOL). I'm young, healthy and not in a high risk group? Looking to hear from others, particularly if you are in Ontario and cruising in December/January.

Why wouldn't you get it?

Makes no sense to me someone would not take such an easy, effortless, free step to reduce their chances of catching flu or carrying the virus to others.

Every year, there are people who die from flu.

I do not get a flu shot and I do not get the flu.

Please do what you feel is best for you.

and HAPPY SAILING!! :D

Yet...... Hope your good luck holds but why take the chance?

It is a personal choice

I have not had the flu in many years & NEVER get the shots

We do cruise during the winter months usually for a month

I maybe will get a cold but that is it

Free or not I hate needles ;)

It's a high-dose version of the flu vaccine that some doctors are recommending for people age 65 and over:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_fluzone.htm

By the way, those who say you can't "get sick" from the flu vaccine are wrong. Yes, you can't get the flu from the flu vaccine, but adverse reactions, some of which mimic flu symptoms (headache, muscle aches, fever and malaise) are not unheard of, and per the above article from the CDC are even more frequent with the high dose vaccine:

Is Fluzone High-Dose safe?

The safety profile of Fluzone High-Dose vaccine is similar to that of regular flu vaccines, although adverse events (which are also reported after regular flu vaccines) were reported more frequently after vaccination with Fluzone High-Dose. The most common adverse events experienced during clinical studies were mild and temporary and included pain, redness and swelling at the injection site and headache, muscle aches, fever and malaise. Most people had minimal or no adverse events after receiving the Fluzone High-Dose vaccine.

Sorry, you are incorrect. You cannot catch a sickness from the flu shot. As I said previously, a small number of people experience an allergic reaction to the flu shot. The quote you referenced from the CDC is a description of the types of symptoms one might experience in the rare event of an adverse reaction. This is completely different than "getting sick" form the flu shot. Sickness and allergic reactions are far from equivalent.

The flu vaccine developed each year is based on the previous year's flu bug. If there is a new bug for the current season, the flu shot you're getting will not affect it. Believe it....I know what I'm talking about. Please feel free to ask more questions if you want more indepth answers.

I chose not to get a flu shot for my own personal reasons. The flu shot does not ensure 100% you wont get the flu. I spent time reading up on the vaccine, spoke to my health care provider and made the choice best suited for me after a risk assessment. I think that is common sense and acting responsibly. Don't get a shot just because other people say you should. Opinions obviously vary.

Read up on the flu shot, talk to your health practitioner and decide for yourself.

Sorry, you are incorrect. You cannot catch a sickness from the flu shot. As I said previously, a small number of people experience an allergic reaction to the flu shot. The quote you referenced from the CDC is a description of the types of symptoms one might experience in the rare event of an adverse reaction. This is completely different than "getting sick" form the flu shot. Sickness and allergic reactions are far from equivalent.

Did you read what I said? I said these were adverse reactions that mimic flu symptoms, not the flu. If you don't think that you are "sick" (and note that I put the word in quotes for a reason) when you get an adverse reaction, you're wrong. I'm not using "sick" as a precise medical term, because it's not. I'm using it to describe how someone can feel if they get an adverse reaction from the flu shot.

Did you read what I said?

I did read what you said. You stated "By the way, those who say you can't "get sick" from the flu vaccine are wrong." I am one of those that said (correctly) that you cannot get sick from the flu vaccine.

I did read what you said. You stated "By the way, those who say you can't "get sick" from the flu vaccine are wrong." I am one of those that said (correctly) that you cannot get sick from the flu vaccine.

Of course you've conveniently taken that sentence out of context by omitting what I wrote thereafter, thereby allowing you to distort the meaning.

If you can get a fever, etc. from the vaccine, which the CDC says you can, then you have gotten "sick".

Of course you've conveniently taken that sentence out of context by omitting what I wrote thereafter, thereby allowing you to distort the meaning.

If you can get a fever, etc. from the vaccine, which the CDC says you can, then you have gotten "sick".

I did not distort anything. You for whatever reason want to continue to mistake an adverse reaction for a sickness. There are lots of myths floating about regarding flu shots, and unfortunately comments like yours perpetuate these myths and cause some people to wrongfully fear obtaining the vaccination (where in the vast majority of cases the risk/reward ratio favors vaccination). I am not going to engage in further dialogue with you on this topic as I have the feeling if I were to say today is Tuesday you would attempt to argue that it was Wednesday.

I don't get the flu shot either. I have an overactive immune system and never had a day off work sick in years. I've also never had measles, mumps, chicken pox as child even though all my brothers and sisters had them as children.

I don't get the flu shot either. I have an overactive immune system and never had a day off work sick in years. I've also never had measles, mumps, chicken pox as child even though all my brothers and sisters had them as children.

Most people who have a true overactive immune system tend to suffer from auto immune diseases; the body begins to attack itself. It is not a good thing to have.

Most people who have a true overactive immune system tend to suffer from auto immune diseases; the body begins to attack itself. It is not a good thing to have.

I would say having psoriatic arthritis is classified as a 'true' overactive immune system.

I never said it was a good thing to have. If I was taking medications that supressed my immune system then I would probably consider getting the flu shot. However, I dont' take any off those medications any more due to the nasty side effects.

If they got sick the day after the flu shot, they would have gotten sick even had they not obtained the flu shot. It is IMPOSSIBLE to become catch the flu from the flu shot. A small number of people experience an allergic reaction, but this is something completely different from catching the flu from the flu shot. There is no live or active virus in the flu vaccine.

I never said they got fllu after the flu jab i said they were ill after having the flu jab ...totally different

I never said they got fllu after the flu jab i said they were ill after having the flu jab ...totally different

Remember that hundreds of millions of people per year receive the flu vaccine. Roughly 15% of people per year develop the flu (at least in the U.S., I would imagine the number is similar in the U.K.). This does not even factor in other viruses on might catch. The flu shot is typically administered at a time of year where the flu virus (and other viruses) are rather active. Therefore it is expected that many, many people will become ill within a day or two of the flu shot; this has nothing to do with the flu shot and these people would have become ill just the same had they not received the flu shot.

What a problem ...it's a dead virus that sometimes with some people comes to life & makles you very ill ..my Mum risk factor 1 had 1 flu jab never had any more ..Mother-in-law ill for 3 weeks O/H took a jab & was in bed after for a week ...i threatened if he another he looked after himself i was fed up cooking ..me i won't have one especially before going on holiday :eek:

Yes you did. See bolded sections in your post.

Archived