Cagney's Steakhouse: A Steak Review

Jeebs

The beef they do charge extra for is some of the most expensive beef you can buy. How do I know this? We asked. It is all grass fed cattle, no steroids or other supplements, etc.

I have eaten at Cagneys 6 times on Jewel, Sky, and Epic. I can honestly each time was the best steak I have ever eaten.

My wife is from Argentina and never raves about steak at any restaurant until we ate at Cagneys.

We have spent $50 or more at other high end steakhouses around our area and we can never find an experience like Cagneys - no joke ;)

Seriously ????? Because NCL or someone on NCL told you that its the most expensive beef you can buy and you believe them ??? I am absolutely certain that that is not the case because I know they don't buy their beef from some of the exotic ranches that serve the top restaurants in the US. Thats like saying NCL serves top grade scotch - the most expensive money can buy because the bartender tells you they serve Johnnie Walker Black, and you not knowing there is JW Blue and a whole slew of single malt scotches that are way more exotic exclusive than the mainline geared JW Black.

Grass fed beef ? Probably a far stretch. Possible but highly doubtful. US beef is mostly grain/corn/lot fed beef. There are some small farms that still grass fed, but call me skeptical that anyone uses them for large supplies. Besides, US palates are geared for taste in corn/grain/lot fed and not grass fed. Grass fed cattle are predominantly Austrailians/Argentina supplied beef to the rest of the world.

If your wife hasn't had anything tasty, it might be because she doesn't like grass fed beed and thinks corn fed beef is tastier.

Now if you look at their menus it says the beef is "Premium Golden Angus Beef". Thats a whole bunch of marketing words with no real meaning. Now, if you are tying that to "PGA Beef" or "Premium Gold Beef" which is a high volume supplier to chain restaurants, supermarkets etc and are using their marketing - then things get even looser. THey have low grade beef as well as higher grades. NCL doesn't notate what type, cut, grade of beef they are acquiring and whether its even from PGA. "Premium Golden Angus Beef" does not mean "Premium Gold Angus Beef" as a company, and within "Premium Gold Beef" or PGA the company, they suppy beef levels at all different grades. It could be grade D beef "fit for human consumption" but still sold by "PGA Beef". Now whether NCL acquires their beef from PGA, certainly could be, but if it is - then your argument for number 1 is definitely already wrong. PGA beef is nowhere near top grade beef and "the most expensive beef money can buy".

And if they were truly antibiotic/steroid free cattle (or grass fed) don't you think NCL (which is a marketing machine) would advertise that particular item like crazy ? They would even exhibit "Grass fed" all over the place because most people don't know that grass fed beef taste completely different and the American palate doesn't even like "grass fed" but it sure sounds good. (I'd venture to guess most Americans don't know what the cows are fed, but thats another story).

Now, this isn't to mean Cagneys doesn't /sometimes/ serve a tasty meal or a delicious meal, or a crappy meal. Just that whatever crazy assertions you're making here definitely aren't the case.

Edited by anthem

After a recent trip aboard the Pearl and experiencing Cagney's Steakhouse a couple of times, I felt the need to come here and write a review on the steakhouse on its own. I am not trying to ruffle the feathers of those who so passionately love NCL nor those who love Cagney's. This is merely my opinion for those willing to read it.

This is not a review of all of the food at Cagney's. I did not have time to try everything on the menu and do not have the refined palate to accurately judge everything. For example, I thought the shrimp cocktail was pretty darn good but a seafood connoisseur might disagree.

My Authority

At this point you may be asking, "Who is this guy to review a steakhouse?" While I am just a normal guy who is not a professional food critic, I am a self-proclaimed steak guy. I have the good fortune of being able to enjoy the finer end of the food spectrum since leaving the Marine Corps in 2006. We frequent steakhouses that feature prime steaks and excellent seafood. When grilling at home, we only use prime steaks and make it a point to cook them to perfection.

I have a sort of ranking system that uses some common national chains to establish a comparison system.

