Have you seen the new Shell Phone?

Pumbaamd

• 3 weeks later...

Today was my first day back to school, since Christmas break and in the middle of class I realized that one of the girls sounded EXACTLY like the shell. Could not help but giggle to myself a little. ;) Still love it and now I will be reminded of the "Sea" five days a week!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in advertising and I personally don't like it. I've been seeing the commercial on a lot lately. It says nothing about Royal Caribbean and what they offer besides a few basics like zip-lining. The sea is calling is something you could say about any cruise line. If it weren't for the fact I am an RC fan I'd never remember what cruise line it was related to since I barely remember seeing a cruise ship during the commercial. Bleh. I liked it better when they showed the cruise ships. You'd think they'd show Oasis off, it's so incredibly impressive.

My all-time favorite Royal Caribbean promotion was "Get Out There." The music was catchy, the footage of the cruise ships and ports was amazing, and it really made me want to go on a cruise whenever I heard it. Also, the "Get Out There" slogan totally characterized cruising - trying new things, whether it be food, land excursions, activities, or just meeting new people.

The Sea is Calling is better than the "Nation of Why Not," but still pretty corny.

And I actually like the "Cruise like a Norwegian" ads. :)

I saw this commercial for the first time last night on TV and thought it was awful. My husband and I looked at each other and said the RCI must be hurting for business - it was that bad to us. It seemed cheaply made, as if they had no money to hire a good ad firm.

I saw this commercial for the first time last night on TV and thought it was awful. My husband and I looked at each other and said the RCI must be hurting for business - it was that bad to us. It seemed cheaply made, as if they had no money to hire a good ad firm.

It's like some have said. It seems more of a general cruise commercial rather than cruise line specific. Those who aren't familiar with RCI have no idea what "answer it royally" means. It's not memorable enough or brand specific.

I don't find the commercials horrible or offensive, just blah. At least they don't turn me totally off like the hold message on the telephone. That message drives me away. They better have enough people to answer the phones promptly so no one gets stuck listening to that annoying voice.

Gina

I caught one of the commercials last night. Actually, I was just about to change the channel and if I didn't know that the commercial was about when it started I would have changed it and missed the commercial.

It was what I would estimate as a 30 second spot with just a short bit of the "shell games" before they cut away to a shot of one of RCI's ships and the company name. My thought is that there was nothing in the first 15 seconds of the commercial to hold your attention and get you to the point where the ship is shown. And there is nothing catchy about the first 15 seconds that would keep you from either changing the channel or getting up and making a trip to either the kitchen or the bathroom. I would not have even know that it was a commercial about cruising at all until the ship was shown.

I don't think this present advertizing campaign is going to do what RCI was hoping it would.

Archived