is this what ship captains are like?

dr.dawg

As to whether this should undermine our confidence in other skippers on other cruise ships, I'm not sure. But it sure gives one pause - before, I had assumed that the Captains of these cruise vessels were the best of the best - the elite - the cream of the crop. Now, one can at least rightly say that the selection process for skippers for Carnival Corp should at the very least be subject to intensive review and study.

I doubt whether Carnival Corp has much, if anything, to do with the daily running of the ship. It is my understandinb that each of the cruise lines in Carnival Corp are basically autonomous.

Human error. People make stupid mistakes.

I do not know how on earth anyone can say that HAL's Captains, or anyone elses are good, competent, or whatever??? Is this simply based on their impression of the Captain at a social or business event? Or do these people really know what they are talking about. I doubt very much that the majority of people do -let alone decide for some obtuse reason that in general HAL's Captains are better than Costa's Captains. I can't.

Does anyone think that Costa would knowingly place an incompetent person in charge of such a large investment and responsibility for so many lives. I doubt it.

What would people say about the HAL Captain on the Veendam who recently ran into a crane in S. America. Good Captain? Should we judge all HAL Captains by this event. I don't think so.

All of us are just trusting that the Captain is competent and will keep the ship and passengers safe-just like on the an airplane.

I hate to be repeating links, but some are focusing on one thread and some are on another.

Here's what a great captain is like - Captain Bosio - he organized the evacuation on the Costa ship. he was on vacation and headed to Genoa and took charge while the coward headed to shore. So there are good captains out there. Here's the link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

He is a hero!

Exactly Kazu...Captain Bosio is a hero. And just imagine,,,he is a Captain and an Italian. His actions seem contrary to how some extremely narrow minded and completely uninformed people have labelled both attributes.

I think the issue is that people are lazy and depend on some of the NA news outlets for information instead of looking to more comprehensive sources of information. Some of these do not have a reputation for accurate and detailed reports-they tend to focus on areas that excite the reader.

Instead of jumping to conclusions and reading half baked stories (hurried off to make a deadline), some folks might want to wait until complete and accurate information is available.

Roberto Bosio was a Costa master returning home on leave aboard Costa Concordia. He is a master mariner & should not be refered to as captain as it is NOT a rank & he was a passenger. Note : Italian reports refer to just Francesco Schettino - he it no longer captain as he is ashore.

Captain is a curtesy title given to a person in charge of a vessel or plane.

It seems Bosio was on the bridge after the accident as reported previously - he was called 2nd in command in the report.

Some junior officers wanted Bosio to take over & run the evacuation.

So after some time this happens & he no doubt detailed those juniors to follow him & they started the evacuation.

This is my take on the disaster ---- it was not an accident.

Captain Schettino takes the helm & brings the ship too close & collects a rock which opens up the hull & floods the engine room.

The lights go out - most equipment stops working including the steering.

The emergency generator starts up & supplies emergency lighting.

The ship slows down - the anchor is dropped to prevent the vessel going into deeper water. She swings to port & starts to list to starboard.

Eventually capsizing & going aground on the rocks.

John

Master mariner

Sail the crew on the Costa ship mutinied and started lowering the life boats despite the captain's orders. thank heavens they did

I hate to be repeating links, but some are focusing on one thread and some are on another.

Here's what a great captain is like - Captain Bosio - he organized the evacuation on the Costa ship. he was on vacation and headed to Genoa and took charge while the coward headed to shore. So there are good captains out there. Here's the link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

He is a hero!

So are you saying the crew conducted a mutiny because they obeyed Captain Bosio's orders?

The named Master of the vessel had left the ship and another 'company' Captain, stepped in to organize the evacuation.

Indeed, he is Captain of Concordia's sister ship.

Interesting question and I haven't a clue the answer.

So are you saying the crew conducted a mutiny because they obeyed Captain Bosio's orders?

The named Master of the vessel had left the ship and another 'company' Captain, stepped in to organize the evacuation.

Indeed, he is Captain of Concordia's sister ship.

Interesting question and I haven't a clue the answer.

Well, I guess, according to the previous poster I shouldn't have called him captain, but that was the news report said.

The first report i saw said that the crew mutinied.

The report on Bosio only came out today. I've just been following like everyone else. This thing just keeps unfolding and it's scary

Roberto Bosio was a Costa master returning home on leave aboard Costa Concordia. He is a master mariner & should not be refered to as captain as it is NOT a rank & he was a passenger. Note : Italian reports refer to just Francesco Schettino - he it no longer captain as he is ashore.

Captain is a curtesy title given to a person in charge of a vessel or plane.

It seems Bosio was on the bridge after the accident as reported previously - he was called 2nd in command in the report.