• The Low End: Sizzler, Denny's and the like. These restaurants feature some pretty poor steaks. Often thin, tough and flavorless.
  • Better: Applebee's, TGI Friday's, etc often have slightly thicker cuts, slightly better quality and usually cooked better than that of the Low. No guarantees though...
  • Mid-Range: Outback Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse and other such chains. Here you can expect a decent cut of steak at a reasonable price. Usually prepared well, a good thick cut and better flatware.
  • High End: Ruth's Chris, Flemings Prime and other steakhouses featuring USDA prime steaks. These are typically white-tablecloth style restaurants featuring ala carte style menus. Steaks are great, service is great and you get the proper flatware to carve up these delicious steaks. A couple can plan on roughly spending $100-$125 including drinks.
  • Best of the Best: Donovan's Steak and Chop House and other non-chain prime steak houses. A step up from high end in price and quality. Plan on spending over $200 for a couple here.

This list isn't black and white and there are restaurants that would fit in the gray areas between a particular group. This is more of a rough guideline to give a better idea of what I am referring to.

Now, on to the review!

Restaurant and Atmosphere

Cagney's Steakhouse can be accessed two different ways. Lunch and dinner are included in suite passenger's fare. All passengers can go to Cagney's for dinner for a $25 flat cover charge. For those wanting lobster that will cost an additional $8. Water is included for free while all alcoholic and soft drinks are not. For three of us, with a cocktail and a bottle of wine, the total came to $107 to dine at Cagney's.

Cagney's is a 'white tablecloth' style restaurant that offers a more elegant dining experience than most of the restaurants in my scale, save the top two groups. The restaurant is smaller than the main dining rooms on the ship and offers a quieter environment. The lights are slightly dimmed to further add to the more intimate atmosphere. This is not to much different from the main dining rooms on the ship. Those are also white tablecloth with the same wait staff and flatware. The only real difference between Cagney's and a main dining room is the size of the restaurant.

At this early point, it is not worth the extra coverage charge.

The Steak

As I stated earlier, I will not be rating the various foods at Cagney's - just the steak. After all, it is a steak house!

My first experience at Cagney's on this latest cruise was during embarkation. Our concierge dropped us off for lunch after checking in for our cruise. I ordered the New York strip cooked medium-rare. Prior to the arrival of our food, our waiter brought the steak knives to the table. They didn't look particularly impressive but I held judgement until I used them. When the steak arrived, I could tell it was overcooked at first glance. Cutting into it only confirmed this. The steak was relatively thin and fairly tough. The steak knives didn't help much. They were dull and did not cut well at all. The steak didn't have any flavor to speak of either. The only thing I could make out was the salt I added to try and kick things up a bit. At this point, I was very disappointed. I would compare this steak to one that I would have paid <$10 at an Applebee's.

My next experience at Cagney's was for dinner. Of course, I made sure to order steak. Why? I gave NCL the benefit of the doubt that my first experience was a bad cut, a rookie chef, just lunch - something. I've read entirely to many reviews about this place that proclaim its excellence and could not imagine NCL charging $25 for what I had for lunch. Their steak has to be better; right? Wrong. While slightly better than what I had for lunch, the steak at dinner was less than impressive. It was cooked to medium-rare, which was nice, but again had many similar traits to the strip I had for lunch earlier in the week. It was tough and had little flavor to speak of. This was, again, similar to something I would expect to get when paying around $10-$15 at an Applebee's or similar back on land.

Main Dining Room Comparison

Cagney's is not the only place on the ship to grab a steak. On the Pearl, both the Indigo and the Summer Palace had a steak selection. These restaurants, like Cagney's, also offer the white tablecloth style dining experience. At the Indigo, my wife ordered a rib-eye steak. I had not yet worked up the courage to order another steak after having experience lunch at their much touted Cagney's. I am glad I didn't. When it arrived, it looked horrid. Picture a rubber steak toy that one would give their dog. This was extremely thin, < 1/4", and overcooked. I cannot blame whomever prepared it, though. At that thickness it would be terribly difficult not to overcook it. It was tough, flavorless and dry. I would have been disappointed if I ordered this at Denny's!

