How Much of a Germophobe are you?

SamFritz

How Much a Germophobe are you  

186 members have voted

1. 1. How Much a Germophobe are you

• 1. Germs Shmerms.
    • 2. I take occasional precautions: sanitizer before meals etc.
    • 3. Won't use public restrooms.
    • 4. Carry and use hand sanitizer regualrly.
    • 5. Won't touch a thing, keep the kleenex handy.

There has been a lot of discussion lately about hygene/healthy behavior on the ship. I thought it might be interesting to post a poll. So on a scale from one to five how much of germophobe are you?

1. Germs Shmerms! Our bodies were made to fight that stuff off.

2. I'll try not to spread my germs, but I never really think about picking something up.

3. I always use the hand sanitizer before a meal, and won't use the public rest rooms.

4. I carry my own hand sanitizer and use it before I go to the buffet and before I eat.

5. I won't touch any surface on the ship. Bring a tissue to push elevator buttons, and open door.

At times I think that folks are just plain obsessed with germs. I worked in a hospital for over twenty years where we were taught to use common sense. We washed (scrubbed) our hands frequently. I do the same on a cruise. I use the hand sanitizer when I enter the dining rooms.

I also use handrails, public restrooms, elevator buttons, door knobs, and eat at the buffet. The last sick day I took was in 1982 and I wasn't sick, my wife was and we had two babies at home and I was needed.

So I chose #1--germs...shmerms!;)

#1 Here.

I wash my hands after using the restroom, and before eating meals. I have NEVER used hand sanitizer, and I am sick no more or less than anyone I know who uses it regularly.

Thinking aboout it logically, were we really sick any more often than we are now, before the great hand sanitizer craze?

If there is a lot of coughing and sneezing without said 'cougher' taking any precautions to contain their germs, I am OUT OF THERE. Some of those upper respiratory infections I've gotten on the ships can be hard to shake.

I am about a 2, although I'm not crazy for using public restrooms, especially on cruise ships with no toilet seat covers. I tend to return to the cabin if I'm not too far away from it.

To me what is odd are people who take antibacterial wipes to wipe down the cabin. I can understand wiping off the phone and remote when you first arrive, but to wipe down the cabin? The moment you leave your cabin and go out to public areas, you're amongst whatever germs your fellow pax bring with them. Just watch the tables being wiped down in the buffet, the same dirty towel used over and over, just like in land restaurants. It's just not possible to avoid germs in life.

So, be somewhat cautious and hope for the best. We've been fortunate enough to not get sick on any of our cruises over the years.

Edited by Happy ks

I chose "germs sherms!" I wash my hands frequently for obvious reasons! (School Nurse) However, I have parents who stop by my clinic and ask me why I never get sick and then comment on how "sterile" they keep their homes. Sometimes I have to explain to them that by never being exposed to and fighting off germs, their children cannot develop a healthy immune system!:p

A better ranking would be:

1. The 5 second rule is for wimps. I'll eat anything.

2. I wash my hands after using the bathroom--most of the time.

3. I always squat rather than sit on a public toilet.

4. I own stock in Purell and take my dividends in product.

5. I make Monk look like a slob.

A better ranking would be:

1. The 5 second rule is for wimps. I'll eat anything.

2. I wash my hands after using the bathroom--most of the time.

3. I always squat rather than sit on a public toilet.

4. I own stock in Purell and take my dividends in product.

5. I make Monk look like a slob.

Love it!

On a recent Jewel cruise, I noticed a sign in the ladies room advising passengers to not only wash hands but to use a paper towel to open the ladies room doors when exiting. This is one of my routine habits anyway. If there is only a blow dryer – I use toilet tissue to open the door.

We have been on quite a few ships that were either in Code Red or went into Code Red during the cruise. So we do use the hand sanitizers on the ship. I also carry a small one in our back pack for when we are on excursions and need to clean our hands.

As for those coughing and sneezing around us -- I hate that as most of these people never cover their mouths.

I wash my hands thoroughly after using the bathroom. (Most people give them a rinse at best and don't get under the nails, etc.) I either use the paper towel to pull the door open or use my elbow to push it. (I don't want fecal matter over my clean hands--In the past month I've seen (heard/smelled) at least three people go #2 and leave the bathroom without washing their hands. Gross, gross, gross!)

I wash my hands and work space regularly before and during (not just after) all food prep.

I generally avoid buffets.

I try not to touch handrails. I use a knuckle to press elevator buttons.

I prefer that other people not use my computer so the keyboard stays clean.

I do not use hand sanitizer except if I am someplace where there is no running water. Then I'll use a wipe and sanitizer and wash my hands as soon as possible.

I do have to say, for those who are afraid of people who cough/sneeze... Those people are not always sick. Due to a combination of asthma and allergies, I almost always sound like I'm on death's door. However I am not sick. I have a condition that is not contagious. I cough into the back of my hand or my elbow, I pull my shirt up over my nose and sneeze into my own chest. And although I might sound like death warmed over, when I tell you I feel fine, I really do, and I'm really not going to get you sick--because I'm not.