So after some time this happens & he no doubt detailed those juniors to follow him & they started the evacuation.

Captain Schettino takes the helm & brings the ship too close & collects a rock which opens up the hull & floods the engine room.

The ship slows down - the anchor is dropped to prevent the vessel going into deeper water. She swings to port & starts to list to starboard.

John

Master mariner

Sorry, I was just calling him as the news article did and they did refer to him as Captain (perhaps to take the focus away from the other one?)

I wonder if wheelchair bound passengers should be limited to the boat deck in case the elevators fail in an evacuation.
There are no cabins of any type on the Promenade deck of Vista or Signature ships. So wheel-chair bound people would not be allowed on those ships? :confused:

Going back to the original post from a survivor it is incredible that the skipper of the life boat ( a waiter) was not tall enough to see out of the window and ended up sitting on another crew members shoulders!! Not much emergency training there!

A cruise liner is still far safer than riding in a car and it will be most interesting to read the exact facts when investigations/court hearings have been concluded. The fact that this cruise was a weekly run also may perhaps confirm the old saying that familiarity breeds contempt.

Just a comment on the issue of physically challenged people and where on a ship they should be berthed. There are specific ways that emergency workers are trained which allow them to transport people who cannot walk, even up and down staircases. I know that HAL crew are trained in at least some of these techniques as I have seen them helping people into and out of tenders. Also, when moving people from harm's way the first choice is usually a lateral move to a distant point away from danger. After that, the choice is to go up or down, as appropriate.

I just felt that there should be some way to expidite their exit in case of an emergency and not delay all the other passengers.

Steve - don't be hard on yourself. We at home had the same discussion and all it was about is seeing the physical limitations you sometimes do on a ship and imagining them in a Concordia like situation without any aid and well......

But as a former lifeguard and aquatic supervisor I do think if you are going to sail on a cruise ship you should be able to swim and have some basic water self preservation techniques like HELP (Heat Escape Lessening Position), treading water, drown proofing, and the travel stroke. And you are never too old to learn.

Captain is a courtesy title given to a person in charge of a vessel or plane.

John

Master mariner

G'day,

A very good synopsis of the accident. (which it was, it certainly was not the aim of the crew to sink the ship.)

regarding the issue to call Capt. Bosio captain or not: We seem to differ in opinion. here is the traditional One might be Master of a certain vessel, however, your title, just as with doctors, lawyers etc. is Captain.

This is standard etiquette in Europe, and has been taught by Maritime Academy Antwerp to me, and later by flight academy, and now my current employer.

Capt. Bosio is a Costa Captain, but was not Master of Costa Concordia.

The Master Certificate is something else, it is the required licence to be able to be a master of a vessel. The holder of a Master Certificate is called Captain. There can be several captains onboard vessel, but only one is the master.

Same in aviation, there can be several Captains on the flightdeck, but only one is designated as Pilot in Command (Commander)

example:

Captain Tim Hall

Master ms. Norsea

Trivial, I know and aparantly Australian tradition sees this otherwise. I find this interesting though as there might be some cultural diffenences explaining this I guess. European tradition might be more formal wether Australia is a very informal country as far as I can tell when my job brings me to your coasts...

Sincerely yours,

Despegue

Captain B747-400

Consultant on Aviation and Maritime Safety

My Dad and I cruised together for about eight years. For the first severn years, he used a cane. He could get around quite well. On our last cruise, he needed to use a rollator for long distances. (This was not a HAL cruise.) When we reported for the muster drill in the lounge, there was a LOOOONG discussion among the crew about whether or not he needed to report to the life boat. He said he wanted to know where his life boat was,so they allowed us to leave the lounge early so we could make it to the life boat. Notations were made as to our cabin, the fact that Dad needed a rollator for long distances and that he would need assistance if he needed to evacuate the ship. Would Dad "delay the evacuation" of others? Not to any great degree. He was more than able to keep up with the crowd as we returned to our cabins.

I beg to differ re the title of Captain. UK / Australian understanding.

Roberto Bosio would be employed as master by his company - although they would no doubt say he was one of their captains.

He signs on as master. As he then has a ship he is the Captain.

Having a master class 1 certificate does not entitle you to be called captain. Many do big-note themselves by saying or calling themselves captain, but this is incorrect & under USA, UK & Australian law they could be charged with impersonating an officer.

This is a very old law but is still used today when someone pretends to be a police officer.

Most ships would have 2 or more officers with masters certificates in the navigation / deck department - but only 1 signs on as master. Therefore one captain.

As far as I am concerned the only captains ashore are active & retired defence forces, police & coastguard. There maybe some others.

The ex master of Costa Concordia is being refered to by the judge & others as MR. The media are getting it wrong as usual.

Archived