On our last night, we dined at the Summer Palace dining room and I ordered the New York strip. You may be asking, "Why, after such bad experiences, would you do that?!" Well, first off, I am a sucker for steak. Second, I so wanted to believe that NCL could do it right. After ordering, our server brought the steak knife out. This is the exact same flatware that you get in Cagney's. When my steak arrived, it looked far and away better than the others we had previously experienced. It was cooked properly, had a decent thickness to it and was somewhat juicy! What a pleasant surprise! Now, make no mistake, this was not something you would expect at a fine steak house, or even an Outback level restaurant but it was a step in the right direction.

Final Thoughts

All in all, Cagney's steak was a huge disappointment. I would not recommend anyone spending the extra $25 per person on top of your cruise fare for a meal you could get for around $15-$20 at a restaurant with similar quality steak anywhere else. Further, the white tablecloth atmosphere that some may seek can be experienced at either main dining room without the added cost. Save your money, enjoy the main dining rooms and go to a steak house back on land!

our kids love Cagney's but I agree with you and hubby is on the fence. I much prefer Le Bistro. We found a similar situation on Princess recently. We were not impressed with their steak house for the $25. My steak was rare alright, it was raw. The rest of the meal was so/so; our server could have been a robot with his personality. This is not meant to knock another cruise line, but to point out the specialty dining rooms are not always what they are cracked up to be. I would put Cagney's and similar rated about like Outback, maybe one step up, but not in the same catagory as Ruths Chris.

NIta

Grass fed beef ? Probably a far stretch. Possible but highly doubtful. US beef is mostly grain/corn/lot fed beef. There are some small farms that still grass fed, but call me skeptical that anyone uses them for large supplies. Besides, US palates are geared for taste in corn/grain/lot fed and not grass fed. Grass fed cattle are predominantly Austrailians/Argentina supplied beef to the rest of the world.

And if they were truly antibiotic/steroid free cattle (or grass fed) don't you think NCL (which is a marketing machine) would advertise that particular item like crazy ? They would even exhibit "Grass fed" all over the place because most people don't know that grass fed beef taste completely different and the American palate doesn't even like "grass fed" but it sure sounds good. (I'd venture to guess most Americans don't know what the cows are fed, but thats another story).

Now, this isn't to mean Cagneys doesn't /sometimes/ serve a tasty meal or a delicious meal, or a crappy meal. Just that whatever crazy assertions you're making here definitely aren't the case.

Anthem you are right on several things. There is so much involved in the cattle industry from the ranch to the processor. Marbling provides internal basting thus a moister cut of meat as long as it isn't cooked dead. Prime is your highest level of marbling but requires a longer time at the feedlot.

Grass fed beef will have a different flavor in the fat and meat. Some say a more "gamey" flavor here again depends on the grass. Most feed lots use minimal corn since the advent of the ethanol industry for fuel. It is usually more sileage which can be a composite of many things. I have even seen sawdust used as part of a sileage mix.

Aging at least 7 days will begin to break down the meat fibers for a more tender cut. Aging 21 days will give the most tender but will also equate the most expensive due to the waste of the trim off. If you are eating a tender steak and hit a spot that is suddenly very tough - usually (but not always) a location where the shots were given. Then there is the term "dark cutter". This is an animal that was extremely stressed at the time of slaughter. Meat won't last no matter how you care for it from store to home.

So steaks can be a matter of personal preference. I prefer a well marbled steak aged 14 days that is seared on the outside and barely warm red on the inside. Of course DH always threatens to kill it if it moos at him.;)

Of course DH always threatens to kill it if it moos at him.;)

LOL we must be married to the same man :D.

I had a friend once who was in a restaurant and ordered a steak, medium rare. When it arrived at the table it was darn close to being blue rare. His comment to the waiter with a sly grin on his face "a good shot of penicillin would put this sucker back on his feet". :D We refrained after that from taking this friend to very many upscale restaurants :eek:. :)

Shhhhh Beaver, all this hoopla may lower the cover charge and we can eat there more often teeheehee :p

We rarely eat there anyway. There is just too much food and I am tempted to over eat. When we suite, we will dine in on Cagney's and it is much easier not to over eat.

Anthem you are right on several things. There is so much involved in the cattle industry from the ranch to the processor. Marbling provides internal basting thus a moister cut of meat as long as it isn't cooked dead. Prime is your highest level of marbling but requires a longer time at the feedlot.

