Grand Princess closets

TwinCruiserMom

Just back from the Grand Princess 12/3 sailing and if you are used to the bigger ships like the Caribbean, Emerald and the Crown, you will be surprised how small the closet and shelf area is on the Grand.

We had an inside cabin, but the oceanviews across the hall were set up the same way. I am almost positive that the balcony staterooms are this way too. I would guess that our closet was about 2 1/2 feet wide, which is much smaller than the bigger ships which have a closet about 6 foot wide. The shelf storage area was smaller too, as well as the safe. We had no problems storing our netbook in the safe on the Crown, but it would have never fit in the safe on the Grand.

The closet is certainly adequate for a 7 day cruise for 2 people, although we had just enough room to hang our clothes as we usually hang up most things. (I requested and received quite a few extra wire hangers) Since I have traveled on the bigger ships with 4 in a room, I really noticed the size difference and remarked to my husband that I would never have been able to get everyone's clothes hung up if there were 4 of us in the cabin on the Grand.

I did know about this situation ahead of time because of a post here on cruise critic. As I said, everything did work out fine for dh and I as we are carry on only packers, but those that take a ton of clothes should be aware of the storage situation on this ship.

Does the Golden Princess have the same closet set up as the Grand or is it like the Caribbean and other larger ships?

I hope this information is useful to someone planning a cruise on the Grand.

We had a balcony cabin the last time and will have one this time also and the closet was very adequate for a 7 day cruise. We didn't even use all the shelves in the little closet. Of course, I am only 5' tall and couldn't reach them anyway!

I can't remember if the closet had a pull down bar in the middle of the wall to accommodate slacks and shorter items. I know they had one on Summit when we took the 14 day Hawaii trip and we utilized every inch.

Sue

As others have posted, Princess changed the closet area layout in Inside, OV and Balcony cabins on later Grand Class ships (Golden, Star, Sapphire, Diamond, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald & Ruby) to match that of the Mini-Suites on the Grand. The same layout is found on the Coral and Island. We never noticed the difference on the Grand because our only cruise on her was in a Mini-Suite. If you look at cabin layouts you will see that for all of the Grand Class ships you will find the closet layout for the Grand. The Coral and Island show the correct closet layout.

The closets on the Golden are good sized. They are located right outside the bathroom. Here's what it looked like in our inside cabin:

5425191907_4ca40b26fa_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Thanks for posting this as I may consider the Golden for an Alaska cruise. This is the size of all the ships we have been on except the Grand. It really is teeny tiny compared to these much roomier closet/dressing areas on the other ships.

I just got off the Grand and was surprised at the small, cramped closet area, as my only other cruise on the Grand had been in a mini-suite. I asked the Future Cruise Consultant about this and she had no idea what I was talking about.

Thanks for the info on the other ships. I've been on 11 Princess ships and never ran into this situation before. I'm now definitely re-thinking my reservation on the Grand for the 49-day South America cruise in 2013. I've reserved P328, an OV and am pretty sure that it just wouldn't work for such a long cruise.

We were on the 12/3 cruise also. DW carries a sewing kit and had a measuring tape. I HAD to compare Grand with Golden. The clothes rod/ closet was 39" long. The shelving tower was 14" wide and had 7 shelves, one containing the safe. The safe was 8"w X 6"h X 6"d. The View Sonic flat screen TV is 26" diag.

I agree that when compared to the Golden and newer ships the Grand closet seems small but O.K. for a week or two.

I just got off the Grand and was surprised at the small, cramped closet area, as my only other cruise on the Grand had been in a mini-suite. I asked the Future Cruise Consultant about this and she had no idea what I was talking about.

Thanks for the info on the other ships. I've been on 11 Princess ships and never ran into this situation before. I'm now definitely re-thinking my reservation on the Grand for the 49-day South America cruise in 2013. I've reserved P328, an OV and am pretty sure that it just wouldn't work for such a long cruise.

You're kidding me, right? That is the cruise of a lifetime. The self serve laundry is 7 doors down the hall. I think you might be Elite now and get free laundry and dry cleaning. You can always store some things in your suit case under the bed. And I can absolutly assure you no one will notice if you (God forbid) wear the same outfit twice. Remember, almost everyone else has the same size closet.

Just back from the Grand Princess 12/3 sailing and if you are used to the bigger ships like the Caribbean, Emerald and the Crown, you will be surprised how small the closet and shelf area is on the Grand.

We had an inside cabin, but the oceanviews across the hall were set up the same way. I am almost positive that the balcony staterooms are this way too. I would guess that our closet was about 2 1/2 feet wide, which is much smaller than the bigger ships which have a closet about 6 foot wide. The shelf storage area was smaller too, as well as the safe. We had no problems storing our netbook in the safe on the Crown, but it would have never fit in the safe on the Grand.