Edited by ducklite

So here are a few observations (BTW, I went for two, but DW gives herserlf a four):

• No wonder people get sick on cruises ships, three quarters of us don't do much more than the minimum to stay healthy!
  • Maybe we trust the system to maintain the standards of health in public spaces, (i.e. food prep, restroom cleaning, etc.).

But what I was really interested in when I asked this question was to see if there was a lot of noise being made by a vocal minority that created the impression that it was a majority. In the past few weeks I had seen several threads on the Royal Caribbean boards about sanitary conditions at the buffet, the jacuzzis, etc. The threads contained extended responses with multiple horror stories, and no one telling anyone to relax. I was beginning to feel like I needed to step up my health/hygene regimen (a self rated 2) since it seemed like everyone else was much more focused on the war on germs than I was. I am releived, at this point, that my poll suggests that most of us are more like me, and less like my DW!:o

If there is a lot of coughing and sneezing without said 'cougher' taking any precautions to contain their germs, I am OUT OF THERE.

Me, too. Except if it happens on a plane, you really can't get outta there! :-)

I view this as a larger problem than the hand sanitizer issue.

Please don't "hover" over the toilet! I don't thing anyone has even died because their thighs came in contact with a toilet seat!

We wash our hands, just like we do at home. Not a fan of the buffet, and try to use the dining room as much as possible....not because of "germs", but because I LIKE being served!!!!

Please don't "hover" over the toilet! I don't thing anyone has even died because their thighs came in contact with a toilet seat!

We wash our hands, just like we do at home. Not a fan of the buffet, and try to use the dining room as much as possible....not because of "germs", but because I LIKE being served!!!!

I've seen some toilets that the only reason I used them to begin with was out of desperation. Sorry, I'm not sitting on a toilet with fecal matter or blood on it, regardless of how many rolls of TP I plaster the seat with first.

When on a cruise I return to my cabin to use the bathroom.

<sniP>

I do have to say, for those who are afraid of people who cough/sneeze... Those people are not always sick. Due to a combination of asthma and allergies, I almost always sound like I'm on death's door. However I am not sick. I have a condition that is not contagious. I cough into the back of my hand or my elbow, I pull my shirt up over my nose and sneeze into my own chest. And although I might sound like death warmed over, when I tell you I feel fine, I really do, and I'm really not going to get you sick--because I'm not.

Indeed, sometimes they are not contagious 'sick'.......

But sometimes (often) they are. And sometimes they say it is allergies just to excuse themselves for being out and about with no thought for others. If they stayed in their cabin to recover for a day or two, being considerate to others, it wouldn't spread through the whole ship but few do that.

No way to know the difference and I'd just as soon be as far from them as possible. Some of those upper respiratory illnesses we have contracted on ships have been highly contagious and made us plenty sick.

Me, too. Except if it happens on a plane, you really can't get outta there! :-)

I view this as a larger problem than the hand sanitizer issue.

That is the worst!!! I sometimes hand them a wad of kleenex hoping they'll will get the not so subtle hint to at least cover their face and mouth. I also hand them a plastic bag into which they can put their used tissues. Of course, I do it as sweetly as possible indicating I'm trying to help them be more comfortable. :rolleyes: Sorry they are sick but nice if they tried their best to not infect the whole plane with their misery.

Edited by sail7seas

Indeed, sometimes they are not contagious 'sick'.......

But sometimes (often) they are. And sometimes they say it is allergies just to excuse themselves for being out and about with no thought for others. If they stayed in their cabin to recover for a day or two, being considerate to others, it wouldn't spread through the whole ship but few do that.

When people get "that look" and start to edge away from me, I am proactive. I tell them that I have allergies and asthma, and I always sound like this. Usually they get a look of relief. Sometimes they still walk away. I figure that's their problem. Let them go hide from the big bad world in their cabin. I'm not about to because of a non-contagious medical condition that I can't control any more than I already do.

If you bother to look at me, you'll see I don't look ill. My nose isn't red or runny, my eyes are clear, I don't look sick, I have energy and don't act sick--because I'm not.

Having cystic fibrosis i have a compromised immune system, so for example a simple cold can send me to the hospital for weeks. So for that reason I am a total germaphobe. I use sanitizer pretty much when I touch anything. And I use paper or my sleeve to open or close doors. Thing is, I have legit reasons-I'm on 3 weeks of home IV therapy right bc of a cold I caught. Sucks. I have to admit, I am a bit worried about the cruise in May when I hear about all the ship sicknesses that go around. I just figure it can't be as bad as a plane...(i hope)

Having cystic fibrosis i have a compromised immune system, so for example a simple cold can send me to the hospital for weeks. So for that reason I am a total germaphobe. I use sanitizer pretty much when I touch anything. And I use paper or my sleeve to open or close doors. Thing is, I have legit reasons-I'm on 3 weeks of home IV therapy right bc of a cold I caught. Sucks. I have to admit, I am a bit worried about the cruise in May when I hear about all the ship sicknesses that go around. I just figure it can't be as bad as a plane...(i hope)

If you're that compromised... has your doctor actually given the okay for a cruise? When my mother had cancer and had a compromised immune system she wasn't even allowed to leave the house. Travel is one of the worst things you could do if you are in fact very susceptable to germs, especially going into other countries.