Grass fed beef will have a different flavor in the fat and meat. Some say a more "gamey" flavor here again depends on the grass. Most feed lots use minimal corn since the advent of the ethanol industry for fuel. It is usually more sileage which can be a composite of many things. I have even seen sawdust used as part of a sileage mix.

Aging at least 7 days will begin to break down the meat fibers for a more tender cut. Aging 21 days will give the most tender but will also equate the most expensive due to the waste of the trim off. If you are eating a tender steak and hit a spot that is suddenly very tough - usually (but not always) a location where the shots were given. Then there is the term "dark cutter". This is an animal that was extremely stressed at the time of slaughter. Meat won't last no matter how you care for it from store to home.

So steaks can be a matter of personal preference. I prefer a well marbled steak aged 14 days that is seared on the outside and barely warm red on the inside. Of course DH always threatens to kill it if it moos at him.;)

Yep, forgot about corn having tripled in price in a year due to ethanol. . . . So yes, corn is rarely used anymore, but grass fed is quite rate in the US (also because of lack of demand). And yes, grass fed does tend to be slightly gamier and frequently not as tender even with aging (might be due to age at slaughter as grass fed tends to be older than growth inspired cattle).

The prime grade being the highest is only for the mass cattle/beef industry that the USDA rates. There are levels well above that for beef for marbling since its the primary grade in which beef is evaluated. The top steak houses generally get beef (whether american hybrid wagyu, wagyu, or angus) from several top ranches. I've listed a few down here and they can give you a lot more information than I need to bother to type. These are top cattle ranches serving high end restaurants like Craft Steak and several Michelin starred restaurants.

Mishima Ranch - http://www.mishimaranch.com/

Snake River Farms - http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/

Niman Ranch - http://www.nimanranch.com/

Blackmore (Aus) - http://www.blackmorewagyu.com.au/

There are several more Japanese Wagyu/Kobe suppliers, but they are generally small, and don't have websites. Most of the ones above only deal wholesale so you can't directly order from them except for I think Snake River now has an online store. You can generally only get these from high-end butchers.

And yes, I know quite a bit since a friend of mine imports wagyu from Japan and NZ into the US - selling both wholesale and some retail.

good review if disappointing...

After a recent trip aboard the Pearl and experiencing Cagney's Steakhouse a couple of times, I felt the need to come here and write a review on the steakhouse on its own. I am not trying to ruffle the feathers of those who so passionately love NCL nor those who love Cagney's. This is merely my opinion for those willing to read it.

This is not a review of all of the food at Cagney's. I did not have time to try everything on the menu and do not have the refined palate to accurately judge everything. For example, I thought the shrimp cocktail was pretty darn good but a seafood connoisseur might disagree.

My Authority

At this point you may be asking, "Who is this guy to review a steakhouse?" While I am just a normal guy who is not a professional food critic, I am a self-proclaimed steak guy. I have the good fortune of being able to enjoy the finer end of the food spectrum since leaving the Marine Corps in 2006. We frequent steakhouses that feature prime steaks and excellent seafood. When grilling at home, we only use prime steaks and make it a point to cook them to perfection.

I have a sort of ranking system that uses some common national chains to establish a comparison system.

• The Low End: Sizzler, Denny's and the like. These restaurants feature some pretty poor steaks. Often thin, tough and flavorless.
  • Better: Applebee's, TGI Friday's, etc often have slightly thicker cuts, slightly better quality and usually cooked better than that of the Low. No guarantees though...
  • Mid-Range: Outback Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse and other such chains. Here you can expect a decent cut of steak at a reasonable price. Usually prepared well, a good thick cut and better flatware.
  • High End: Ruth's Chris, Flemings Prime and other steakhouses featuring USDA prime steaks. These are typically white-tablecloth style restaurants featuring ala carte style menus. Steaks are great, service is great and you get the proper flatware to carve up these delicious steaks. A couple can plan on roughly spending $100-$125 including drinks.
  • Best of the Best: Donovan's Steak and Chop House and other non-chain prime steak houses. A step up from high end in price and quality. Plan on spending over $200 for a couple here.