The closet is certainly adequate for a 7 day cruise for 2 people, although we had just enough room to hang our clothes as we usually hang up most things. (I requested and received quite a few extra wire hangers) Since I have traveled on the bigger ships with 4 in a room, I really noticed the size difference and remarked to my husband that I would never have been able to get everyone's clothes hung up if there were 4 of us in the cabin on the Grand.

I did know about this situation ahead of time because of a post here on cruise critic. As I said, everything did work out fine for dh and I as we are carry on only packers, but those that take a ton of clothes should be aware of the storage situation on this ship.

Does the Golden Princess have the same closet set up as the Grand or is it like the Caribbean and other larger ships?

I hope this information is useful to someone planning a cruise on the Grand.

Not all inside cabins were created equal:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579356797oqrCfy

All Grand class ships have six identical inside cabins. Crown's, etc, are on Riviera Deck.:D

P.S. I recently disembarked a mini on Emerald. My clothes took up nearly all the closet space, and I'm a light traveler.

You're kidding me, right? That is the cruise of a lifetime. The self serve laundry is 7 doors down the hall. I think you might be Elite now and get free laundry and dry cleaning. You can always store some things in your suit case under the bed. And I can absolutly assure you no one will notice if you (God forbid) wear the same outfit twice. Remember, almost everyone else has the same size closet.

High Flyer, I understand what you mean about 'trip of a lifetime' but I've sailed all the way around S.A. three times and was already wondering if I really wanted to go. And yes, I'm OLD, so that sort of explains it. Don't think I could manage some of the side trips that were a real thrill anymore, like Machu Pichu. Even Iguassu Falls was kind of hard the second time, when I was in my 70's.

Just think how happy someone will be to get my cabin if I cancel, since this cruise has been sold out for ages and they're not even accepting waitlists anymore.

Not all inside cabins were created equal:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/579356797oqrCfy

All Grand class ships have six identical inside cabins. Crown's, etc, are on Riviera Deck.:D

P.S. I recently disembarked a mini on Emerald. My clothes took up nearly all the closet space, and I'm a light traveler.

I believe that on the Grand, Golden and Star these cabins are A507. A508, A516, A517, on the Sapphire and Diamond these cabins are A506, A507. A512, A515 and on the Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby these cabins are R403, R407, R507. R508, R514, R515. Someone can confirm, but cabin C106 on all but the Sapphire and the Diamond may also have the same arrangement.

I had not realized it, but just looked and the cabin layout sketches on princess.com are not correct for these cabins. They all show more space in the washroom, and less in the closet.
There is the disclaimer "Certain staterooms may vary in size and configuration. Photos and diagrams represent typical arrangements. Call Princess Cruises for more information." For the Grand Class ships the Princess website uses one layout for all inside cabins, one for all OV cabins and one for all balcony cabins and these are from the Grand. Also in the 360 degree view for the balcony cabins the larger Caribe deck balcony is shown for all cabins. Layouts of the several larger inside cabins as well as accessible cabins are not shown correctly in addition to the closet layouts on the other Grand Class ships.

I dont see the problem We have only been on the Sun Dawn and old Royal and one of them was for 75 days and the others for 45 and 28 and the closets were quite adequate Are you saying that the Grand has smaller closets than the Sun group? We are on the 2013 South American cruise also but not worried.:)

I dont see the problem We have only been on the Sun Dawn and old Royal and one of them was for 75 days and the others for 45 and 28 and the closets were quite adequate Are you saying that the Grand has smaller closets than the Sun group? We are on the 2013 South American cruise also but not worried.:)

Nothing has smaller closets than the Sun-class ships! I only have the foggiest recollection of the closet in my cabin on the Grand (E321), but I am not a light packer, and I hang up everything, even including shorts/jeans, and I don't recall running out of space. On the Dawn, though, I was a little frustrated with what seemed to be a lack of space, maybe from it being chopped up (aren't there, like, three separate closet doors, or am I misremembering?).

Nothing has smaller closets than the Sun-class ships! I only have the foggiest recollection of the closet in my cabin on the Grand (E321), but I am not a light packer, and I hang up everything, even including shorts/jeans, and I don't recall running out of space. On the Dawn, though, I was a little frustrated with what seemed to be a lack of space, maybe from it being chopped up (aren't there, like, three separate closet doors, or am I misremembering?).
Our closet on the Dawn was a more like a standard closet with two doors. Definitely much smaller then the newer Princess ships:

348641694_60f04c8d77_z.jpg?zz=1

Dawn Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Archived