Cagney's Steakhouse: A Steak Review

Jeebs

I know nothing about beef other than whether I like it or not when I eat it. My opinion is it used to be yummy and a sure hit. Last few cruises I ventured away from it and ordered other items such as lamb or fish. I will still eat the buffet roasts and Le Bistro's beef. I am still wondering what on earth I ate in Cagney's one evening in 2011.

coka

Edited by coka

I would say don't get caught up in the "labels" of the beef. USDA prime isn't all that great to sniff at. It's just a starting point. Just because it claims to be "aged" doesn't mean anything either. Thats like saying a bottle of wine is aged. .. . If they let things hang there for a couple days, they can call that aged as well. The amount of time that top tier steak houses age their beef is quite absurd at time. Frequently they lose 1/3 of the slab due to aging. It's pretty much a given that the cruise lines do not age their beef. They buy the beef from food processors and if the beef processor claims its aged by a day or two, then it now becomes "aged".

Besides, not sure if people know, but USDA ratings for beet is essentially the amount of fat (marbling) in a steak. has nothing to do with preparation, storage, frozen or not, contains mad cow's disease or whatever. It's just amount of visible marbling of the piece of meat in question. A real poor gauge to how something will taste, but it is a starting point.

I would imagine that the "aged" beef on Carnival is wet aged - as in it's sat in a vacuum packed plastic sleeve for a couple of weeks.

The most intense flavor (read: well broken down tissues, bordering on "funky") I have enjoyed in a steak was at Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. There it was dry aged for a LONG time. A few meals at Prime (Bellagio) and other similar places have allowed me to cross paths with some nice quality steaks.

Prime (grade) is a good starting point, in my opinion, but it is not the sole determinant in quality.

Tom

I am a 65 year old granny with only half my teeth, and as another poster said, I know absolutely nothing about beef, other than if I can chew it and it tastes good.

We must have hit it lucky the night we went to Cagney's on the Star back in September, because I had an excellent filet that I had butterflied, and it was one of two steaks I had during the week that I could eat. The other was a rib eye in the MDR at the Captain's table (don't know if that's why it was better) but I gave up ordering New York strip after three tries and switched to chicken dishes. Even the night they had pork chops, you couldn't cut the chop with the steak knife.

The only thing I didn't like about Cagney's was the surcharge for lobster (on top of the $25 surcharge already paid). We specifically chose Cagney's because of the lobster and then to find out it cost extra was a bummer, so my friend (who loves lobster) ended up not getting it at all during the cruise (which was a first). In our 7 cruises they usually have always had lobster one night.

But I agree with a lot of the other posters, I won't pay the $25 surcharge to go to a specialty restaurant again!

As others have said, and I should have added on my post, the Cagney's breakfast steaks we had in August were fabulous IMO.

Now here is a question - were they fabulous because you're used to a crappy piece of steak in the morning when/if you order steak and eggs - and their steak is of above average in that category (same as dinner)

Or were they truly "fabulous" as in that that piece of steak would be rated "fabulous" if you had it at dinner ??? I've had steak and eggs at breakfast, and would rate it as the same quality as at dinner - which in the overall scheme of things, is "above average" (similar to say outback).

We have dined at Cagney's on each of our seven cruises. I only order the filet because I find most other cuts to have more chance of being tough. Every steak we have had at Cagney"s has been cooked to my specification (medium rare) was tender, juicy and flavorful. I couldn't say why your experience was so different. Just thought I'd share mine.

As for the MDR, in the last couple of cruises I've had problems ordering beef medium rare. The first time I said "medium rare" and the waiter repeated back "medium well". I corrected him, saying "medium RARE". He repeated medium rare and the steak came medium well. The next time I ordered I said medium rare and the waiter repeated correctly. Again it came medium well. Both times I sent it back and it returned correct.

Did you really think you were going to get an 80dollar steak for 25 dollars.Buy the way would you ever consider eating something other than steak. I mean there are so many choices these days . We eat out a lot and would never go to a high end steak house 50 or 60 dollars for a steak and then 8 bucks for a potato or some bad rice peloff ,no thanks

Did you really think you were going to get an 80dollar steak for 25 dollars.