This list isn't black and white and there are restaurants that would fit in the gray areas between a particular group. This is more of a rough guideline to give a better idea of what I am referring to.

Now, on to the review!

Restaurant and Atmosphere

Cagney's Steakhouse can be accessed two different ways. Lunch and dinner are included in suite passenger's fare. All passengers can go to Cagney's for dinner for a $25 flat cover charge. For those wanting lobster that will cost an additional $8. Water is included for free while all alcoholic and soft drinks are not. For three of us, with a cocktail and a bottle of wine, the total came to $107 to dine at Cagney's.

Cagney's is a 'white tablecloth' style restaurant that offers a more elegant dining experience than most of the restaurants in my scale, save the top two groups. The restaurant is smaller than the main dining rooms on the ship and offers a quieter environment. The lights are slightly dimmed to further add to the more intimate atmosphere. This is not to much different from the main dining rooms on the ship. Those are also white tablecloth with the same wait staff and flatware. The only real difference between Cagney's and a main dining room is the size of the restaurant.

At this early point, it is not worth the extra coverage charge.

The Steak

As I stated earlier, I will not be rating the various foods at Cagney's - just the steak. After all, it is a steak house!

My first experience at Cagney's on this latest cruise was during embarkation. Our concierge dropped us off for lunch after checking in for our cruise. I ordered the New York strip cooked medium-rare. Prior to the arrival of our food, our waiter brought the steak knives to the table. They didn't look particularly impressive but I held judgement until I used them. When the steak arrived, I could tell it was overcooked at first glance. Cutting into it only confirmed this. The steak was relatively thin and fairly tough. The steak knives didn't help much. They were dull and did not cut well at all. The steak didn't have any flavor to speak of either. The only thing I could make out was the salt I added to try and kick things up a bit. At this point, I was very disappointed. I would compare this steak to one that I would have paid <$10 at an Applebee's.

My next experience at Cagney's was for dinner. Of course, I made sure to order steak. Why? I gave NCL the benefit of the doubt that my first experience was a bad cut, a rookie chef, just lunch - something. I've read entirely to many reviews about this place that proclaim its excellence and could not imagine NCL charging $25 for what I had for lunch. Their steak has to be better; right? Wrong. While slightly better than what I had for lunch, the steak at dinner was less than impressive. It was cooked to medium-rare, which was nice, but again had many similar traits to the strip I had for lunch earlier in the week. It was tough and had little flavor to speak of. This was, again, similar to something I would expect to get when paying around $10-$15 at an Applebee's or similar back on land.

Main Dining Room Comparison

Cagney's is not the only place on the ship to grab a steak. On the Pearl, both the Indigo and the Summer Palace had a steak selection. These restaurants, like Cagney's, also offer the white tablecloth style dining experience. At the Indigo, my wife ordered a rib-eye steak. I had not yet worked up the courage to order another steak after having experience lunch at their much touted Cagney's. I am glad I didn't. When it arrived, it looked horrid. Picture a rubber steak toy that one would give their dog. This was extremely thin, < 1/4", and overcooked. I cannot blame whomever prepared it, though. At that thickness it would be terribly difficult not to overcook it. It was tough, flavorless and dry. I would have been disappointed if I ordered this at Denny's!

On our last night, we dined at the Summer Palace dining room and I ordered the New York strip. You may be asking, "Why, after such bad experiences, would you do that?!" Well, first off, I am a sucker for steak. Second, I so wanted to believe that NCL could do it right. After ordering, our server brought the steak knife out. This is the exact same flatware that you get in Cagney's. When my steak arrived, it looked far and away better than the others we had previously experienced. It was cooked properly, had a decent thickness to it and was somewhat juicy! What a pleasant surprise! Now, make no mistake, this was not something you would expect at a fine steak house, or even an Outback level restaurant but it was a step in the right direction.

Final Thoughts

All in all, Cagney's steak was a huge disappointment. I would not recommend anyone spending the extra $25 per person on top of your cruise fare for a meal you could get for around $15-$20 at a restaurant with similar quality steak anywhere else. Further, the white tablecloth atmosphere that some may seek can be experienced at either main dining room without the added cost. Save your money, enjoy the main dining rooms and go to a steak house back on land!

