tipping the maitre d

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

It really depends on the level of service. If the Maitre d' does nothing special, just his job, I often don't tip. If he or she takes good care of an issue for me or goes out of his or her way to make my experience special I'll tip... up to $20 but I've never tipped more. I had been told that a typical tip was $5.

Recently, Carnival did away with the envelopes that were left in your cabin for a tip for the Maitre d'.

:)

I always wondered why there was an envelope left for him but everyone else was automatically taken care of. When the envelopes were used we usually put a $5 in there and figured if everyone on the ship gave him $5 he'd be doing pretty good! Afterall, this was a tip and not his salary...unless the tips ARE his salary, but I highly doubt that.

They used to make rounds to all the tables to say hi at some point in the trip, but on my last few cruises I have not seen them.

Guess they have gotten lazy over the years.

I still give the guy $2 on the last day, not really sure why...

I do not tip unless the MD has handled a special request or need, and on the rare occasion that I have it's been $20.

It really depends on the level of service. If the Maitre d' does nothing special, just his job, I often don't tip. If he or she takes good care of an issue for me or goes out of his or her way to make my experience special I'll tip... up to $20 but I've never tipped more. I had been told that a typical tip was $5.

Recently, Carnival did away with the envelopes that were left in your cabin for a tip for the Maitre d'.

:)

This is what I feel is appropriate.

We use to tip them but as others wrote you hardly see them.

On our last cruise with Carnival he never came around and we didn't know who he was. We were on the balcony of the dining room. We had a envelop ready to give him but ended up walking out with it. No one other than the waiters ever came to our table so we decided if he couldn't go out of his way we weren't going to chase him down.

My wife has a number of food allergies so the social hostess sometimes asst MD will come over every night to help her order the next evenings dinner.

He/she will always get a nice tip from us.

The MD generally does not special for us and for that gest nothing as a tip. If he did something to enhance our dining experience he will get a tip.

Carnival's NEW policy is to not solicit tips for the Maitre d' and tips are no longer considered as part as their overall compensation package.

If the Maitre d' does you a personal service, you can of course tip him if you desire.

We have tipped him/her if they come to the table to chat a few times during the cruise, but if we never see them except standing at the door on the last night then we don't.

I'm concerned about our dinner table on our upcoming cruise, as we want a table (not a booth) for four. We will find out when we board if we have what we want, and if we don't we will have to see about a change and then I would definitely tip him/her.

Nothing from us as well. On our last cruise, my sister-in-law took a spoonful of her soup and found a small piece of glass. Luckily she didn't get hurt but nothing was done for her but a small apology and off he went. We never heard from him again.

Only twice. On the Triumph, the Maitre 'd would cut my son's steak every night and on Freedom Ken Byrnes sang his Sinatra songs every night. They both got $20 tips. The rest did nothing so they got nothing.

Nevertheless, there is something to be said for them running the whole dining room. If you have great service in the dining room, it is partially because the Maitre 'd is properly training and supervising the wait staff. I may tip from now on if the operation runs smoothly...

Only twice. On the Triumph, the Maitre 'd would cut my son's steak every night and on Freedom Ken Byrnes sang his Sinatra songs every night. They both got $20 tips. The rest did nothing so they got nothing.

Nevertheless, there is something to be said for them running the whole dining room. If you have great service in the dining room, it is partially because the Maitre 'd is properly training and supervising the wait staff. I may tip from now on if the operation runs smoothly...

and you should see the salary he gets for doing that: his job.

and you should see the salary he gets for doing that: his job.

True but you could say that about anyone in a service position. Should we not tip the waiter and assistant? After all they are just doing their jobs as well. The porters? Where do we draw the line?

True but you could say that about anyone in a service position. Should we not tip the waiter and assistant? After all they are just doing their jobs as well. The porters? Where do we draw the line?

they have a significantly reduced salary, rumored at $50 a month, that is augmented by tips.

not so the md. now, if he did a service for me, i might tip him.

but certainly not

"because the Maitre 'd is properly training and supervising the wait staff. I may tip from now on if the operation runs smoothly..."

that is his job.

He does get paid rather well for doing his job.

Archived