Absolutely not. What I did expect was something worth the EXTRA $25 above the fare already paid. What I got was a steak that can be purchased at any chain restaurant for half what I paid to get into Cagney's.

Buy the way would you ever consider eating something other than steak. I mean there are so many choices these days .

Its a steakhouse...

I tried Cagney's on the Jewel. It was just ok. On the other hand found Le Bistro fabulous. So when we went on the Dawn I chose to celebrate my nephew's 18th in Le Bistro. We split their Chateaubriand for two, it had an upcharge. It was probably the best steak I have had on NCL. I tried several specialty restaurants again on the Sun during my 14 day SA cruise. The steakhouse was toward the bottom of my list of preferences.

My favorite meal at sea was on Celebrity Summit in the Normandie. And earlier this year I was delighted by the Chef's table dinner on the Carnival Paradise. Most definately worth $75 plus $40 in tips.

BTW, i prefer to have lobster in Tepenyaki. I prearrange for extra veggies no rice and just lobster. I pay extra, but worth it to have a lobster tail cooked to order, not overcooked and delightful.

I have the good fortune of being able to enjoy the finer end of the food spectrum since leaving the Marine Corps in 2006.

This is where I stopped reading your review. I mean, c'mon - who can take seriously some guy who probably fought for the Beef Stew MRE? :)

<-- Marine Reservist who left Active Duty in '08 (after 10 years), and has attended Culinary School post-AD...

Thanks for your take on Cagney's, it's was only a couple days ago I posted how Cagneys was always ahit and miss with us mainly a hit but we always knew we could count on the shrimp cocktail were we would order two and if the steak was sent back we would just order more shrimp cocktail.

I really don't understand why NCL has to have this problem is it because they buy cheap cuts of meat or is it in the prep and cooking area because as far as I can see they are not saving any money on us if we end up having 6 shrimp cocktail and top of them throwing the money away for a steak that has to be thrown out.

I have complained to every restaurant mgr and hotel director on every cruise (22) to be exact and all b2b and yet they still continue to blow it. Thank goodness for Le Bistro

And this is where Carnival scored really well is that while we cruised with them in January on Freedom for the first and last time as our overall experience was far less than acceptable they only have one pay restaurant which is their steakhouse, we ate there twice and had memorable steaks and apps. both times.

I find New York strips always fall short if compared to a filet mignon so I never order the NY strips when we cruise. Just on the Spirit and had a wonderful filet at Le Bistro.

Two completely different cuts of beef. The filet is generally the most tender cut but devoid of any flavor. It will remain tender even if overcooked. The flavor in beef is contained in the fat (e.g marbling of NY Strip and rib-eye cuts) and the filet is a very very lean cut of beef. . . Generally people who eat filet cuts are different than people who eat others.

Now, if you are saying that you eat filets over other cuts on a cruise because the others aren't cooked well, well thats another story as well.

The OP is comparing apples and oranges. The lunch at Cagneys is almost like MDR. I had the steak there for lunch and it is like an inexpensive steakhouse for sure. They dont charge extra for it.

The beef they do charge extra for is some of the most expensive beef you can buy. How do I know this? We asked. It is all grass fed cattle, no steroids or other supplements, etc.

I have eaten at Cagneys 6 times on Jewel, Sky, and Epic. I can honestly each time was the best steak I have ever eaten.

My wife is from Argentina and never raves about steak at any restaurant until we ate at Cagneys.

The beef texture, the seasoning, and no fat makes this a yummy experience for me everytime ;)

We have spent $50 or more at other high end steakhouses around our area and we can never find an experience like Cagneys - no joke ;)

OK I am not a "self-proclaimed steak guy" or girl for that matter. But I did marry into a beef farming family. So i figure I'm a pretty good judge of beef.

I loved my steak at Cagneys, it was done to perfection, had a very good flavour and extremely tender. And surprisingly so was my DHs, who always wants his killed, stomped on, as cooked through as possible (or in his words, he doesn't want it still mooing at him when it comes).