As a New Yorker and knowing many New Yorkers, I have to say that here in Manhatten we don't consider Ruths Chris or Old Homestead to be 'fine' steakhouses.

If you've been to a Ruths Chris in one place, it's no different in another. They are just restaurants that serve steak. Good steak, but not great.

We liked Cagney's, but it wasn't anything special or much different than the thousands of steakhouses/chains around the Country. But we knew that going in and didn't expect much. For $50 it was a fair price for what we received, and far better than the MDR.

If you ever come to NY, consider trying our favorite place, Ben Bensons. We also like Keens,Delmonicos & Peter Lugar. Eating a steak in a restaurant that truly specializes in beef is something worth remembering and worth researching in your own area of the Country. You'll never find this caliber of restaurant on a ship or in many areas of the Country.

On our next cruise we'll eat at Cagney's again and enjoy it for what it is.

Thanks for you review.

As a New Yorker and knowing many New Yorkers, I have to say that here in Manhatten we don't consider Ruths Chris or Old Homestead to be 'fine' steakhouses.

If you've been to a Ruths Chris in one place, it's no different in another. They are just restaurants that serve steak. Good steak, but not great.

We liked Cagney's, but it wasn't anything special or much different than the thousands of steakhouses/chains around the Country. But we knew that going in and didn't expect much. For $50 it was a fair price for what we received, and far better than the MDR.

If you ever come to NY, consider trying our favorite place, Ben Bensons. We also like Keens,Delmonicos & Peter Lugar. Eating a steak in a restaurant that truly specializes in beef is something worth remembering and worth researching in your own area of the Country. You'll never find this caliber of restaurant on a ship or in many areas of the Country.

Thanks for you review.

I have to agree with everything you said. My mouth is watering over the thought of a Peter Lugar steak, and I'm counting down the days until my next Hong Kong trip and a visit to Felix and The Steakhouse.

I was a bit disappointed in Cagney's as I was expecting steaks like they serve on Carnival's specialty restaurant. That said, I will be going to Cagney's on my Epic cruise (next weekend, yay!). I'm not paying $100+ for a steak...for what it is, it's a decent steak at a decent price, and way better than the MDR.

Peter Luger should be on the national register of historic places. .. Wonderful porterhouse sliced for x people. That being said - I think its wonderful because its an excellent piece of steak cooked in a huge amount of mouth watering butter. . .. Nothing wrong with that as you can't knock butter (or bacon for that matter). But over many years, I have found there are better cuts of meat prepared not necessarily in a pot of melted butter and encourage others to do the same. Don't eliminate Lugers as that is a treasure as well - just realize that there are other ways to make a steak taste delicious :-).

The first (and only) time that I dined in Keen's was Fleet Week NYC in '08. Four of us went (in uniform, as is required for Fleet Week) and had the second best meal I've had in my life (in case you're curious the best meal of my life was in Marseille, France). Was shocked when we asked for the bill, and were told that a generous (although anonymous) New Yorker picked up our tab.

Ruth's Chris is just OK. I'd rather go to Morton's of Chicago if I'm going to a chain. Texas Roadhouse isn't bad, but only because I can look at the case of meat with a discerning eye and select my own steak. Keen's was still the best steak I've ever had.

Haven't been to Cagney's, and don't plan on it. I'd rather dine in the other specialty restaurants...

I wish I didn't have to agree with you. But i do and IMHO the best steak onboard is not Cagneys, but at le Bistro. Nice big fat piece of tenderloin. Cooked exactly how you want it cooked. I told them 145 degrees and thats what I got. Wonderful piece of meat. I cant say the same about the pitiful fatty Ribeye in La Cuchina....I don't know what was I thinking! Get the Ossabuco! I still remember the days of the wonderful prime ribs and tenderloins in the MDRs. Oh well, such is the changing world of cruising!

Thanks for you review.

What you are saying about Ruths Chris surprises me. It certainly isn't the same as a few really upscale independently owned steak houses and I, personally, don't think they have the best food I have tasted plus we have had hit or miss service, but we have eaten at them in 4 different cities and they are still considered upscale.

Nita

What you are saying about Ruths Chris surprises me. It certainly isn't the same as a few really upscale independently owned steak houses and I, personally, don't think they have the best food I have tasted plus we have had hit or miss service, but we have eaten at them in 4 different cities and they are still considered upscale.

Nita

It's not hard to feel this way when you live in or near a city such as NYC where some of the finest steakhouses are located.

I also regard Ruths Chris & Old Homestead as just a step above an Outback or Longhorn. Once they expand to 'chain' status, they become the same and the food suffers in order to provide consistency across the board.

If you ever have the chance to try Peter Lugar, or Ben Bensons you will fully understand the difference. Anyone who lives near a large city should check to see if they are home to a one of a kind type of steakhouse. If you find one, you will never look at Ruths Chris in the same way again.

Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah to all!

If you want to try some of the beef from a supplier mentioned upthread, you can order from Niman Ranch online at their website. And, the price is about what you'd pay for that upcharge at Cagney's (4 12oz ribeyes for $119.95). Just so you know...

Ruth's Chris was a very good steakhouse back in the day. My first trip to RC was in 1971 in San Diego. To me, they've expanded so much into a chain and work too hard to maintain consistency across all their restaurants that it has become nothing really special. Yes, it's a still a fine place to dine if you are in an area without local special restaurants. But, in the end, it's a large chain.

Liked your revue and agree with your catagories. Home grilled good steaks beat any restaurant for flavor, which may be in part due to the folks around the grill and the beer they consume during the grilling process. ;)

The two lowest groups; They have some other dishes that have good taste and texture. I always avoid steak in them, as its too hard to cook a thin steak properly. Also your meal may sit under a lamp for awhile if your server is busy (or talking to the other servers).

RuthsCriss; Very good, try one if you get a chance. Have gone to two parties of 24+/- people with limited menu, 2 steak coices and one vegetarian, and everyone was very pleased with the meal. Just because its a successful chain doesn't make it less than it is, though an individual place may be better to some, there will be someone who doesn't think its all that great.

Grass Fed; I worked in and out of Mexico in the 60's. At that time ranchers were buying good bulls in the U. S. if they could afford them as the cattle were pretty lean and all grass-fed. Since there was not a lot of refrigeration most of the beef was fresh, grass fed and without any shots of any kind. That's why some of the authentic Mexican dishes are what they are. Bistek Tampiceña is a very thin slice of tough beef marinated to become one of my favorite beef dishes. Some restaurants now come very close to the flavor, but use better and thicker cuts. I have enjoyed beef in Argentina and Brazil, but they know how to cook the beef they have with the spices and condiments they have.

Specialty Restaurants; I never order steak on a ship!:( I can cook steak at home indoors or outdoors, go to a steakhouse or wait until I get an invitation from a friend who is BBQing steak. On a ship I order things I'm not used to, my favorites are Ossobucco and Asian.

PS: Where we live, the nearest RuthC is 300 miles away, Outback 15 miles and only open for dinner (I don't drive after dark) McD.... but that's not food.

Edited by Taxguy77
sp

Unfortunately, NCL dining isn't four or five star dining, never was and never will be, speciality restaurant or not. NCL food is hotel banquet dining, nothing more. When you are serving up to 10,000 meals a day don't expect the same experience of a restaurant serving 1,000 meals a day. Yes, quantity instead of quality.

Frankly, I am happy and pleased on a cruise to have eatable food. I would never attempt to judge the food aboard a ship to a five star restaurant. A cruise ship doesn't get fresh deliveries everyday. Almost everything is frozen for a week or more. Ask Gordon Ramsey about fresh food?

Order a filet or tenderloin if you desire tender steak. I order food aboard a ship I can't get at home. Since I live in a small town I order the French, Italian and Asian cuisine. I also order the seafood as well. If I wished to dine on pizza or hamburgers, I would have stayed home. I always look forward for the lamb, something I can't find anywhere near my home.

Edited by Don Haynes

Everyone has their opinion but have to laugh that Cagneys is even compared to Ruth Chris or Morton or any steakhouse chain. I dont even think there is a comparison. Cagneys has the best beef or steak I have eaten.

But to each their own.

I think the national chains have the worst beef and steak