But go for it people, knock it down all you wish, because then maybe NCL would lower the cover charge and I could eat there more often than just once a trip. ;)

Edited by che5904

I would say don't get caught up in the "labels" of the beef. USDA prime isn't all that great to sniff at. It's just a starting point. Just because it claims to be "aged" doesn't mean anything either. Thats like saying a bottle of wine is aged. .. . If they let things hang there for a couple days, they can call that aged as well. The amount of time that top tier steak houses age their beef is quite absurd at time. Frequently they lose 1/3 of the slab due to aging. It's pretty much a given that the cruise lines do not age their beef. They buy the beef from food processors and if the beef processor claims its aged by a day or two, then it now becomes "aged".

Besides, not sure if people know, but USDA ratings for beet is essentially the amount of fat (marbling) in a steak. has nothing to do with preparation, storage, frozen or not, contains mad cow's disease or whatever. It's just amount of visible marbling of the piece of meat in question. A real poor gauge to how something will taste, but it is a starting point.

Considering "aging" has to do with mold growth, I can see the meat having to be trimmed. I personally do not like aged beef.

These dining venues are great for those who do not have access to something similar at home, and nothing more. I will never forget when my DH and I were traveling, and, stopping in a small town we enquired as to where a good seafood place was. The answer?

Captain D's...

Edited by Medtech2

I guess I fall into the group that loves the food in Cagney's. The only problem I have with Cagney's is that everything is so good and there is so much food that I feel somewhat bloated when I leave. When we plan on Cagney's I will forgo lunch and possibly breakfast. The appetizers are difficult to choose between and the sides that accompany those delicious, well prepared, steaks are so good. I have eaten at some the most high end "steakhouses" that exist and do not compare Cagney's to those, and at $200 - $250 for a couple at places like Emerils Delmonico there is no fair comparison. As it always shakes out food is subjective, but when someone says that Cagney's has poor quality meats I have to wonder what they are comparing it to.

All this discussion on quality grade etc is a well known to most of us.

Can someone tell me what the grade of meat is served still frozen in the middle.

And what grade/quality of meat is served "over cooked" if this meat is so dam expensive then they need to fire the so called chefs that are cooking.

All this discussion on quality grade etc is a well known to most of us.

Can someone tell me what the grade of meat is served still frozen in the middle.

And what grade/quality of meat is served "over cooked" if this meat is so dam expensive then they need to fire the so called chefs that are cooking.

After seeing how they are required to thaw their meats I seriously doubt you have received a steak still frozen in the middle and being overcooked in that frozen state would be virtually impossible. Do I hear a little over exaggeration going on here?

I guess I fall into the group that loves the food in Cagney's. The only problem I have with Cagney's is that everything is so good and there is so much food that I feel somewhat bloated when I leave. When we plan on Cagney's I will forgo lunch and possibly breakfast. The appetizers are difficult to choose between and the sides that accompany those delicious, well prepared, steaks are so good. I have eaten at some the most high end "steakhouses" that exist and do not compare Cagney's to those, and at $200 - $250 for a couple at places like Emerils Delmonico there is no fair comparison. As it always shakes out food is subjective, but when someone says that Cagney's has poor quality meats I have to wonder what they are comparing it to.

Shhhhh Beaver, all this hoopla may lower the cover charge and we can eat there more often teeheehee :p

Shhhhh Beaver, all this hoopla may lower the cover charge and we can eat there more often teeheehee :p

What is the cover charge now anyway... $25?

Perhaps 3 years ago Carnival raised their steakhouse cover from $25 to $30. Recently Celebrity raised theirs: Tuscan Grille (more comparable with Cagney's) is $30 and Murano is now $40! If anything, NCL will eventually raise theirs as well, and I would not expect to see that additional $ translate into higher grade steaks.

At this point, Carnival delivers the most bang for your buck... along with the best beef. Who knows what changes the future may hold in terms of quality/price, but if the past is any indication...!

Tom